• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do Christians accept that the earth is older than the sun like the Bible says?

Looks like there are scientists who may have been misunderstood when they discussed the creation of the Sun.

Headline to one article: Earth Has Water Older Than the Sun

Just one little problem with the interpretations I have read in this thread - the water is not only older than the Sun, it is also older than the Earth.
By reconstructing conditions in the disk of gas and dust in which the Solar System formed, scientists have concluded that the Earth and other planets must have inherited much of their water from the cloud of gas from which the Sun was born 4.6 billion years ago, instead of forming later. The authors say that such interstellar water would also be included in the formation of most other stellar systems, and perhaps of other Earth-like planets.

The dense interstellar clouds of gas and dust where stars form contain abundant water, in the form of ice. When a star first lights up, it heats up the cloud around it and floods it with radiation, vaporizing the ice and breaking up some of the water molecules into oxygen and hydrogen.

There was one error I saw in the Haaretz article -
The author of Genesis 1, probably a Hebrew scribe living in Babylon during the Babylonian Exile in the 4th century BCE, was apparently creating a new version of the old creation myth that could conform with the strict monotheism which was taking hold of Judaism at the time.

The period known as the Babylonian Exile took place during the 6h century BCE. Historians are still debating the actual start and finish of the exilic period with start dates ranging from 608 to 586 BCE, while the end of the Exile is dated somewhere between 539 and 516 BCE.

Creation myths can be interesting and the one in Genesis is one of the best but it has nothing to do with Christianity.
Christianity accepts the Old Testament as the word of a supernatural infallible deity.

Christianity accepts the Old Testament as the word of a supernatural infallible deity.
Not all of them. Probably not even most of them.

Name any scriptures in the Old Testament which Christianity rejects.
I didn't say Christianity rejects scriptures. I said many, probably most, Christians don't consider the Old Testament to be the word of God. The Bible isn't the Koran and most Christians don't think God whispered every word of it into a prophet's ear. A group of ordinary men convened and decided over years which books to include in the Bible and which ones shouldn't be included and they didn't bestow divinity on their choices.

I didn't say Christianity rejects scriptures. I said many, probably most, Christians don't consider the Old Testament to be the word of God. The Bible isn't the Koran and most Christians don't think God whispered every word of it into a prophet's ear. A group of ordinary men convened and decided over years which books to include in the Bible and which ones shouldn't be included and they didn't bestow divinity on their choices.

Jesus quoted from the Hebrew Scriptures many times when he answered, "It is written" while on the earth nor is that what Paul said and he was a Christian...

"All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness," 2 Timothy 3:16

For all the things that were written beforehand were written for our instruction, so that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope." Romans 15:4

If nothing else, we can learn from their mistakes as well as imitate their faith at other times...

"Now these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for a warning to us upon whom the ends of the systems of things have come."1 Corinthians 10:11

There was one error I saw in the Haaretz article -

The period known as the Babylonian Exile took place during the 6h century BCE. Historians are still debating the actual start and finish of the exilic period with start dates ranging from 608 to 586 BCE, while the end of the Exile is dated somewhere between 539 and 516 BCE.
They appears to be confusing the Exile with the writing of the LXX. Of course they are still out by a hundred years or so.

I never heard of any Christian Church which does not accept the Old Testament as the divinely inspired word of God. I refer to the Catholic Church and major European Protestant denominations such as Lutherans.

Genesis 1

9 "
And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so."

10 "God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.”
And God saw that it was good."

11 "Then God said, “Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds.” And it was so"

12 "The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good"

13 "And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day."

14 "
And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years"

15 "and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so."

16 "God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

17 "God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth"

18 "to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good."

19 "And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day."

The Holy Bible says always the Truth!

Jesus quoted from the Hebrew Scriptures many times when he answered, "It is written" while on the earth nor is that what Paul said and he was a Christian...

"All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness," 2 Timothy 3:16

For all the things that were written beforehand were written for our instruction, so that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope." Romans 15:4

If nothing else, we can learn from their mistakes as well as imitate their faith at other times...

"Now these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for a warning to us upon whom the ends of the systems of things have come."1 Corinthians 10:11

"Jesus quoted"? More correctly, the unknown authors of the Epistles quoted used passages from the Old Testament - probably the Septuagint instead of the Hebrew Tanakh. Easy it is to 'verify' a prophecy when writing fiction.

"Jesus quoted"? More correctly, the unknown authors of the Epistles quoted used passages from the Old Testament - probably the Septuagint instead of the Hebrew Tanakh. Easy it is to 'verify' a prophecy when writing fiction.
Yes, Jesus quoted...do you actually think that every quote ever recorded was written by the one who originated it? lol...think again and read some history books...

Yep -- LOL

Six and a half years in university studying history does teach one a few things about the past and how some of those writings may be interpreted.

The Bible is not a history book. It is a religious text, one that has seen multiple edits and redactions over the centuries, especially so during the 2nd and 3rd centuries.

The Bible is wrong of course. But given that it was written before advances in cosmology, the authors can be forgiven.

So it is!

Back
Top Bottom