• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do We Have Background checks?

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Simple question. Do we have background checks for firearms in this nation?

yes, all firearms sold at a retail level by licensed dealers require a background check except in certain cases (some states I believe, allow you to present a valid CCW license or FOID which of course, was the result of a prior background check)

yes, all firearms sold at a retail level by licensed dealers require a background check except in certain cases (some states I believe, allow you to present a valid CCW license or FOID which of course, was the result of a prior background check)

Yep. The CCW in Florida skips the in store check in and 3 day wait crap. But you have to be background checked and fingerprinted to get that. A level 2 check actually (defined that way somewhere by law). The DCF just started requiring that for all employees working in jobs dealing with children.

Depends on how you get them. Only two of my firearms was purchased through a vendor who was required to perform a background check. One was inherited, the others were bought from friends of mine. I prefer buying from friends, though. Keeps prices low, and odds are I already shot it.

Depends on how you get them. Only two of my firearms was purchased through a vendor who was required to perform a background check. One was inherited, the others were bought from friends of mine. I prefer buying from friends, though. Keeps prices low, and odds are I already shot it.

Yep. But it seems that you also are in agreement. Background checks are extant in this nation.

Yep. But it seems that you also are in agreement. Background checks are extant in this nation.

The very idea that even "law abiding" citizens are going to go through the pain in the ass and cost of going through a FFL dealer for a background check when selling or gifting to friends and family is about as moronic as believing you can keep teens from having sex by preaching abstinence.

in NC long guns have an "in-store" check by the dealer.......for a handgun you must get a purchase permit through the Sheriffs Dept., usually takes a week or so to get it.....

The very idea that even "law abiding" citizens are going to go through the pain in the ass and cost of going through a FFL dealer for a background check when selling or gifting to friends and family is about as moronic as believing you can keep teens from having sex by preaching abstinence.
Like I've said before. If my purchase price in total for a firearm is 530$ and I want to sell it, I have to devalue it from the start over a new and unfired model so I'm already starting at minimum 400$(assuming 90% condition). If the potential buyer doesn't want to spend that and starts at 300$ we may get somewhere around 350-375$ asking price, fair.

Then comes the "transfer check", where I have to ask the government permission to sell my personal(not business, huge diffference) property in advance by accessing the NICS which I do not have access to. That means I have to go through either a law enforcement agency or a dealer, neither of which will run a check without charging some kind of fee. So assuming the fee is 15 dollars, as much as 25 then I am already losing that value in the sale, I have to either increase my asking price to reflect the transfer cost which takes value from the buyer just to get my valuation, pay it upfront and eat the cost which isn't fair to me, or ask the person to pay it which is fair from a transaction perspective but in reality punitive to my buyer. That's not even counting giving a firearm to a friend or family member, or child, or even estate transfers where no money is exchanged, all of a sudden I have to pay more to give my property.

The whole idea is bull****.

in NC long guns have an "in-store" check by the dealer.......for a handgun you must get a purchase permit through the Sheriffs Dept., usually takes a week or so to get it.....

at one time you couldn't mail order in crossbows in that whacko state either.

at one time you couldn't mail order in crossbows in that whacko state either.

It is odd how different NC and SC are.

I've lived in both, but reside in SC now. Very different.

It is odd how different NC and SC are.

I've lived in both, but reside in SC now. Very different.

I am up on archery topics. I was incredulous when someone from NC said they could not buy a crossbow through the mail. I was figuring that idiocy was written by someone who was a French Knight in his past life

In theory. And what I mean is that my 4473 never, ever gets verified, let alone within a few minutes. On LITERALLY seven separate occassions I had to just wait out the 72 hours and go pick up my guns (all long guns in NY - no state licenses or permits needed). So is a minimal background check actually happening..who knows.

This has actually caused a loss of business for a Maryland pawn broker as I was interested in purchasing 3 riflles and I was only in town for a day and a half and the 4473 never was responded to. 2 days later the guy called me back when I was 300 miles away and with no plans of returning anytime soon. That's the crap that just pisses ya off.

I know there's a form to fill out to prevent this from happening but I didn't want a 'permanent' record hanging around the FBI/BATF

Last edited:
In theory. And what I mean is that my 4473 never, ever gets verified, let alone within a few minutes. On LITERALLY seven separate occassions I had to just wait out the 72 hours and go pick up my guns (all long guns in NY - no state licenses or permits needed). So is a minimal background check actually happening..who knows.

This has actually caused a loss of business for a Maryland pawn broker as I was interested in purchasing 3 riflles and I was only in town for a day and a half and the 4473 never was responded to. 2 days later the guy called me back when I was 300 miles away and with no plans of returning anytime soon. That's the crap that just pisses ya off.

I prefer states where if you have a CCW that cuts through all the crap. If people wanted to really achieve all the alleged good that the BGC causes here is what should happen

You turn 18 and you go to the BMV and your license is endorsed with LONG GUN

you turn 21 and it says handgun

you get convicted of a felony, adjudicated incompetent etc, the court takes your license and you get one that SAYS DISQUALIFIED

you go to a shop-show them your license and you get the gun

if I sell you a gun I merely have to tell the constabulary if you commit a crime that you showed me your license that said you were ok to own a gun.

there-all of the good is supported and all the evil goes away

Liberals don't like this because it won't lead to registration

In Virginia, from my experience, they run a background check just like an employer would. Depending on where you buy from, it could be less than a day, or instantaneous. Other places take a couple of days, but there is no specified waiting period of which I am aware, though it has been a few years since I have purchased a gun.

In Virginia, from my experience, they run a background check just like an employer would. Depending on where you buy from, it could be less than a day, or instantaneous. Other places take a couple of days, but there is no specified waiting period of which I am aware, though it has been a few years since I have purchased a gun.
Some states may have a full run through, and I know a few have a standard waiting period, usually 3 days. In La. all you have to do is fill out the 4473, the dealer calls in the NICS check and the "may sell" or "no sell" is given and it's done, takes about 20 minutes if the system isn't busy.

Yep. The CCW in Florida skips the in store check in and 3 day wait crap. But you have to be background checked and fingerprinted to get that. A level 2 check actually (defined that way somewhere by law). The DCF just started requiring that for all employees working in jobs dealing with children.

having a CWFL does not skip the FDLE background check. It only skips the three day wait and that's if you don't get a conditional non-approval.

What sucks a** is that a law abiding citizen who has never committed any kind of crime in their life has to pay the State $5:00 to prove they are not a criminal prior to exercising their 2nd A rights. Infringement anyone?

Last edited:

Yeah, this is the problem with trying to force background checks for sales between non-FFL dealers. If you make something a pain in the ass and cost money, people aren't going to want to do it. And the law will be pretty much impossible to enforce.

Yeah, this is the problem with trying to force background checks for sales between non-FFL dealers. If you make something a pain in the ass and cost money, people aren't going to want to do it. And the law will be pretty much impossible to enforce.

Na, they would enforce the crap out of it. Hit up as many gun shows, do private sales. Take your info then raid your home. For that, they would find a way.
If that became law, I would just never sell another gun.

They used to be a Souther State. Must be all the hipsters that moved there.

They used to be a Souther State. Must be all the hipsters that moved there.

And all those hipsters went out and voted in office idiot politicians that would allow infringements on the 2A. While all the true "southeners" sat home and said "I aint got time to vote", " I dont believe in voting", "I aint voting for a black or a Mormon".

And all those hipsters went out and voted in office idiot politicians that would allow infringements on the 2A. While all the true "southeners" sat home and said "I aint got time to vote", " I dont believe in voting", "I aint voting for a black or a Mormon".

Sadly I can't disagree with the first part. I do with the end.

Back
Top Bottom