• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do recent global developments change your view on defense spending?

?

• Total voters
It seems that this conflict is moving the needle in Canada in the right direction, the right direction in my opinion. Canada has long resisted increased military spending but the mood is shifting. It is long past time that we invested as we should. I never would want to see military spending as large a share of the budget as it is in the States but it needs to be increased.

The decrease in comparative military power in why things like this can happen. We aren't what we were in the 80's.

No, fund the military so that there is global peace

Up is down
left is right

war is peace in Mike Prime time.

Yeahhhhhhhh.....HARD PASS Mike......

As as been pointed out by others, in nothing else Putin is demonstrating that having a nuclear deterrent matters.

It's not a matter of spending, but military priorities. There was no reason to establish "defensive" weapon platforms so close to Russia. We were warned for years not to do it, and then we did it anyway. Russia is hardly the good guy but NATO has created a classic security dilemma with its hawkish foreign policy, all because the western billionaires want to isolate Russia in order to perpetuate a one-economy. It needs to stop.
Its not NATO that started the war Comrade. It's not NATO causing a humanitarian disaster. Correct Russia is not the good guy, at least you got that far.

We spend too much, and what is happening now doesn't change that fact. Why should the US carry the financial burden of the entire rest of the world on their shoulders?
We shouldn’t. What we should have is a military capability that far exceeds that of the world’s #2 military capability.

Never really had a problem with defense spending.

If we (as the US) want to sit in the bird dog seat, we have to keep our military spending high in order to do so.

I like my cushy life as an American.

Somebody has to protect nations like Canada. ;)

You never know when a "Rogue Nation" like Iraq will load up their pontoon boats and head on over to Newfoundland for a D-Day type invasion.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

As as been pointed out by others, in nothing else Putin is demonstrating that having a nuclear deterrent matters.

Thats why I support Iran in getting its nuclear weapons.

FINALLY they could live free from US and Israel aggression.

I'd support it!! Rah rah sis boom bah...gooooOOOOOO IRAN!!!! *swinging pom poms*📣📣📣

Thats why I support Iran in getting its nuclear weapons.

FINALLY they could live free from US and Israel aggression.

I'd support it!! Rah rah sis boom bah...gooooOOOOOO IRAN!!!! *swinging pom poms*📣📣📣
Unfortunately, I get the sense that our last two Democratic Presidents support Iran getting them, too.

If we (as the US) want to sit in the bird dog seat, we have to keep our military spending high in order to do so.

Correct me if I am misunderstanding....it appears that you are saying that high military spending is responsible for you having a "cushy life" as an American?

Is that how Americans are able to consistently sit in front of some really lame ass show on tv, looking your way here Masked Singer, and throw Big Macs and bon bons down their fat faces as the world burns?

Curious in your take on this. Please expound. Do you think that dominating and exploiting other parts of the world militarily in order for you to have a "cushy life"...do you feel thats ethical and principled? Do you feel thats what Jesus would do? Yes or no? Would Jesus murder and subjugate others in order to have a "cushy life"?

Turn to your bible Bird.

Never really had a problem with defense spending.

I used to agree with this position totally. Based on what is now happening I half agree. If we will not help the Ukrainians and leave them to be slaughtered, while aligning with Iran to bolster their terror campaign. Then we are no longer a superpower which will defend democracies.

Under that scenario we still need the best trained and technologically superior military but one not as large as we have today. I do not need bases in so many countries. Less aircraft carriers to project strength. Leave that to the Russians and Chinese as we are doing now.

Your Guide to Fair Targets in the Ukrainian Conflict

Fair targets:
1646574673712.jpeg

Not a fair target:
1646574725463.jpeg

Then we are no longer a superpower which will defend democracies.

:LOL::ROFLMAO:😅😆😁

Good lord, I believe that ship sailed a long time ago bud.

Do you actually see the United States as some benevolent and altruistic force for all that is good and right? Holy even?

FFS. Not the job of the USA to "defend democracies" to begin with, quite clearly the US military is not used for "defense" and hasn't been in decades. But the US would just as soon see a "democracy" toppled if that suits its purpose. Or support brutal dictators if the ends "justify" it. Yeah, the world sure AF isnt buying it, I have no idea how any people in the US are still buying it hahahahaha. ,BAA baaaa....BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

The idea of rushing headlong into a potentially cataclysmic war is very foolish imo. In short. Especially over some minor as of this point regional skirmish that does not remotely threaten the US or any NATO signatory.

**EDIT: Not trivializing your peoples battle for their sovereignty Ukraine. I respect your suffering and effort, and I wish you well. I will continue to support non direct aid to you. from my country, including weapons if requested, and will join the world in ostracizing Putin. But I do not wish to physically take part in this, your struggle for your self determination.

750 bases around the world. Really?

Trillion dollar a year military?

we see what russia has now.

China is spending 230 billion of the dollars we give them on their military. In no way, even then, it is close to us in technology.

Let's get real. We could easily cut our military budget in half and still have by far the most powerful military in the world.

750 bases around the world. Really?

Trillion dollar a year military?

we see what russia has now.

China is spending 230 billion of the dollars we give them on their military. In no way, even then, it is close to us in technology.

Let's get real. We could easily cut our military budget in half and still have by far the most powerful military in the world.

This is very realistic, but other NATO nations would have to really pony up, and the US would lose its title as Overall World Bully.

But I'm fine with that. I support it. (y)

Correct me if I am misunderstanding....it appears that you are saying that high military spending is responsible for you having a "cushy life" as an American?

Is that how Americans are able to consistently sit in front of some really lame ass show on tv, looking your way here Masked Singer, and throw Big Macs and bon bons down their fat faces as the world burns?

Curious in your take on this. Please expound. Do you think that dominating and exploiting other parts of the world militarily in order for you to have a "cushy life"...do you feel thats ethical and principled? Do you feel thats what Jesus would do? Yes or no? Would Jesus murder and subjugate others in order to have a "cushy life"?

Turn to your bible Bird.
High military spending means that we are “safe”.

Has our government made poor choices? Yes. Have we been misled as to why we have engaged in wars (as citizens), yes.

I still prefer to have an overwhelming military at the command of POTUS and military leaders because the best offense is a good defense.

F*ck with the United States and hell fire will rain down upon you. 🤷‍♀️

Do you not agree with that?

I don’t need to worry about hiding my son in a train tunnel or evacuating my home because some other country dares to attempt to invade the US. We are first protected by oceans and second have dominance of the seas and air.

The only “threat” to us is nuclear war (or terrorists) and nuclear war would mean MAD.

And I see our military positioned around the globe as protecting our economic interests. That also greatly lends to my personal comfort.

I used to agree with this position totally. Based on what is now happening I half agree. If we will not help the Ukrainians and leave them to be slaughtered, while aligning with Iran to bolster their terror campaign. Then we are no longer a superpower which will defend democracies.

Under that scenario we still need the best trained and technologically superior military but one not as large as we have today. I do not need bases in so many countries. Less aircraft carriers to project strength. Leave that to the Russians and Chinese as we are doing now.
Ukraine is not a NATO member. We cannot take to the fight without escalating it.

But we can supply them. We can provide intelligence.

High military spending means that we are “safe”.

Has our government made poor choices? Yes. Have we been misled as to why we have engaged in wars (as citizens), yes.

I still prefer to have an overwhelming military at the command of POTUS and military leaders because the best offense is a good defense.

F*ck with the United States and hell fire will rain down upon you. 🤷‍♀️

Do you not agree with that?

I don’t need to worry about hiding my son in a train tunnel or evacuating my home because some other country dares to attempt to invade the US. We are first protected by oceans and second have dominance of the seas and air.

The only “threat” to us is nuclear war (or terrorists) and nuclear war would mean MAD.

And I see our military positioned around the globe as protecting our economic interests. That also greatly lends to my personal comfort.

And I see our military positioned around the globe as protecting our economic interests.

now a truer statement has never been made.

Our leaders tell us we are defending/spreading democracy. When what we are really doing is defending corporate profits and spreading American capitalism.

In America it is all about the money. Protecting/increasing the wealth of the wealthy.

Is that what you want to send our young men and women to fight and die for?

And I see our military positioned around the globe as protecting our economic interests.

now a truer statement has never been made.

Our leaders tell us we are defending/spreading democracy. When what we are really doing is defending corporate profits and spreading American capitalism.

In America it is all about the money. Protecting/increasing the wealth of the wealthy.

Is that what you want to send our young men and women to fight and die for?
Economic interests are vital to the strength of our nation.

Economic interests are vital to the strength of our nation.

Our economic interest or the profits for the corporations.

My thoughts are, take the middle east for instance, they are going to sell us that oil whether it's owned by Exxon or BP or Saudi Arabia or kuiat or Iraq. How much lives and treasure is it worth to protect the profits of ExxonMobil?

LMAO. I'll bet you're mighty impressed with your healthcare FrEeDuMbZ$™?
Big fan of the healthcare market.

Have been purchasing our family insurance from it since it’s inception.

Allowed me to step out of corporate America as a “full time” employee and do contracting when/if I want to since I no longer needed employer based insurance.

Our economic interest or the profits for the corporations.

My thoughts are, take the middle east for instance, they are going to sell us that oil whether it's owned by Exxon or BP or Saudi Arabia or kuiat or Iraq. How much lives and treasure is it worth to protect the profits of ExxonMobil?
Profits of corporations are directly tied to our economic interests.

We are a capitalist society.

I’m a big fan of capitalism.

Back
Top Bottom