• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do Protestants worldwide also have a special day in the year for visiting graves?

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Catholics worldwide visit graves on the 1st and 2nd day in November - and also on other days, of course. But these are their special days.
German and Swiss Protestants have another special day for that.
"Totensonntag" or "Sunday of the Dead" in Germany
"Ewigkeits-Sonntag" or "Eternity Sunday" in Switzerland.

And what about the Protestants worldwide?

Catholics worldwide visit graves on the 1st and 2nd day in November - and also on other days, of course. But these are their special days.
German and Swiss Protestants have another special day for that.
"Totensonntag" or "Sunday of the Dead" in Germany
"Ewigkeits-Sonntag" or "Eternity Sunday" in Switzerland.

And what about the Protestants worldwide?
The Catholics don't do that where I live.

I'm a Protestant, and I sometimes visit graves on holidays and on other special days, such as the anniversary of the day the person passed away. But there's nothing in my faith (that I know of) that specifies any special days.

The Catholics don't do that where I live.

Well, but they should, shouldn't they?
What are they afraid of so that they don't do it?

..... there's nothing in my faith (that I know of) that specifies any special days.

It is not a question of faith.
It is a question of human culture and human tradition. :)

I guess you're right, Rumpel. I must have misunderstood your OP.

Then why do you specify "Protestants" & "catholics" ? :rolleyes:

And the answer to your question in the OP is "No".

I never understood going to visit a grave. The concept is rather sad and morbid.

As I see now, this German "Sunday of the Dead" is even known in the Netherlands and in parts of the USA:

Totensonntag (Sunday of the Dead), also called Ewigkeitssonntag (Eternity Sunday) or Totenfest, is a Northern German and Dutch Protestant religious holiday commemorating the dead. It falls on the last Sunday before the First of the Sundays of Advent (i.e. always on or between Nov. 20 and Nov. 26), and it is the last Sunday of the liturgical year in the German Evangelical Church and the Protestantse Kerk in The Netherlands. Where it is marked, such as in Berlin, it replaces All Souls' Day (Nov. 2).

And:

In the United States, some Protestant churches celebrate this service of remembrance as Totenfest.

More about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totensonntag

10 replies and 64 views so far.

As I see now, this German "Sunday of the Dead" is even known in the Netherlands and in parts of the USA:

No. Vast majority of American's don't know/celebrate Totenfest.

I'm of german heritage and I've never heard the word before.

I might also ask: Do you visit graves at all?

Good grief, why would I want to? My grandfather always said visiting someone's grave is like going to a house, where the person has moved away...empty and foolish...

Good grief, why would I want to?

I thought so!
Visiting graves is an old and worthy human tradition.
Nothing for fanatical evangelical fundamentalists.
In their extremely narrow mindset it is pagan and satanic once again.
Like most human and humane traditions.

I thought so!
Visiting graves is an old and worthy human tradition.
Nothing for fanatical evangelical fundamentalists.
In their extremely narrow mindset it is pagan and satanic once again.
Like most human and humane traditions.
Sure it is...if you're the morbid sort...I ain't doin' it... :rolleyes:

Please explain.

What are some/most of your reasons?

If you do not know any of those reaons yourself - you will not understand any, even if somebody explained them to you for 100 years!

Back
Top Bottom