• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do the polticial signs get people to vote for a candidate?

Do political signs make s difference?

• Yes, absolutely!

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No, they are a waste of time and money

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • A little due to name recognigion but not a lot.

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

EnigmaO01

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Every election you see the yards signs everywhere. Do they really get people to vote for a candidate?

I personally think they are way overrated.

Last edited:
I voted yes - though it doesn't quite fit.

The purpose of the signs, to me, is to advise me of who are my options - I live in a small town and most people who run for various positions don't use websites or massive campaign efforts - they depend a lot on word-of-mouth, which doesn't ever come my way (I don't *know* anyone who lives nearby) so searching *for* them online by their name is the only way to find out anything about them.

I would say for very low government positions they are helpful (positions many people don't look up like small county positions). For big things like congress and presidency I would say they are more of a statement of who one supports.

They're helpful, but they're not aimed at the type of people that go to this board.

They're aimed at those who only care enough to go vote and mildly look at candidates during election time and not much else. At that point name recognition can have a positive effect on someone as the more they see or hear the name the more they may become familiar with it and just have a naturally positive outlook on it, leading to possibly giving preference in the ballot box. Its not really aimed at the type you find on political boards.

Every election you see the yards signs everywhere. Do they really get people to vote for a candidate?

I do not know. Maybe for the politically illiterate those signs might work. For everybody who regularly visits a political forum those signs are useless.

The only thing I think those signs are good for, is planting a persons name into someone's head. Name recognition (unfortunately) is a big reason people will cast their vote a particular way.

Yep, TGND has it right. Essentially the thing to remember about lawn signs is that, much like Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl wasn't FOR critics, political signs aren't FOR politically inclined people.

Last edited:
As stated above, I think they primarily help the lazy/uninformed on the bigger elections. I also agree that they help some of the smaller town local candidates quite a bit though.

Here's one thing I just don't understand about political signs though. Why on earth would a business owner stick a political sign on their premises? I get the fact that they are backing a certain person based on how nice they will be to business owners. But the part that boggles my mind is the fact that a business owner is essentially pissing off half of their prospective clients by doing so. Good way to lose some business if you ask me. I would never stick a political sign on the lawn of my business.

Back
Top Bottom