• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do Protestants worldwide also have a special day in the year for visiting graves?

If you do not know any of those reaons yourself - you will not understand any, even if somebody explained them to you for 100 years!

Why is it you so DESPERATELY want replies to your threads that you'll constantly bump them, yet when you get replies, you won't put in any effort to respond????

People will look up to me when I'm dead. I'm going to be buried up a tree.

Why is it you so DESPERATELY want replies to your threads that you'll constantly bump them, yet when you get replies, you won't put in any effort to respond????
Rumpel comes across as being a bit of a jester.

People will look up to me when I'm dead.

Now this reminds me of a fine old song! :)

Oh Danny Boy the pipes the pipes are calling
From glen to glen and down the mountain side
The summer 's gone and all the roses falling
It's you it's you must go and I must bide.

But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley 's hushed and white with snow
It's I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Danny Boy, oh Danny Boy I'll love you so.

But if you fall as all the flowers are dying
And you are dead as dead you well may be
I'll come and find the place where you are lying
And kneel and say an Ave there for thee.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Boy

Now this reminds me of a fine old song! :)

So there's no plan to actually answer questions pertaining directly to your OP, or the overall concept of the thread's topic in general?

Why don't you seek out the "Off Topic" section of DP? Might be more to your liking. Just a place for random crap.

So there's no plan to actually answer questions pertaining directly to your OP, or the overall concept of the thread's topic in general?

Of course I answer questions. Reasonable questions.
And that naturally excludes YOUR questions. :)

For people in normal grief patterns, its either harmless or of some value. A lot of people tend to want to 'talk' to or commune with dead loved ones periodically either in our minds, or sometimes out loud, and this ritual provides a socially acceptable public place and circumstance. Others will 'talk' to a photograph, or a favorite sweater, or any 'thing' that seems to crystalize their former place or connection in the lives of the bereaved. The virtue of going to a gravesight and leaving those flowers, is that doing it publicly represents showing respect and love in a symbolic and non verbal way to the larger community even if you are not especially eloquent with words.

The virtue of going to a gravesight and leaving those flowers, is that doing it publicly represents showing respect and love in a symbolic and non verbal way to the larger community even if you are not especially eloquent with words.

That was very well said! - Thank you for your good words! :) (y)

For people in normal grief patterns, its either harmless or of some value. A lot of people tend to want to 'talk' to or commune with dead loved ones periodically either in our minds, or sometimes out loud, and this ritual provides a socially acceptable public place and circumstance. Others will 'talk' to a photograph, or a favorite sweater, or any 'thing' that seems to crystalize their former place or connection in the lives of the bereaved. The virtue of going to a gravesight and leaving those flowers, is that doing it publicly represents showing respect and love in a symbolic and non verbal way to the larger community even if you are not especially eloquent with words.
The reasons why some Christians do things are often forgotten over time. Christians are required to believe in the resurrection of the body at the end of the world so a grave is the site of this resurrection. The soul of the departed is therefore considered to be nearby. It is also a belief among Catholics that souls suffer excruciating torment in Purgatory until they are in a state of sanctifying grace and able to enjoy the vision of God having undergone the punishment due to having committed sins before death. Accordingly, it is fitting to visit graves to pray for those who are suffering in Purgatory especially on All Souls Day (2 November) which is when the suffering in Purgatory are remembered and the faithful can pray for them and intercede for them with God.

It is also a belief among Catholics that souls suffer excruciating torment in Purgatory until they are in a state of sanctifying grace and able to enjoy the vision of God having undergone the punishment due to having committed sins before death. Accordingly, it is fitting to visit graves to pray for those who are suffering in Purgatory especially on All Souls Day (2 November) which is when the suffering in Purgatory are remembered and the faithful can pray for them and intercede for them with God.

Paints such a caring, warm, and fuzzy picture of that all-loving "god" up there now doesn't it?

The reasons why some Christians do things are often forgotten over time. Christians are required to believe in the resurrection of the body at the end of the world so a grave is the site of this resurrection. The soul of the departed is therefore considered to be nearby. It is also a belief among Catholics that souls suffer excruciating torment in Purgatory until they are in a state of sanctifying grace and able to enjoy the vision of God having undergone the punishment due to having committed sins before death. Accordingly, it is fitting to visit graves to pray for those who are suffering in Purgatory especially on All Souls Day (2 November) which is when the suffering in Purgatory are remembered and the faithful can pray for them and intercede for them with God.
Yet the Bible supports none of those man-made traditions/doctrines..."the soul that is sinning dies" Ezekiel 18:4...the Scriptures give no examples of God’s faithful servants praying to any dead persons, or of their trying to get such ones to do favors for them...the Bible does indicate that dead “saints” could not do so, for it says that the dead “are conscious of nothing at all"...according to the Bible, the dead are unconscious, in their graves, awaiting the resurrection...Ecclesiastes 9:5,10; John 5:28,29; 11:24...

We call it urn day.

It's also a way to say "I remember."

What torment?

I'm asking what that torment is. Specifically.
According to Catholic doctrine, the souls of those who died do not go to Heaven straight after death but must spend time in a state or place of torment, punishment, pain and suffering to pay for even those sins which have been forgiven. Purgatory is where the holy souls who are destined for Heaven must wait until they are ready for the vision of God. Being without this Beatific Vision is itself a torment; wanting to see God and be in His presence but unable to be there. You can use other words and still not capture the awfulness of the suffering in Purgatory. Is there some meaning you attach to the word torment that you think is inappropriate to use for Purgatory, I wonder.

Back
Top Bottom