• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do politicians really represent us?

DeMaxx

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
I have to ask in the wake that the C.A.F.T.A. bill was passed in the house, and now is going to GWB desk to be signed.

A while back the senate passed the the C.A.F.T.A bill. The state where I live was hit very hard by the N.A.F.T.A. bill, and residents in polls were very much against the new central trade agreement. Yet both senator's from my state voted in favor of this trade agreement. I thought that the people that we voted in were suppose to represent the voice of the people.

Now C.A.F.T.A. has passed the house. I'm sure there are lobiest, and other big business groups that have pushed for this bill. I guess money talks and s*** walks. and the goverment is saying that if you middle class or below your S***. Thats ashamed the middle class makes the majority of the U.S.. yest we have no true voice. DeMaxx

thats how politics is... But, If we they always represented the voice of the people, our country wouldn't run right.

Yeah, I heard about CAFTA too, it was close wasn't it? Also it was a long vote and several Republicans that were thinking against it were talked to. That's what I heard on C-SPAN

Its too bad it passed

I find that as the representatives have less power, their personal agenda tends to get less and less in the way. My district is accurately represented by Dennis Kucinich (cleveland, OH), for instance. I really like Sen Voinovich. He's a good guy and a moderate republican. I think he'd be a really good representative. I don't like him as a senator because party affiliation forces him to often forgo his moderate views and vote with the republicans 9 times out of 10. One recent exception was on the Bolton nomination, but for the most part, when it comes to the senate, I'd rather see a democrat I don't like, over a republican I do like any day of the week.

Back
Top Bottom