• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do You Agree With This Statement?

Do you agree with the statement quoted in the OP?

• Total voters
Well, that depends. Do you ever plan on being taken seriously by anybody other than the far, far right mouthbreathers?

I said that I had read her in order to gain insight into where those on the Right are coming from..................

If I were on SCOTUS then I'd defend your right to be a bigot.:peace

I wouldn't want to crash the IQ of the courts, so I wouldn't support your tenure.

Come on, Red. :lol: You can't post an Ann Coulter article and not expect people to become animated about it. It's not gonna happen.

I could hope. Attacking her is taking the easy route. I was hoping people would actually go for substance.

I chose "do not agree".

But then I read the story, and in context, I am tempted to agree - not that black persons have no volition, but rather that at times they seemingly are portrayed as having none, intentionally or unintentionally, by media stories...

Couple points:

1: I intentionally did not state who made the comment, though I did not hide it. The issue is not Ann Coulter, but the comment. I would appreciate if we could refrain from talking about her, and talk instead about the comment, what is right or wrong about it. Thank you.

2: So far this thread has been pretty good about avoiding the race baiting, high rhetoric/low content type postings. Thank you for that, let's try and continue with that.

3: I would appreciate if people could explain there thoughts in more depth towards the comment itself. Thank you in advance if you can do that.
Out of context, the comment sounds like it could have been made by a racist from an earlier time (or current time, if most of the racists weren't far too careful for such because they know they'll get excoriated for saying such a thing).

In context, it makes a kind of sense...often it seems to me that black persons (among others) are portrayed as incapable of volition, by various media outlets...
But at the same time it seems obviously placed to get response from people who don't see the context (this became much clearer once I noted that someone had realized Coulter wrote it...I didn't actually see who the author was).

Hell, the statement is even it's own paragraph...or something like that...

Your concern for the public welfare is commendable. I'm only following your lead.:peace

I have nothing but the best interests of freedom at heart. If only you would follow my lead.

hahahah
:2razz:

I disagree with the statement. I strongly disagree with the sentiment of many blacks or others that view racism in nearly everything (like the ZM case) or want to race-bait. But people with those views should always be respected, allowed to voice it, and treated equally. Everyone should be treated equally.

I chose "do not agree".

But then I read the story, and in context, I am tempted to agree - not that black persons have no volition, but rather that at times they seemingly are portrayed as having none, intentionally or unintentionally, by media stories...

Good evening, The Mark. :2wave:

Good point! :thumbs:

I said that I had read her in order to gain insight into where those on the Right are coming from..................

Good evening, Bonz! :2wave:

I enjoy watching her on TV. She is outrageous and enthusiastic enough to hold a person's interest, and she does know what she is talking about. I appreciate her baiting, and since she enjoys what she does, I like that, too. She reminds me a lot of Dorothy Parker. :thumbs:

I completely agree with it. She asks if blacks will ever be treated like people that are capable of making and accounting for their own decisions. What she's trying to say is that equality means equality. You get the same rights AND responsibilities. Including the responsibility to be accountable for your actions. Trayvon Martin was held accountable for his actions. He was a "victim" of his own decisions.

Here is the statement:

Here is the context, the editorial it was taken from: To Avoid Looking Like a Criminal, Don't Commit a Crime - Ann Coulter - Page full

So, you do agree with the above quoted statement?

My understanding of what she is saying is that "someday blacks will win the right to be treated like human beings capable of making their own choices and decisions, but they cannot yet be allowed to do so."

If my translation of her psycho-babble is correct, then my answer is hell no, I don't agree!

My understanding of what she is saying is that "someday blacks will win the right to be treated like human beings capable of making their own choices and decisions, but they cannot yet be allowed to do so."

If my translation of her psycho-babble is correct, then my answer is hell no, I don't agree!
Actually, if you read the article, in context the statement meant: "Someday, blacks will be treated by the media as if they have volition of their own, but that day is not yet".

But I suspect it was intentionally worded as it was specifically to invoke just such a response as yours.

Here is the statement:

Here is the context, the editorial it was taken from: To Avoid Looking Like a Criminal, Don't Commit a Crime - Ann Coulter - Page full

So, you do agree with the above quoted statement?

I'm all for holding everyone accountable for their own actions. The trouble I have with the trial and the article is some confuse not being able to disprove as meaning Zimmerman's story was 100% true. That is not the case. We merely can't disprove it. Also, Zimmerman himself made questionable acts that he too should beheld responsible for. Some too easily dismiss that.

I asked Redress the same thing in another thread. He answered exactly like this:

Redress it's a poor choice of adjective . . . very confusing and further? I doubt you know what it means yourself. You just don't like words that start with "v".

Do us a favor. Say it another way: "Perhaps, someday, blacks will win the right to _______________. But not yet."

I will try for you: have complete free will or be held personally accountable. Did you understand the preceding sentence in the OP link? We are constantly being told to hold minorities to different (usually lower) standards of behavior, speech or eductional levels often without realizing just how rediculously offensive/demeaning that really is.

I will try for you: have complete free will or be held personally accountable. Did you understand the preceding sentence in the OP link? We are constantly being told to hold minorities to different (usually lower) standards of behavior, speech or eductional levels often without realizing just how rediculously offensive/demeaning that really is.

Who is telling you that? I have never had any one tell me that.

I completely agree with it. She asks if blacks will ever be treated like people that are capable of making and accounting for their own decisions. What she's trying to say is that equality means equality. You get the same rights AND responsibilities. Including the responsibility to be accountable for your actions. Trayvon Martin was held accountable for his actions. He was a "victim" of his own decisions.

She did not say "Trayvon Martin", she said "blacks". Please read her words. The meaning is completely different.

Actually, if you read the article, in context the statement meant: "Someday, blacks will be treated by the media as if they have volition of their own, but that day is not yet".

But I suspect it was intentionally worded as it was specifically to invoke just such a response as yours.

What do blacks have to do to win that right?

That's the part I don't think is true.

Who is telling you that? I have never had any one tell me that.

What? Did you not see/hear the excuses made for the speaking manner/attitude of Rachel Jeantel? Keep in mind that she was born and raised in this country and attends public school.

Media excuse/appologist links for Rachel's manner of speaking:
Rachel Jeantel Explained, Linguistically | TIME.com

Rachel Jeantel's Language is English

In her own words what she means (now) when she says "creepy ass cracka":
Patterico's Pontifications » Rachel Jeantel Tells Piers Morgan “Creepy Ass Cracka” Does Not Refer to a White Person, Morgan “Forgets” Her Courtroom Testimony to the Contrary

That's the part I don't think is true.

What part? You indicated nothing in your reply with quote.

Here is what I said, again:

What? Did you not see/hear the excuses made for the speaking manner/attitude of Rachel Jeantel? Keep in mind that she was born and raised in this country and attends public school.

Media excuse/appologist links for Rachel's manner of speaking:
Rachel Jeantel Explained, Linguistically | TIME.com

Rachel Jeantel's Language is English

In her own words what she means (now) when she says "creepy ass cracka":
Patterico's Pontifications » Rachel Jeantel Tells Piers Morgan “Creepy Ass Cracka” Does Not Refer to a White Person, Morgan “Forgets” Her Courtroom Testimony to the Contrary

I do not have a clue who Rachel Jeantel is, nor is anything you say proving your claim. Hint: once is not the same as constantly.

Back
Top Bottom