• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do conservatives think big government is okay if its used to fight the culture wars?

tacomancer

Christian Capitalist Social Democrat
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
It does seem to be that way.

Patriotic Voter

Christian Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Do conservatives think big government is okay if its used to fight the culture wars?

They only care about having power to themselves. Their fake complaints about Democrats wanting big government are nothing more than whining about not being the people in power.

Emily L

Don't leave the toilet seat up, please, HAL.
DP Veteran
Reaction score

Minister, I don't like an over-sized government, but I have to say that many of my fellow conservatives didn't seem to be concerned about the size of the government when they were last in control of the White House. But that might be typical of both parties.

Patriotic Voter

Christian Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Minister, I don't like an over-sized government, but I have to say that many of my fellow conservatives didn't seem to be concerned about the size of the government when they were last in control of the White House. But that might be typical of both parties.

Democrats do not want to be totalitarian dictators. They never want big government for personal reasons. It is always because they know we need big government to succeed as a nation with 330 million people.

SkyChief

US Veteran
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
The size of government is inversely proportional to liberty and freedom - i.e., the bigger the government, the less liberty.

For liberty to prosper, the best government is a small government.

The only thing that Government should be fighting is other countries who threaten to conquer us.

Emily L

Don't leave the toilet seat up, please, HAL.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Democrats do not want to be totalitarian dictators. They never want big government for personal reasons. It is always because they know we need big government to succeed as a nation with 330 million people.

Yes, these days we do need a large government, but I don't want it to be "over-sized," e.g., where regulations extend too far into our private lives.

For example, when I get married and have children (fingers crossed :) ), I and my burden--I mean husband--would like to be the ones to make decisions on how our children are raised and educated. I don't like it when I hear people say that the government knows better how to raise children than do their parents.

Yes, that might be a vague and lofty example, but that's the kind of thing that concerns me about a too-big government.

Mycroft

Genius is where you find it.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
First of all, this is your thread...what do YOU think?

Anyway, I'm a conservative and I don't want to fight any wars. I also don't like big government.

Yes_Minister

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The size of government is inversely proportional to liberty and freedom - i.e., the bigger the government, the less liberty.

For liberty to prosper, the best government is a small government.

The only thing that Government should be fighting is other countries who threaten to conquer us.

So is this small government?

What about this?

Yes_Minister

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
First of all, this is your thread...what do YOU think?

Anyway, I'm a conservative and I don't want to fight any wars. I also don't like big government.

Clearly I do think that is the case.

Blue Dog

Mugwump
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
If one is small government conservative, idealistically the rule should apply across the board.

That said, If exceptions have to made, culture issues are not the place to begin…

Fletch

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
So is this small government?

What about this?

You dont seem to understand your own point. Public schools are run by government. So having a say in what is taught in government schools is not advocating for big government. It is directing the state to follow the wishes of the people.

Yes_Minister

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Okay. Now, in the spirit of civilized debate, all you need to do is tell us why.

Answer me this, how many conservatives demanded police reform after the deaths of Tamir Rice or Philando Castile and how said "he's no angels" and tried to justify their deaths?

How many conservatives oppose the Lee Atwater ideology?

What about this?

What about conservatives closing polling places in black neighborhoods?

You dont seem to understand your own point. Public schools are run by government. So having a say in what is taught in government schools is not advocating for big government. It is directing the state to follow the wishes of the people.

And if gay parents disagree with these new rules, do their rights matter? Also weren't those bathrooms an attempt to regulate trans people?

And what about the militarized police? When the cops shot black people like Tamir Rice or Philando Castile, how many conservatives turned a blind eye?

What about this?

Mycroft

Genius is where you find it.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Answer me this, how many conservatives demanded police reform after the deaths of Tamir Rice or Philando Castile and how said "he's no angels" and tried to justify their deaths?

What about this?

Is this how you debate? You are asked to justify your position and you respond by asking ME questions?

Sounds to me like you want to argue a position I haven't taken in order to somehow justify a position you haven't explained.

Fletch

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

What about this?

And if gay parents disagree with these new rules, do their rights matter? Also weren't those bathrooms an attempt to regulate trans people?

And what about the militarized police? When the cops shot black people like Tamir Rice or Philando Castile, how many conservatives turned a blind eye?

What about this?

When the door comes off its hinges.....

Patriotic Voter

Christian Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Yes, these days we do need a large government, but I don't want it to be "over-sized," e.g., where regulations extend too far into our private lives.

For example, when I get married and have children, I and my burden - I mean husband - would like to be the ones to make decisions on how our children are raised and educated. I don't like it when I hear people say that the government knows better how to raise children than do their parents.

Yes, that might be a vague and lofty example, but that's the kind of thing that concerns me about a too-big government.

On that issue, I totally support allowing kids to attend private schools without any restrictions except the parent's ability to pay for it. However, I have a huge problem with home schooling kids who are mentally, socially, and physically able to function in all classrooms. Parents should not be allowed to substitute real school teachers, putting themselves in full control of what their kids learn about topics such as sex, money, government, ecology, computer literacy, and home economics. If you want to home school your kid, hire a real teacher who is required to teach standardized lessons at every grade level, regardless of the reason. Also, whenever possible, students should be in classrooms. I would require any parent who prefers home schooling to submit a legitimate reason (not "I want to avoid teaching them sex education" nonsense).

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Let's see, I wonder what states like kentucky, or oklahoma, maybe texas and florida too have been up to the past several weeks?

Hope that helps to answer the question. I hope republicans know that the monster they've created is one day coming for them when there are no enemies left.

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

Without question. Righties demand to use the government to abuse trans people, Black people, Brown people, people of color, women, immigrants, Muslims...whoever ****er Carlson tells them to persecute and hate.

Top Bottom