• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do Theists Fear Atheists?

Atheism is not a religion. The clue is in the etymology of the word atheism.

Oh don't act shocked, you're here proselytising your whatever day after day.
One thing I noticed is that atheists do not freak out when someone posts an anti-atheist cartoon, but Muslims freak out when someone posts a cartoon with Mohammed. Gosh, I wonder why?

Roughly speaking there's only about 12.5% of the entire population of the Earth that defines themselves as "Atheist".
In the USofA that percentage is much smaller at about 3%.

Granted, with the internet and the ease of spreading thoughts and ideas around the globe, that number is rising, but it's a slow rise as religion is very tightly woven into cultures, communities, and families in so many places.

The thing that's apparent is some theists go out of their way to lie about Atheists and/or Atheism. The question is why? Why lie?
Is it fear?
Do atheists threaten theists in some way?
Is it because atheists cause theists to truly question their own beliefs?
Is it because atheists rely on facts and not faith?

Do theists fear atheists?
Or, if it's not fear, what is the root cause for all the lies?

So first I am going to hit on this lie BS, because it's rarely a lie when it comes to theists. Not saying a theists can't be wrong in what they believe, but they are not lying. A lie is a statement that is intended to portray a falsehood, when the one making the statement knows and believes the truth. That belief is. If I believe that you are 26, and keep saying it, regardless of how many times you tell me your true age, I am wrong but I am not lying. That's a rather basic example, but it still shows that a false statement isn't automatically a lie.

My second issue is that for some reason, when threads like this come up, they rarely ever mean any theists other than Christians, Muslims, and Jews, and usually in that order. I can't think of a single thread that had issues with Wiccans, Druids or any other "pagan" religion. Yet they are theists as well.

Third is the seeming broad brushing that these thread seem to enjoy. As if all theists lie, and all theists try to push their beliefs into law, and other such stereotyping. As a theist, I will fight anyone who tries to incorporate a religious principle into law. The vast majority of theists I have met are like that.

Now with all that said, yes, I have no doubt that there are theists, mostly Christian and Muslim, who do fear and/or hate atheists. I don't doubt that the other religions have such among their ranks as well, but I've not encountered them, so I am just playing odds there. Then again, there are atheists who seem to fear and/or hate theists. I have encountered evangelical atheists who literally seek to "convert" others to atheism. One of the most funny and sad things I have seen is at a pagan pride day where a pagan (Wiccan I think, but I never found out for sure) was being beset by both a Christian (Baptist, IIRC) and an atheist, both hellbent (pardon the expression) on telling the pagan he was wrong and that he should follow their way.

I have encountered atheist "lies" (with the same caveat of what a lie actually is) such as theists are fascists, or only care about those in their religion. Atheists reject science unless it suits them. Atheists are not smart enough to give up their beliefs.

Basically I find a thread like this hypocritical, because there are atheists who are as bad as the bad theists. These threads basically say "theists do this", instead of saying "there are theists who do this". The later at least says that the whole groups is not being accused of whatever.

Roughly speaking there's only about 12.5% of the entire population of the Earth that defines themselves as "Atheist".

Granted, with the internet and the ease of spreading thoughts and ideas around the globe, that number is rising, but it's a slow rise as religion is very tightly woven into cultures, communities, and families in so many places.

The thing that's apparent is some theists go out of their way to lie about Atheists and/or Atheism. The question is why? Why lie?
Is it fear?

no we dont fear any atheists.

Well, I have read the bibel and the Koran but not the Torah (though the old Testament is in common?) so I am more speaking about Bible fidelity followers than general theists. In a way a general theist is a non-believer to a devoted believer.

I guess though, that an atheist can bunt devoted muslims, christians and jew together and call them theists as a collective name.
Until the theist reveals just who or what his particular god is the only polite term is to call them a theist.

So first I am going to hit on this lie BS, because it's rarely a lie when it comes to theists. Not saying a theists can't be wrong in what they believe, but they are not lying. A lie is a statement that is intended to portray a falsehood, when the one making the statement knows and believes the truth. That belief is. If I believe that you are 26, and keep saying it, regardless of how many times you tell me your true age, I am wrong but I am not lying. That's a rather basic example, but it still shows that a false statement isn't automatically a lie.

My second issue is that for some reason, when threads like this come up, they rarely ever mean any theists other than Christians, Muslims, and Jews, and usually in that order. I can't think of a single thread that had issues with Wiccans, Druids or any other "pagan" religion. Yet they are theists as well.

Third is the seeming broad brushing that these thread seem to enjoy. As if all theists lie, and all theists try to push their beliefs into law, and other such stereotyping. As a theist, I will fight anyone who tries to incorporate a religious principle into law. The vast majority of theists I have met are like that.

Now with all that said, yes, I have no doubt that there are theists, mostly Christian and Muslim, who do fear and/or hate atheists. I don't doubt that the other religions have such among their ranks as well, but I've not encountered them, so I am just playing odds there. Then again, there are atheists who seem to fear and/or hate theists. I have encountered evangelical atheists who literally seek to "convert" others to atheism. One of the most funny and sad things I have seen is at a pagan pride day where a pagan (Wiccan I think, but I never found out for sure) was being beset by both a Christian (Baptist, IIRC) and an atheist, both hellbent (pardon the expression) on telling the pagan he was wrong and that he should follow their way.

I have encountered atheist "lies" (with the same caveat of what a lie actually is) such as theists are fascists, or only care about those in their religion. Atheists reject science unless it suits them. Atheists are not smart enough to give up their beliefs.

Basically I find a thread like this hypocritical, because there are atheists who are as bad as the bad theists. These threads basically say "theists do this", instead of saying "there are theists who do this". The later at least says that the whole groups is not being accused of whatever.

You seem to have missed a great deal here.

#1) You apparently missed all the question marks
#2) You apparently missed words like SOME - as in "some theists"
#3) You have more than obviously missed the dozens of threads here where atheists have spend hours trying to correct the mis-information and untruths being told by numerous DP members only to have them repeated ad nauseam in a whole host of new threads.
#4) Do we have any pagans (which are deists not theists most likely) wiccans, or druids here at DP?
#5) Where is it said or suggested that Atheists never make up lies or falsehoods regarding Theists?

Then what's the catalyst for all the lies you've posted over the last few months regarding atheists?
what lies

there is no fear, a state religion is the only asnwer to win!

Of course not. I don't 'fear' atheists...I just don't believe in them.

I believe in agnostics. I understand agnostics. But athiests are just bitter angry hate fueled people that regularly express their hatred in the form of bigotry. Usually they are created by anger at doctrine or in some cases dogma that stands in opposition to what they WANT to be real, or true, or right...especially when it comes to lifestyle choices. Its sad.

Why do atheists keep quoting public figures? Then they complain about people quoting what they consider God's words? How gullible are you?
Why do theists keep quoting verses written centuries ago by someone who wasn't present at the time and, in the end, is just another human with biases and goals to achieve. And nowhere can "God's own words" be found. If he wanted them to be found he could inscribed them into the surface of the moon.

I believe in agnostics. I understand agnostics. But athiests are just bitter angry hate fueled people that regularly express their hatred in the form of bigotry. Usually they are created by anger at doctrine or in some cases dogma that stands in opposition to what they WANT to be real, or true, or right...especially when it comes to lifestyle choices. Its sad.

Okay. I'll play.

Let's start here:

What exactly is it you mean by: "I just don't believe in them."
Is that like: "I don't believe in Big Foot."

I believe you are speaking of militant atheists. They do exist and not only want to stop further intrusion into public discourse, they wish to remove theism, "root and branch" from the public domain. ( I stole that from a theist being considered for the SC in regards to a different subject). I belong the branch of atheists that believe an amount of religious dogma in our pubic domain is acceptable, perhaps even to be encouraged. But. Wait, BUT. It should not go any further than it already has. No prayer in public school. That would qualify as indoctrination, would it not? No application of religious belief requirements to employees of any business. Unless a private facility, not receiving any public funding.
I'm sort of a "You leave me alone and I'll leave you alone" kind of atheist. I'm pretty sure we are the majority of atheists. Maybe not.
But if you are a theist who wants to tell me what kind of prayers my grandchild has to say every day.. what days of the week I can buy beer.. who gets tax benefits of my tax money based upon their religion.. then we have a problem.

W
Okay. I'll play.

Let's start here:

What exactly is it you mean by: "I just don't believe in them."
Is that like: "I don't believe in Big Foot."
Well...no...its not the same because there arent a bunch of bigfoot type people saying "look at me I'm bigfoot".

Is it fear?

Christians should fear progressive Democrat atheists as their greatest threat of all.

Wow, there is so much hate, bitterness and anger in that bigoted misrepresentation. :ROFLMAO:

W

Well...no...its not the same because there arent a bunch of bigfoot type people saying "look at me I'm bigfoot".

Then I'm gonna need some help.
What do you mean?

Also, do you think all atheists walk around saying "look at me, I'm an atheist"?

Last edited:
Why do theists keep quoting verses written centuries ago by someone who wasn't present at the time and, in the end, is just another human with biases and goals to achieve. And nowhere can "God's own words" be found. If he wanted them to be found he could inscribed them into the surface of the moon.
And my guess is, you would've questioned that, too...

I was actually comparing.....nevermind.

There is significant debate on whether atheism is a religion or not.

Atheism is not a religion. A lack of belief in something doesn't make it a religion. I don't believe in unicorns but that doesn't mean I am part of a religion just because I don't believe in unicorns.

no we dont fear any atheists.

Not true at all. The religous do fear atheists and non-believers. Anti-Gay marriage and morality laws in the US were prime examples of this fear from the religious.

Not true at all. The religous do fear atheists and non-believers. Anti-Gay marriage and morality laws in the US were prime examples of this fear from the religious.
we are not fearful, we win

we are not fearful, we win

If that were true you wouldn't need morality laws. You need fear and laws to get your way like the scared folks religious people are. Your fear is obvious, you fear free will.

Back
Top Bottom