• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do Conservatives use ''patriotism'' to stifle freedom of speech?

Yes_Minister

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I have heard conservatives complain that ''political correctness'' stifles free speech, but do conservatives use patriotism to stifle freedom of speech? It seems like it, they seem to demand everyone from the Dixie Chicks to Colin Kapernick be fired for being unpatriotic. Seems like they demand all speech be patriotically correct or it will be canceled.

Expecting no private reaction to speech is unreasonable. If the question is whether ‘cancel culture’ (calls for boycotts?) is used by folks of various political leans, then yes. The 1A applies to the government - not to private entities.

I have heard conservatives complain that ''political correctness'' stifles free speech, but do conservatives use patriotism to stifle freedom of speech? It seems like it, they seem to demand everyone from the Dixie Chicks to Colin Kapernick be fired for being unpatriotic. Seems like they demand all speech be patriotically correct or it will be canceled.
If freedom of speech were a fire conservatives would use their own testicals to put it out if they had any.

Expecting no private reaction to speech is unreasonable. If the question is whether ‘cancel culture’ (calls for boycotts?) is used by folks of various political leans, then yes. The 1A applies to the government - not to private entities.
There's a larger issue at play here, however - leaving aside the 1A and what it does and doesn't give a right to, are both the right and left guilty of seeking to ridicule/suppress/marginalize speech that runs counter to their respective ideology? Are both guilty of trying to use the power of government to carry out that objective?

There's a larger issue at play here, however - leaving aside the 1A and what it does and doesn't give a right to, are both the right and left guilty of seeking to ridicule/suppress/marginalize speech that runs counter to their respective ideology?

Yes some certainly are, which was my point.

Are both guilty of trying to use the power of government to carry out that objective?

I hope not, since that is counter to the 1A.

Except it seems like conservative free speech absolutism is a lie and that their supposed small-government ideology is a lie as well, that they use patriotism to enforce state-backed social hierarchies, the Right is currently having a manufactured freak out over Disney and seem to want to punish Disney over being too woke or grooming or some other made-up culture war nonsense (I don't even like Disney, but I know this is made up) and frankly, I think Libertarians are mostly fine supporting this, supposed Libertarians like Stefan Molyneaux complain about cancel culture all the time.

I don't pretend to adhere to some fake ideology to hide my motives, I think the government should be as big or as small as various circumstances dictate, some things can be handled by the government, and other things can be handled by other actors, more like worker co-ops than corporations. I would argue that the vast majority of the Right believe in social hierarchies over this supposed small-government ideology. The battle isn't between small and big government, it's between social equality and social hierarchy.

Debating the merits of Right-wing small-government ideology is like debating the merits of the North Korean ideology of Juche, pointless because it's all fake and whether a few people actually believe in it is irrelevant, the vast majority of the Right have proven that they don't, no one gets an infinite supply of benefit of the doubt.

Except it seems like conservative free speech absolutism is a lie and that their supposed small-government ideology is a lie as well, that they use patriotism to enforce state-backed social hierarchies, the Right is currently having a manufactured freak out over Disney and seem to want to punish Disney over being too woke or grooming or some other made-up culture war nonsense (I don't even like Disney, but I know this is made up) and frankly, I think Libertarians are mostly fine supporting this, supposed Libertarians like Stefan Molyneaux complain about cancel culture all the time.

I don't pretend to adhere to some fake ideology to hide my motives, I think the government should be as big or as small as various circumstances dictate, some things can be handled by the government, and other things can be handled by other actors, more like worker co-ops than corporations. I would argue that the vast majority of the Right believe in social hierarchies over this supposed small-government ideology. The battle isn't between small and big government, it's between social equality and social hierarchy.

Debating the merits of Right-wing small-government ideology is like debating the merits of the North Korean ideology of Juche, pointless because it's all fake and whether a few people actually believe in it is irrelevant, the vast majority of the Right have proven that they don't, no one gets an infinite supply of benefit of the doubt.

I don’t think the “vast majority of the Right” (however you may choose to define “the Right”) care about the Dixie Chicks, Colin Kapernick or Disney. You seemed to have wandered far from ‘freedom of speech’ and are now simply on a general rant against “the Right”.

I don’t think the “vast majority of the Right” (however you may choose to define “the Right”) care about the Dixie Chicks, Colin Kapernick or Disney. You seemed to have wandered far from ‘freedom of speech’ and are now simply on a general rant against “the Right”.

I think they do because most of them care about culture war nonsense more than freedom of speech or small government. Think about it, how many of these free speech or small government fundamentalists actually have been to engage in even the smallest self-sacrifice to promote their supposed ideals? Heck, mild inconvenience would be enough to make most of the supposed free speech warriors turn against their supposed ideals.

Back
Top Bottom