• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DO men and women deserve equal prize money at the Grand Slam Tennis events

Do Men and Women Players Deserve Equal Prize Money at Grand Slam events

• Total voters
Tennis is a very old sport, so I imagine it's because, forever ago, women were discouraged from playing anything on an equal level as men - with the same effort, stamina, zeal. It's all just leftovers from a bygone era.

I would agree if the women and men both played the 3 matches or 5 sets, but the men have to play 5 and the women only have to play 3. That would be equality, but I think if the women play 2 less sets than the men and make the same money as the men, it's a little unfair to the men tennis players.

I guess really it all depends on how you look at it. Some people would say that because the men are stronger and have more stamina that is fair that the men have to play more sets. I would like for someone to tell me what the "powers that be" of tennis have to say about this discrepancy though.

Tennis is a very old sport, so I imagine it's because, forever ago, women were discouraged from playing anything on an equal level as men - with the same effort, stamina, zeal. It's all just leftovers from a bygone era and I'm surprised the women tolerate it.

In MMA the matches fluctuate depending on whether you're fighting for a championship or not, are new, headlining, etc. Pay? That relies on the individual. I just assumed that tennis and many other sports were the same.

except now the Women get paid the same as the men but play for less time. It's like getting the paid the same as a co-worker but they get to leave at 3pm everyday.

except now the Women get paid the same as the men but play for less time. It's like getting the paid the same as a co-worker but they get to leave at 3pm everyday.

"including a $1 million bonus for producing the best results during the North American summer hard-court circuit leading up to the U.S. Open".....snip~

Heya Higgins. :2wave: Yeah but Serena did get an extra mil.....which I didn't hear about any of the Males getting. Which that's not to say someone for them might not get a bonus. I figure we would find out with the Winners of the Mens Championship tonight.

Course now all the Ladies can tune in and watch the guys in shorts run around and grunt some. :lol:

Just a couple of points I'd make here:

1 - It's not a matter of how many sets or how long matches are with women compared to men, it's a matter of what revenue the women generate for the tournament as opposed to what the men generate. By comparison, if one movie is an hour and 30 minutes and another is three hours, you don't pay a different price to see it - it's entertainment value is not in the length of time, it's the content of the "show". Similarly, if a baseball game goes nine innings in just over two hours and another goes almost five going into extra innings, you don't pay more for the latter - and the nine inning game may have been more entertaining anyway.

2. - In my view, this push to equal purses started at the US Open because of politically correct liberal left in New York bitching and moaning and had nothing actually to do with the quality of the tennis each gender provides.

3. - I don't know about this year's tournament, but in 2012, the average ticket price for the men's final was $546 but the average price for the women's final was $352 - that's a significant difference in gate generated value to the tournament. That says to me that the men's final is subsidizing the women's final prize money. Let's see if the women's final would be attended to the same level if people had to pay the same high prices as they do at the men's final.

No, cuz mens ar smarder,

Just for the record.....I think the Women put on a better show. Moreover I would rather watch women play tennis than guys.

Just for the record.....I think the Women put on a better show. Moreover I would rather watch women play tennis than guys.

for several years the top women would come to cincinnati before the top men and most of us really enjoyed the women's matches

Now that they play together, most of the fans I talk to-men and women-say the women's play is less interesting since its so slow compared to the men's game. I note that Sloan Stevens had four match points on Sharapova and double faulted on three of them. I have never seen a top 20 man double fault three times on match point. Maria Sharapova-the year she got Bounced by Melanie Oudin in one of the US Open's biggest shockers-double faulted more times in that Match than the four men's semifinalists did during the ENTIRE TOURNAMENT.

now there are several reasons for this. One is that the second serve is perhaps the easiest shot for good women to attack. the reason is -a safe but effective second serve requires a great deal of spin to both clear the net safely and cause problems for the returner. Most male players have the upper body strength to generate that spin. Many women cannot so they either run the risk of the returner crushing a weak second serve or double faulting as they try to keep the second serve deep.

That is why a poll I say stated that almost every man on the pro tour would -if given the choice-get to serve on match point rather than return while other than Serena, Venus and Sam Stosur, almost every top woman preferred to return.

for several years the top women would come to cincinnati before the top men and most of us really enjoyed the women's matches

Now that they play together, most of the fans I talk to-men and women-say the women's play is less interesting since its so slow compared to the men's game. I note that Sloan Stevens had four match points on Sharapova and double faulted on three of them. I have never seen a top 20 man double fault three times on match point. Maria Sharapova-the year she got Bounced by Melanie Oudin in one of the US Open's biggest shockers-double faulted more times in that Match than the four men's semifinalists did during the ENTIRE TOURNAMENT.

now there are several reasons for this. One is that the second serve is perhaps the easiest shot for good women to attack. the reason is -a safe but effective second serve requires a great deal of spin to both clear the net safely and cause problems for the returner. Most male players have the upper body strength to generate that spin. Many women cannot so they either run the risk of the returner crushing a weak second serve or double faulting as they try to keep the second serve deep.

That is why a poll I say stated that almost every man on the pro tour would -if given the choice-get to serve on match point rather than return while other than Serena, Venus and Sam Stosur, almost every top woman preferred to return.

I'm telling you, it's got to be the moaning. :rofl

I'm telling you, it's got to be the moaning. :rofl

as the old groaners retire there will be less-there are gag orders being imposed on the younger players

its totally unnecessary too_ i have watched the tennisgasms practice (shriekapova, Azaranter, etc) and tey don't sound like they are being banged by a Kentucky Derby winner when they are practicing.

as the old groaners retire there will be less-there are gag orders being imposed on the younger players

its totally unnecessary too_ i have watched the tennisgasms practice (shriekapova, Azaranter, etc) and tey don't sound like they are being banged by a Kentucky Derby winner when they are practicing.

I'm sure the boys will miss the moaning as much as I will. :roll:

Yeah when we were younger back in the day and ditching school.....we use to go downtown and watch some of the women-folks play down there. Right off the Lakefront to. Place would always be packed. Course the guys just loved the wimmens in skirts, the grunting, and of course sweating.
read.gif

The US Open pays the same amount to men and women even though the men play best of five sets, while the women only play best of three. The pro equality argument is based on general views that men and women should be treated equally and the feeling that the top women draw as many fans as the top men. The counter argument is that the men's field is far deeper (Serena Williams beat her semi final opponent 6-0, 6-3 while the #1 male seed won an almost four hour slugfest with a lower ranked semi final foe) and the quality of play is far far higher (not just in terms of speed and power but there are less chokes and double faults at for the men)

Yes, but only if they compete for it equally. Have men and women play each other.

men watch these games to see female players

women deserve to be paid more:lol:

Not since Anna Kournikova. Very few women tennis players are attractive. Maybe Sharapova on mute, Anna Ivanovic, but few others.

Not since Anna Kournikova. Very few women tennis players are attractive. Maybe Sharapova on mute, Anna Ivanovic, but few others.

ivanovic is the real beauty

ivanovic is the real beauty

I have met her several times and talked to her-she's even prettier in person and a truly nice lady. I wish she could keep her ball toss consistent-she still has one of the best forehands in women's tennis and when her toss is on-one of the best serves

some of the other truly pretty lady players

Caroline Wozniaki

Yaroslave Shvedova

Mandy Minella

Sammy Stosur

Eugenie Bouchard

Laura Robson

Maria Kirlenko

Andrea Petkovic

Julia Goerges

I have met her several times and talked to her-she's even prettier in person and a truly nice lady. I wish she could keep her ball toss consistent-she still has one of the best forehands in women's tennis and when her toss is on-one of the best serves

some of the other truly pretty lady players

Caroline Wozniaki

Yaroslave Shvedova

Mandy Minella

Sammy Stosur

Eugenie Bouchard

Laura Robson

Maria Kirlenko

Andrea Petkovic

Julia Goerges

l already know wozniaki and find her nice but had to google the others

l can say eugeni and julia are really pretty

The US Open pays the same amount to men and women even though the men play best of five sets, while the women only play best of three. The pro equality argument is based on general views that men and women should be treated equally and the feeling that the top women draw as many fans as the top men. The counter argument is that the men's field is far deeper (Serena Williams beat her semi final opponent 6-0, 6-3 while the #1 male seed won an almost four hour slugfest with a lower ranked semi final foe) and the quality of play is far far higher (not just in terms of speed and power but there are less chokes and double faults at for the men)

I would say optimally no. They are entertainers, so they should be paid based on the crowd they can gather, giving the eyes to advertisers who pay for their services. Although unfortunate, women's sports simply don't draw the same crowd as men's sports. This is why female soccer players make a fraction of what male soccer players make. Why would most sports fans want to watch a group of people who are not the best athletes in the world at the sport?

If they however decide the pay must be equal, so should their work output. They should play the same number of sets at a minimum. I find it highly condescending that they tell women tennis players that they don't have to play as many sets because they are weaker and have less endurance.

(And on a side note, tennis is by far my favorite sport and definitely the one I'm best at.)

I would think the female tennis players were selling lots of tickets. They seem to be pretty popular and everyone talks about them. Maybe more people watch them on television instead of going to the actual matches.

]
l already know wozniaki and find her nice but had to google the others

l can say eugeni and julia are really pretty

Maybe they just need to dress better when they play. I dont understand these fake skirts and tank tops. They would look better with shorts

bouchard.jpg

They also need to step their game up, change the play style to something faster, more baseline. Thats whats popular.

]

Maybe they just need to dress better when they play. I dont understand these fake skirts and tank tops. They would look better with shorts

View attachment 67153417

They also need to step their game up, change the play style to something faster, more baseline. Thats whats popular.

they should wear the things which make them feel comfortable l think

]

View attachment 67153417

It looks like she has a penis! :shock:

they should wear the things which make them feel comfortable l think

Yep, and I dont imagine women feel comfortable in a fake skirt where you can see their bloomers every time they move. I never see women running in skirts. They wear shorts. But when they play tennis they were skirts for some reason.

I'd have to see the rankings of matches between the top of both. If Serena was playing Vicki Azarenka and attracting as many eyes as a Nadal/Djokovic final, then sure - pay them the same.

Also, anyone who thinks that Serena could hang with even an average male player is worth laughing at. She played against Karsteen Braach (who wasn't even ranked in the men's top 200 at the time) and lost 6-1. Venus lost 6-2. This is on top of hybrid rules and him boasting (not sure if it's legit or not) that he didn't give it 100%.

I'd have to see the rankings of matches between the top of both. If Serena was playing Vicki Azarenka and attracting as many eyes as a Nadal/Djokovic final, then sure - pay them the same.

Also, anyone who thinks that Serena could hang with even an average male player is worth laughing at. She played against Karsteen Braach (who wasn't even ranked in the men's top 200 at the time) and lost 6-1. Venus lost 6-2. This is on top of hybrid rules and him boasting (not sure if it's legit or not) that he didn't give it 100%.

Perhaps that's because they are used to playing women. Maybe if they challenged themselves by competing equally against men, it would improve their game.

Back
Top Bottom