• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do Waiting Periods Work?

"Everyday Georgia residents seeking a CCW permit start their gun permit certification process here. We have put together the simplest concealed carry online permit qualification survey. In our 6-question survey you will see if you qualify for a multi-state recognized concealed carry license. Our CHL trainer is state approved; we are not a government agency."

"Everyday Georgia residents seeking a CCW permit start their gun permit certification process here. We have put together the simplest concealed carry online permit qualification survey. In our 6-question survey you will see if you qualify for a multi-state recognized concealed carry license. Our CHL trainer is state approved; we are not a government agency."

As I have argued before all gun owners should be registered in the same way as ccw. He can own as many guns and types as he wants but he is legally responsible for keeping those guns out of non-gun owner's hands. In fact the same registration criteria should be used to be a registered voter including civics classes and testing.

What does Georgia law say? That would be more authoritative than some cherry picked guy.

As I have argued before all gun owners should be registered in the same way as ccw. He can own as many guns and types as he wants but he is legally responsible for keeping those guns out of non-gun owner's hands. In fact the same registration criteria should be used to be a registered voter including civics classes and testing.

I kind of agree

Every gun owner should posses a license to own a gun. That license can be revoked if the owner is convicted of a crime for example

The license should state, what gun(s) you have, what gun types you're permitted to have and whether you're permitted to carry a gun concealed

You should only be allowed to buy a gun if you show the license and only be allowed to buy ammunition for the guns listed.

Eligible Georgians can apply for a Weapons Carry License through probate court.

WCL =/ CCW

You are wrong about that. It’s simply a different label for the same state issued privilege (aka constitutional rights rental agreement) of carrying a handgun.

In Texas, such nonsense is now called a LTC (License To Carry) and applies to handguns whether carried openly or concealed. Fortunately, the user (non-refundable application) fee has been reduced, but it still requires passing an NRA course (about $100, plus 50 rounds of ammo) as a prerequisite.

In Texas, its CCW permit label used to be (called) a CHL (Concealed Handgun License), but has been relabeled making open carry of a handgun more restrictive or, as some insist, concealed carry less restrictive - since even accidental exposure with a CHL used to be taboo.

That's Fledermaus for you

He's obsessed that Georgia doesn't issue CCW's when it has for several years.

I know because I have one.

Some are getting confused by the label being applied to a particular state’s constitutional rights rental agreement. CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) permit, LTC (License To Carry) or CHL (Concealed Handgun License) are all very similar excuses for the state to charge a fee to fully exercise one’s 2A rights. The 2A clearly says “keep and bear” - it does not say “keep or bear with (rented) state permission”.

Georgia doesn't.

Cite the GEORGIA law if you believe it to be true.

You can't. And we both know it.

Here it is:

A Weapons Carry License (WCL), also called a firearms license, allows you to legally carry a concealed firearm in Georgia. You do not need a WCL to purchase a firearm, only to carry one in certain situations.

Last edited:
You are wrong about that. It’s simply a different label for the same state issued privilege (aka constitutional rights rental agreement) of carrying a handgun.

In Texas, such nonsense is now called a LTC (License To Carry) and applies to handguns whether carried openly or concealed. Fortunately, the user (non-refundable application) fee has been reduced, but it still requires passing an NRA course (about $100, plus 50 rounds of ammo) as a prerequisite.

In Texas, its CCW permit label used to be (called) a CHL (Concealed Handgun License), but has been relabeled making open carry of a handgun more restrictive or, as some insist, concealed carry less restrictive - since even accidental exposure with a CHL used to be taboo.
Suppose you had a LTC but for whatever reason said you had a CCW, and someone asked if you were referring to the Texas LTC.

Would you forever more insist that what you have is a Texas CCW and anyone referring to a Texas LTC is talking out their ass?

Suppose you had a LTC but for whatever reason said you had a CCW, and someone asked if you were referring to the Texas LTC.

Would you forever more insist that what you have is a Texas CCW and anyone referring to a Texas LTC is talking out their ass?

Nope - and, to make matters even more confusing, try figuring out the various interstate reciprocity agreements (or lack thereof) for these oddly named 2A infringements.

It’s like saying Texas has no DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) since (part of) that function is handled by DPS (Department of Public Safety) in Texas - obviously, that means Texans must lack drivers licenses or state issued photo IDs. ;)

Some are getting confused by the label being applied to a particular state’s constitutional rights rental agreement. CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon) permit, LTC (License To Carry) or CHL (Concealed Handgun License) are all very similar excuses for the state to charge a fee to fully exercise one’s 2A rights. The 2A clearly says “keep and bear” - it does not say “keep or bear with (rented) state permission”.

True, states have taken on the power to decide HOW you may bear your firearm(s).

True, states have taken on the power to decide HOW you may bear your firearm(s).

Actually, it’s much more like “if” than “how” when it comes to most state laws concerning handguns. BTW, we seem to have wandered far off of the stated thread topic.

Actually, it’s much more like “if” than “how” when it comes to most state laws concerning handguns. BTW, we seem to have wandered far off of the stated thread topic.

Threads tend to do that

For what it's worth, I think everyone who owns a gun, should have a federally issued license to buy a gun

Such a license would be government issued photo ID and list what guns you are authorized to have and what you do have
It could also serve as your CCW too.

Nope - and, to make matters even more confusing, try figuring out the various interstate reciprocity agreements (or lack thereof) for these oddly named 2A infringements.

It’s like saying Texas has no DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) since (part of) that function is handled by DPS (Department of Public Safety) in Texas - obviously, that means Texans must lack drivers licenses or state issued photo IDs. ;)
If you told me that you know all about Texas drivers licenses because you work for the Texas DMV and I knew Texas didn't have an entity by that name, I might question if you were being completely honest in your statement or if your knowledge was all you claimed.

I do understand the idea of not getting too wrapped up in technicalities and accepting what are often commonly understood terms. That's why I generally don't jump on the magazine/clip thing. Unless the discussion hinges on technicality, I know what someone means if they refer to an M16 clip.

Threads tend to do that

For what it's worth, I think everyone who owns a gun, should have a federally issued license to buy a gun

Such a license would be government issued photo ID and list what guns you are authorized to have and what you do have
It could also serve as your CCW too.

I oppose the idea of converting individual constitutional rights into mere state issued privileges. So long as the conditions for keeping one’s 2A rights are the same as for keeping one’s right to vote then I might at least consider the idea.

I oppose the idea of converting individual constitutional rights into mere state issued privileges. So long as the conditions for keeping one’s 2A rights are the same as for keeping one’s right to vote then I might at least consider the idea.

Why would that convert from a right to a privilege ?

Requiring people to register their guns does infringe on their right to bear arms at all, in the same way that registering to vote doesn't infringe on your right to vote.

Why would that convert from a right to a privilege ?

Requiring people to register their guns does infringe on their right to bear arms at all, in the same way that registering to vote doesn't infringe on your right to vote.

Registering to vote is for the express purpose of limiting the right to vote to only once in any given election and to only those adult US citizens within that jurisdiction.

To assert that registering guns is not intended to restrict (aka limit) one’s “gun rights” fails the basic test of common sense. What, exactly, is the purpose of your “gun registration” plan and how does that not make possessing or carrying a gun become a mere state issued privilege?

Big difference.

Georgia sees fit to require registration not only for concealed carry but also open carry.

That is what makes the WCL unique and not merely a CCW.

That and Georgia Law makes no mention of CCW. Nowhere. Not years ago. Not now.

Rich2018 has admitted he was (claimed to have been) issued a WCL.

Now he insists it is a CCW as a form of trolling by blatantly lying.

From the link:

Eligible Georgians can apply for a Weapons Carry License through probate court.

A Weapons Carry License (WCL), also called a firearms license, allows you to legally carry a concealed firearm in Georgia. You do not need a WCL to purchase a firearm, only to carry one in certain situations.
Your Georgia WCL may be valid in other states. You can find states that practice firearm permit reciprocity with Georgia on the Georgia’s Department of Public Safety’s website.
You can find detailed information about Georgia’s gun laws on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives website.

There is not one word about CCW in any Georgia Law.

Registering to vote is for the express purpose of limiting the right to vote to only once in any given election and to only those adult US citizens within that jurisdiction.

To assert that registering guns is not intended to restrict (aka limit) one’s “gun rights” fails the basic test of common sense. What, exactly, is the purpose of your “gun registration” plan and how does that not make possessing or carrying a gun become a mere state issued privilege?

No, I think that a constitutional amendment should be passed (supported by a federal law) that mandates that every states registers all eligible voters.

Back
Top Bottom