• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you agree?

Do you agree?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
It looks like a lot of people are really more concerned with the behavior and performance of a recent group called "Black Lives Matter"™ which started in 2013,
whereas few are interested in just the concept itself, the idea that black lives actually matter.

I would like for people to consider the fact that black lives have mattered since the 1600's, not just since 2013.
BLM™ is a militant activist group started IN 2013 by three people who describe themselves as "trained marxists", Patrisse Cullors, Alicia Garza and Opal Tameti.
HOW MANY people who march in support of black lives really give a damn about marxism? How many do you believe care about Patrisse Cullors, Alicia Garza and Opal Tameti?

These are honest questions because while anyone should be free to debate the value and legitimacy of this 2013 militant marxist group, is it really more important than
the subject of black lives? If we reduce it to a slogan from a small cadre of marxists are we not devaluing the very thing that actually matters?

If your name is Karen, do you like being reduced to an internet meme?
Now consider what happens when black lives get reduced to cannon fodder for the sake of a shiny thing.
Crows like shiny things. They're smart birds, but I'd like to think that we're smarter than crows.

Or maybe not.
I don't give two shits about BLM™, I care about black lives.

PS: BLM™ also never spoke up about helping the black community get vaccinated either.
That's when I really began to lose respect for the organization but I did not allow them to distort my devotion to racial equality and harmony.
My memory stretches decades back before 2013.
Of course lives matter. BTW, you should send your comment to the mayor.

Of the black people I have talked to in those situations, I think the general reaction would be that if BLM shifted that way, then BLM would be seen as another institution that is contributing to the poverty and power imbalance and another group would then need to be formed yet again.

Ultimately, the question of black on black crime, as I have been made to understand, is only a question because black people are still seen as "othered" (or as second class citizens) and generally the question is viewed as more of a provocative question of people searching to cast blame then who genuinely want to solve things. The general attitude being "we know how to fix our communities, just let us ****ing do it and stop criticizing us"
Who sees them as "othered"?

Very similar to the other thread you began on toxic male and female examples. It’s like a set piece in warfare, once begun, the direction is unpredictable and it is very hard to disengage with intact dignity……..

Race
Abortion
Religion
Guns

^^^^ I have my positions on all those topics, but have found that participation in those threads lead to virtual heartburn. I avoid foods that cause literal heartburn, as well.
You forgot immigration.

My thought has always been that the BLM movement was less of an organization and more of a social movement that was attempting to address police officers who often are more aggressive and use lethal force more often with black suspects. The black lives matter referring to the officers treating black suspects as if their lives don't matter.

My thought has always been that the BLM movement was less of an organization and more of a social movement that was attempting to address police officers who often are more aggressive and use lethal force more often with black suspects. The black lives matter referring to the officers treating black suspects as if their lives don't matter.
Of course the same could be said for poor vs rich.

Who sees them as "othered"?
In this case, people asking why BLM isn't taking on black-on-black crime. The reason it is othering is diverts the conversation from causal factors that BLM is trying to address that create the situation where this type of poverty crime (its not just black-on-black, all poverty situations see similar amounts of crime, its just as prevalent in Appalachia for example) to create a context where BLM's proposed solutions aren't listened to (fix the root inequalities causing this violence per message) an reframes the question to "what's wrong with black people that they are causing all this crime?"

This, not only does nothing to solve the issues (its about casting blame back on black people) but perpetuates the stereotype that something is fundamentally wrong with the people in those communities and it is essentially a dog whistle for that reason.

Of course the same could be said for poor vs rich.

I absolutely agree. I was explaining my understanding of what the BLM movement was standing up for in reference to the OP and why they aren't screaming about black on black crime.

My completely believe that police don't just treat people of color like shit, they treat those in poverty like shit. Those with money are treated well. I think most "racist" behavior that people think see in a lot of things is not racist so much as it is incomist (is that a word lol). Those in poverty are treated like shit regardless of skin color.

I absolutely agree. I was explaining my understanding of what the BLM movement was standing up for in reference to the OP and why they aren't screaming about black on black crime.

My completely believe that police don't just treat people of color like shit, they treat those in poverty like shit. Those with money are treated well. I think most "racist" behavior that people think see in a lot of things is not racist so much as it is incomist (is that a word lol). Those in poverty are treated like shit regardless of skin color.
There you have it and that is what we should protest, if we cared about our fellow human beings.

Perhaps one should separate the grass roots actions spurred by anger that originally arose as separate from the subsequent "organization" which we are referring to?

That organization which then became a "non-profit" empowered to raise money as a charitable organization, that now shows the venality of the "leaders" who helped create it?

Once it became a non-profit, people should expect it to use any moneys donated for the causes asserted, and not for personal gain.

IMO that would include addressing issues that lead to deaths in the Black Community whether at the hands of police or between ourselves.

Perhaps one should separate the grass roots actions spurred by anger that originally arose as separate from the subsequent "organization" which we are referring to?

That organization which then became a "non-profit" empowered to raise money as a charitable organization, that now shows the venality of the "leaders" who helped create it?

Once it became a non-profit, people should expect it to use any moneys donated for the causes asserted, and not for personal gain.

IMO that would include addressing issues that lead to deaths in the Black Community whether at the hands of police or between ourselves.

I honestly had no idea that they were an actual organization.

There you have it and that is what we should protest, if we cared about our fellow human beings.
Again, I don't disagree. However most people have this idea in their head that the millions of white people living in poverty should be happy that so many people who share their skin pigmentation have money.

Political parties as a whole do not care about people as a whole. They care about their voting base and donors. Those in poverty account for neither of those two groups.

You're right. But we are not supposed to acknowledge or mention that.
Why? Because it is an insoluble problems which no one is willing to do anything about. Otherwise, what good would BLM ever do? Or would Colin Kaepernick even matter any more?
I guess protesting the deaths of people who are actually innocent is too much for BLM. If they really care about black deaths then they would be protesting black on black crime and abortion clinics in black neighborhoods seeing how they take drastically way more black lives than the cops do. On average around 284 black people a year are killed by cops and most of those are justified.

Last edited:
You're right. But we are not supposed to acknowledge or mention that.
Why? Because it is an insoluble problems which no one is willing to do anything about. Otherwise, what good would BLM ever do? Or would Colin Kaepernick even matter any more?
I guess protesting the deaths of people who are actually innocent is too much for BLM. If they really care about black deaths then they would be protesting black on black crime and abortion clinics in black neighborhoods seeing how they take drastically way more black lives than the cops do. On average around 284 black people a year are killed by cops and most of those are justified.
continued from above.

54.7% homicide victims were black. 80 to 90% of those victims were murdered by another black person. On average we have around 12 to 15 thousand homicides per year. 6564 to 8205 black people are murdered each year. Which means 5251 to 7384 black people are murdered by other black people if 80 to 90% of black murder victims were murdered by other black people. Since abortion has been legal its taken the lives of 19 million black people. Seems to me that if they really cared about black lives then they would protest the black on black crime and the abortion clinics, not the 284 killed by cops each year, most of which are justified.

continued from above.

54.7% homicide victims were black. 80 to 90% of those victims were murdered by another black person. On average we have around 12 to 15 thousand homicides per year. 6564 to 8205 black people are murdered each year. Which means 5251 to 7384 black people are murdered by other black people if 80 to 90% of black murder victims were murdered by other black people. Since abortion has been legal its taken the lives of 19 million black people. Seems to me that if they really cared about black lives then they would protest the black on black crime and the abortion clinics, not the 284 killed by cops each year, most of which are justified.
james,
Your post makes entirely too much sense. That is exactly why BLM-supporters don't like those facts and that is why Colin Kaepernick has been unemployed for six years.
You must be a supporter of Heather MacDonald and her excellent research.

NY mayor Eric Adams on the terrorist attack on the NY subway. Do you agree that BLM should be protesting when any innocent black people are killed?

View attachment 67386199
I don't recall BLM protesting at other random non race related shootings... unless I am incorrect, why should they do so here?

I don't recall BLM protesting at other random non race related shootings... unless I am incorrect, why should they do so here?

Like the mayor said, they should be protesting when any black people are killed and not just the white-on-black shootings.

Like the mayor said, they should be protesting when any black people are killed and not just the white-on-black shootings.
That is what I just said... if they are not protesting white on black mass shootings then why should they protest black on black mass shootings?
I added context to it... if they are out to protest death at the hands of cops then there is no need/point for them to protest death in a mass shooting. There is also no need to protest black kids dying of SIDS or anything else that is not part of their mission.

That is what I just said... if they are not protesting white on black mass shootings then why should they protest black on black mass shootings?

They are protesting white on black shootings…
I added context to it... if they are out to protest death at the hands of cops then there is no need/point for them to protest death in a mass shooting. There is also no need to protest black kids dying of SIDS or anything else that is not part of their mission.

They are protesting white on black shootings…
They are not protesting a mass shooting where a white guy indiscriminately opens fire in public and happens to get some black people in the carnage.

That is why they are not protesting this mass shooting... unless you can show me a mass shooting that was indiscriminate then you have no argument.

I can explain this in more detail if you are still confused.

They are not protesting a mass shooting where a white guy indiscriminately opens fire in public and happens to get some black people in the carnage.

That is why they are not protesting this mass shooting... unless you can show me a mass shooting that was indiscriminate then you have no argument.

I can explain this in more detail if you are still confused.

I understand the argument that you’re making. I also understand the mayor’s questions.

I understand the argument that you’re making. I also understand the mayor’s questions.
I understand his questions as well... my argument shows that his questions are stupid race baiting garbage.

It looks like a lot of people are really more concerned with the behavior and performance of a recent group called "Black Lives Matter"™ which started in 2013,
whereas few are interested in just the concept itself, the idea that black lives actually matter.

I would like for people to consider the fact that black lives have mattered since the 1600's, not just since 2013.
BLM™ is a militant activist group started IN 2013 by three people who describe themselves as "trained marxists", Patrisse Cullors, Alicia Garza and Opal Tameti.
HOW MANY people who march in support of black lives really give a damn about marxism? How many do you believe care about Patrisse Cullors, Alicia Garza and Opal Tameti?

These are honest questions because while anyone should be free to debate the value and legitimacy of this 2013 militant marxist group, is it really more important than
the subject of black lives? If we reduce it to a slogan from a small cadre of marxists are we not devaluing the very thing that actually matters?

If your name is Karen, do you like being reduced to an internet meme?
Now consider what happens when black lives get reduced to cannon fodder for the sake of a shiny thing.
Crows like shiny things. They're smart birds, but I'd like to think that we're smarter than crows.

Or maybe not.
I don't give two shits about BLM™, I care about black lives.

PS: BLM™ also never spoke up about helping the black community get vaccinated either.
That's when I really began to lose respect for the organization but I did not allow them to distort my devotion to racial equality and harmony.
My memory stretches decades back before 2013.
BLM is our Republican/trumpists only defense now for their trying to overthrow our democracy. They need to lie and deflect from 1/6 as must as possible. I'm glad that other than @Josie - people understand the difference. BLM is about protecting lives. 1/6 was about treason. They are two very different things. It's unfortunate our friend, @Josie doesn't know that.

Fortunatly most people are smart and won't take the bait.

To me it isn’t cruelty that motivates me. There was a thread a few days ago requesting guidance in an employer/employee situation and I rang in honestly and proved my George Carlin quote line……..
I wasn't "requesting guidance" I was pretty much just blogging/journaling.

I agree that the reasons for black-on-black crime aren't entirely black people's fault.

BLM is a very vocal, visible group in our culture. Don't you think they could do some good in the black community by trying to shift their culture away from so much violence instead of just saying it's someone else's fault?
Because the violence problem is a poverty problem. The poverty problem is the result of generational, systemic racism.

I wasn't "requesting guidance" I was pretty much just blogging/journaling.
Refresh my memory, lurch, what was the sub-forum that you posted in?

I told you about that thin hide your have………..;)

Back
Top Bottom