• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you believe in God?[W:359]

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters
Re: Do you believe in God?

1. there is nothing material about it.
2. entropy

1. Intelligence is an emergent property of the brain, which is most definitely material
2. Entropy applies to a closed system, which our planet is not. The sun ensures a constant influx of energy.

Most people do, what about you?

I believe in life eternal and I believe it is a giant circle. i will die the earth worms, maggots, vultures, will eat me and poop me out. That poop will fertilize the grass. That grass will feed the cows. Those cows will feed your children......and on and on.

I did not answer the poll because I do not consider it appropriate to discuss (and in that way expose) one's spiritual beliefs (or lack thereof) with effectively anonymous strangers. I respect the rights of the OP to hold certain beliefs, and I would not even consider holding them up to ridicule. But I must confess to having reservations about the manner in which his question was put - the clear implication being that, if most Americans share his beliefs (as he supposes), those beliefs are thus validated.

My attitudes to religious believers is exemplified by an experience last weekend. I was doing some swotting up at my aunt's place in the mountains on Saturday, when the door bell went. I was the only one there so I opened the door to an elderly man and woman dressed in dark clothing. Ignoring the insult implicit in the woman's question "Are your parents at home?" (I am 18, not 8); I politely asked if I might help them.

I was then subjected to a lengthy diatribe about how the world had gone awry, and asked if I would like the answer to the earth's troubles, together with a copy of 'The Watchtower'. As gently as I could, I told the lady that I greatly respected her for what she was doing, and that, while I respected her beliefs - I did not share them. She was very nice about it, but persisted along the lines of "You are too young to understand how easily Satan deceives people like you ..." and how the two of them could enlighten me. It took me ages to convince them that I really had to get on with my studies, and that I was really not interested. I was never impolite and we parted pleasantly, but it fortified my view that people are welcome to praise whatever Gods they believe in, but it is preferable they be quiet about it.

I support Arsenal, but I do not press that support upon anyone else. So to the OP, I am inclined to ask - with respect; "Why are my spiritual beliefs of any consequence to you?"

2. entropy
- Entropy does not apply to every physical principle. It primarily refers to thermodynamics, and the most important feature of entropy is that it only works that way in a CLOSED system. Outside factors can reduce or reverse entropy.

- Entropy doesn't even remotely apply to evolution.

Source: Science.

Last edited:

2. entropy

Please explain how entropy bars natural development of intelligence.

That they might both be wrong, and we don't exactly know what happened?

There is no god, and intelligence didn't just develop on its own?

No, we don't know what happened. Maybe space aliens??

There is no god, and intelligence didn't just develop on its own?

No, we don't know what happened. Maybe space aliens??

Maybe a unicorn ****ed a platypus, who knows? We have ideas of how it might have gone down, but human intelligence is some pretty complex ****.

I believe in God, but God is entirely transcendent. It's impossible for us humans to understand God. For me, God is an abstract concept. Maybe it does not even matter so much if God exists "out there" or just in the minds of humans.

The only way to get a remote understanding of God is through His messengers: Moses, Krishna, Buddha, Jesus, Mohammed or Baha'u'llah. But the way they describe God is not the "real deal", just very limited analogies suited for the limited human mind.

The need to explain existence with God is no more true than the need of the Greeks to explain volcanic eruption with Hades...

There is no need to "explain existence with God." Millions of souls have come and gone throughout the course of human history embracing and espousing "God" concepts of an unfathomable variety. Still, these souls passed through their brief existence, from birth to death, regardless of the ultimate veracity of their particular "God" concept neither better nor worse for the experience for as much as we presently extant humans can presently know.

The primal perception of an awesome, omnipresent, universal entity preceded the evolution of human objectivity and all its subsequent concepts, including the myriad of God concepts which have evolved concomitant with human experience, up to this very day. It is one of the great absurdities of human neurological evolution that we have been veiled from this most precious primal perception which other sentient beings, including our own cats and dogs, readily enjoy.

There is no need to "explain existence with God." Millions of souls have come and gone throughout the course of human history embracing and espousing "God" concepts of an unfathomable variety. Still, these souls passed through their brief existence, from birth to death, regardless of the ultimate veracity of their particular "God" concept neither better nor worse for the experience for as much as we presently extant humans can presently know.

The primal perception of an awesome, omnipresent, universal entity preceded the evolution of human objectivity and all its subsequent concepts, including the myriad of God concepts which have evolved concomitant with human experience, up to this very day. It is one of the great absurdities of human neurological evolution that we have been veiled from this most precious primal perception which other sentient beings, including our own cats and dogs, readily enjoy.

Are you saying you think that dogs and cats can perceive god?

If so, that's an interesting theological concept.

I am so i believe.

If I would be not .... I wouldn't be able to answer.

I believe in A Power greater then myself, yes.

What is God?

If God is the ultimate mathematical equation of the universe, then yes, I believe in God.

If God is a white male with serious jealousy and rage issues who judges or punishes people based on archaic laws written by men claiming to speak for God...(deep breath)...then hell no.

Did.

Not.

Vote.

Poor showing, gnave.

Last edited:

I believe there is some sort of force that is branded as "God" and worshped through a variety of religions around the world. To me God is who/what ever you need God to be to have a happy and loving life.

Not really... intelligence could evolve as species learn how to better adapt. Nothing silly, naive or illogical about that at all... ;)
Sure, supposing such a process somehow became manifest from absolute nothingness to begin with.

The entire spectrum of life, emotions, sentience and intelligence. Even love itself.

All somehow blinked into existence for no reason whatsoever? Yeah, okay. I find such a suggestion more far-fetched than God ever could be.

I was trying to invoke a reaction more than anything. Agreed. The "need" for their to be a God and salvation along with everlasting life is very comforting ideas and I can also see why so many people believe. After being indoctrinated from birth most can't see any other way of thinking.
Must it be a 'need'? Can it not be a belief? Even a belief informed by personal insight and experience?

I wasn't raised in a religious household, but I'm a believer nonetheless.

I sometimes wish that God would make Himself known, in so obvious a fashion as to bedazzle every last human being on the face of the earth.

Just for the sake of being childish enough to enjoy the utter shock and horror from the atheist community.

****, what I wouldn't give to be a fly on that wall. :lol:

I sometimes wish that God would make Himself known, in so obvious a fashion as to bedazzle every last human being on the face of the earth.

Just for the sake of being childish enough to enjoy the utter shock and horror from the atheist community.

Dont hold your breath.

Why would atheists be horrified?

And what if the god that shows up isn't the one you believe in?
The odds are fairly strong that would be the case.

Most atheists wouldn't care. Most care about reality. If God is real, so be it. Let us know when you can prove God is real.

I wish there were some stats on how many atheists accept our lord and savior Jesus Christ on their death bed.....Sadly I am at a time of my life where long time friends are dying and several who had given up on religion did exactly that. If this life on earth was all there is how sad would it be.......

I wish there were some stats on how many atheists accept our lord and savior Jesus Christ on their death bed.....Sadly I am at a time of my life where long time friends are dying and several who had given up on religion did exactly that. If this life on earth was all there is how sad would it be.......

Not sad just reality. Having almost died, I can tell you that I did not find any god or your jesus. What I did find was that I have really good friends and family, which in my book counts for a lot more than legends. And I also learned that time is of the essence. The way I look at it is that theists tend to be believing that life will continue forever while they waste the little time that they have alive. Is there a god? Is there an afterlife? What if you knew there wasnt? How would that affect how you live right now?

Back
Top Bottom