• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do video games cause real world violence?

Do you video games cause real world violence?

• Total voters
Every study on the subject has showed no link, correlation or causation, between playing video games and actual violence. Just like with books, movies, TV shows, campfire stories, limericks, legends, or paintings. We depict violence because it exists around us. We do not enact it because we depict it.

Also because it makes for some good drama and entertainment.

If behavior isn't shaped by video images, why do companies spend millions each year or TV advertisements?

Advertising is capable of small influences, not big ones. It'll make you hungry for pizza, not make you hungry for gasoline. Unless a person is already inclined to be violent, no depiction of violence is going to spur them on. Just like it won't convince them to suddenly become an architect.

This is a public poll.

I think this is still pretty open to debate. I think video games, films etc can make violence more common place to us. Maybe make it appear to some more acceptable because of this so they will then be more inclined to follow a violent impulse?

I think this is still pretty open to debate. I think video games, films etc can make violence more common place to us. Maybe make it appear to some more acceptable because of this so they will then be more inclined to follow a violent impulse?

I think violent media can negatively effect people who already have mental issues. That doesn't justify censorship in my opinion. For me, it underlines our need to improve our mental health system. I grew up playing first person shooters since I was a little kid. Yet, I've never had the urge to kill anyone in real life.

Video games and movies might give ideas for specific acts, but the potential for violence was already there.

Of course, the world was peaceful and virtually non-aggressive prior to video games. Oh, wait...

I think violent media can negatively effect people who already have mental issues.

That's more or less what I meant. I could see where people who are inclined towards violent behavior anyway (which to me means issued) could be encouraged to follow that impulse.

They also though seem to promote some pretty awful gender roles I would say.

That's more or less what I meant. I could see where people who are inclined towards violent behavior anyway (which to me means issued) could be encouraged to follow that impulse.

They also though seem to promote some pretty awful gender roles I would say.

It really depends on the game. For instance, Battlefield 4 is a big title, and one of the first to depict woman soldiers. Grand Theft Auto is of course Americas obsession with sex and violence on steroids in my opinion.

It really depends on the game. For instance, Battlefield 4 is a big title, and one of the first to depict woman soldiers. Grand Theft Auto is of course Americas obsession with sex and violence on steroids in my opinion.

That is a sound point. I am sure it varies greatly from game to game. I never really had an interest in them. I did raise a teenage son however, so....I've seen them. Seems like a lot of super commando, grotesquely buff hard ass dudes and women with awkwardly large breasts. I don't think they really do any harm though and I know how you boys love them.

That is a sound point. I am sure it varies greatly from game to game. I never really had an interest in them. I did raise a teenage son however, so....I've seen them. Seems like a lot of super commando, grotesquely buff hard ass dudes and women with awkwardly large breasts. I don't think they really do any harm though and I know how you boys love them.

Sounds like he plays different games then me. :lol: I'm primarily into military shooters. I grew up killing Nazi's, Russians, and terrorists. :lamo

Advertising is capable of small influences, not big ones. It'll make you hungry for pizza, not make you hungry for gasoline. Unless a person is already inclined to be violent, no depiction of violence is going to spur them on. Just like it won't convince them to suddenly become an architect.

I agree here but the post I responded to was much too dismissive: "Every study on the subject has showed no link, correlation or causation"

This is a public poll.

no of course not

same goes for all of it: video games, music, videos, books, movies etc.

none of them cause violence themselves

can they influence already mentally broken people? sure but none of them are the root cause.

This is a public poll.

Nope.If they did then everybody who ever played grand theft auto, Medal of Honey,Call of Duty or any other similar video would be out committing crimes.

I agree here but the post I responded to was much too dismissive: "Every study on the subject has showed no link, correlation or causation"

Video games are not advertisements for violence. There is no connection. Just like Moby Dick isn't an advertisement for whaling.

This is a public poll.

Anything can 'cause' violence. Some guy might get up late, spill coffee on his pants, get mad, drive to work mad, get in a wreck, act an ass, and get in a fight, somebody pulls a weapon and somebody dies... and it all started with just a bad morning, and might not have happened otherwise.

Violent video games can be entertainment for some, a safe outlet for others, or an exacerbating factor for those who are already "borderline personalities" I don't doubt. The same could be said of violent movies and violent music.

But I don't think they are usually the PRIMARY causal agent... When I was a kid we watched war movies, cowboys and Indians, martial arts movies... then we went outside and played out those kinds of things with our friends in make-believe... but I don't think they actually made us significantly more aggressive or violence prone in and of themselves, and I'd say the same about violent video games and MOST young people.

But there are always exceptions. Someone who ALREADY has "issues" might find violent video games to be either a safe OUTLET, or an exacerbating factor, depending on circumstances.

Sometimes when I'm fed up with the human race an hour or two of "Destroy all Humans!" is just the thing to take the edge off my anger and frustration in a harmless way.

OTOH someone who already has a broken conscience and damaged "governor" might instead be inspired... but then again such a person might have gained inspiration to violence from any number of sources.

Video games and movies might give ideas for specific acts, but the potential for violence was already there.

Of course, the world was peaceful and virtually non-aggressive prior to video games. Oh, wait...

Exactly. Violence is inherent in the human condition, and existed before we even had writing, let alone video games.

Anything can 'cause' violence. Some guy might get up late, spill coffee on his pants, get mad, drive to work mad, get in a wreck, act an ass, and get in a fight, somebody pulls a weapon and somebody dies... and it all started with just a bad morning, and might not have happened otherwise.

Violent video games can be entertainment for some, a safe outlet for others, or an exacerbating factor for those who are already "borderline personalities" I don't doubt. The same could be said of violent movies and violent music.

But I don't think they are usually the PRIMARY causal agent... When I was a kid we watched war movies, cowboys and Indians, martial arts movies... then we went outside and played out those kinds of things with our friends in make-believe... but I don't think they actually made us significantly more aggressive or violence prone in and of themselves, and I'd say the same about violent video games and MOST young people.

But there are always exceptions. Someone who ALREADY has "issues" might find violent video games to be either a safe OUTLET, or an exacerbating factor, depending on circumstances.

Sometimes when I'm fed up with the human race an hour or two of "Destroy all Humans!" is just the thing to take the edge off my anger and frustration in a harmless way.

OTOH someone who already has a broken conscience and damaged "governor" might instead be inspired... but then again such a person might have gained inspiration to violence from any number of sources.

Destroy All Humans was awesome and witty! :peace

Absolutely. Video games brainwash people into acting them out in real life

That's why my asshole neighbor spent last night punching the trees in my backyard and building a cabin

Video games are not advertisements for violence. There is no connection. Just like Moby Dick isn't an advertisement for whaling.

They are more like training simulators. There are connections. Some military training happens in simulators that function like video games. The simulator isn't the cause but it trains, objectively, reaction and desensitization.

They are more like training simulators. There are connections. Some military training happens in simulators that function like video games. The simulator isn't the cause but it trains, objectively, reaction and desensitization.

Still, there has to be SOME kind of gap in your upbringing, or in your brain where your humanity is supposed to be, for someone to think that going out into the street and PERFORMING "Grand Theft Auto" on real people is a good idea.

Still, there has to be SOME kind of gap in your upbringing, or in your brain where your humanity is supposed to be, for someone to think that going out into the street and PERFORMING "Grand Theft Auto" on real people is a good idea.

I agree and I voted no. I was arguing against the notion that there is "no link or correlation".

Shooting in real life, and shooting in games is a lot different. :lamo
You do have somewhat of a point though. Military shooters do train people in basic tactics.

Last edited:
It's funny. There is a new game coming on the market. "Beyond - Two Souls". It features violence and sexual content.
In the US they have to censor some of the sexual content to be able to release the game. in Europe on the other hand, they have to censor some of the violence to be able to release the game.

I answered "I don't know". And this game poses many interesting questions in the same regard. Why censor sexual content? Does that lead to abormal sexual behaviour? Does it hurt anyone? Why censor violent content? Does that lead to violent behaviour? Does it hurt anyone?

It is interesting for me to think about violence though. Do violence in games prevent violent behaviour? Do people who play violent video games "get rid of" some desire for violence through playing violent games?

Another question I always ask myself. Why do we like violence? Why are all our movies, all our games violent? What is the purpose of that? What would movies be about if they would not be violent? What would games be about if they were not violent?

I simply cannot understand why we have such an affinity for violence in our media. We also send only violent and sad things in the news, in the newspapers etc. To me it seems that either we are fed violence because that is what we love and want, or we are fed violence for some other reason.

One can only wonder...

It's funny. There is a new game coming on the market. "Beyond - Two Souls". It features violence and sexual content.
In the US they have to censor some of the sexual content to be able to release the game. in Europe on the other hand, they have to censor some of the violence to be able to release the game.

I answered "I don't know". And this game poses many interesting questions in the same regard. Why censor sexual content? Does that lead to abormal sexual behaviour? Does it hurt anyone? Why censor violent content? Does that lead to violent behaviour? Does it hurt anyone?

It is interesting for me to think about violence though. Do violence in games prevent violent behaviour? Do people who play violent video games "get rid of" some desire for violence through playing violent games?

Another question I always ask myself. Why do we like violence? Why are all our movies, all our games violent? What is the purpose of that? What would movies be about if they would not be violent? What would games be about if they were not violent?

I simply cannot understand why we have such an affinity for violence in our media. We also send only violent and sad things in the news, in the newspapers etc. To me it seems that either we are fed violence because that is what we love and want, or we are fed violence for some other reason.

One can only wonder...

Shooting Nazi's definitely calms me down! :cool:

Now I don't think that video games cause real world violence, but I do think it is possible that video games (and really any media) may influence those who are basically prone to or going to be violent in a certain way that they may not have thought of themselves. However, that wouldn't be the video game causing the situation nor should that change anything about video games.

Back
Top Bottom