• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you and your parents share the same views on abortion?

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
My parents are both pro-life.

What about you?

My parents are both pro-life.

What about you?

I don't know what my parent's position on the issue is, nor do I care.

Personally, I don't have much of an opinion on the issue since its one of those choices that sucks no matter which side you come down on and I will likely never be in a situation where I need to choose either.

I don't know what my parent's position on the issue is, nor do I care.

Personally, I don't have much of an opinion on the issue since its one of those choices that sucks no matter which side you come down on and I will likely never be in a situation where I need to choose either.

Interesting, at risk of getting too personal, why is that?

My parents are pro-choice. If I recall correctly they support Roe v. Wade.

I'm pro-choice but I'm totally against Roe v. Wade.

Interesting, at risk of getting too personal, why is that?

My wife got her tubes tied after the last kid. I have no plans to cheat on her and I do not believe she will cheat on me. Also, I am financially secure, so even if an unexpected kid does happen, it won't be that big a deal.

My wife got her tubes tied after the last kid. I have no plans to cheat on her and I do not believe she will cheat on me. Also, I am financially secure, so even if an unexpected kid does happen, it won't be that big a deal.

Oh, ok I get it. Thanks.

My mother is adamantly pro-choice, as was my father when he was alive. Neither shares my views on infanticide.

My parents are Pro Life to the max.

Both my parents are pro-choice, but I didn't know that until I was having an abortion. My sister is pro-choice as well, as far as legality goes, but would never have one herself. I grew up very anti-choice on the matter until late high school when I became better educated on it.

Hopefully, not too many people do.

You can rest easy. My views, on many issues, are held by a very small minority.

I'm working on that, but how much progress do you really think I'm making?

You can rest easy. My views, on many issues, are held by a very small minority.

I'm working on that, but how much progress do you really think I'm making?

No more progress than I am, I hope.

I have no idea. Don't know them, never met them, don't know who they are / were. I don't even know where and when I was born. My birth date is court determined.

My adoptive parents I never asked, the issue never surfaced and they passed away quite some time ago.

My mom is pro-choice, but her views don't match mine exactly. I'm honestly not sure where my dad's views lie.

I know my mom is personally against abortion, but she thinks it should be legal. I am not sure about my dad.. I am not comfortable talking about reproductive issues with my dad, or he isn't comfortable talking about it with his kids. My dad always let my mom handle the sex talk stuff.

My mom is pro-life. I've never asked my dad, and to do so I'd have to end the cold war. I'd rather not.

I'm pro-choice.

I do not believe in abortion for myself (because of my faith), however I am pro-choice.
I believe that people that don't have the same belief system that I do should not be forced to agree with my beliefs. And, we do have a law that makes it legal.

I've been called a liar and a murderer because of my stance, but I don't believe I am either. Everyone has to make their own choices. Now, if it was illegal, then I would probably feel different, but it isn't and I don't believe anyone in their right mind would ever do away with it.

There is always going to be the need for that "medical threat to the mother's life" and other reasons for it to be legal.

However, I do wish we would offer sex education in the schools and anyone that doesn't know how it works! I would hope that those that don't want them would consider adoption. But, that is why I am pro-choice, I don't have to make the choice for anyone but myself.

I believe my parents were anti-abortion.

Last edited:
However, I do wish we would offer sex education in the schools

There's been sex-ed in schools for forever - I'm 52 and I had sex-ed. My daughter's 29, she had it. Has something changed?

yeah, the sex ed thing has proven rather a bust.

my folks i think are 'pro-life-lite'; sorta like mertex. they themselves are 'pro-life', but they don't want to go down the path of thinking through the implications of what that means; which leaves them sitting in a rather self-contradictory and shaky position.

i'm all the way. my dad is generally more liberal than i am, and we have a good time going back and forth over general issues, but we've never really gotten into that one.

There's been sex-ed in schools for forever - I'm 52 and I had sex-ed. My daughter's 29, she had it. Has something changed?
Was it abstinence only sex education?

Sex ed will change under Republican leadership. What good is abstinence only sex education, it didn't even work with Palin's own daughter.

Feb, 2010
The proposed new law would require any Wisconsin public school district that offers a course in human growth and development — or sexual education — to teach students about sexually transmitted diseases and methods of safe sex, including contraception. Under current law districts can choose to provide only instruction focusing on abstinence or chastity.
The proposed new law doesn’t require school districts to offer such courses at all, however. School districts can drop their sex ed classes completely rather than comply, which is what Julaine Appling, president of Wisconsin Family Action, says her organization will encourage them to do in upcoming mailings. “This is a Planned Parenthood dream come true,” Appling says about the bill. “They have taken options away from local school districts. Now the choice is something Madison says is best or to have no human growth and development classes at all, which, quite honestly, is the better choice.”
Will school districts drop sex ed rather than comply with state law?

Palin backed abstinence-only education
FirstReadMark writes:
From NBC's Katie Primm and Mark Murray
By the way, as has been pointed out, Palin backed abstinence-only education during her 2006 gubernatorial race. In an Eagle Forum Alaska questionnaire, Palin gave this response to the following question:

Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of for explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?

Palin: Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support.

*** UPDATE *** NBC's Abby Livingston adds that a McCain spokesperson in May 2007 said the Arizona Republican supported abstinence-only education, too. "Sen. McCain believes the correct policy for educating young children on this subject is to promote abstinence as the only safe and responsible alternative.
First Read - Palin backed abstinence-only education

They need to make the morning after pill available over the counter.

I do not believe in abortion for myself (because of my faith), however I am pro-choice.
I believe that people that don't have the same belief system that I do should not be forced to agree with my beliefs.

Kudos to you.
Pro Choice but my view has limits due to my religious belief. I can accept it for others whatever the circumstance but only for certain situations can I allow myself to have an Abortion.

Kudos to you.
Pro Choice but my view has limits due to my religious belief. I can accept it for others whatever the circumstance but only for certain situations can I allow myself to have an Abortion.

I wasn't sure if you were rephrasing what I said or were expressing your own views.

I am pro-choice, but my view has limits due to my religious belief - is something that I would say.

I can accept it for others whatever the circumstance is also something that I would say.

But only for certain situations can I allow myself to have an abortion is not something that I would say. I would not have one if my life depended on it, that is how I feel.

Back
Top Bottom