• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do Genesis 1 and 2 Contradict? [W:178]

No it isn't. the text says that God said he would make something. then it describes him making something, then it describes him presenting that something to adam and realizing that the thing he wanted to make wasn't made yet, so then it describes him making something else.

Your hypothesis is that the stuff in the middle is god experiencing an ADD moment between stating what he was going to do and doing it.

Where in the world does it say any of that?

No it isn't. the text says that God said he would make something. then it describes him making something, then it describes him presenting that something to adam and realizing that the thing he wanted to make wasn't made yet, so then it describes him making something else.

Your hypothesis is that the stuff in the middle is god experiencing an ADD moment between stating what he was going to do and doing it.

I have to agree the "suitable partner" is probably first referring to the animals. It says later in Gen 2:20 that none of the wild animals proved to be the suitable partner God was looking for, before talking about how God made Eve in Gen 2:21. I suppose I could see how Gen 2: 19 and 20 are referencing a past attempt at making a suitable partner for man, but that is a clumsier attempt at storytelling than the other way.

Where in the world does it say any of that?

18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”

Here god says that he is going to make something.

19 Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky.

Here it describes god making something.

He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.

Here it describes god presenting that something to adam.

But for Adam[f] no suitable helper was found.

Here it describes God realizing that the something he wanted to make wasn't made yet.

21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs[g] and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib[h] he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man."

Here it describes god making something else.

As you can see, I merely split up the passages from the bible, and the words I used in my previous quote, and showed exactly how what I said applies to what is in the bible.

If, as you state, God said what he said in genesis 18 to describe what he was going to do in genesis 22, why the hell do he do all that **** from 19 and 20? The only logical explanation I can come up with is that god would have ot have ADD. How do you explain it?

18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”

Here god says that he is going to make something.

19 Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky.

Here it describes god making something.

He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.

Here it describes god presenting that something to adam.

But for Adam[f] no suitable helper was found.

Here it describes God realizing that the something he wanted to make wasn't made yet.

21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs[g] and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib[h] he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man."

Here it describes god making something else.

As you can see, I merely split up the passages from the bible, and the words I used in my previous quote, and showed exactly how what I said applies to what is in the bible.

If, as you state, God said what he said in genesis 18 to describe what he was going to do in genesis 22, why the hell do he do all that **** from 19 and 20? The only logical explanation I can come up with is that god would have ot have ADD. How do you explain it?

Easy. Verse 18 is what God decided to do. 19-20 are the background of that decision. Plain and simple.

Easy. Verse 18 is what God decided to do. 19-20 are the background of that decision. Plain and simple.

Doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't that portion of the background for that decision be placed with the rest of the background for that decision (aka genesis 2 1:17)?

Doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't that portion of the background for that decision be placed with the rest of the background for that decision (aka genesis 2 1:17)?

2:17 is him placing Adam in the Garden.... Has nothing to do with Eve...

This guy is a lost cause, there is no changing the mind of the closed-minded irrational dogmatists.

If you are coming from the belief that the Bible is literally correct that makes sense. Just looking at the passages plainly however, with no background information, that isn't the most likely meaning they suggest IMO.

There is no order given in GEN 1.

Yes there is.

20 And God said, “Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the vault of the sky.” 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living thing with which the water teems and that moves about in it, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.” 23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.

24 And God said, “Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: the livestock, the creatures that move along the ground, and the wild animals, each according to its kind.” And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

After god created the animals, he made man.

"then" is pretty clearly an order indicator word.

If you are coming from the belief that the Bible is literally correct that makes sense. Just looking at the passages plainly however, with no background information, that isn't the most likely meaning they suggest IMO.

How so? You read the text, it makes perfect sense, even if you just read it as a story.

I have not deleted anything at all.

then you've jumped trhough intellectual hoops in order to read into the passage what you wanted to read, ratehr than allowing th etext to spak for itself. For shame, doing that which you accuse otehrs of doing. For shame.

then you've jumped trhough intellectual hoops in order to read into the passage what you wanted to read, ratehr than allowing th etext to spak for itself. For shame, doing that which you accuse otehrs of doing. For shame.

I haven't read anything into it, and you have yet to prove that I have. You ignore the actual text itself, and try to make it say something it doesn't, and then call God ADD because you don't like the way it is written.

Back
Top Bottom