• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do Theists Fear Atheists?

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Roughly speaking there's only about 12.5% of the entire population of the Earth that defines themselves as "Atheist".
In the USofA that percentage is much smaller at about 3%.

Granted, with the internet and the ease of spreading thoughts and ideas around the globe, that number is rising, but it's a slow rise as religion is very tightly woven into cultures, communities, and families in so many places.

The thing that's apparent is some theists go out of their way to lie about Atheists and/or Atheism. The question is why? Why lie?
Is it fear?
Do atheists threaten theists in some way?
Is it because atheists cause theists to truly question their own beliefs?
Is it because atheists rely on facts and not faith?

Do theists fear atheists?
Or, if it's not fear, what is the root cause for all the lies?

Roughly speaking there's only about 12.5% of the entire population of the Earth that defines themselves as "Atheist".
In the USofA that percentage is much smaller at about 3%.

Granted, with the internet and the ease of spreading thoughts and ideas around the globe, that number is rising, but it's a slow rise as religion is very tightly woven into cultures, communities, and families in so many places.

The thing that's apparent is some theists go out of their way to lie about Atheists and/or Atheism. The question is why? Why lie?
Is it fear?
Do atheists threaten theists in some way?
Is it because atheists cause theists to truly question their own beliefs?
Is it because atheists rely on facts and not faith?

Do theists fear atheists?
Or, if it's not fear, what is the root cause for all the lies?
Don't forget the insults. Why do they do that?

Is it fear?
I doubt it, certainly not in simple terms. Human thoughts and feelings are much more complex than that. I suspect some theists lie (or unknowingly repeat lies they've bene told) about atheists for the same varied range of different reasons some atheists lie (or unknowingly repeat lies they've bene told) about theists.

It's almost as if we're all pretty much the same. :cool:

I doubt it, certainly not in simple terms. Human thoughts and feelings are much more complex than that. I suspect some theists lie (or unknowingly repeat lies they've bene told) about atheists for the same varied range of different reasons some atheists lie (or unknowingly repeat lies they've bene told) about theists.

Most/many atheists were once theists.
Most/many are part of a theistic family.
Most/many are part of a theistic culture.
Most/many live in a theistic country.

I'd venture to say most atheists know far FAR more about theism, than most theists know about atheism.

Most/many atheists were once theists.
Most/many are part of a theistic family.
Most/many are part of a theistic culture.
Most/many live in a theistic country.

I'd venture to say most atheists know far FAR more about theism, than most theists know about atheism.

How true that is.

Debatable and I'm not sure how that is relevant to my point anyway.

Regardless of what they know or believe, the kind of reasons some theists will lie about atheists will be very similar to the kind of reasons some atheists lie about theists.

Debatable and I'm not sure how that is relevant to my point anyway.

Regardless of what they know or believe, the kind of reasons some theists will lie about atheists will be very similar to the kind of reasons some atheists lie about theists.

Perhaps it might help if you provide some examples of lies atheists tell about theists?

I'll provide some examples that have recently been posted here at DP from theists about atheists.

1) atheists hate god
2) atheists have no morals
3) atheists have no ethics
4) atheism is a religion
5) atheists/atheism are/is responsible for communism/fascism/dictatorships and the deaths of hundreds of millions of people
6) atheists are bitter, angry, uneducated morons
7) atheists are too stupid to "get it" when it comes to religion/god
8) atheists have no reason to live

That's a good start I think. Perhaps a few others will add some things they've seen/heard?

One that I never understood their reverence for espousing:

"Atheists believe in God but reject him because they don't want to be held accountable for their actions (in the afterlife.)"

Perhaps it might help if you provide some examples of lies atheists tell about theists?
Help with what? It doesn't really address why some people post stuff like that or negate the fact that other groups and labels can have similar negative generalisations thrown at them. I stand by my suggestion that the reasons will be very similar regardless of who is saying it or who they're targeting.

I'll provide some examples that have recently been posted here at DP from theists about atheists.

1) atheists hate god
2) atheists have no morals
3) atheists have no ethics
4) atheism is a religion
5) atheists/atheism are/is responsible for communism/fascism/dictatorships and the deaths of hundreds of millions of people
6) atheists are bitter, angry, uneducated morons
7) atheists are too stupid to "get it" when it comes to religion/god
8) atheists have no reason to live

That's a good start I think. Perhaps a few others will add some things they've seen/heard?
I wonder if you're able to quote any of those. 🤥 You have a habit of twisting words.

Help with what? It doesn't really address why some people post stuff like that or negate the fact that other groups and labels can have similar negative generalisations thrown at them. I stand by my suggestion that the reasons will be very similar regardless of who is saying it or who they're targeting.

Okay. You're sticking with "humans are humans". That's fine.
I created a thread a while back stating "atheists are pretty much exactly like theists".
We do the same things for mostly the same reasons minus that one "god" exception.

I was just hoping to drill down a bit more specifically.

🍻

Mark Twain said, "Faith is believing what you know ain't so".

Logic, reason, and fact form cracks into which reality might seep, and theists are far too comfortable in their cocoons of blissful self-delusion to let that happen without a fight.

Questioning one's own faith can have at least two outcomes.

It can serve as a way to strengthen your faith, or it can weaken your faith.
A lot depends on how hard the questions are.

Questioning one's own faith can have at least two outcomes.

It can serve as a way to strengthen your faith, or it can weaken your faith.
A lot depends on how hard the questions are.
Like with atheism, you mean?

Mark Twain said, "Faith is believing what you know ain't so".

Logic, reason, and fact form cracks into which reality might seep, and theists are far too comfortable in their cocoons of blissful self-delusion to let that happen without a fight.
Why do atheists keep quoting public figures? Then they complain about people quoting what they consider God's words? How gullible are you?

Religion is all about belongings "we and them" and identity. The superiority of me and my fellow "comrades" over all others (strangers) It is easily defined in all cases except in the "atheist" context , Atheists are within all these groups regardless beliefs (Islam, Judaism, Christianity a s o) So yes they are highly disliked by all religious groups. The bibel, the Koran and the Torah all refers to atheists as greater threats than people from other religions.

Last edited:

I am curious as in what way atheists tell or repeat lies about theists. As the two positions are not based on the same needs or beliefs there is not a good reason to assume a similar pattern of thought resulting in similar actions. I can think of several ways in which theists lie to support their view. But not so much of a need to on the atheist side.

I am curious as in what way atheists tell or repeat lies about theists. As the two positions are not based on the same needs or beliefs there is not a good reason to assume a similar pattern of thought resulting in similar actions. I can think of several ways in which theists lie to support their view. But not so much of a need to on the atheist side.
Well, I have read the bibel and the Koran but not the Torah (though the old Testament is in common?) so I am more speaking about Bible fidelity followers than general theists. In a way a general theist is a non-believer to a devoted believer.

I guess though, that an atheist can bunt devoted muslims, christians and jew together and call them theists as a collective name.

Last edited:
Just another lost soul to convert.

Back
Top Bottom