• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you approve or disapprove of your STATE governor ? Or are you neutral ?

?

• Total voters

Tender Branson

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
The Governor of my state Salzburg (Austria) is Wilfried Haslauer Junior, a moderate-pragmatic Conservative (ÖVP).

2568715_teaser-maxi-pic-art-tab_1xAYEU_uLbsAt.jpg

He is a quite a bit old-school / old-fashioned in my opinion, appealing to Church people and farmers.

Like most Conservatives, his mindset is like 70 years in the past.

The only good thing is that the debt in the state is declining for a few years now and it was never really high in the first place. In fact, Salzburg is Austria’s most successful economy with the lowest unemployment and highest GDP per capita.

The state government is Conservatives-Greens-Liberals. The next elections are next year. Haslauer Junior gets solid backing from those over 50, while younger voters like myself prefer the Greens and Liberals.

My verdict is „neutral“. Or actually „disapprove“ - because I’d prefer a more modern Governor. And a younger one.

Last edited:
My state governor (Charlie Baker) is not only very good, he's very rare: a fiscal conservative and a social moderate. I'm not sure any of his kind exist in Washington any longer.

My state governor (Charlie Baker) is not only very good, he's very rare: a fiscal conservative and a social moderate. I'm not sure any of his kind exist in Washington any longer.
... and just to emphasize my point, I found this with a quick web search:

1648841141905.png

Source: https://morningconsult.com/governor-rankings/

... and as can be seen, no governor in the country has had a higher favorability rating than Baker, and we are discussing a Republican in Massachusetts.

I'd say I mostly approve, but he needs to move on

Morton:

Since Baker is not running for another term in November (he could, but he said he’ll retire), who will you vote for this year ?

And what do you think ? Will MA elect a Democratic governor again, despite it being a Republican wave election nationally ?

I think Maura Healey (D) is very popular and can hardly be beaten by the Republican field this year …

Morton:

Since Baker is not running for another term in November (he could, but he said he’ll retire), who will you vote for this year ?

And what do you think ? Will MA elect a Democratic governor again, despite it being a Republican wave election nationally ?

I think Maura Healey (D) is very popular and can hardly be beaten by the Republican field this year …
Not sure who Healey's opposition will be, but if I had to bet my house I'd say Healey will win against the Democratic field and against anyone the Republicans might nominate. But she'll certainly do it without my vote.

I disapprove of MeeMaw Ivey, but she's better than some of the shitstains we have running now for the GOP nomination.

My gov. Is a Democrat who is the only one standing between the insane right wing who took over our state legislature and created havoc…

The Governor of my state Salzburg (Austria) is Wilfried Haslauer Junior, a moderate-pragmatic Conservative (ÖVP).

2568715_teaser-maxi-pic-art-tab_1xAYEU_uLbsAt.jpg

He is a quite a bit old-school / old-fashioned in my opinion, appealing to Church people and farmers.

Like most Conservatives, his mindset is like 70 years in the past.

The only good thing is that the debt in the state is declining for a few years now and it was never really high in the first place. In fact, Salzburg is Austria’s most successful economy with the lowest unemployment and highest GDP per capita.

The state government is Conservatives-Greens-Liberals. The next elections are next year. Haslauer Junior gets solid backing from those over 50, while younger voters like myself prefer the Greens and Liberals.

My verdict is „neutral“. Or actually „disapprove“ - because I’d prefer a more modern Governor. And a younger one.
Kemp is governor of Georgia, I've been happy with him.

Unlike in Austria and its 9 states, where governors are not directly elected (there are coalition governments) - the governors of all 50 US states are directly elected.

In November, 36 governor elections will take place.

20 are Republican-held, 16 are Democratic-held.

5 of the 20 Republican incumbents are term-limited or retiring, while 3/16 Democrats are.

Republicans currently have 28 governors, Dems 22 - so Democrats need to gain 3 for parity.

Democrats will very likely win Massachusetts & Maryland from the Republicans.

Both states have popular Republican governors, but Baker is retiring and Hogan is term-limited.

Both states are heavily D in presidential elections, so they will go D this year.

But Ds will lose Kansas, who was won by Democrat Laura Kelly in 2018 in a major upset.

Other races are more unpredictable, such as WI (D), MI (D), PA (D), NV (D), or AZ (R).

Democrats have to defend relatively many close states or swing states, which makes a 3 state gain very unlikely.

It is actually more likely Republicans sweep many close states and pick up states …

Our Florida Governor is at the lower scale of being a decent person. In his quest for the WhiteHouse, he'll jump through any
hoops (Either high or low) He has zero compass of his own. Some of us left-wingers in Florida call him OCM (Orange Chameleon Man)
Sort of a dig on his want to be Trump 2.0 and will change his tune like a cheap jukebox.

Janet Mills (Maine) has been OK here, and m'eh there. I haven't agreed with her on a lot, but at least she seems reasonable.
She's way better than the absolute $#!T stain that was our last governor...and, maybe our next.

I’m indifferent/neutral towards the current Gov of Indiana (Eric Holcomb). He seems like a decent enough guy, not a radical by any means. And he replaced Mike Pence, which automatically puts him in a better position in my book.

Charlie Baker is also my governor. He’s not bad for an R, I give him a neutral rating.
I have a buddy who’s an R & he likes to say a Massachusetts R is like a Texas D.

I loathe Phil Murphy. He's nothing but Wall Street money and completely out of touch with the reality of most people. NJ is a stop on his way to even more aspirations in DC and we're stuck with this slimeball for another 4 years...although I have strong suspicions he has an eye on a presidential run in 2024. But I don't think he'd stand a chance in a national election.

My governor is Kathy Hochul. I have lived in NYS my entire life and never voted for a single Democrat for the governorship. Things have changed though. The Governors running against Hochul are crazy Trumpist. I appreciate that Hochul took covid seriously and implemented reasonable covid restrictions.

Janet Mills (Maine) has been OK here, and m'eh there. I haven't agreed with her on a lot, but at least she seems reasonable.
She's way better than the absolute $#!T stain that was our last governor...and, maybe our next.
Hopefully the next for another 8 years.....

LOL about your new avatar!

It's new avatar day!

(Yes, I get Sidd's reference)

Back
Top Bottom