• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do democrats really believe Joe Biden can unite the Nation?

Since you're obviously convinced that Biden can't reunite America, what would it take to convince you that he can?

Denouncing Marxist terror groups who assasinate Trump supporters by name would be step one.

Step two would be denouncing violent rioting

Step three would be denouncing anyone who views America as systemically racist

Denouncing Marxist terror groups who assasinate Trump supporters by name would be step one.

Step two would be denouncing violent rioting

Step three would be denouncing anyone who views America as systemically racist

It's not working for The Donald. :shrug:

Gonna take more than that and The Donald should be doing "more" now.

Apparently he has some plan for Jan? Why not now and save lives and businesses?

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Really nothing that will unite the country as it stands right now. We are polarized enough right now to be ineffective at anything, but not quite polarized enough for outright civil war.

Given the deep divide in the country do democrats really believe or even care that Joe Biden would be able to unite the country? If so why do you believe this is possible. I don't know of anyone who really thinks Barack Obama united the country, so why would you think Biden can?

No single individual elected president can unite this country. Not in this modern age of polarization and mega, ultra high partisanship. Not when each party tells their loyal followers that the other party is out to destroy America. Not when neither party is willing to work together for the benefit of the nation as a whole. Not when each party only cares about it base and think the other 70% of Americans can go to Hades. Not when each party views the other party as this nation's number one enemy.

Now politically, we'll never become united. There are way too many differing political points of view. But the hate and animosity can certainly be toned down quite a lot if the leaders of both parties are willing. If the leaders of both parties will listen to the other party and go back to the old political game of compromise, give and take. Stop all this negative attacks against the other party.

No problem on have a ton of political differences, but point them out in a tactful and meaningful way. Use the tool of compromise, it worked 20 years ago and it can work again. Tone the the hateful, vengeful political rhetoric. Realize that there are many more political viewpoints than your own.

No, no one elected president can unite this country on his own. We'll always have political differences, how those differences are stated is what counts. We can go back to the era of 25 or so years ago when both parties realized they had the same goals for America, to keep her secure, free and prosperous, only the paths were different.

But we can't get there with the leadership now present in both major parties. We can't get there with both major party leaders only thinking about the good of their party and not the good of the nation. When both party leaders are loyal to political party and not the country. Until that is corrected, a new set of leaders, there will be no unity, only more division and that division will only grow.

Last edited:
The country was far from united under President Obama, he certainly didn't do anything to bring the two parties nor their supporters together. If someone thinks otherwise I'd be interested in hearing where we were united?

The thing is, when Obama was president the right gave Obama and the left ****. When Trump became president, the left gave Trump **** times 10, causing them to claim that Trump is 10 times more divisive but it is the left who are the ones who are divisive times 10.

Let's see him convince Antifa and BLM to stop breaking things and assaulting people.

Or...

Let's see him convince the Dem city leaders to put down the anarchists for once and for all.

Keep in mind...if Biden would be able to reunite America as President, why can't he do it before he's President?

He was doing fine before Trump came. No reason to think he can't once Trump is gone.

What I am reading into your post is if Biden is elected, no use to listen to him. We know he won't accept anything the "right" has to say.

If Biden is elected, do you believe the "right" won't go after him every day? Heck the "right" on this forum is already doing that.

So guess the country will remain divided. Congress will remain gridlocked. The National debt will continue to rise.

My experience is both sides have something to offer the country. It is in more recent times that things have become more partisan.

The reality is the left are going after Trump every day, they have been doing that for four years. If Biden is elected the right will go after him every day for at least four years. What can Biden do to change that? In order to end the divisiveness, the president and their party have to offer up carrots to the other side. Biden and the left don't have any more carrots than Trump and the right do. So, if Biden is elected, the divisive continues with the poles flipped.

The thing is, when Obama was president the right gave Obama and the left ****. When Trump became president, the left gave Trump **** times 10, causing them to claim that Trump is 10 times more divisive but it is the left who are the ones who are divisive times 10.

When Obama was trying to revive the economy after the 2009 crash, the GOP stonewalled his every move, causing needless suffering and prolongation of the recovery, and a credit downrating of the United States internationally- all just to make Obama look bad. It was all about not having big government and fiscal prudence back then, remember?

With Trump, no one blocked any stimulus efforts. And notice how raising the debt ceiling is all of a sudden not even an issue anymore- even when the economy was already back on track.

It's not a symmetric situation. That's like thinking Fox is just the right's equivalent of CNN. It's not. CNN is actually a professional news outlet. Fox is a just a political propaganda machine- an entirely different thing altogether.

Given the deep divide in the country do democrats really believe or even care that Joe Biden would be able to unite the country? If so why do you believe this is possible. I don't know of anyone who really thinks Barack Obama united the country, so why would you think Biden can?

He’s uniting the country against trump. I think that’s a fairly united front at this point and a worthwhile enemy to overcome.

Unity comes in all forms.

I think Biden will pull some of the more moderate GOP along with a huge swath of Indies.

In other words, he has nothing to offer the right, not even the right moderates. The divisiveness will continue. The only thing he can offer the right is exactly as I said, "come over to our side and do things our way and then we can all get along". That does not end the divisiveness. It will continue because Biden doesn't have one thing to offer the right, not even one. About 35% of the country identify as moderates and 35% identify as conservatives, while only 24% identify as liberal. So, moderates aside, his solution is to ram the 24% of liberal values up the asses of the 35% who identify as conservatives. I could easily argue that under Biden the country will be even more divided. If the left are serious about tolerance and ending the divisiveness, they have to offer several things to the right and they won't even offer one.

Last edited:
In other words, he has nothing to offer the right, not even the right moderates. The divisiveness will continue. The only thing he can offer the right is exactly as I said, "come over to our side and do things our way and then we can all get along". That does not end the divisiveness. It will continue because Biden doesn't have on thing to offer the right.

Not to right wing extremists like you

The reality is the left are going after Trump every day, they have been doing that for four years. If Biden is elected the right will go after him every day for at least four years. What can Biden do to change that? In order to end the divisiveness, the president and their party have to offer up carrots to the other side. Biden and the left don't have any more carrots than Trump and the right do. So, if Biden is elected, the divisive continues with the poles flipped.

and that is the problem with the country. In the end the American people are the ones hurt by this childish bs from our politicians.

Niether Biden or trump will unite us, the reason is we do not want to be re-united, but at least Biden would try his best where as trump actually tries to divide us more.

In other words, he has nothing to offer the right,

It's hard to offer anything to folks who deny the unanimous consensus of every single scientific organization on the entire planet on climate change, all the doctors and scientists specializing in viruses and infectious diseases on the pandemic, and every single intelligence agency in the country on Russian meddling, but think it's a good idea to elect a Manhattan real estate huckster who made them chase after Obama's secret birth certificate for 6 years to the presidency. I mean we're dealing with a group of people whose brains are completely fried at this point.

not even the right moderates

Nah, Trump lost the right moderates, and anyone else with any sense of decency or half a brain, a long time ago.

Dedicated Americans Protecting Democracy | The Lincoln Project

Hell no. I expect the right to do everything in their power to try to make sure biden is a failure. I predict the R's will become the party of no again. I can hear mitch already warning the gop as he himself leaves office too.
In other words you expect Republicans to act like Democrats.

The worst case scenario is a choice between a guy who throws gasoline onto the fire versus a guy who doesn't throw gasoline on the fire.

Hey, I voted for Obama in 2012. The right were horrible to him. Since Trump became president the left have been out to prove they can return it tenfold.

Even if that were true, it's called free speech. I thought you supported that.

Honestly, I think in a year, Biden won't even be able to wipe himself, let alone run anything. Liberals are voting for Kamala Harris in this election.

It's hard to offer anything to folks who deny the unanimous consensus of every single scientific organization on the entire planet on climate change, all the doctors and scientists specializing in viruses and infectious diseases on the pandemic, and every single intelligence agency in the country on Russian meddling, but think it's a good idea to elect a Manhattan real estate huckster who made them chase after Obama's secret birth certificate for 6 years to the presidency. I mean we're dealing with a group of people whose brains are completely fried at this point.

Nah, Trump lost the right moderates, and anyone else with any sense of decency or half a brain, a long time ago.

Dedicated Americans Protecting Democracy | The Lincoln Project

:golf

Niether Biden or trump will unite us, the reason is we do not want to be re-united, but at least Biden would try his best where as trump actually tries to divide us more.

I completely agree. Joe Biden isnt out for himself or his ego. He want to serve this country.

Yeah, laugh away Donald Followers. Those blinders will only protect you so long.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

The worst case scenario is a choice between a guy who throws gasoline onto the fire versus a guy who doesn't throw gasoline on the fire.

There ya go!

and that is the problem with the country. In the end the American people are the ones hurt by this childish bs from our politicians.

Sounds almost like you’re saying that resistance against Trump is because the right is being divisive but if Biden wins and the right resists Biden it will still be the right who is divisive.

Sounds almost like you’re saying that resistance against Trump is because the right is being divisive but if Biden wins and the right resists Biden it will still be the right who is divisive.

That is not what I am saying. imo, the problem is the country has become so partisan. I have stated before that no one Party has all the answers. Seems people have forgotten how to be able to discuss differences and come to some conclusion for the betterment of the country. I blame all sides for this. Democrat and Republican. This is one reason I left the Republican party and became an Independent.

That is not what I am saying. imo, the problem is the country has become so partisan. I have stated before that no one Party has all the answers. Seems people have forgotten how to be able to discuss differences and come to some conclusion for the betterment of the country. I blame all sides for this. Democrat and Republican. This is one reason I left the Republican party and became an Independent.

I started out as a Democrat in my earlier life. Then I switched to Republican under Reagan and a little after. Then I switched to Independent. But, in my state, independents have pretty much no one to vote for in the primaries so I switched by registration to Republican since I lean right, but I am still an independent at heart. The right treated Obama like ****. I voted for Obama in 2012. Ever since Trump won the left have gone stark raving mad/insane.

It’s absolutely hilarious that after four years of “try to own the libs” being the only constant conservative position........now you lot are babbling about “divisiveness”.

Back
Top Bottom