• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do you believe China has the ability to destoy more than 100 cities of US?

What this general said was retarded. Anyways, I am hoping that no country would resort to nukes to test their power.

Convential military in China is not something to be underestimated. I think the US would win in a confrontation with China, but there would be heavy losses on the US side as well. As for conquering China, that would be pretty much impossible without nukes. China is playing catch up with its military and its doing a formidable job.

nkgupta- You think what this General said was retarded? No need to comment on that! Personally gupta, I think most of the members on this forum may be retarded.

nkgupta80 said:
What this general said was retarded. Anyways, I am hoping that no country would resort to nukes to test their power.

Convential military in China is not something to be underestimated. I think the US would win in a confrontation with China, but there would be heavy losses on the US side as well. As for conquering China, that would be pretty much impossible without nukes. China is playing catch up with its military and its doing a formidable job.

To say it is playing catch up is an overstatement, they are not developing new technology rather they are buying military "kits" to bring their main level of ground troops into a status of mid 1980's technology.

frankguy said:
1. The war US attacked Iraq is not a balance war. US has sanctioned Iraq for ten years.[/QUOTE

Maybe you don't realy understand. In my country we have freedom of the press. Any and all information is reported and easily learned. Did you not know it was the UN that sanctioned Iraq? Your nation abstained, not the same as voting against. Your nation has veto power also. That wasn't used. Was you're nations posistion on the UN resolutions influenced by the fact you were seeling weapoms to Iraq? I thought you were a PHD. Have your facts straight and we can have productive debates. Trying to prove me wrong with lies childish.This time I give you the benefite of the doubt that you were missinformed or uninformed.

China will not bite the hand that feeds them, nor would many of you leave the comfort and security of your parents basement, it's really very simple!;)

teacher said:
I stay in the garage. Some of us would throw tea in the harbour. Very few though.

Tea?

That was British rule, what are you willing to throw overboard now?

V.I. Lenin said:
In terms of military strength, they are up there. They aren't high tech by any means, but they have the sheer numbers to put up a powerful attack. If it DID happen, I see it like if the Soviets fought Nazi Germany again, sheer numbers versus powerful but expensive weapons.

How are they going to land troops in Taiwan? Are they going to swim here?

How are they going to land troops in Taiwan? Are they going to swim here?

Hundreds of Transports and planes and the willingness to suffer hundreds of thousands of dead as you brave Taiwanese fight like hell. Projections predict you guys would kill close 700,000 of them and fight on for two weeks if you were left alone. The US 7th fleet would eventually be overwhelmed by so much aerial power, true US planes can probably deal with 10 Jian 25's at once, but what happens when 50 Jian 25's are coming? The US fleet would butcher thousands in the invasion wave before being overwhelmed.

superskippy said:
Hundreds of Transports and planes and the willingness to suffer hundreds of thousands of dead as you brave Taiwanese fight like hell. Projections predict you guys would kill close 700,000 of them and fight on for two weeks if you were left alone. The US 7th fleet would eventually be overwhelmed by so much aerial power, true US planes can probably deal with 10 Jian 25's at once, but what happens when 50 Jian 25's are coming? The US fleet would butcher thousands in the invasion wave before being overwhelmed.

I think you are being overly optimistic. China's navy is overrated and doesn't have the capacity to project a significant amount of power far from its coasts. Taiwan has a strong defense capacity and can certainly withstand a Chinese assault at the present time for at least a month. That is enough time for both Japan and the United States to come to Taiwan's aid. Don't forget, Japan is a factor in all of this and their Self Defense Forces are formidable and are specifically designed for the kind of defense that Taiwan would require as Taiwan and Japan are very similiar countries geographically.

Japan would only commit if the US commited, as Japan cannot become a belligerant unless the will of the US dictates it or it is attacked, true china only has Landing ships X 17+: Including 10 Type 072II (Yuting class) LST , 7 Type 072 (Yukan class) LST, 4 Qiongsha class troop transport ships, a hospital ship, and 4 Yudao class LSMs, but those are of frigate class size, of smaller transport's they have hundreds. If China crossed into Taiwan on the way over they would suffer extreme damages from Taiwanese artillary and planes, then the US 7th fleet would intercept as many China's aircraft as possible and try to deal with the Chinese Flotella's, however the trouble with China is it focuses on Force Projection, this means the amount of troops it would mobelize into action for the assault would consist of hundreds of ships and hundreds of aircraft, If China got a good foothold on the mainland of Taiwain military projections say that you would hold out for 1-2 weeks and killed close to a million Chinese, plus joint Taiwan-US attacks on the ship's would kill thousands.

superskippy said:
Japan would only commit if the US commited, as Japan cannot become a belligerant unless the will of the US dictates it or it is attacked,

Honestly, five years ago, I would have agreed with that statement. Today, I am not so sure. It is clear that the defense establishment in Japan regards China as the main threat to its long-term security, not without reason I might add. They also know that Chinese conquest of Taiwan would make it all that much easier for China to threaten Japanese claims to the Senkaku (Diaoyu) Islands and other islands in the Ryukyu chain as well as the disputed EEZ in the East China Sea.

true china only has Landing ships X 17+: Including 10 Type 072II (Yuting class) LST , 7 Type 072 (Yukan class) LST, 4 Qiongsha class troop transport ships, a hospital ship, and 4 Yudao class LSMs, but those are of frigate class size, of smaller transport's they have hundreds. If China crossed into Taiwan on the way over they would suffer extreme damages from Taiwanese artillary and planes, then the US 7th fleet would intercept as many China's aircraft as possible and try to deal with the Chinese Flotella's, however the trouble with China is it focuses on Force Projection, this means the amount of troops it would mobelize into action for the assault would consist of hundreds of ships and hundreds of aircraft, If China got a good foothold on the mainland of Taiwain military projections say that you would hold out for 1-2 weeks and killed close to a million Chinese, plus joint Taiwan-US attacks on the ship's would kill thousands.

This is a more realistic assessment. The chances of the Chinese at this point landing a significant number of forces in Taiwan is small, especially in a short term engagement. China would suffer heavy losses. Failure on the part of the Chinese would result in massive unrest at home. Massive losses would result in the same. The ChiCom leadership says that China is willing to sustain massive losses to reclaim Taiwan, however, they never consulted their on people in making such statements. I seriously doubt the Chinese people would tolerate such losses or the loss of every city east of Xi'an as recently boasted by a Chinese general.

These are all only intentions of China. Who knows what their real timetable is. The point is China is expanding in all aspects of its infrastructure including its military, and the only check in the area to keep China from increasing its influence is the US. The rate at which China is growing is alarming, even compared to the astounding German and Japanese miracles (brought on by US aid). Considering China has the second largest reserve in dollars, yet not a US puppet like Japan, its a force to be reckoned with.

nkgupta80 said:
, and the only check in the area to keep China from increasing its influence is the US.

The United States needs to work with the other democratic states in the region (currently South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia, and nominally Thailand and Cambodia) in order to keep the Pacific Asia region safe for democracy. Even a handful of the region's non-democratic states (i.e. Viet Nam, Laos, Singapore and Brunei) are concerned enough about the Chinese threat to either seek closer cooperation with the United State or to at least acknowledge the role the U.S. plays to the long term peace and stability to the region.

Unfortunately, two of the regions totalitarian states, North Korea and Burma, are nearly completely controlled by China already much as Syria has been controlling Lebanon.

teacher said:
Where is frankguy?

He probably had to check with his handler for instructions. He obviously wasn't prepared for the level of intellectual thought he would face on ChiCom related issues as he has gotten on this forum.

:fathers_d :2funny:

It's father's day here tomorrow, hence the Father's Day smilie.

ludahai said:
I call 'em as I see 'em. The truth hurts sometimes you know.

:fathers_d Happy Father's Day from Taiwan

Man thank god it's just Taiwan.

I was freaking out. Thought I'd missed it again.:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom