• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do video games cause real world violence?

Do you video games cause real world violence?

• Total voters
While I do not know for sure if they play a contributing factor to an acceptance of violence - I suspect that for some they most certainly do. I can see nothing good coming from their overuse.

Yes they do.

When I beat my friends at Goldeneye, occasionally they were so infuriated they took that three-pronged controller and smacked my leg with it.

Then I killed them some more! :mrgreen:

This is a public poll.

Here's the catch. If video games cause violence... why is S. Korea and Japan, major gaming hubs, have very little violence.

The south koreans should zerg one another and each other to get stronger on a daily basis. So no...

Here's the catch. If video games cause violence... why is S. Korea and Japan, major gaming hubs, have very little violence.

Self-harm in relation to video games, on the other hand, is quite high over there.

Self-harm in relation to video games, on the other hand, is quite high over there.

true... sedentary lifestyle.

Yes they do.

When I beat my friends at Goldeneye, occasionally they were so infuriated they took that three-pronged controller and smacked my leg with it.

You play goldeneye?
o_O

Whyyyyy?

The south koreans should zerg one another and each other to get stronger on a daily basis. So no...

Do you labor under the impression that every person in every different culture and social circumstance will respond the exact same way to the same stimulus?

true... sedentary lifestyle.

You play goldeneye?
o_O

Whyyyyy?

Long ago. Prior to Perfect Dark, that was the console game to play. I haven't played a video game in months, however.

Do you labor under the impression that every person in every different culture and social circumstance will respond the exact same way to the same stimulus?

Well let me tell you smth.

If you apply the same stimulus to multiple different systems, and some systems produce a non-harmful response... while others produce a very damaging response, then the problem doesn't lie with the stimulus, but with the system that are deficitary.

So you can't hold the stimulus responsible. Look at the cultures (the systems) and see what the problem is.

Every study on the subject has showed no link, correlation or causation, between playing video games and actual violence. Just like with books, movies, TV shows, campfire stories, limericks, legends, or paintings. We depict violence because it exists around us. We do not enact it because we depict it.

They do tend far more strongly to fantasy in gaming. GTA and CoD (and Goldeneye :) )don't sell **** over there.

I believe any media can desensitise one toward whatever they portray. This does not signal support for legislation to control it.

Yes they do.

I was all about Pistols, Licence to Kill, Stack and no Oddjobs. Jaws meant you were an arrogant ****er. You?

It could potentially cause people with mental issues to act out.

I am pretty sure that when GTA4 came out someone in Calgary who was high on something went on a car jacking spree, and rob a store or two, that he probably was playing GTA 4 quite a bit before hand.

They do tend far more strongly to fantasy in gaming. GTA and CoD (and Goldeneye :) )don't sell **** over there.

I believe any media can desensitise one toward whatever they portray. This does not signal support for legislation to control it.

They play starcraft, they should start eating one another.

Anyway. it's the same stimulus -> mass gaming culture.

The problem is the media... it "popularizes" these people. Also maybe a lot more things... who knows, i'm not a psychologist.

No because, Violence is caused by a decision to act violently. However like any training simulator video games can provide practice, develop efficiency, and desensitize one who is prone to commit violence.

I was all about Pistols, Licence to Kill, Stack and no Oddjobs. Jaws meant you were an arrogant ****er. You?

Rocket launchers and strafing in the Library, Complex, and one other one. That was our favorite thing to do. Made good damn use of those yellow buttons (up and down were my favorite).

Edit: Oh yes, can't forget proximity mines and remote mines. Proximity mines in the Facility map and Remote mines in the Severnaya satellite base complex map.

Last edited:
Every study on the subject has showed no link, correlation or causation, between playing video games and actual violence. Just like with books, movies, TV shows, campfire stories, limericks, legends, or paintings. We depict violence because it exists around us. We do not enact it because we depict it.

If behavior isn't shaped by video images, why do companies spend millions each year or TV advertisements?

They play starcraft, they should start eating one another.

Anyway. it's the same stimulus -> mass gaming culture.

The problem is the media... it "popularizes" these people. Also maybe a lot more things... who knows, i'm not a psychologist.

And if they produce a Hitler he can use Starcraft as a defence. The 1st/3rd person shooter phenomenon is a bit more personal when it comes to killing simulation. One can laugh at the idea of banning ****, I think it's unreasonable to think there's no connection between media and an individuals actions.

Its hard to find a famous historical killer who wasn't a fanboy for something in the arts.

And if they produce a Hitler he can use Starcraft as a defence. The 1st/3rd person shooter phenomenon is a bit more personal when it comes to killing simulation. One can laugh at the idea of banning ****, I think it's unreasonable to think there's no connection between media and an individuals actions.

Its hard to find a famous historical killer who wasn't a fanboy for something in the arts.

I don't know man... i'm not a psychologist. I am just saying... it seems like this problem is more prevalent in the USA. Take Europe then, not a lot of crime due to violence in video games either. Sure we have crime... but it's for social reasons, not this.

And blaming video games is really non-sensical. Just like banning movies for violence. Now most movies are crap but still...they don't cause violence. The root cause that make people do school shootings and whatever lies deeper than this shallow explanation.

It depends on whether or not you're weak-minded.

I don't blame video games. I don't blame TV or movies. I dont even blame drugs. I just think there's an influence, one that should be honestly discussed beyond one side saying there's no connection and the other saying some dude hit and ran simply because he played GTA.

I don't blame Wagner, Martin Luther or Charles Darwin for Hitler, but they all played a part.

Excerpt:

>" In simple and understandable terms, Grossman went over the psychology of the act of killing. Taking another human being's life is a highly unnatural act. People must be conditioned through proper training to overcome this natural revulsion, and to react automatically when it becomes necessary. In the aftermath, it is a given that specific physical and mental symptoms will manifest themselves. When they do, the condition is known as Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD for short. PTSD can result in severe depression, suicide, and destroyed families. Proper officer survival training should include the recognition of PTSD, and how to respond to it. The effects of PTSD can be mitigated by how we respond to others who have been involved in a critical incident.

Colonel Grossman unveiled what he believes to be the largest single threat to modern civilization: violent media and video games. As a soldier, this nemesis is Grossman's new Evil Empire, and he attacks it with a vengeance. Since television was introduced in the 1950s people have been gradually desensitized to violence, and conditioned to choose violence as an acceptable or even admirable method of solving problems. In television and movies, whenever an injustice needs to be righted, or a character becomes bothersome the solution is to blow them away. It's quick, provides instant gratification, and makes the purveyor of the act a hero. Who wants to suffer through a problem for months and work through it rationally, spiritually, or through communication? Yes, I was skeptical. We've all watched those movies and played video games with no conscious effect on our minds, but the statistics presented by Grossman weighed heavily in favor of his position. The operative word here is "conscious." As an expert in Psy-Ops (psychological) warfare, Grossman is well aware of the subliminal influence of the media. When it is pointed out it becomes painfully obvious that we have been effected.

In the realm of video games, Grossman likens violent games to modern combat infantry simulators. In addition to desensitization, games reward mass killing as well as providing tactical training. A proper sight picture and a head shot will result in the most graphic animated response. The repetitiveness of playing a game every night makes the response automatic under the right conditions. Grossman believes that we are literally training our children to become highly efficient mass killers. As a firearm instructor familiar with FATS, Simmunition, Laser Village, and other virtual law enforcement training tools, I have to agree with him..."<

Impact of Gossman's Lecture on Media and Video Game Violence

More -> On Combat, Video Game Violence

Well let me tell you smth.

If you apply the same stimulus to multiple different systems, and some systems produce a non-harmful response... while others produce a very damaging response, then the problem doesn't lie with the stimulus, but with the system that are deficitary.

So you can't hold the stimulus responsible. Look at the cultures (the systems) and see what the problem is.

That is nonsense. All people do not react the same way to the same stimulus. That reality in no way shape or form exonerates a particular stimulus for having an impact on some individuals and not upon others.

Your statement is ridiculous on its face. So if some people can look at the sun and it triggers a sneezing response while others do not have the same response then by your statement its not the sun that made them sneeze. its just stupid and nonsensical.

The fact is that the culture indeed plays a role. And that culture may help determine the role the stimulus plays in the response.

It could potentially cause people with mental issues to act out.

I am pretty sure that when GTA4 came out someone in Calgary who was high on something went on a car jacking spree, and rob a store or two, that he probably was playing GTA 4 quite a bit before hand.

Back
Top Bottom