• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do we have "souls?"

hiker said:
Granted. But being as how I was under the assumption you were referring to the end of times, I was relating what I heard on the astronomy shows on the Science Channel. I never had any formal training in the field.

What is your definition of the, "end times" ?

stsburns said:
But some actually have "physical" data, not just hunches! Moans, objects moving for no reason, drastic changes in temperature, etc... that all of our geniuses brains can't even ponder on why it happens?

Yada Yada Yada, I have yet to see any scientific evidence other than supersticious claims, that proves the existance of ghosts.

kal-el said:
It really would matter little,since religions do their best to vulgarize science at all costs. They want there subjects to remain as stupid and easily controllable as possible, and they do this by depriving them of scientific knowledge. It is only in the absence of science that the church can remain in power.
So your saying that if everyone was educated in science, that it would destroy the religion stronghold? Why do you relate religion to power? We were talking about souls?

stsburns said:
So your saying that if everyone was educated in science, that it would destroy the religion stronghold? Why do you relate religion to power? We were talking about souls?

Why do you relate souls to ghosts?

stsburns said:
But some actually have "physical" data, not just hunches! Moans, objects moving for no reason, drastic changes in temperature, etc... that all of our geniuses brains can't even ponder on why it happens?

wtf are you talkin about. THey ponder why it happens all the time. This goes into the realm of metaphysics and philosophy. The question why is what drives and has always driven science.

And all good science is not just mere hunches. If you are referring to evolution, it has too mcuh evidence to be called a hunch. Plus, evoultion has yielded countless discoveries which are physically provable. Thus... the theory gains A LOT of validity.

I don't know what else you could be referring to. I guess if you're talking about theoretical physics and string theory where scientists are working with ideas thta cannot be examined through experimentation... then you'd be right.

kal-el said:
There is no scientific evidence for such a thing. It all falls on beliefs. How can someone imagine an "immortal" soul escaping from a body after death, where the hell would it go? The universe is infinite.

I am an immortal soul.

I was a ghost before I got this body.

And I'll be a ghost when it dies.

George_Washington said:
What is your definition of the, "end times" ?
When all life in the universe ceases to exist. When all the stars die, leaving nothing but cold relics gliding through space.

kal-el said:
Why do you relate souls to ghosts?
Because if you can prove their is a soul of a dead person, terrorizing a buildings inhabitants, then their must be a spirit world we know little about?

stsburns said:
Because if you can prove their is a soul of a dead person, terrorizing a buildings inhabitants, then their must be a spirit world we know little about?

Yea, good luck trying to prove that!:2razz:

stsburns said:
Sounds like somebody's been watching too many movies :roll:

Concerning spirits, I will say that I think that science leaves open the possiblity that such things could exist. Because if you buy String Theory, which states that there are certain things in existance with zero mass, than possibly spirits also have zero mass and that isn't why we haven't been able to detect them yet.

kal-el said:
You have an open floor, my friend.

The question is "can I prove it to you."

I will try.

Answer this question:

WHERE IS THE PHYSICAL UNIVERSE LOCATED?

Have you ever heard "I think, therefor I must exist." Something with intellegence would have to know how to toy with mortals! It would have to know what would probably scare them! Then their is all out possesion of the mortals body. The spirit being would have to think to do all of these deceptions, which would be hard to prove, as just regular human instinct. But then on the other hand, televangilists make a mochary of whats really going on!

Lucidthots said:
The question is "can I prove it to you."

I will try.

Answer this question:

You have to not only prove it to me, but everyone, being is you made the claim. The physical universe? I suppose you're reffering to space? Our solar system is part of a galaxy, which is part of a universe. A universe can't exist in nothing. IMO it is one universe among an infinite number of them, which together, make up something even bigger, and so on to infinity.

hiker said:
Sounds like somebody's been watching too many movies :roll:
I dare you to take a trip to an old asylum, old prison, or even just an old abandonded house down the street. (PLEASE USE CAUTION) Your own judgement of went on there, will be my proof!

kal-el said:
You have to not only prove it to me, but everyone, being is you made the claim. The physical universe? I suppose you're reffering to space? Our solar system is part of a galaxy, which is part of a universe. A universe can't exist in nothing. IMO it is one universe among an infinite number of them, which together, make up something even bigger, and so on to infinity.
This supports big bang how?

kal-el said:
IMO it is one universe among an infinite number of them, which together, make up something even bigger, and so on to infinity.

I see that I will have to define what I mean by "Physical Universe."

Physical Universe: ALL MATTER, ALL SPACE OF ALL OF THE SOLAR SYSTEMS AND GALAXIES COMBINED.

Once again:

stsburns said:
I dare you to take a trip to an old asylum, old prison, or even just an old abandonded house down the street. (PLEASE USE CAUTION) Your own judgement of went on there, will be my proof!

Why, so he could hear the house settling, or old door cracking. There's perfectly rational explanations for these "premenitions."

Lucidthots said:
I see that I will have to define what I mean by "Physical Universe."

Physical Universe: ALL MATTER, ALL SPACE OF ALL OF THE SOLAR SYSTEMS AND GALAXIES COMBINED.

Once again:

Not in the outer edge, an infinite universe dosen't have such a place. Neither a center. If that is indeed the definition of a physical universe, then I would have to say that there are an infinite number of them, as nothing is composed of nothing, everything has to be made of something. If it were indeed made up of nothing, it wouldn't exist.

kal-el said:
Why, so he could hear the house settling, or old door cracking. There's perfectly rational explanations for these "premenitions."
But how about a rusted solid 4" thick iron door (weight about 300-400 lbs) moving for no reason!? I'm still trying to figure it out myself?

kal-el said:
Not in the outer edge, an infinite universe dosen't have such a place. Neither a center. If that is indeed the definition of a physical universe, then I would have to say that there are an infinite number of them, as nothing is composed of nothing, everything has to be made of something. If it were indeed made up of nothing, it wouldn't exist.

I guess I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure our Universe does have a center and that center doesn't move no matter how much the Universe expands. What happens is, the planets, stars etc-the matter is spreading apart as the space expands. But assuming that the Universe is expanding at a rate proportional to its original dimensions, than the center would never move. It's simple math, really.

kal-el said:

So you are saying the universe is "infinite?"

Okay!

Now, answer the question:

George_Washington said:
I guess I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure our Universe does have a center and that center doesn't move no matter how much the Universe expands. What happens is, the planets, stars etc-the matter is spreading apart as the space expands. But assuming that the Universe is expanding at a rate proportional to its original dimensions, than the center would never move. It's simple math, really.

A center? I assume youmean the sun? LOL:lol: dude, the sun is the center of our solar system, itself a shooting star around our galaxy.

Back
Top Bottom