• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do Theists Fear Atheists?

That is a subjective opinion.

Are you religious?

I am a secular Humanist.

Me too!

Are you religious?

I am a secular Humanist.

I knew it...you have lied all this time...you are not a Christian...

All of them are sin. Again, existence does not automatically grant applicability. Just because the sin exists, does not mean that it applies to you. Sin factually exists, both in religious and non-religious contexts.

Yes, the subjective concept of sin does exist. It is a concept subjectively applied by human beings to human behavior.

I wouldn't say subjective or opinion. More a guess. I've run in to enough proclaimed atheist who use sin in a secular manner. The word may have had its origins in religion, but like many other words, its use and context have expanded over time. I even did a look up and found phrases that you should hopefully realize are pretty common, not necessarily in their exactness, but in their general use, where sin has no religious context to it.

It would be a sin to spoil it by revealing the calculus here.
It would be a sin for any self-respecting hedonist to leave Budapest without indulging in a thermal bath.
It would be a sin not to (insert activity here).

Are you religious?
Depends on who you ask. I say I am, but others have told me I'm not because I don't believe as they do. However, that doesn't mean that every time I use a word or phrase that could have a religious context to it, that it does. Look at praise. I can certainly praise something without religion being the context. Even atheist people have used the phrase "I pray that you are right/wrong/etc." These words are part of our overall language, within and without of the context of religion.

I knew it...you have lied all this time...you are not a Christian...
I never once claimed that I was a Christian. I was excited Catholic but I never believed a word of it. I have been as Humanist since 2004.

Given what someone said earlier in the thread, I might be more of a Deist. I'm still working through that trying to decide. Regardless, the optimist in me considers possibilities, even if they have low probabilities. Sadly, those possibilities don't always cover results that I would consider positive. I look at those in terms of "this could happen, and I need to be watching for it to fight it". One key tenant of safety is that you can never really know what will happen to cause an unsafe condition. Even if you cover all previously known safety issues, new ones occur. If you are watchful for problems to occur, instead of watching for specific past problems to occur, then you are more likely to identify it when it happens. That is the same principle I am espousing here.
Looking ahead is fair enough. But looking for ghosts is not. And looking for a secular reason for being anti abortion is just that.

The mind, an emergent property of the biochemical interactions of the brain, is an emergent property of the brain. Concepts are different than the mind though. Do try harder.
The mind is a concept. 🤥

The mind is a concept. 🤥
Is that a true statement? Would you care to back that up? The mind is merely actions of a the brain. It's not a concept, it's a definition.

Is that a true statement? Would you care to back that up? The mind is merely actions of a the brain. It's not a concept, it's a definition.
It's a concept by definition.

It's a concept by definition.
So is brain, and human, rock. Those concepts refer to either something phyiscal, or a physical process. The mind is a physical process.

So is brain, and human, rock. Those concepts refer to either something phyiscal, or a physical process. The mind is a physical process.
How unscientific of you.

I repeat, mind is a concept. Concepts don't exist according to you(?). Your mind doesn't exist.

Hey, I didn't come up with this. 🤭

How unscientific of you.

I repeat, mind is a concept. Concepts don't exist according to you(?). Your mind doesn't exist.

Hey, I didn't come up with this. 🤭
The mind is a phyiscal process. Physical processes exist.. and are given names.

The mind is a phyiscal process. Physical processes exist.. and are given names.
You can't admit when you're wrong, can you? It's okay. I won't make fun of you. I'm not an atheist. I have morals.

Regarding your statement though.....the mind could be the result of a physical process. The mind is not the physical process itself. If you'd like to claim it is, I can assure you, there is no evidence for that in your "holy" science.

You can't admit when you're wrong, can you? It's okay. I won't make fun of you. I'm not an atheist. I have morals.

Regarding your statement though.....the mind could be the result of a physical process. The mind is not the physical process itself. If you'd like to claim it is, I can assure you, there is no evidence for that in your "holy" science.
Funny .. you make a claim, and are unable to support it. Yet, you say I am wrong. But

Funny .. you make a claim, and are unable to support it. Yet, you say I am wrong. But

I don't have the time to read those now, but I should point out that mind and consciousness are not the same thing.

I don't have the time to read those now, but I should point out that mind and consciousness are not the same thing.

On the contrary, one is the result of the other. You can't have conciousness without a mind.

Looking ahead is fair enough. But looking for ghosts is not. And looking for a secular reason for being anti abortion is just that.
Luckily I'm not looking for a reason, being pro-choice. All I am pointing out is that a secular reason can get a certain law passed that a religious reason can't. The probability of finding such an argument is not part of my point. There is also the historical trend of people claiming that given laws will never pass or go away, and then lo and behold, they do. Women will never get the vote, gays will never be allowed to marry, you get the idea. Actually, when abortion first became illegal it was secular arguments that brought it about, not religious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_United_States said:
A number of other factors likely played a role in the rise of anti-abortion laws. Physicians, who were the leading advocates of abortion criminalization laws, appear to have been motivated at least in part by advances in medical knowledge. Science had discovered that conception inaugurated a more or less continuous process of development, which would produce a new human being if uninterrupted. Quickening was found to be neither more nor less crucial in the process of gestation than any other step. Many physicians concluded that if society considered it unjustifiable to terminate pregnancy after the fetus had quickened, and if quickening was a relatively unimportant step in the gestation process, then it was just as wrong to terminate a pregnancy before quickening as after quickening.[15] Ideologically, the Hippocratic Oath and the medical mentality of that age to defend the value of human life as an absolute played a significant role in molding opinions about abortion.[15] Doctors were also influenced by practical reasons to advocate anti-abortion laws. For one, abortion providers tended to be untrained and not members of medical societies. In an age where the leading doctors in the nation were attempting to standardize the medical profession, these "irregulars" were considered a nuisance to public health.[16] The more formalized medical profession disliked the "irregulars" because they were competition, often at a cheaper cost.

From our knowledge point today we know a lot of things better than the doctors and other medical professionals back then. But the reasons for criminalizing abortion in the mid-1800's was secular, not religious.

Luckily I'm not looking for a reason, being pro-choice. All I am pointing out is that a secular reason can get a certain law passed that a religious reason can't. The probability of finding such an argument is not part of my point. There is also the historical trend of people claiming that given laws will never pass or go away, and then lo and behold, they do. Women will never get the vote, gays will never be allowed to marry, you get the idea. Actually, when abortion first became illegal it was secular arguments that brought it about, not religious.

From our knowledge point today we know a lot of things better than the doctors and other medical professionals back then. But the reasons for criminalizing abortion in the mid-1800's was secular, not religious.
If you are basing your reasoning on there being a secular reason for being anti abortion then , yes, it is your responsibility to demonstrate there is such a thing rather than just make the claim that there must be one.

A number of other factors likely played a role in the rise of anti-abortion laws. Physicians, who were the leading advocates of abortion criminalization laws, appear to have been motivated at least in part by advances in medical knowledge. Science had discovered that conception inaugurated a more or less continuous process of development, which would produce a new human being if uninterrupted. Quickening was found to be neither more nor less crucial in the process of gestation than any other step. Many physicians concluded that if society considered it unjustifiable to terminate pregnancy after the fetus had quickened, and if quickening was a relatively unimportant step in the gestation process, then it was just as wrong to terminate a pregnancy before quickening as after quickening.[15] Ideologically, the Hippocratic Oath and the medical mentality of that age to defend the value of human life as an absolute played a significant role in molding opinions about abortion.[15] Doctors were also influenced by practical reasons to advocate anti-abortion laws. For one, abortion providers tended to be untrained and not members of medical societies. In an age where the leading doctors in the nation were attempting to standardize the medical profession, these "irregulars" were considered a nuisance to public health.[16] The more formalized medical profession disliked the "irregulars" because they were competition, often at a cheaper cost.
The part underlined is the bit you should have taken notice of. Science only gave some facts. But there is no secular reasoning underlying the ideology that life itself is has value beyond what is held to be a personal belief rather than it being an absolute. A rather hypocritical view considering that a woman's life was considered secondary to that of the child.
The hippocratic oath is an oath created in a time when a woman's life was considered secondary to her purpose of creating a male heir to her husband. A man could always remarry but getting a son was more important. And that mentality continued into the 1800 and even today with many men who are anti abortion.

These are not secular reasoning they are just bad reasoning based on the religious view that men own women as if they were property.
So no, the reasoning was not secular. it was merely bad reasoning based on religious ideology that a womans only purpose was to bring her man a son.

And yes laws can change. And if abortion is made illegal then that only demonstrates what a shit hole america really is.

That doesn't directly answer the questions I asked you which is information I need to answer the question you asked me.

I'll ask again: Do you believe a god, or gods exist?
Do you know what secular means?

Secular Humanist beliefs in the area of biology are closely tied to both their atheistic theology and their naturalist philosophy. If there is no supernatural, then life, including human life, must be the result of a purely natural phenomenon.

and.

Secular Humanism, then, can be defined as a religious worldview based on atheism, naturalism, evolution, and ethical relativism.

Well, no. The problem is that secular humanism is a philosphy, and not a religion. Why it might go to specific ethical considerations, there is no dogma, there are no scriptures, there are no rituals or worshipping. Thus, it's not a religion.

Well, no. The problem is that secular humanism is a philosophy and not a religion. Why it might go to specific ethical considerations, there is no dogma, there are no scriptures, there are no rituals or worshipping. Thus, it's not a religion.
Correct. Humanism is personal philology and it is the opposite of a religious belief that is based on benefits and faith in a god/s.
I only worship the coffeemaker at 6:00am and maybe my car to get me where I need to go, but don't tell my cat because he thinks that I worship him.

but don't tell my cat because he thinks that I worship him.
Cats. We treated them like gods in ancient Egypt, and they haven't let us forget ever since.

Do you know how to answer a simple yes or no question?

One word is all it takes.

I guess for you it's easier to not directly answer with one word, but rather indirectly answer with multiple words plus a hyperlink (and a dash of snark)?

Back
Top Bottom