• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you avoid American products

Do you avoid American products?

• I never buy American products, I think...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't really know where things are from but try to avoid American stuff.

• I am aware, I try to avoid American products sometimes.

• Total voters

Maximus Zeebra

MoG
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
We all know America is not what it used to be. Has things changed as a result?

Personally I stay educated about origin of products if it be actual origin or partly origin or that a source of profit goes where. I actively avoid American products whenever I can to show my disgust of what is going on with America.

Sometimes I dont care and buy a Coke or a Mars bar, I am not 100 percent strickt. I just generally avoid American products whenever I can.

How about you?

Nope, I just buy whatever, though I find your stance amusing, do you also avoid Chinese products?

Nope, I just buy whatever, though I find your stance amusing, do you also avoid Chinese products?

No? I avoid Chinese products where American companies are involved however.

Is that the reason you ask, or do you ask in the belief I view China as a negative influence on the world?

No? I avoid Chinese products where American companies are involved however.

Is that the reason you ask, or do you ask in the belief I view China as a negative influence on the world?

Just curious, I view the way China treats it's own citizens as far worse than anything the US is doing. What are specific actions of America do you dislike so much that you boycott American products?

I do not boycott countries, I just boycott shops/chains that boycott countries.

I avoid products from companies that I have ethical or other issues with. However, its by the company, not the country.

Just curious, I view the way China treats it's own citizens as far worse than anything the US is doing. What are specific actions of America do you dislike so much that you boycott American products?

Yes they are, but the Chinese are moving in a good direction, things are getting better for people there, aside from that they never claimed to be perfect, never claimed to be better than everyone else.

America however is declining, peoples rights and freedoms are declining, its moving in a bad direction, yet they stand on a pedestole and preach everyones if they are in a position to do so, claiming that they are what they no longer are, that others should follow their example, as if we still live in 1990. This arrogant hypocrisy and complete lack of self awareness and savage and ignorant actions take is the reason I no longer like or have any admiration at all for current American ideals and policies and so fourth.

I am however on the side and admire those that fight for the real America as I like to think of it as, America with integrity, an open and free society, a society that stood as an example without having to preach, simply by action. Unfortunately America anno 2011 is nothing the same as America anno 1991, or even better America anno 1911.

Not many American made products around in Europe.. if any.

Some American owned products like Coke and Mars and what not, but no I do not avoid them at all. Most of the products I dont even see as American since they are made in Europe, by Europeans, and their profits are taxed in Europe.

I avoid products from companies that I have ethical or other issues with. However, its by the company, not the country.

so for extreme example you would be fine with buying a product from a German company in 1938 or even 1942? or from Serbia 1993?

so for extreme example you would be fine with buying a product from a German company in 1938 or even 1942? or from Serbia 1993?

Did that company participate in the current goings on at the time?

Did that company participate in the current goings on at the time?

Company A is directly involed with whats going on.
Company B is indirectly involved.
Company C is not involved but indirectly contributing.
Company D is have taken a stance against and is not involved and not contributing, but indirectly contributing by being part of the economy.
Company E left the country and opened up a business elsewhere.

Company A is directly involed with whats going on.
Company B is indirectly involved.
Company C is not involved but indirectly contributing.
Company D is have taken a stance against and is not involved and not contributing, but indirectly contributing by being part of the economy.
Company E left the country and opened up a business elsewhere.

probably all but e.

There are other considerations, such as not wanting to empower a national enemy.

probably all but e.

There are other considerations, such as not wanting to empower a national enemy.

national enemy only? or ideological enemy also? what if the national enemy is right and your nation is incorrect?

I think ideology matters far more than nationality, the problem in my opinion is nations as they adopt a set of ideologies, now often ideologies of a ruling class rather than an ideology of the people.

I am against nationalism for example. we are all humans, we should be able to support similar common interest ideology.

I would always buy american except that I cant find made in america 3/4s of the time and NEVER on alot of products....Like TVs, small appliances and sneakers...just to name a few...our corporate friends have destroyed us....

I love many American products, because they address my needs. In some cases, better than non-American replacements could address my needs. Actually, that America produces such products is a big plus for America in my book. One of the few things that are really great about American capitalism.

Also, I don't see America as an "ideological enemy". I don't agree with the low focus on social issues in America compared to Europe, and I wouldn't want to live there, but I believe this is a matter up for Americans to decide. As long as they have a sufficiently free political system, they can vote for alternatives, and when they don't, that's really their business.

Oh, and I also disagree with some foreign policy decisions of the US governments. Maybe I would even go so far saying that some of the problems I see with that are systemic, rather than party dependent, I am not sure. But on the bottom line, America is still influencing the world more for the better, than for the worse, IMO.

Yes they are, but the Chinese are moving in a good direction, things are getting better for people there, aside from that they never claimed to be perfect, never claimed to be better than everyone else.

America however is declining, peoples rights and freedoms are declining, its moving in a bad direction, yet they stand on a pedestole and preach everyones if they are in a position to do so, claiming that they are what they no longer are, that others should follow their example, as if we still live in 1990. This arrogant hypocrisy and complete lack of self awareness and savage and ignorant actions take is the reason I no longer like or have any admiration at all for current American ideals and policies and so fourth.

I am however on the side and admire those that fight for the real America as I like to think of it as, America with integrity, an open and free society, a society that stood as an example without having to preach, simply by action. Unfortunately America anno 2011 is nothing the same as America anno 1991, or even better America anno 1911.

So you despise America and support China not because of what they are, but what they may be at a point in the future, great logic. :roll:

Yeah, 1911. When we sent 8 year old children to work in factories and women had next to no rights. That was a GREAT America.

What precisely is wrong with American products?

nothing in my opinion, but that depends a lot on the product.

American made cars are generally crap. Gas guzzling monstrosities. Which is why they dont sell in Europe (or pretty much any where else). Now cars made in Europe by American owners is another matter of course..Opel/Vuxhaul for the Brits is GM in Europe and Ford in Europe makes great cars. But most people dont associate those with the US.. especially Opel.

Foods.. hard to find anything uniquely "American" in our stores (other than world brands like Coke, Colgate, Heinz and so on). But in general those that are associated with "America" (often in "USA days" at the supermarket), they are generally not low fat to say the least :) Also they are almost always the more expensive compared to generic brands and since most Europeans look at costs when buying foods/stuff, then there is almost an automatic "boycotting" there. Plus quite a few US food stuffs are banned in Europe.. mostly beef related. But other than Hamburgers.. what is American food?

Cloths.. does not exist, it all comes from China.. even Levis.

Electronics.. Motorola has tried to sell in Europe but it is hard to find both mobile and pad. Apple sells so so in Europe on average, mostly in UK and Denmark it seems.. but yet again it aint "American made".. since it is made in China. Guess Intel and AMD chips ..no wait they are made in Germany and Ireland I think. Face it, there aint that many US owned electronics companies left in the world, and in most cases the "made in USA" is not on any of their products since it is all made locally or in China.... and if it is, then they mostly likely are lying.

Does Boeing planes count as a consumer good?

Point is, there are few brands or goods that are associated by Europeans as "US" goods, so even if they wanted to boycott US goods, they would have a hard time pointing them out. Only obvious ones are Coca Cola and McDonald's and they are hard to avoid since they are everywhere!.. but again.. their "goods" are all made in Europe by Europeans.

The only US companies I would actively boycott if I could would be the oil companies, but since they are non existent in the areas of Europe I go, then it is a tad hard. Go to hell Exxon, Chevron and what not!. :)

Personally I stay educated about origin of products if it be actual origin or partly origin or that a source of profit goes where. I actively avoid American products whenever I can to show my disgust of what is going on with America.

Sometimes I dont care and buy a Coke or a Mars bar, I am not 100 percent strickt. I just generally avoid American products whenever I can.

How about you?

What about the option considering theirs a recession on ' I care where my products come from but would be more swayed by price'?

Paul

Since America is low on my list of countries I have a beef with, somewhere between Canada and Estonia, I would have to say no. Not really sure why I would punish individuals who make good products to target their goverment anyway.

We all know America is not what it used to be. --

I have no problem with America or american products made in the US. I'd say generally that EU import tariffs will make most US products uncompetitive.

How about you?

I have had to make a choice twice in my life so far (and now it coming up on #3) as to whether I want to stay in this country. I'm American.

I have had 2 opportunities to permanently leave while I was living abroad. Neither would have been extremely easy, per se, but it was certainly an option for me. Once was in Europe, and once was in New Zealand.

I opted to come back, both times. And I think I am going to let this upcoming opportunity pass as well.

Why?

It's not because I like being here. It's not because I agree with most of what's going on.

It's because I see America, and Americans, for what they actually are. You obviously don't. Seems to be you have a very bigoted, one-sided view of what goes on in America. That's pretty common for your type - people who claim to know more about what's going on here than Americans do, and trust me, I ran into your type plenty while I was abroad. They lasted all of 5 minutes before it was obvious they had no idea what they were talking about.

America is not some crazy dictatorship. Not even close. America is a troubled, young country that is following a predictable course for any empire. Including all the empires that existed in your part of the world in the past.

The fall is inevitable, but what comes after that is up to us. There are examples of great post-empiric outcomes, and terrible ones.

And Americans are more involved and passionate about what goes on in their country than any other place in the world. Probably unlike you, I can confirm that with experience. It was a sense of unending frustration for me, everywhere in Europe I went, how apathetic Europeans are. They sit idly by and watch the politics in their own countries get crazier and crazier. And they bitch about it a lot, but guess what? Most of them don't vote. That's why they have extremeists of all stripes slowly infiltrating their politics - the sane people don't vote. They don't care.

Things on the other side of the pond aren't fantastic - I won't pretend they are. But people here care, and they try. Why do you think most of the people here are Americans? The civil responsibility culture in America is unlike any other anywhere in the developed world. It is a part of being American engrained in us from the day we're born. I was protesting the Iraq war in front of the White House when I was 15. And what the hell were you doing?

Supporting good American companies is supporting the unique American movement, and the people who are trying to aim us in the right direction as we ride out a difficult part of the history of any empire. I'd support that over European apathy any day of the week.

Yes, it also supports our economy. But part of that economy belongs to the people who are actively engaged in their democracy, and trying as hard as they can to change things for the better. And they probably outnumber the entire population of your country, 2 or 3 times over at least. That's what you're so pissy about supporting?

Don't wanna help? We don't need ya.

Last edited:
I have had to make a choice twice in my life so far (and now it coming up on #3) as to whether I want to stay in this country. I'm American.

I have had 2 opportunities to permanently leave while I was living abroad. Neither would have been extremely easy, per se, but it was certainly an option for me. Once was in Europe, and once was in New Zealand.

I opted to come back, both times. And I think I am going to let this upcoming opportunity pass as well.

Why?

It's not because I like being here. It's not because I agree with most of what's going on.

It's because I see America, and Americans, for what they actually are. You obviously don't. Seems to be you have a very bigoted, one-sided view of what goes on in America. That's pretty common for your type - people who claim to know more about what's going on here than Americans do, and trust me, I ran into your type plenty while I was abroad. They lasted all of 5 minutes before it was obvious they had no idea what they were talking about.

America is not some crazy dictatorship. Not even close. America is a troubled, young country that is following a predictable course for any empire. Including all the empires that existed in your part of the world in the past.

The fall is inevitable, but what comes after that is up to us. There are examples of great post-empiric outcomes, and terrible ones.

And Americans are more involved and passionate about what goes on in their country than any other place in the world. Probably unlike you, I can confirm that with experience. It was a sense of unending frustration for me, everywhere in Europe I went, how apathetic Europeans are. They sit idly by and watch the politics in their own countries get crazier and crazier. And they bitch about it a lot, but guess what? Most of them don't vote. That's why they have extremeists of all stripes slowly infiltrating their politics - the sane people don't vote. They don't care.

Things on the other side of the pond aren't fantastic - I won't pretend they are. But people here care, and they try. Why do you think most of the people here are Americans? The civil responsibility culture in America is unlike any other anywhere in the developed world. It is a part of being American engrained in us from the day we're born. I was protesting the Iraq war in front of the White House when I was 15. And what the hell were you doing?

Supporting good American companies is supporting the unique American movement, and the people who are trying to aim us in the right direction as we ride out a difficult part of the history of any empire. I'd support that over European apathy any day of the week.

Yes, it also supports our economy. But part of that economy belongs to the people who are actively engaged in their democracy, and trying as hard as they can to change things for the better. And they probably outnumber the entire population of your country, 2 or 3 times over at least. That's what you're so pissy about supporting?

Don't wanna help? We don't need ya.

Not that I want to disagree with your posting, I agree with much of what you say and I definitely understand where you are coming from.

Just one little correction: Europeans don't go voting less than Americans, on the contrary. In the 2008 Presidentials, turnout in the US was as high as it hadn't been in decades, with slightly above 50%. In Europe, much higher turnout is common in national elections. In Germany, turnout used to be around 80% and hit an all-time-low with 72% only in 2009. So you may be right about many things you say about America and Europe, but the problem obviously isn't that Europeans don't go voting.

Back
Top Bottom