• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do whites need to try harder to understand blacks?

JC Callender

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Newt Gingrich and Hillary Clinton recently made comments regarding the poor understanding whites have of blacks in America and how it leads to events like these shootings. I have to say though, I've seen over and over again some inner city black thugs constantly committing crimes, talking trash to cops, resisting arrest, etc..and I really don't think it's helpful to continually deem them victims. If Michael Brown were white, would anyone care? Would anyone besides his own mother miss him?

I don't believe these cops wanted to go out and kill black guys. Simple reason is that their lives are pretty much ruined now. I do believe the constant disrespect, resisting orders, along with the fact that many carry illegal weapons puts police in a state of high stress and alertness that unfortunately ends in these deaths. Btw, these comments don't reflect the two killings from last week in Baton Rouge and Minnesota as we don't have all of the details yet. It doesn't totally take cops of the hook either...there are bad cops! I just believe in the big picture, we need to hold the thugs in the inner city (not the good folks in the inner city) to a much higher standard and quit making excuses for them. We also need to quit saying it's a black/white issue...it's much more of a cultural issue now and I'm convinced that the average pleasant black person isn't getting gunned down by police. Your thoughts?

I recall there was great anger among rural whites following the shooting of Randy Weaver at Ruby Ridge, and following the raid on the David Koresh cult in Waco, Texas. That rising anger occurred in the period leading up to the Oklahoma City bombing. Timothy McVeigh didn't vent his rage by shooting Dallas policemen, but he did vent it in another outrageous way, by blowing up a govt building filled with innocent federal employees. Like the shooter today, McVeigh was also a former soldier.

Just as we shouldn't claim that all rural white libertarian activists are looking to blow up law enforcement offices, likewise we shouldn't claim that all urban black civil rights activists are looking to shoot cops.

Newt Gingrich and Hillary Clinton recently made comments regarding the poor understanding whites have of blacks in America and how it leads to events like these shootings. I have to say though, I've seen over and over again some inner city black thugs constantly committing crimes, talking trash to cops, resisting arrest, etc..and I really don't think it's helpful to continually deem them victims. If Michael Brown were white, would anyone care? Would anyone besides his own mother miss him?

I don't believe these cops wanted to go out and kill black guys. Simple reason is that their lives are pretty much ruined now. I do believe the constant disrespect, resisting orders, along with the fact that many carry illegal weapons puts police in a state of high stress and alertness that unfortunately ends in these deaths. Btw, these comments don't reflect the two killings from last week in Baton Rouge and Minnesota as we don't have all of the details yet. It doesn't totally take cops of the hook either...there are bad cops! I just believe in the big picture, we need to hold the thugs in the inner city (not the good folks in the inner city) to a much higher standard and quit making excuses for them. We also need to quit saying it's a black/white issue...it's much more of a cultural issue now and I'm convinced that the average pleasant black person isn't getting gunned down by police. Your thoughts?

Thing is, what the great majority of us whites don't bear in mind is that egregious discrimination didn't stop when the 1964 Civil Rights Act was passed. Heck, Mississippi didn't even finalize ratifying the 13th Amendment banning slavery until 2013! There's still a heck of a lot of racism against blacks out there...and some of it is in the law enforcement community.

There's been a long, long, long history between blacks and law enforcement, particularly Down South (note - I grew up in the MS Delta - very few know it as well as I do). It's only been with the advent of camcorders, then digital cameras, then smart phones that they've started to be able to film what they know first hand has been going on all along...and far too often, the cops are not held responsible - statistically speaking, they get away scot-free almost every time.

Is this to say that cops in America shouldn't be trusted? NO. But you have to remember that cops are human, too...with everything GOOD and everything BAD that that implies. You also have to remember that there's still a heck of a lot of racism out there, and anyone who says otherwise is either very naive or simply dishonest. YES, there are blacks who use accusations of racism as a crutch - but for every one of them, there's several whites who are racist against blacks (the one-to-several being proportional to their share of the population).

And the GOP didn't help matters any by nominating Trump, by passing what are obviously voter-suppression laws, by allowing obvious and even encouraging race-baiting wink-wink nod-nod dog-whistles (and do NOT tell me they're not - remember where I'm from!)...and then pretending in public that they're being oh-so-patriotic, that it's the blacks' fault anyway! When the black community sees the Republicans doing this - and DON'T think they can't see it for what it is! - how the heck are they supposed to react when they see the almost-lily-white GOP pull crap like that?

The black community sees what the GOP and the conservatives do. They saw Reagan make the idiotic "welfare-queen" accusation. They saw the GOP congressmen oppose in lockstep the Voting Rights Act after Obama was elected...only two years AFTER the SAME GOP congressmen SUPPORT the Voting Rights Act in lockstep! They saw the #2 Republican in the last election say, "I don't want to help 'blah' people" - Rick Santorum had obviously meant to say "black", but caught himself just as he was saying it, and then had the poor manners to deny what he was doing. They see crap like this from the Right, year after year after year.

And the blacks aren't the only ones who see it. Why the heck do you think the fine fellows over at Stormfront are 100% FOR Trump?

What does this have to do with cops? The treatment the blacks have gotten from cops over the generations (and are only now able to record it since other cops - and juries - would normally ignore the claims of the blacks) is not something that's made up. A lot of it's true. And the racism that infests a significant portion of the GOP is true, too - again, look at Stormfront's support of Trump...that's not an accident.

While I may not understand, what good would it do if I did? Would you care to enlighten me with a solution that might solve their problem?

I don't believe these cops wanted to go out and kill black guys.

As with most political discussions of late, intent makes virtually no difference here. Whether these officers had latent racist thoughts which informed split-second, life-or-death decisions or they were overt, cartoonishly racist villains, the end result is the same. In any case, every one of them will defend to the day they die that they aren't racists.

The reality is partially what you mention, cops work a stressful job and after a while, they gets to them. But the flipside is, there's no question that there's systemic racism in law enforcement. There's racism from officers, to detectives, to prosecutors, to sentencing judges. The statistics on crimes show this ad nauseam; the video taping of police brutality is also something that is now pretty well outside the scope of serious questioning.

As with most political discussions of late, intent makes virtually no difference here. Whether these officers had latent racist thoughts which informed split-second, life-or-death decisions or they were overt, cartoonishly racist villains, the end result is the same. In any case, every one of them will defend to the day they die that they aren't racists.

The reality is partially what you mention, cops work a stressful job and after a while, they gets to them. But the flipside is, there's no question that there's systemic racism in law enforcement. There's racism from officers, to detectives, to prosecutors, to sentencing judges. The statistics on crimes show this ad nauseam; the video taping of police brutality is also something that is now pretty well outside the scope of serious questioning.

So most LE officials are dying to abuse in some way or even kill a lovable Jamaican grandmother simply because she's black?

It's hard to understand the 'threat to group' in instances of injustice against minorities. As a majority power, instances of injustice do not threaten whites as a group. The reason whites, or majority powers, do not riot and minorities do is this inherent 'threat to group'. The majority power cannot, logically, be threatened or oppressed as a group.

Being a local minority, such as an individual in a neighborhood, is not the same as inescapable minority status.

we are dealing with people don't forget these people are not perfect even cops .. I am a citizen of the united states and I am black..... my son will be a Sherriff in l.a. soon. there are prejudice people in all races and that is there right..... but when you become a cop I do believe they will question you ....are you prejudice against any other race and a lot of people that want to be police will lie here .. also a lot of white men are scared of black men because they don't know them.. all races have bad people in them but we are singled out. a lot of times before we can follow an order given we are thrown to the ground with a foot put on our neck. not all but a lot of cops like to administer there own justice instead of the court doing it I am extremely careful when dealing with the police I have to be... white people don't have to be like we do... look at the boy that shot 9 people at the church how he was arrested. they were so delicate with him..but I am sure a lot of people think its all our fault. the police can do no wrong.. by the way the person that shot those cops in dallas did not go to court he is dead ......justice served....and yes he set black people back very far in this country. all the haters of blacks must be so happy they really needed one of us to do that so they can keep on hating ....sad another thing all the 7 people killed were good people killed by bad people 5 cops and 2 citizens.. once again that guy that killed those cops was wrong and he messed black people up..i hate him more than I would be mad at the scary cops that shot the 2 black men

Last edited:
It's hard to understand the 'threat to group' in instances of injustice against minorities. As a majority power, instances of injustice do not threaten whites as a group. The reason whites, or majority powers, do not riot and minorities do is this inherent 'threat to group'. The majority power cannot, logically, be threatened or oppressed as a group.

Being a local minority, such as an individual in a neighborhood, is not the same as inescapable minority status.

Does that give a minority the right to break laws, disobey orders, and treat cops with utter disrespect?

Lois Lerner disagrees with you.

I think the situation is out of control because both parties are wrong too often. I think the police because of previous experiences do go into a higher state of alert when dealing with a black male. I think the Black male responds negatively naturally to this by automatically becoming more vocal and defensive which is interpreted to be aggressive or threatening behavior. The situation escalates too often and the police in the end who need to take the position of authority will want to restrain the person. Then becomes even worse as the person resist believing they are being discriminated against. I have been in the situation and luckily my partner was a black MP at the time.

We were under orders to watch a stop sign in the middle of nowhere because it became apparent people were no longer stopping for it. We were giving warnings not writing anyone but we were taking the position of no tolerance. Anyone not making a complete stop was pulled over. At some point we pulled over a black male who jumped out of the car charged up to me yelling the only reason I pulled him over was because he was with a white woman. He then looked over and saw my black partner with his 45 pointed at him from the other side of the car. This was in the 70's and could have become deadly except my partner was an experienced and well disciplined soldier as well as MP.

The other people that put themselves in that same situation are people in a position of power. You get the "do you know who I am" as they charge up in your face yelling not realizing how much danger they are putting themselves into either. Plus you will see this with drunks and hot heads as well. Unfortunately too many black men do this and the police are ready to react because they have seen it to often. It becomes a conditioned response.

I think more periodic training of the police is one answer. The other is educating black males that legal channels and reporting of incidents is better than taking a position of aggression when dealing with people in authority. I had a hard time learning this as well.

Thing is, what the great majority of us whites don't bear in mind is that egregious discrimination didn't stop when the 1964 Civil Rights Act was passed. Heck, Mississippi didn't even finalize ratifying the 13th Amendment banning slavery until 2013! There's still a heck of a lot of racism against blacks out there...and some of it is in the law enforcement community.

There's been a long, long, long history between blacks and law enforcement, particularly Down South (note - I grew up in the MS Delta - very few know it as well as I do). It's only been with the advent of camcorders, then digital cameras, then smart phones that they've started to be able to film what they know first hand has been going on all along...and far too often, the cops are not held responsible - statistically speaking, they get away scot-free almost every time.

Is this to say that cops in America shouldn't be trusted? NO. But you have to remember that cops are human, too...with everything GOOD and everything BAD that that implies. You also have to remember that there's still a heck of a lot of racism out there, and anyone who says otherwise is either very naive or simply dishonest. YES, there are blacks who use accusations of racism as a crutch - but for every one of them, there's several whites who are racist against blacks (the one-to-several being proportional to their share of the population).

And the GOP didn't help matters any by nominating Trump, by passing what are obviously voter-suppression laws, by allowing obvious and even encouraging race-baiting wink-wink nod-nod dog-whistles (and do NOT tell me they're not - remember where I'm from!)...and then pretending in public that they're being oh-so-patriotic, that it's the blacks' fault anyway! When the black community sees the Republicans doing this - and DON'T think they can't see it for what it is! - how the heck are they supposed to react when they see the almost-lily-white GOP pull crap like that?

The black community sees what the GOP and the conservatives do. They saw Reagan make the idiotic "welfare-queen" accusation. They saw the GOP congressmen oppose in lockstep the Voting Rights Act after Obama was elected...only two years AFTER the SAME GOP congressmen SUPPORT the Voting Rights Act in lockstep! They saw the #2 Republican in the last election say, "I don't want to help 'blah' people" - Rick Santorum had obviously meant to say "black", but caught himself just as he was saying it, and then had the poor manners to deny what he was doing. They see crap like this from the Right, year after year after year.

And the blacks aren't the only ones who see it. Why the heck do you think the fine fellows over at Stormfront are 100% FOR Trump?

What does this have to do with cops? The treatment the blacks have gotten from cops over the generations (and are only now able to record it since other cops - and juries - would normally ignore the claims of the blacks) is not something that's made up. A lot of it's true. And the racism that infests a significant portion of the GOP is true, too - again, look at Stormfront's support of Trump...that's not an accident.

I am sick and tired of people telling me how racist white people are. The accusation of racism has become an excuse for failure. Say racism still exists. It always will. But don't say it's so pervasive as to sabotage the lives of black people . . . Or Asians or Japanese or Muslims or Rednecks or Hillbillies or Jews or whatevers. Many of these people sabotage THEMSELVES.

If everyone would treat everyone with dignity and common human decency there wouldn't be a need to understand each other. But, that ain't going to happen because some of us feel the need to create chaos, wreck, and destroy everything for political gain. So until the left gets rid of their selfishness, hatred, bitterness, and anger, this kind of crap will continue. It's time for you leftists to grow up.

I've seen this statistic quite frequently in google searches:

Most homicides were intraracial, with 84% of white victims killed by whites, and 93% of black victims killed by blacks.

So you've got 10 dead black people.
If it's "an obvious sign of racism" when one of the murderers is white, what is it when the other NINE are black?

Now I'm not saying there is or isn't a race issue in the USofA. I'm just asking a question about what appears to be a relevant fact regarding one specific statistic.

If everyone would treat everyone with dignity and common human decency there wouldn't be a need to understand each other. But, that ain't going to happen because some of us feel the need to create chaos, wreck, and destroy everything for political gain. So until the left gets rid of their selfishness, hatred, bitterness, and anger, this kind of crap will continue. It's time for you leftists to grow up.

You are a larger part of the problem than the vast majority of "leftists". Comment like yours are despicable, asinine, and hateful.

You are a larger part of the problem than the vast majority of "leftists". Comment like yours are despicable, asinine, and hateful.

Negative. It's truthful and you are a typical head up butt example of exactly what I was talking about. Until you people learn, this will continue. Why don't you people practice some common human decency? It's unbelievable how you just proved what I was talking about. LMAO

What I find most disgusting is the lack of DUE PROCESS for police before some race baiting yahoo starts in with their rhetoric. That race baiting for the last 7 1/2 years has been promoted from the WH including his two AG's, Holder and Lynch and his "Diversity Workforce" which is made up of people like Al Sharpton one of the biggest race baiters of all time.

There is a breakdown in the black family. Over 70 percent of all black babies are born to single mothers. These kids grow up in poverty and most have no father figure in their lives. Fathers play a big role in raising well balanced children. A father is the first relationship a daughter has with a male. A good father in love teaches his daughter self worth/respect and by example raises his son to be a good man. Most of these kids are fatherless. The daughters are needy and at a young age start looking for love in all the wrong places and the boys are at high risk of getting involved in criminal activity. Many of them have only known Uncle Sam as their provider.

Until the breakdown of the family is addressed, this is not going to get any better. In many ways our government has caused the breakdown because they no longer recognize personal responsibility and have become the enablers.

Another factor are folks like Farrakhan out there indoctrinating blacks into his racist cult Nation of Islam calling on black males to rise up and kill whites. The videos are on YouTube for all to watch and his followers eat it up.

This is how it comes off to me and how I heard another explain it.
It's like someone sayings 'Yay for open borders, while living in a gated community."

By and large, these people who say this, don't care to learn anything more than they need to about your average Black or White person.
It's just empty platitudes and virtue signaling.

Edit add:
What's really ****ed up is that for some reason, when a presumed White cop kills a Black person, White people need to learn stuff.
When a Black man kills presumed White cops, White people need to learn stuff.

Last edited:

I think this is over looked or misunderstood by many in the majority group and until it is comprehended....not much will change in a big way

I think this is over looked or misunderstood by many in the majority group and until it is comprehended....not much will change in a big way

Well it's a clearly false argument.
We do know that minority insurrection movements can threaten the majority group.

The Alawites control Syria, through Assad, however they are a minority in the country.
Majority groups, can be disempowered and feel injustice, as much as any other.

Well it's a clearly false argument.
We do know that minority insurrection movements can threaten the majority group.

The Alawites control Syria, through Assad, however they are a minority in the country.
Majority groups, can be disempowered and feel injustice, as much as any other.
of course minority insurrection movements can happen but the comparison here is ludicrous

of course minority insurrection movements can happen but the comparison here is ludicrous

It's really not, because all of you are assuming Whites are some amorphous solid body.
As if Whites exist as a singular group.
Whites do not, we're divided along cultural boundaries too.

Southern Whites are generally considered lesser to other Whites.

Your post is on point JC.

IMO, and based on available information, the public is being played in order to push an agenda. I won't couch my statement by stating the obvious about bad cops. The fact is, it is the sworn duty of Law Enforcement to uphold the laws and protect the health and safety of the communities they have pledged to work in.

Creating division and social disharmony is the primary objective of those who are promoting this "racist" meme. Black communities are under extreme pressure, but it's not caused by whites, per se, it's caused by the leaders and activists who pretend to have their best interests at heart.

People are not inherently racist. They want peace and serenity in their neighborhoods, regardless of cultural or ethnic differences. That truth does not help the forces seeking fundamental change to their vision of the US. So they must invent crisis, and fund and lend logistical support to groups who spread hate and division.

The people are being played, the facts are in evidence, and the people need to reject the effort to bring sanity and common purpose back into the spotlight.

It's really not, because all of you are assuming Whites are some amorphous solid body.
As if Whites exist as a singular group.
Whites do not, we're divided along cultural boundaries too.

Southern Whites are generally considered lesser to other Whites.
so?

a skin colour changes nothing about a human being unless others view it as a reason to treat them differently

so?

a skin colour changes nothing about a human being unless others view it as a reason to treat them differently

I never said it did.
However, Whites are a broad demographic and being such a broad demographic, pretending that different and large parts can't feel injustice is absolutely ludicrous.

Back
Top Bottom