• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do Democrats Really Want Immigration Reform?

Drake McHugh

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Eric Cantor and Judiciary chair Goodlatte are supporting the Dream Act. This is a big move from past positions. Now,I read in the Hill that Luis Guitirez and Xavier Becerra say that does not go far enough. Not far enough? Obama with 59 Democrat seats was not able to pass the Dream Act in the senate in 2010. Now many Republicans are on board. For them to say it is "not enough"says to me that they really do not want to improve people's lot. Just play games. No massive immigration bill is going to be passed in the house. If nothing happens this year,it's extremely unlikely to happen in 2014,an election year. Since Dems are very unlikely to win the house in 2014,and Republicans now have a better chance at the senate than before,any reform could be a nonstarter. It will be interesting to see if Dems are just trying to get as much as they can,or if they really think the Dream Act,which they have always supported,is really "not enough". If that's the case,they are worse than hypocrites.

Eric Cantor and Judiciary chair Goodlatte are supporting the Dream Act. This is a big move from past positions. Now,I read in the Hill that Luis Guitirez and Xavier Becerra say that does not go far enough. Not far enough? Obama with 59 Democrat seats was not able to pass the Dream Act in the senate in 2010. Now many Republicans are on board. For them to say it is "not enough"says to me that they really do not want to improve people's lot. Just play games. No massive immigration bill is going to be passed in the house. If nothing happens this year,it's extremely unlikely to happen in 2014,an election year. Since Dems are very unlikely to win the house in 2014,and Republicans now have a better chance at the senate than before,any reform could be a nonstarter. It will be interesting to see if Dems are just trying to get as much as they can,or if they really think the Dream Act,which they have always supported,is really "not enough". If that's the case,they are worse than hypocrites.

Do you think republicans really want immigration reform? Since the bill is being held up in congress and they hold the majority, who really doesn't want reform?

Do you really think Republicans want immigration reform? When Bush was in charge, how did that fence go? What immigration steps were ACTUALLY done for immigration reform and securing our borders. I'm not talking about lip service, I'm talking about action.

No, Republicans are playing the same game as the Dems. It's amazing most people haven't realized their getting played by both sides.

Two democrats saying it doesn't go far enough really isn't enough information to jump to the conclusion that Dem's don't want immigration reform. I can't find that these guys even said they would vote against the dream act. Them saying ti doesn't go far enough is hardly saying to me what you are interpreting it as.

Both sides just want more voters.

They really don't care how they get them.

If they think they can get them by legalizing 20 million more people who "they'll vote for our party", they'll stump for that.

And if "immigration reform" (read: amnesty and legalization for illegals) is the quick-fix path for that, that's what they'll panderingly push.

And, of course, if they think just stumping for that will get them in good graces with a particular affinity race, well that's icing on the cake.

But, in reality, they may not really want "immigration reform" and all the over-population and wage scale plummeting and etc. that will exacerbate that would harm the great majority of American citizens, American citizens, you know, people who might vote, maybe for the first time, to oust the Benedict Arnolds who voted for "immigration reform".

I mean, who in office would want to be responsible for creating such horrific conditions and then suffer the understandable consequences in the voting booth?

So they all just sit the fence, hoping to look good in the Senate, knowing the House ain't gonna act on it, speaking in the House of "creating our own bill" .. hoping that's enough to get the race-affinity votes ...

All politics as usual ..

.. In this case, hopefully.

What I find most interesting about the topic is how it will play out among voters, and especially Latino voters ... if progressive immigration reform is not passed, who do you think will be principally blamed? The President? Congressional Democrats? Republicans? Bingo! ... anyway, just a little advice to cons, the following gem by one of the GOP's most prominent figures (Steve King) is not the way to court Latino voters:

“Some of them are valedictorians, and their parents brought them in,” King told Newsmax in an interview last week. “It wasn’t their fault. It’s true in some cases, but they aren’t all valedictorians. They weren’t all brought in by their parents.”

“For everyone who’s a valedictorian, there’s another 100 out there that weigh 130 pounds and they’ve got calves the size of cantaloupes because they’re hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert,” he continued. “Those people would be legalized with the same act.”

Not wishing anyone any bad luck here, but if immigration reform doesn't pass, it will be interesting to see how that works out for the GOP.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

Question: Will anyone on this forum benefit from this reform?

If so, how?

Dems want a path to citizenship for undocumenteds. Which means: what are you waiting for? Make them Americans, already.
Dems want to rely on the Obama administration to patrol the borders.

GOPs want to try to make sure there isn't another illegal mass immigration to the US. They want to make sure the borders are first secured before the current undocumenteds are legalized.

Lots of demagoguery on both sides.

Not wishing anyone any bad luck here, but if immigration reform doesn't pass, it will be interesting to see how that works out for the GOP.

If the borders aren't secured, it will be interesting to see how that works out for the US.

As I have already posted, If immigration reform doesn't pass we'll see how that works out for the GOP.

"Better days are coming." ~ But not for today's out of touch, running out of time, GOP.

"Do Democrats Really Want Immigration Reform?"

They want the same thing as Republicans - more votes.

Do you really think Republicans want immigration reform? When Bush was in charge, how did that fence go? What immigration steps were ACTUALLY done for immigration reform and securing our borders. I'm not talking about lip service, I'm talking about action.

No, Republicans are playing the same game as the Dems. It's amazing most people haven't realized their getting played by both sides.

Yes I do. The Dems always supported the stand alone Dream Act before. Why not now? They were not even able to pass a bill with 59 Democrats in the senate,now their is a good chance a bill could be passed. So,yeah I think they made a pretty substantial move. I think this is a miscalculation and overplaying of their hand.

As I have already posted, If immigration reform doesn't pass we'll see how that works out for the GOP.

Do you think if GOPs don't pass a pathway to citizenship for undocumenteds this will prevent the GOP from winning elections because a majority of Americans seem to be for a pathway to citizenship?

BTW, are you for ObamaCare? That healthcare insurance measure for all Americans? It seems a majority of Americans are against ObamaCare. I guess the dems will take it on the chin come election time because of ObamaCare.

Last edited:
Current law suffers from a lack of will to enforce (not to mention lack of consequences for breaking). I don't think anybody will argue that the system doesn't need reform, but the "reforms" proposed are simply a repeat of the "reforms" that got us where we are today. Just smile & wave at the people who didn't follow the law. Who cares about the time & money spent by those who did follow it? They're just a bunch of schmucks.

Back
Top Bottom