• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you agree with the Washington Post that the President needs to be more honest?

based on GDP

well i dont need tea leaves, to tell me that i cannot predict revenue out to 2080....not possible.

But yet you place your faith in all the other numbers on the chart while conceding that you cannot predict revenues over the next 70 years.

that pretty much renders the credibility of your chart to cinders since we can adjust revenues accordingly over time.

But yet you place your faith in all the other numbers on the chart while conceding that you cannot predict revenues over the next 70 years.

this is very true.

however today america is bringing in some where between 2.5 to 2.7 trillion in revenue would be a good guess.

do you expect by 2030 revenues to double, since america is showing very little growth. ...taxes are high.....more people on government handouts than ever before, and government is expanding even more.

about 1995 our revenue was about 1.5 trillion and its increased about 1 trillion in 18 years, when we had lower taxes, less government, less people on handouts, and job growth.

clearly the path we are on is not going to produce that revenue that is needed to keep up with the current spending and interest.

AND by the way the interest in this chart is based on current interest rates, if interest rates go to 5 or 6% doubling, interest on the national debt in GDP will be higher than that i have quoted, and will hurt this nation very much, becuase their will be NO more money to pay for entitlements and services government has promised.

Last edited:
Not sure that many people feel we do not need to reign in, especially Medicare spending, lest it put the nation in dire straights.

Instead they want to give Medicare to everyone.

The elephants in the room

Editorial Board JUL 27
Entitlements belong in Mr. Obama’s discussion of the federal budget.

As the Washington Post pointed out: "As president, Mr. Obama is the one player in the capital’s drama best positioned to represent the national interest on entitlement reform; as a second-term president, he is also in the best position to take the political heat for doing so. It is still possible that he will do so in his remaining speeches. Until then, though, Mr. Obama’s vision for the country can only be described as incomplete."

Should President Obama step up more honestly?:peace

I doubt it is possible to be "More" of something you are not to start with.

Back
Top Bottom