• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do Protestants worldwide also have a special day in the year for visiting graves?

Is that all? I don't think so...all of mankind is sleeping in the grave, awaiting the resurrection on the last day...

"Martha said to him: “I know he will rise in the resurrection on the last day.” John 11:24
Was not Martha wrong on that occasion because, according to the Gospel, Lazarus did not have to wait until the end of the world to rise again, did he?

I have no idea if Jehovah Witnesses visit graves. You never told us.

Catholics worldwide visit graves on the 1st and 2nd day in November - and also on other days, of course. But these are their special days.
German and Swiss Protestants have another special day for that.
"Totensonntag" or "Sunday of the Dead" in Germany
"Ewigkeits-Sonntag" or "Eternity Sunday" in Switzerland.

And what about the Protestants worldwide?

I've never heard of Protestants, of any stripe, doing this.

Was not Martha wrong on that occasion because, according to the Gospel, Lazarus did not have to wait until the end of the world to rise again, did he?

Was that not an exception to the rule? I personally do not like grave yards...to each his own...

Catholics worldwide visit graves on the 1st and 2nd day in November - and also on other days, of course. But these are their special days.
German and Swiss Protestants have another special day for that.
"Totensonntag" or "Sunday of the Dead" in Germany
"Ewigkeits-Sonntag" or "Eternity Sunday" in Switzerland.

And what about the Protestants worldwide?
We do in Sweden, It's this Saturday. and it is called All Saints' Day. It is always on a Saturday but on different dates each year. (We are protestants in Sweden)

We do in Sweden, It's this Saturday. and it is called All Saints' Day. It is always on a Saturday but on different dates each year. (We are protestants in Sweden)

Well, that's indeed interesting that Protestants have an ALL SAINTS' Day! When you have no saints? Or have you?

How is the Swedish name for it?
The German name is "Allerheiligen" - followed by "Allerseelen".

I think they would rather visit death and devils than visiting graves! :)

According to Catholic doctrine, the souls of those who died do not go to Heaven straight after death but must spend time in a state or place of torment, punishment, pain and suffering to pay for even those sins which have been forgiven. Purgatory is where the holy souls who are destined for Heaven must wait until they are ready for the vision of God. Being without this Beatific Vision is itself a torment; wanting to see God and be in His presence but unable to be there. You can use other words and still not capture the awfulness of the suffering in Purgatory. Is there some meaning you attach to the word torment that you think is inappropriate to use for Purgatory, I wonder.

No. And thank you for explaining.

Well, that's indeed interesting that Protestants have an ALL SAINTS' Day! When you have no saints? Or have you?

How is the Swedish name for it?
The German name is "Allerheiligen" - followed by "Allerseelen".
The Swedish name is "alla helgons dag" . We also celebrate Lucia(a saint) on the 13th of November...

We also celebrate Lucia (a saint) on the 13th of November...

I know about it - and like it a lot! 😍 :love:

Here is a film for Saint Lucia! :)

And now Saint Lucia 2015 :)

Why would anyone want to visit a pile of dirt? I find cemeteries to be interesting for the architecture and other cultural elements present, but there are NO PEOPLE there at cemeteries. When I see folks standing around talking to grass and stones, all I can think is how dumb they look. They might as well go out and talk to trees and rocks too.

Catholics are especially superstitious about death and graves. For people who claim to be Christians they are as full of superstitious rituals as voodoo priests and palm readers.

When you are dead you are GONE. The dead do not hear you, nor do they think about you. Wherever they are they are either in total bliss and not concerned about YOU, or they are in eternal torment and can think only about their own agony. Nothing the living can do, say, think, or believe can change which becomes eternal at the moment of death for another. For the living the best thing to do is go on living... hopefully living right.

No problem with remembering the dead, as long as you remember they are gone from this present existence. If you want to talk to the dead, you would need to be dead in all likelihood for that to happen.

The Swedish name is "alla helgons dag" . We also celebrate Lucia(a saint) on the 13th of November...
Sorry I meant 13th of december

As a German one can understand the words. :)
I know, same for us Swedes when visiting Germany. You can thank the Hansa men that had a great influence on the Swedish language ;)

Coming Sunday will be "Toten-Sonntag" = the Sunday for the Dead.

Back
Top Bottom