• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do we have a UFO problem ?

You watch too much Star Trek...You do know that it is fiction right? No alien race has ever visited earth and none are ever likely to. The same goes for us. The universe is just too big and Einstein's calculations apply to all of it.

Einstein's theory of special relativity is fine, for century old science. But modern experiments demonstrate information travelling faster than light (in fact as far as we can tell, infinitely faster). This opens up the possibility of teleportation: an object (including a living being) could be recreated instantly, light years away.

I'm aware of the limit of Star Trek science. Teleporters in ST have strictly limited range, but this is just a plot device. If teleports only required a machine at each end then starships would be obsolete: we'd just send the machines promiscuously everywhere. In the real world, the limitation is energy: creating a human body from pure energy would be enormously expensive, but if you have FTL information transfer, then you have the technical ability to transport humans FTL.

Actual warp drive is not out of the question either (this is FTL but not simultaneous transmission of matter). It would involve creating a bubble in spacetime, and would require vast amounts of energy (which rips a hole in spacetime at the end of the journey.) I'm not saying it's practical however Star Trek at least named it right: "warp drive."

Dilithium crystals might seem silly, unless you imagine a proton and anti-proton kept apart by some force. Then it would be the purest form of energy storage we know of: matter/antimatter. I would have gone with a universal fusor, knowing that interstellar space and even intergalactic space, still has matter in it which could be used for fuel. If I was making the show now, I'd jimmy up some nonsense about tapping into the Higgs field. But again it's a plot device: Enterprise carries a limited amount of fuel (dilithium crystals) so there is always tension about being stranded far from home without the power to move.

There's a reason nerds have always liked Star Trek, and snort contemptuously at Star Wars. Star Trek is science fiction, which is to say it has some basis in real science.

My understanding is that the hearing ruled out optical illusion and stupidity because multiple sightings took place involve advanced weapons tracking and radar systems that were in working order and operated by highly trained personnel, from naval aviators to ship radar crew, considering UAPs that are much larger than plastic bags, moving at high speed, maneuvering in impossible ways, detected by equipment that should in no way mistake them from optical illusions as that would be extremely bad news for the military, and then detected again by radar by another ship miles away.

Nothing but sightings by eye (without head up display) really impress me. All the electronic systems could be hacked, and not necessarily by the bad guys. Agencies frustrated that the Navy isn't taking them seriously, could set the pilots up to look like fools.

Apparently there HAVE been visual sightings, which is interesting. People with excessive faith in their instruments can hallucinate what "should" be there. But it's unlikely to happen often or with multiple pilots.

Random ass fighter pilot doesn't have the clearance for all the high tech experimental shit that the military uses.

Nothing but sightings by eye (without head up display) really impress me. All the electronic systems could be hacked, and not necessarily by the bad guys. Agencies frustrated that the Navy isn't taking them seriously, could set the pilots up to look like fools.

Apparently there HAVE been visual sightings, which is interesting. People with excessive faith in their instruments can hallucinate what "should" be there. But it's unlikely to happen often or with multiple pilots.
...the human eye is probably the least reliable part of this process.

In this case, the equipment involved weapons tracking systems in jet fighters and radar systems in aircraft carriers and other ships. It's highly unlikely that they were all hacked or even faulty across multiple ships and military exercises.

The reason why the government is more concerned now is because their view is the opposite of yours: they don't find visual sightings helpful for obvious reasons.

Lastly, several of these incidents involve several pilots in separate aircraft, detected using equipment, and ground radar (some combining commercial and military personnel).

Random ass fighter pilot doesn't have the clearance for all the high tech experimental shit that the military uses.

They were pilots on military exercises, together with radar personnel on the aircraft carrier. The UAP was also detected by another ship miles away.

They were pilots on military exercises, together with radar personnel on the aircraft carrier. The UAP was also detected by another ship miles away.
Right, and nobody is going to tell these random ass fighter pilots and radar operators the details of a highly classified spy plane/drone. They don't need to know.

However, "how readily can our spy drone be detected and intercepted" is something people higher up the food chain would be interested in.

Right, and nobody is going to tell these random ass fighter pilots and radar operators the details of a highly classified spy plane/drone. They don't need to know.

However, "how readily can our spy drone be detected and intercepted" is something people higher up the food chain would be interested in.

You're around a year too late. The ones higher up include the Navy top brass and the Pentagon, and they were grilled by Congress last May.

When you consider the amount of energy expelled at the instant of the Big Bang I think there is a twist or kink in time that accounts for decades of sightings yet no contact.

Back
Top Bottom