• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DO men and women deserve equal prize money at the Grand Slam Tennis events

Do Men and Women Players Deserve Equal Prize Money at Grand Slam events

• Total voters

TurtleDude

warrior of the wetlands
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
The US Open pays the same amount to men and women even though the men play best of five sets, while the women only play best of three. The pro equality argument is based on general views that men and women should be treated equally and the feeling that the top women draw as many fans as the top men. The counter argument is that the men's field is far deeper (Serena Williams beat her semi final opponent 6-0, 6-3 while the #1 male seed won an almost four hour slugfest with a lower ranked semi final foe) and the quality of play is far far higher (not just in terms of speed and power but there are less chokes and double faults at for the men)

at the recent Masters event I attended (which is right below a grand slam in terms of money but has a higher quality field since only players in the top 40 are given direct entry) the amount of men attending vs women seemed pretty split. Now I cannot tell how many of the women were attracted to other women in tennis skirts vs guys attracted to male players who were wearing shorts

:2razz:

That looks dangerous.

Given it is a professional sport, the group who brings in the most revenue or sponsorship for the organizers should be the one to get the most money

I have no idea if that is the men or the women

Given it is a professional sport, the group who brings in the most revenue or sponsorship for the organizers should be the one to get the most money

I have no idea if that is the men or the women
Oh, it's men. In a better world, it would be the frilly panties, watching as they run.

I don't care, but it would seem to me that as long as women have to win fewer sets that they should earn less since it took them less work to win.

I think Serena Williams could probably beat a dude tennis player. She is a beast! And I mean that in a good way. :)

I think Serena Williams could probably beat a dude tennis player. She is a beast! And I mean that in a good way. :)

not any man who made the pro men's draw or qualifying draw. a former touring pro I know says Serena is by far the best woman who has ever played in terms of speed, power, service and court coverage but she couldn't beat the 16 year old boy on my son's HS team who was the state champion and projected "Blue Chip" recruit (Division One starter as a freshman). while this might be overoptimistic she wouldn't beat a guy playing first singles on a Division one college team

not any man who made the pro men's draw or qualifying draw. a former touring pro I know says Serena is by far the best woman who has ever played in terms of speed, power, service and court coverage but she couldn't beat the 16 year old boy on my son's HS team who was the state champion and projected "Blue Chip" recruit (Division One starter as a freshman). while this might be overoptimistic she wouldn't beat a guy playing first singles on a Division one college team

Why not?

far faster
far stronger
far bigger serve (mainly spin-the rotation on a man's 120 MPH serve is far more severe than that on Serena's 120 MPH serve)

She has a chance at an average male pro. That's about all, and probably not one in the top 200. It's biology not sexism, and I can be very sexist.

far faster
far stronger
far bigger serve (mainly spin-the rotation on a man's 120 MPH serve is far more severe than that on Serena's 120 MPH serve)

I'll have to take your word for it since I'm not very familiar with tennis, though I did watch her play a bit today. I just thought that because she looks so muscular and strong she might be even bigger than some men, but I guess a male tennis player would be in just as good shape.

I think they gave Serena an extra mil from some Association on top of her winnings for her 5th US Title......17 Titles in ALL. She will go down as one the Elites that ever played the game.

201309081849677943565-p5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom