• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do we have a pet section on here?

CRUE CAB

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
We need one if not.
I just had to put my dog down last weekend.
And its been terrible, but I have noticed my older cat is acting very depressed.
This is not a joke by the way.
I had my black lab for over 14 years and we just ran out of time, he finally just couldnt walk any longer.
We had him on 3 meds for his hips, but it was no longer enough and I could see it in his face last Sunday that he had given his all.
So we took him in and had him put down.
Yes, I cried all day. I am getting choked up just typing this.
Jetta, the cat and he were together all of Jetta's life. Jetta is 8 now. His name is Jetta because thats were I found him, in the back of a VW Jetta that was going to be crushed at the yard I was working at.
Someone had actually locked him as a kitten in the trunk. Luckily someone heard it and we pryed the trunk open and there he was.
Any way, he is just down. He stares at the place next to our bed that Shaft slept and walks through the house poking his head in all the rooms.
I came home the other day, and Jetta would not get off the couch. Laid there until I went to bed. So I picked him up and carried him to the bed and he meowed like crazy.
He is eating, and using his litter box. So I guess he is physically ok. But you can just tell he is not happy.
I have never heard of a cat "grieving".

We need one if not.
And its been terrible, but I have noticed my older cat is acting very depressed.
I had my black lab for over 14 years and we just ran out of time, he finally just couldnt walk any longer.
We had him on 3 meds for his hips, but it was no longer enough and I could see it in his face last Sunday that he had given his all.
Jetta, the cat and he were together all of Jetta's life. Jetta is 8 now. His name is Jetta because thats were I found him, in the back of a VW Jetta that was going to be crushed at the yard I was working at.
Someone had actually locked him as a kitten in the trunk. Luckily someone heard it and we pryed the trunk open and there he was.
Any way, he is just down. He stares at the place next to our bed that Shaft slept and walks through the house poking his head in all the rooms.
I came home the other day, and Jetta would not get off the couch. Laid there until I went to bed. So I picked him up and carried him to the bed and he meowed like crazy.
He is eating, and using his litter box. So I guess he is physically ok. But you can just tell he is not happy.

I'm sorry about your dog.

Our family cat passed away a few years back in my arms. Our dog came down stairs while she was dying and started to wimper, put his tail between his legs, he knew what was happening. It was pitiful. Animals are pretty smart.

I have seen dogs go alittle batty when someone dies.
My moms Peekapoo would not go anywhere near her in her last days dying of cancer.
I even tried carrying him in to her room, and he would bolt and hide.
He knew some bad stuff was happening.
But a cat? They are usually all about themselves.

We need one if not.

I'm sorry for your loss.
I've been there, one day another will come along but you'll never forget him.

Again sorry for your loss!!

We need one if not.

**Hugs** I'm sorry for your loss. I have two labs myself and had a black lab years ago that I had to put down. :(

Even over the years and several pets passing on, it doesn't get any easier, I know. :(

We need one if not.

I am so sorry for your loss, and it sounds like he had a nice long life. Poor Jetta, too he lost his buddy :(

I am so sorry for your loss, and it sounds like he had a nice long life. Poor Jetta, too he lost his buddy :(

I have been lucky, our Peek lived to 19. Our lab to well over 14.
I dont know, but I think its because they are all treated like members of the family and not so much like pets.
Jetta used to walk up to Shaft and rub is head on Shafts face, but I thought it was because he like to rub his head on stuff.
Left to my own devices, I probably would have been out to the animal shelter already. But the wife is thinking that it would be nice with just the 2 cats for a while.
We both have had pets our whole lives, and the last 6 months to a year have been very draining emotionally watching our friend go through so much. He really was a great dog, as are most labs.
I would like to think about a slightly smaller dog like a Beagle or something if we got another.

Yes, sorry for your loss.

When my beloved 7-cat died abruptly, her companion PuBare hid in a cabinet for 2 weeks. She was his protector and his love. After 2 weeks, he made his way to a bookcase in the bedroom where I placed her ashes. He lay down in front of her and howled all night. The next day, he returned to normal. I wish I could say the same about myself - it took me 5 years to recover from the loss.

SEVEN-CAT'S MEMORIAL

Cat's are not selfish. They consider themselves your full partner. It takes some effort to win the love of a cat - dogs do it for free. But the belief they are uncaring or selfish is not true. You have to make the investment to reap the rewards.

We need one if not.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. As someone who's had dogs all my life since I was about 5, I've experienced the grief that comes with putting to sleep a great friend who's tried really hard to stay with you but just can't any longer. It never gets easier even though I've had to do it 7 times so far and I'm only a couple of years from my next time.

Your cat will definitely feel the loss too - all domesticated animals have the capacity for compassion and empathy. Part of your cat's mood will also be his reaction to the sadness you're exhibiting. Animals can easily tell your mood and how to react to it. And I'm also sure that when there are a couple or several domesticated animals in a home, they know when one of them is near the end of life and they aren't surprised although still sad and sad for you.

I'm not sure if Shaft was your first dog, but I've always taken the position that the dog who's left you wouldn't want you to be sad - they spend their whole lives trying to make you happy - and Shaft would want you to find a new puppy friend for yourself and also for Jetta too. Take your time grieving and remembering but don't ever think that adopting a new puppy friend will be disrespectful of Shaft. It just means that your heart is big enough for many special friends in your life and there are countless helpless animals who need people like you.

Take care

We need one if not.

Cats do definitely grieve.

Budweiser was father to Michelob (yeah, yeah, I know) and they spent virtually all 8 years together. When Bud contracted feline diabetes, the vet told us he would have a couple months, but that went quickly and Bud deteriorated rapidly. Mickey would leave his side for only minutes at a time, and when the final night came, I sat with Bud in my lap as he cried in pain, until the vet's office open the next morning. Mickey stayed with us, meowing at the top of his lungs, and after we came home from putting Bud down, Mickey wouldn't leave us except for the litter box, and he dragged around for what seemed like months. He only perked up again when visiting with the neighbors cats.

They grieve. And it tears your heart out.

Your cat will definitely feel the loss too - all domesticated animals have the capacity for compassion and empathy. Part of your cat's mood will also be his reaction to the sadness you're exhibiting. Animals can easily tell your mood and how to react to it. And I'm also sure that when there are a couple or several domesticated animals in a home, they know when one of them is near the end of life and they aren't surprised although still sad and sad for you.

I'm not sure if Shaft was your first dog, but I've always taken the position that the dog who's left you wouldn't want you to be sad - they spend their whole lives trying to make you happy - and Shaft would want you to find a new puppy friend for yourself and also for Jetta too. Take your time grieving and remembering but don't ever think that adopting a new puppy friend will be disrespectful of Shaft. It just means that your heart is big enough for many special friends in your life and there are countless helpless animals who need people like you.

Take care
I know Shaft would never take it as disrespect. I got him the very afternoon we put our Peek down. He was named and out at the lake on day one.
And the Peek's name, Angus, tattooed on my right inside wrist in old english. He was named for Angus Young of AC/DC fame. I was 16 when he came home with mom and dad.
Shafts tat will be close to it.
We also had him cremated and I got the urn and ashes back just yesterday.

We need one if not.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Every time we've lost a beloved pet, it felt like someone had reached into my chest and ripped out a piece of my heart. My condolences. :(

Yes, cats grieve. Our cats grieved the loss of our dog, whom they had known since they were kittens. They looked for him, room to room, then one by one, the dog's toys appeared in his doggie bed. The cats had brought them upstairs and laid them there.

They grieved the loss of each other, as they reached the end of their lives. They had been littermates, and their loss was palpable as much as was our own. The day before our final cat from that litter died, he had pulled himself up into our bed, and laid on my side, which he hadn't done since he was a kitten. I slid in beside him, cradling him in my arms. The next day, he was gone.

The loss of a precious pet is so gut-wrenching that one wonders if the agony of their loss is worth the joy of sharing our life with them. It is, of course. The happy memories make it so.

Again, I'm so sorry. :(

Back
Top Bottom