• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do we need a Greco-Roman revival?

europa

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It seems like the Western world is having trouble defining itself. An identity-war in which religion and philosophy play a crucial role, is currently being waged.

In the US, this war is very outspoken, but even in so-called "secular" Europe there are traces of the same intellectual struggle. During the writing of the European Charter, quarrels broke out when the "roots" of European (Western) culture were discussed. (Should references to religion be included? And if so, why stop at Christianity? Why not include other religions, and even polytheistic, pre-Christian traditions like the Greco-Roman ones?)

I particularly want to focus on these pre-Christian traditions, which have had such a tremendous influence on European (Western) thought. Wouldn't a revival of Greek philosophy and Roman thought be welcome to calm the current debate a bit?

Let's not forget that our world-view has been heavily influenced by these cultures. They brought us modern views of the state, of politics, of the arts, of philosophy, urbanism, architecture and of science, amongst other things.

What do you think of a Greco-Roman revival? Would it be useful in the current debate about what role religion should play in modern life? And shouldn't schools be teaching more Greek and Roman philosophy?

europa said:
What do you think of a Greco-Roman revival? Would it be useful in the current debate about what role religion should play in modern life? And shouldn't schools be teaching more Greek and Roman philosophy?

Greetings, europa.

Since I am ignorant of Greco-Roman philosophy (or whatever), maybe you could give a few examples of the impacts you believe could be helpful.

I completely agree with you on that. I am a Hellenic Pagan and I'd love to see more of a variety of Greco-Roman education in School. But I am curious as well of what kind of things you'd suggest teaching that would help with the debate of religion in modern life.

I would love to see a Greco-Roman revival. The inclusion, the art, the philosophy, even the Spartan view of military life has a certain appeal about it that just resonates to me. I would especially see a rise in literature and the study of classics again in school.

Back
Top Bottom