• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do Waiting Periods Work?

That makes sense, because they were counting successful suicides (you can’t easily underreport those) rather than suicide failed attempts (very apt to go underreported). It‘s not hard to inflict a fatal self-inflicted gunshot wound on the first attempt even if you are otherwise not a very good shot. As with any endeavor, using the best tool for the job helps to ensure success.

Exactly. If you had an incurable brain tumor and decided to check out early what would you use? A firearm would be my first choice for the reasons you mentioned.

Moreover, people have the right to end their life if they choose to do so. Do any of you anti-gun leftists support laws criminalizing suicide? In other words, if someone attempts to kill themselves and fail, should they by imprisoned? If no, then you must agree that they have the right to end their life if they choose to do so.

I didn't say anything about taking away anyone's right to commit suicide. In fact, it's one of the reasons I believe everyone should have the right to buy a weapon. I watched both of my brothers die of brain cancer. However, I'm not at all opposed to some forms of gun control.

Is this the car control forum?
Just offering an alternative to firearms being the most deadly and accessible instrument of suicide.

Exactly. If you had an incurable brain tumor and decided to check out early what would you use? A firearm would be my first choice for the reasons you mentioned.

Carbon Monoxide. Hypothermia if I can get where it is cold enough. In both cases you quietly doze off.

Approximately 1% of self inflicted gunshots are survived.... I don't want to think of the aftermath.

Carbon Monoxide. Hypothermia if I can get where it is cold enough. In both cases you quietly doze off.

Approximately 1% of self inflicted gunshots are survived.... I don't want to think of the aftermath.
The main point is many one car vehicle crashes and head-on into trucks, etc., are actually suicides. Often spur of the moment and take almost no planning and little volition. There is evidence some may even be sub-consciously triggered.

If there were a ten day waiting period to buy a bag of potatoes, potato sales would go down.

Because harvested crops are perishable

You could say the same thing about newspapers too Btw

Reducing the amount of gun sales is the only reason people who are anti-gun support waiting periods.

Why would a person who registers interest in buying a gun be put off buying it if there was a waiting period ?

Ten day wait here in CA. Pistols require a "test". If you graduated from 8th grade, you'll likely pass it.
Except black powder pistols, like the Confederate Navy Colt. No wait. You do need at least a semi-operable brain to load it correctly, though.

Ok, hidden agenda. I just bought my first rifle with my 'stimulus' check and wanted to brag. Its a Savage XP .308 if you're interested. I plan on mainly just having fun at the range, but its always useful to have a tool and skill for hunting.

Anyway, im in Florida, and we only used to have a three day waiting period on handguns. Since the Parkland shooting, when a guy passed a background check, bought a rifle, and then shot someones a year later, we now have a three day waiting period on rifles too. Which is pretty annoying. I still have one day to wait to go pick up, and thought I would ask if this waiting has any real point?
The period allows for background checks which can sometimes take time to complete. They are a very small price to pay and if they prevent even a few lunatics from getting guns or allow a handful of angry idiots to calm down they're worth a shot.

Given the number of mass shootings and gun deaths in this country, we have to try something.

No classes necessary

Anyone not believing me, can look the process up.
You should have looked it up before you claimed to have one.

Georgia issues CCW's without the need to take classes etc

I just paid the fee and it came through the mail about two weeks later.

Repeating a lie is simply repeating a lie.

Starting new lies is silly.

WEAPONS CARRY LICENSES

APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO FILE NEW APPLICATIONS FOR WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE USING THE Reservation CALENDAR BELOW. Please have your Application completed prior to arriving at the court. in an effort to limit the number of people in the office, please make sure only the applicant is present to file the application. FURTHER, RENEWAL APPLICATIONS MAY BE SUBMITTED BY MAIL if the original license was issued in gwinnett county. PLEASE SEE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW in the section “WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE APPLICATION FORM”.

Repeating a lie is simply repeating a lie.

Starting new lies is silly.

WEAPONS CARRY LICENSES

APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT TO FILE NEW APPLICATIONS FOR WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE USING THE Reservation CALENDAR BELOW. Please have your Application completed prior to arriving at the court. in an effort to limit the number of people in the office, please make sure only the applicant is present to file the application. FURTHER, RENEWAL APPLICATIONS MAY BE SUBMITTED BY MAIL if the original license was issued in gwinnett county. PLEASE SEE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW in the section “WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE APPLICATION FORM”.

Gwinnett County Courts - Probate Court - Georgia Weapons Carry License

You guys debate over mouse nuts . You never talk about anything practical that could be done. Do you know what that is called. (masturbation)

It has done so for a number of years.

Back
Top Bottom