• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do You Believe In Ghost Sightings??

No, I don’t believe in ghosts. I have never seen any evidence of ghosts that couldn’t be explained by a more natural explanation. The brain is one complicated piece of flesh and from time to time it can act wacky in even the sanest of individuals.

Have I seen something? Yes. Can I say for certain it was a ghost? No. I have a healthy skepticism but I leave the door to the possibility open. (plus Ghost stories are so much fun)

I agree and good ghost stories are fun, got any books or videos you recommend? I don't have any I really know I just randomly watch some or just read generic scary stories. The ghost movies I like the most are the ones that never really show anything and leave it up to your imagination, mine always seems to provide something really scary.

I used to love to read "scary stories to read in the dark" when I was younger, anyone else? Those pictures alone were scary enough!

At one point and time I bought into the ghost phenomena. I saw enough ghost hunting shows, internet videos, pictures, etc. and I don't believe they exist. I'll stop there before I piss some people off.

No need to stop, let us know how you really feel. I don't see why someone would get mad unless you would insult them for just believing in something you didn't and a nice man like you wouldn't do that. :mrgreen:

I am the youngest in my family, when i was very little a house we used to rent, a man before we moved in had died in the back bedroom of the house. that room was given to my sister, and she would hear noises in the night. but one thing that did happen was everyone in my family told me the saw a ghost, of a man walk in the living room where my family was watching t.v. and sit on the end of the couch, they all believe in ghost now.

I used to love to read "scary stories to read in the dark" when I was younger, anyone else? Those pictures alone were scary enough!

Ok I just found the scary stories to tell in the dark audiobooks on YouTube. I am totally going to listen to some right now.

So I was on youtube just watching a bunch of different stuff and this one video came up about ghost sightings and pictures. Watched it and then a few more. To me most of the stuff is false and was made. Only a few of the pictures I saw actually looked real. So what's your opinion on ghost sightings? Have you ever had a real life experience??

i can honestly say that i don't know.

i have seen what i believed at the time was a ghost. it was my sophomore year in college, and it was in the dorm that i lived in. all year long, odd things happened in my room. a clock would get knocked off of a shelf for no reason; i'd come back from class, and things that i was sure i'd left on one desk were on the other side of the room. this wouldn't be odd if i had a roommate, but i didn't. maybe the RA was ****ing with me or something, i don't know. by the end of the year, my girlfriend was so creeped out that she wouldn't stay in the room by herself. my buddy down the hall also started seeing odd things in his room. the vibe i got was positive; almost like there was a prankster around. i will say on occasions when i got mad about something, the weird things kind of picked up.

anyway, the "ghost" was a popular topic of conversation between me and my friends by the end of the year. i remember saying to my buddy, "you know, if the ghost would just show up during daylight hours at like 2:30 in the afternoon and say 'hey, i'm the ghost, how's it going' or something, then it wouldn't be so spooky and i'd be ok with it." at the end of the year, i was taking a nap after class, and when i woke up, i looked over at my stereo. kneeling next to it, i saw an old, heavyset man in bib overalls. he looked like a farmer, and was holding a farm tool like a hay fork. he looked at me, smiled, and winked. then he disappeared into a pinpoint of light. i was so freaked out that i couldn't move for a minute, and then i got the hell out of the room. also, it was 2:35 pm.

my buddy's girlfriend also saw something around the same time, but i can't remember if i told them about it before her experience.

anyway, since then, i've read about a condition called sleep paralysis, and it pretty much explains seeing the ghost.

Sleep paralysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i will also say that there have been a couple times when i open my eyes and the dreams don't immediately stop. i've also opened my eyes while going to sleep, and sometimes i see odd things like sticks growing out of the bed / bars floating in the air. my assumption is that it's all sleep paralysis.

as for ghosts, though, i think i find it scarier to believe that there's no afterlife of any kind. if we just shut down like an old computer sent to the junkyard, that is terrifying. i tend to believe that we cycle on to some other life or plane, but no one knows for sure, and neither do i.

I agree and good ghost stories are fun, got any books or videos you recommend? I don't have any I really know I just randomly watch some or just read generic scary stories. The ghost movies I like the most are the ones that never really show anything and leave it up to your imagination, mine always seems to provide something really scary.

I can't think of any by name off the top of my head. When I was in my early to mid teens I used to read some and when I was in college a group of us used to frequent all the haunted places we could find. I used to have some collections of ghost stories--the folk tale type, not the slasher type--but I gave most of those books away somewhere along the way (as in people borrowed them and never returned them). I think I still have one that is a collection of ghost stories from Appalachia but I will have to locate it.

At some point, reading UFO stories overtook my ghost stories thing, which was then displaced by the something else. I go on theme binges in my reading and then go onto the next theme.

I know this is a bit off topic, but my dad used to have to dreams about people before they died. One I remember particularly him telling me about was about a close family friend named Nancy. My dad said that in his dream he was walking along the edge of a cliff, and there was bench with his grandmother sitting there. He was happy to see her and went to sit down next to her, and she said, no, this seat is saved for Nancy _______. About a week later, Nancy died. That's really creepy IMO.

He had a dream about me once too, and he was afraid to let me leave the house for a while afterwards! :lol:

I know this is a bit off topic, but my dad used to have to dreams about people before they died. One I remember particularly him telling me about was about a close family friend named Nancy. My dad said that in his dream he was walking along the edge of a cliff, and there was bench with his grandmother sitting there. He was happy to see her and went to sit down next to her, and she said, no, this seat is saved for Nancy _______. About a week later, Nancy died. That's really creepy IMO.

He had a dream about me once too, and he was afraid to let me leave the house for a while afterwards! :lol:

I had something very bizarre that I would consider some sort of subconscious precognition driven episode happen the afternoon one of my brothers died unexpectedly. I suddenly felt compelled to download a couple songs and listen to them obsessively. I couldn't focus or think or do anything but listen to those songs over and over and over and over for about two hours. Found out later that was about the same time the events leading to his death started, and the two songs were two of the three he had told his girlfriend he had wanted played at his funeral. Only time something like that has happened to me. Still creeps me out a little when I think about it. Never told anyone about it though.

I had something very bizarre that I would consider some sort of subconscious precognition driven episode happen the afternoon one of my brothers died unexpectedly. I suddenly felt compelled to download a couple songs and listen to them obsessively. I couldn't focus or think or do anything but listen to those songs over and over and over and over for about two hours. Found out later that was about the same time the events leading to his death started, and the two songs were two of the three he had told his girlfriend he had wanted played at his funeral. Only time something like that has happened to me. Still creeps me out a little when I think about it. Never told anyone about it though.

Sorry to hear about your brother. Yeah, that's pretty strange for sure!

I've had a couple experiences over the years. Seeing, hearing, and feeling things that are out of the ordinary. I'm more more a spiritual person than a religious one at this point in my life.

Sorry to hear about your brother. Yeah, that's pretty strange for sure!

Thanks. That was a few years back. He had been having neurological issues, including random seizures, after he fell a pretty good distance. They could never quite get a handle on the issues. And that day he had a series of seizures and his heart stopped, the EMS resuscitated him once for a few minutes, and then it happened again and they could never get him back into a life-sustaining rhythm once he reached the ER. From what his GF told us, the EMS did a hell of an effort on scene though with a team of about 6 people working on him non-stop and then the ER code team worked on him for a long time once he got there.

Only Casper is real. The rest are phoneys.

Thanks. That was a few years back. He had been having neurological issues, including random seizures, after he fell a pretty good distance. They could never quite get a handle on the issues. And that day he had a series of seizures and his heart stopped, the EMS resuscitated him once for a few minutes, and then it happened again and they could never get him back into a life-sustaining rhythm once he reached the ER. From what his GF told us, the EMS did a hell of an effort on scene though with a team of about 6 people working on him non-stop and then the ER code team worked on him for a long time once he got there.

That's terrible! How old was he if you don't mind my asking?

That's terrible! How old was he if you don't mind my asking?

41 I think. I know when he died, but I cannot recall if it was before or after his birthday--I have a huge family and birthdays all run together in my head. He had been going down hill healthwise so we pretty much knew he would likely die premature, just not when he did. He had also been drinking A LOT after the accident since all the neurological issues had stripped him of the ability to do all the things he normally did I guess, which probably accelerated/aggravated whatever was going on.

41 I think. I know when he died, but I cannot recall if it was before or after his birthday--I have a huge family and birthdays all run together in my head. He had been going down hill healthwise so we pretty much knew he would likely die premature, just not when he did. He had also been drinking A LOT after the accident since all the neurological issues had stripped him of the ability to do all the things he normally did I guess, which probably accelerated/aggravated whatever was going on.

Sounds like he had a couple of issues going on. What a shame.

Sounds like he had a couple of issues going on. What a shame.

Yeah he had a lot of issues going on. If I can say I learned from anyone else's mistakes it would definitely have been his.

I'd like to believe in ghosts, bigfoot, the lockness monster, UFOs, or any other number of crazy things. Hell! I used to sit by my window late at night as a child in the vain hope that I might happen to see something spooky go loping by my house in the wee hours.

However, in spite of my desire, I still have as of yet to see or experience anything that one might describe as being even remotely "supernatural." :shrug:

I don't necessarily think it is impossible for some people to have seen or interacted with "spirits" (or demons masquerading as the same) in their day-to-day lives, but I think it would be an understatement to say that legitimate examples of such events probably tend to be quite rare. The vast majority of ghost sightings are undoubtedly the result of overactive imaginations, mental derangement, or simple hoaxes.

I'd like to believe in ghosts, bigfoot, the lockness monster, UFOs, or any other number of crazy things. Hell! I used to sit by my window late at night as a child in the vain hope that I might happen to see something spooky go loping by my house in the wee hours.

However, in spite of my desire, I still have as of yet to see or experience anything that one might describe as being even remotely "supernatural." :shrug:

I don't necessarily think it is impossible for some people to have seen or interacted with "spirits" (or demons masquerading as the same) in their day-to-day lives, but I think it would be an understatement to say that legitimate examples of such events probably tend to be quite rare. The vast majority of ghost sightings are undoubtedly the result of overactive imaginations, mental derangement, or simple hoaxes.

Me neither, but I still get scared when I'm alone and hear weird sounds at night! :lol:

Me neither, but I still get scared when I'm alone and hear weird sounds at night! :lol:

If you're not at least a little bit worried that the thing from Paranormal Activity might decide to drag you out of bed by your foot some night or another, you're simply not human. ;)

It doesn't matter how old I get. I'll always be afraid of the dark to some degree. Honestly, this is probably true of most people.

If you're not at least a little bit worried that the thing from Paranormal Activity might decide to drag you out of bed by your foot some night or another, you're simply not human. ;)

It doesn't matter how old I get. I'll always be afraid of the dark to some degree. Honestly, this is probably true of most people.

I don't care what anyone says, that movie was creepy as hell. :shock:

I remember when I was a kid I would stand on my bed and jump out away from "under the bed" :lol: I don't do that anymore though I swear! ;)

I don't care what anyone says, that movie was creepy as hell. :shock:

I remember when I was a kid I would stand on my bed and jump out away from "under the bed" :lol: I don't do that anymore though I swear! ;)

Just sleep with a baseball bat or something nearby. Ya know... "Just in case." :mrgreen:

Show them spooks who's boss! :lol:

Just sleep with a baseball bat or something nearby. Ya know... "Just in case." :mrgreen:

Show them spooks who's boss! :lol:

Do baseball bats work on ghosts? I was thinking more along the lines of holy water or garlic or something. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom