• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do whites need to try harder to understand blacks?

The dominant socioeconomic race or ethnicity in any nation will almost always be the group that commits the most egregious racism. Why? Because that dominant socioeconomic group will be the most powerful group, the one that can get away with the most, and suffer the least in return. So it is with the Han in China, so it is with the Saudi clan in Saudi Arabia, so it is just about everywhere in the world.

Does that sound reasonable? Sure does...and it's true. But what that also means is that because whites are the dominant socioeconomic demographic in America, whites do commit the most egregious racism here. We can get away with the most (and do), and suffer the least in return (and we do). Does this mean we're ALL racist? Of course not. But it DOES mean that the whites who are racist can do more and worse and get away with it...and we do.

So GET OVER IT - we whites DO commit the most egregious racism in America, because we ARE the dominant socioeconomic group here...just as the socioeconomically dominant Han in China commit even more egregious racism against Tibetans in Xizang province and against the Uighurs in Xinjiang province.

I understand what you are saying, and it does make sense in a way. However, I take total exception with your use of the word egregious. Whites as a group don't commit egregious acts of racism towards anyone. Are there prejudiced people? Bigots? Racists? Yep, there are. And they come in all shades.

Newt Gingrich and Hillary Clinton recently made comments regarding the poor understanding whites have of blacks in America and how it leads to events like these shootings. I have to say though, I've seen over and over again some inner city black thugs constantly committing crimes, talking trash to cops, resisting arrest, etc..and I really don't think it's helpful to continually deem them victims. If Michael Brown were white, would anyone care? Would anyone besides his own mother miss him?

I don't believe these cops wanted to go out and kill black guys. Simple reason is that their lives are pretty much ruined now. I do believe the constant disrespect, resisting orders, along with the fact that many carry illegal weapons puts police in a state of high stress and alertness that unfortunately ends in these deaths. Btw, these comments don't reflect the two killings from last week in Baton Rouge and Minnesota as we don't have all of the details yet. It doesn't totally take cops of the hook either...there are bad cops! I just believe in the big picture, we need to hold the thugs in the inner city (not the good folks in the inner city) to a much higher standard and quit making excuses for them. We also need to quit saying it's a black/white issue...it's much more of a cultural issue now and I'm convinced that the average pleasant black person isn't getting gunned down by police. Your thoughts?

As in any conflict, both sides should be more understanding, but they don't necessarily need to be.

I don't think people continually deem them victims, real life isn't that simple. People tend to lash out, in general, when they're put in bad situations.

I agree that it's a culture issue more than a race issue, but as a culture issue, it is still related to race.

I understand what you are saying, and it does make sense in a way. However, I take total exception with your use of the word egregious. Whites as a group don't commit egregious acts of racism towards anyone. Are there prejudiced people? Bigots? Racists? Yep, there are. And they come in all shades.

The cumulative effects of lots of little, subtle racial preferences can still end up being significant.

We don't have to be overtly racist to turn a blind eye to the remnants of segregation that may still pervade our society. I don't think we should be saying that race is or is not an issue without studying it.

The cumulative effects of lots of little, subtle racial preferences can still end up being significant.

We don't have to be overtly racist to turn a blind eye to the remnants of segregation that may still pervade our society. I don't think we should be saying that race is or is not an issue without studying it.

What are the remnants of segregation that pervade our society?

we are dealing with people don't forget these people are not perfect even cops .. I am a citizen of the united states and I am black..... my son will be a Sherriff in l.a. soon. there are prejudice people in all races and that is there right..... but when you become a cop I do believe they will question you ....are you prejudice against any other race and a lot of people that want to be police will lie here .. also a lot of white men are scared of black men because they don't know them.. all races have bad people in them but we are singled out. a lot of times before we can follow an order given we are thrown to the ground with a foot put on our neck. not all but a lot of cops like to administer there own justice instead of the court doing it I am extremely careful when dealing with the police I have to be... white people don't have to be like we do... look at the boy that shot 9 people at the church how he was arrested. they were so delicate with him..but I am sure a lot of people think its all our fault. the police can do no wrong.. by the way the person that shot those cops in dallas did not go to court he is dead ......justice served....and yes he set black people back very far in this country. all the haters of blacks must be so happy they really needed one of us to do that so they can keep on hating ....sad another thing all the 7 people killed were good people killed by bad people 5 cops and 2 citizens.. once again that guy that killed those cops was wrong and he messed black people up..i hate him more than I would be mad at the scary cops that shot the 2 black men

I agree with much you just said but I would like to dispel one misconception you seem to have. White people need to be just as cautious when confronted by a cop.

The reality is that the cop is taking his life in his hands every time he confronts someone. It's unwise to not do everything you can to put him or her at ease.

Being confrontational with a cop even if he is being a dick is not a good idea. People of any color who don't get this end up dead.

Btw I'm not defending the practices of law enforcement. There is a lot of room for improvement on their end too. I'm just saying it not a race thing. It's about controlling your aggression when dealing with the police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blacks tend to live in the same neighborhoods with the same sub-par school system.

Why do they tend to live in the same neighborhoods? Do whites keep them from living elsewhere? The answer is no. Why are their schools subpar? The schools arent subpar. The deportment in the classroom is subpar.

- but for every one of them, there's several whites who are racist against blacks (the one-to-several being proportional to their share of the population).

I don't agree. At least in my family and my circle of friends. You must have some terrible family and circle of friends to maintain that sort of opinion.

If side A has much more power than side B, do you really think that the racism committed by side B is every bit as bad, every bit as egregious as side A?

Hm?

And if so, then please 'splain to us exactly how black racism against whites was every bit as bad in the days of slavery and of Jim Crow.

Like many leftists, you only exacerbate the problem. Duping people with false memes about "white privilege" and the like only causes divisiveness. But you already knew that. ;)

Slavery and Jim Crow ended a long time ago. What you and your ilk are promoting is just as vile. Stop living in the past and start looking to the future. You are the problem. .

Why do they tend to live in the same neighborhoods? Do whites keep them from living elsewhere? The answer is no. Why are their schools subpar? The schools arent subpar. The deportment in the classroom is subpar.

Actually, many argue that whites do keep them from living elsewhere in subtle but significant ways.

"Redlining is the practice of denying or increasing the cost of services, such as banking, insurance, access to jobs,[58] access to health care,[59] or even supermarkets[60] to residents in certain, often racially determined,[61] areas. The most devastating form of redlining, and the most common use of the term, refers to mortgage discrimination. Data on house prices and attitudes toward integration suggest that in the mid-20th century, segregation was a product of collective actions taken by whites to exclude blacks from their neighborhoods.[62]

The creation of highways in some cases divided and isolated black neighborhoods from goods and services, many times within industrial corridors. For example, Birmingham's interstate highway system attempted to maintain the racial boundaries that had been established by the city's 1926 racial zoning law. The construction of interstate highways through black neighborhoods in the city led to significant population loss in those neighborhoods and is associated with an increase in neighborhood racial segregation.[63]"

-wikipedia "Racial segregation in the United States"

And school funding is often heavily based on property taxes, and property taxes are heavily based on property values- the result is that poor neighborhoods often do have underfunded schools.

Even small and seemingly innocuous public policy decisions, like funding schools from local property taxes, end up propagating segregation. The most major problem i see is that we're not really critically assessing whether we ever did enough to undo the segregation that existed immediately after slavery, my fear is that we haven't.

What I find most disgusting is the lack of DUE PROCESS for police before some race baiting yahoo starts in with their rhetoric. That race baiting for the last 7 1/2 years has been promoted from the WH including his two AG's, Holder and Lynch and his "Diversity Workforce" which is made up of people like Al Sharpton one of the biggest race baiters of all time.

There is a breakdown in the black family. Over 70 percent of all black babies are born to single mothers. These kids grow up in poverty and most have no father figure in their lives. Fathers play a big role in raising well balanced children. A father is the first relationship a daughter has with a male. A good father in love teaches his daughter self worth/respect and by example raises his son to be a good man. Most of these kids are fatherless. The daughters are needy and at a young age start looking for love in all the wrong places and the boys are at high risk of getting involved in criminal activity. Many of them have only known Uncle Sam as their provider.

Until the breakdown of the family is addressed, this is not going to get any better. In many ways our government has caused the breakdown because they no longer recognize personal responsibility and have become the enablers.

Another factor are folks like Farrakhan out there indoctrinating blacks into his racist cult Nation of Islam calling on black males to rise up and kill whites. The videos are on YouTube for all to watch and his followers eat it up.

I agree Vesper! I'm getting pretty sick of Obama's knee jerk rush to judgement and his desire to have advisers like Sharpton. I would much rather he talk to the inner city blacks about the importance of family, as you pointed out, but they'd probably just tell him to go get screwed. Obama didn't grow up there and his experience with desperate inner city folks is that of an outsider who can leave at any time, and they know that. He's more of an appeaser. I don't believe he has their respect.

Do you generally debate with crazies and trolls, or do you just enjoy courageously slaying strawmen?

If you accept the inherent 'threat to group' of injustice against a minority, then you should understand the point of BLM. This is why White Lives Matter wouldn't make sense because there's no threat to whites AS A GROUP.

Do you get it now?

A wise and thoughtful person takes a complicated subject and breaks it down to a simple form for people to understand. I've seen 3 or 4 posts of yours so far on this subject that have proven to be the total opposite. You're not speaking for a downtrodden minority, you're posting penny-ante, guilt ridden liberal tidbits made to make you look compassionate. In the end, you're just an enabler.

Newt Gingrich and Hillary Clinton recently made comments regarding the poor understanding whites have of blacks in America and how it leads to events like these shootings. I have to say though, I've seen over and over again some inner city black thugs constantly committing crimes, talking trash to cops, resisting arrest, etc..and I really don't think it's helpful to continually deem them victims. If Michael Brown were white, would anyone care? Would anyone besides his own mother miss him?

I don't believe these cops wanted to go out and kill black guys. Simple reason is that their lives are pretty much ruined now. I do believe the constant disrespect, resisting orders, along with the fact that many carry illegal weapons puts police in a state of high stress and alertness that unfortunately ends in these deaths. Btw, these comments don't reflect the two killings from last week in Baton Rouge and Minnesota as we don't have all of the details yet. It doesn't totally take cops of the hook either...there are bad cops! I just believe in the big picture, we need to hold the thugs in the inner city (not the good folks in the inner city) to a much higher standard and quit making excuses for them. We also need to quit saying it's a black/white issue...it's much more of a cultural issue now and I'm convinced that the average pleasant black person isn't getting gunned down by police. Your thoughts?

No! Whites don't need to try to understand. I've never tried to understand. That is insulting. That assumes there is a real difference. There isn't. Just be yourself and don't act like there is a difference and no matter who you talk too, you'll be comfortable and they'll be comfortable.

As an example, a cargo operator I worked for had two ultra liberal schedulers in the office. A new pilot started working for us and I hadn't met him yet. When the schedulers were talking about assigning him to something, I interrupted and asked "Is that the black guy?" They nearly passed out. I guess the word black was like the worst swear word ever in their minds. Just after that, he walked in. Both schedulers still had their jaws hanging in shock when he walked in. I just turned to him and asked him "Kelvin, do you get offended if I call you black?" Of course he said no. You know why? Because he is black. He was comfortable with being black, I was comfortable with being white and not only did we never have a problem, we were good friends.

Stop trying so damn hard and just get over it.

Like many leftists, you only exacerbate the problem. Duping people with false memes about "white privilege" and the like only causes divisiveness. But you already knew that. ;)

Slavery and Jim Crow ended a long time ago. What you and your ilk are promoting is just as vile. Stop living in the past and start looking to the future. You are the problem. .

"ended a long time ago"? "living in the past"? Then why are there still "segregation academies" in the South? Why did it take until 2013 for Mississippi to finalize ratification of the 13th Amendment banning slavery? Why is it that people freak out when it's a black guy openly carrying a firearm, but not so much when it's a white guy openly carrying a firearm?

Guy, the ONLY ones who deny who deny white privilege - which I've benefited from myself on more than a few occasions - are those who are either helplessly naive...or who are lying through their teeth.

Y'all on the Far Right love to claim that everybody's racist, so why worry about racism...but y'all don't follow that train of thought to its logical conclusion. If everyone's racist, then the racism committed by the group which is most powerful socially, economically, and politically would be the most egregious - that group would get away with more racism than any other group. In America, the most powerful group is by far the whites...which means that whites in general would get away with more racism than any other group. And that's how we get "white privilege". The conservative meme that everybody's racist DEMANDS the presence of white privilege.

"ended a long time ago"? "living in the past"? Then why are there still "segregation academies" in the South? Why did it take until 2013 for Mississippi to finalize ratification of the 13th Amendment banning slavery? Why is it that people freak out when it's a black guy openly carrying a firearm, but not so much when it's a white guy openly carrying a firearm?

Guy, the ONLY ones who deny who deny white privilege - which I've benefited from myself on more than a few occasions - are those who are either helplessly naive...or who are lying through their teeth.

Y'all on the Far Right love to claim that everybody's racist, so why worry about racism...but y'all don't follow that train of thought to its logical conclusion. If everyone's racist, then the racism committed by the group which is most powerful socially, economically, and politically would be the most egregious - that group would get away with more racism than any other group. In America, the most powerful group is by far the whites...which means that whites in general would get away with more racism than any other group. And that's how we get "white privilege". The conservative meme that everybody's racist DEMANDS the presence of white privilege.

Really not interested in your propaganda drivel. If white privilege I so prevalent, why are there so many dirt poor white people? You never benefited from something that doesn't exist. It bears repeating, you and your ilk are the cause of racial divisiveness in this country. Lib SJW morons are directly responsible for what happened in Dallas. Own it.

Actually, many argue that whites do keep them from living elsewhere in subtle but significant ways.

Yes, leftists spew all kinds of nonsensical bull****. What's your point?

I am sick and tired of people telling me how racist white people are. The accusation of racism has become an excuse for failure. Say racism still exists. It always will. But don't say it's so pervasive as to sabotage the lives of black people . . . Or Asians or Japanese or Muslims or Rednecks or Hillbillies or Jews or whatevers. Many of these people sabotage THEMSELVES.

opinions like your are part of the problem. I suggest you review the tapes of the murders in Baton Rouge and Falcon Heights

opinions like your are part of the problem. I suggest you review the tapes of the murders in Baton Rouge and Falcon Heights

I suggest you take a look at the newly found video of LA. This is going to be found a justified shoot.

I suggest you take a look at the newly found video of LA. This is going to be found a justified shoot.

I live 10 miles from BR and watch local coverage which is all over this. The new video shows what any honest person would call a murder.

I live 10 miles from BR and watch local coverage which is all over this. The new video shows what any honest person would call a murder.

Katzgar, I wont argue with you about this. Nothing good can come of it. My opinion means nothing here. I live in Chicago. Not exactly the deep south. You do. Perhaps your experiences are much different than mine"

I tend to think the cross burning is kids. But if I'm a black woman with children living in Baton Rouge, no doubt I'm scared.

Katzgar, I wont argue with you about this. Nothing good can come of it. My opinion means nothing here. I live in Chicago. Not exactly the deep south. You do. Perhaps your experiences are much different than mine"

I tend to think the cross burning is kids. But if I'm a black woman with children living in Baton Rouge, no doubt I'm scared.

the new south is only partly true Saying that the cross burning was by kids is one of the most naive things I have ever heard. there is on the order of 30 cross burnings a year in the US, not a big number but damn those kids.

Defacto segregation has increased since the civil rights era in the United States.

Defacto made up bull**** by leftists has increased exponentially in recent years. Again. What's your point?

Back
Top Bottom