• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do Christian Church's break the Second Commandment?

Not true. Some pray to various Saints. Some pray to Mother Mary. "Hail Mary, full of Grace..."

Praying to saints or to Mother Mary =/= praying to icons of Jesus =/= praying to Jesus

I have seen Christians praying to a carving of Jesus/Joshua on the cross. In the OT, the image of God cannot be seen.

Praying to Jesus while having a carving of Jesus on the cross =/= praying to a carving of Jesus on the cross.

Just like talking on the phone to my mother while looking at a picture of my mother =/= Talking to a picture of my mother.

That's a really important difference between Judaism and Christianity. Christians believe they know the face and image of God.

The belief of whether or not Jesus was the Messiah might also have something to do with the differences between those two religions too.

The angels on the Arch were not for worship, as images of Jesus/Joshua's cruxifiction is. That's the difference.
Images of the crucifixion are not for worship either....... only for recognition, reverence, and spiritual focus. But the Ark was held in spiritual reverence and WAS the presence of God according to the Books of Exodus, I and II Samuel, and Deuteronomy. God even told Moses that he would communicate his will through the wings of the two cherubim upon the ark (paraphrased of course). The Ark was carried before the armies of Israel as a Holy relic, although we know that it was much more.

"Flesh" is not God. God cannot die. God doesn't sleep or weep or grow.

If you actually read the NT, you will find Jesus to be a remarkable servant of God, who prays to God all the time. But as flesh, he was not a walking, talking God. The closest thing Jesus/Joshua said about that was that the "spirit of God is in him and his spirit is in God." They shared a spiritual connection, but were clearly two separate beings. Worshiping Jesus violates the 10 Commandments, if you actually read a proper translation of the Old Testament.
"I am Yahweh your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage."

God has a name and it is not "trinity."
I believe (know), as do many, many Christians that Jesus and God are ONE, and Jesus himself says so on more than one occassion:
I and my Father are one. John 10:30

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...All things were made by him...He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not...And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us John 1:1, 3, 10, 14

Jesus saith...he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? John 14:9

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 1 John 5:7

Images of the crucifixion are not for worship either
Good to hear, it's my hope that people don't mistakenly worship idols and images of Christ.
I believe (know), as do many, many Christians that Jesus and God are ONE, and Jesus himself says so on more than one occassion:
I happen to believe Jesus--that isn't even his name, his name was Joshua--Christ's words have been taken out of context. Time and time again, Christ said he was the "Son of God."

You took one snip of John 10:30, but here it is in context (starting at 10:22):
My own comments in red.

"22 Now the feast of the dedication was celebrating at Jerusalem, and it was winter. 23 And Jesus walked in the temple in the porch of Solomon. 24 The Jews therefore surrounded him, and said to him, Until when dost thou hold our soul in suspense? If thou art the Christ,

Chrism was Holy Oil used in anointment, the word Messiah means "Anointed One," and now that we have context: the Jews are criticizing Jesus'/Joshua's claim to be the Messiah. Regardless this conversation is about proof of being the Messiah and / or Son of God.

say so to us openly. 25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye do not believe. The works which I do in my Father's name, these bear witness concerning me: 26 but ye do not believe, for ye are not of my sheep, as I told you. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me; 28 and I give them life eternal; and they shall never perish, and no one shall seize them out of my hand. 29 My Father who has given them to me is greater than all, and no one can seize out of the hand of my Father. 30 I and the Father are one."

In the next few lines Jesus explains what he meant by "are one" in detail.

"31 The Jews therefore again took stones that they might stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewn you of my Father; for which work of them do ye stone me? 33 The Jews answered him, For a good work we stone thee not, but for blasphemy, and because thou, being a man, makest thyself God. 34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

Jesus is referring to Psalm 82:

PSALM 82. Thus saith the Lord: Ye are gods and children of the Most High.

In Psalm 82 God calls the Jews "Gods" and "sons" and "daughters" of God. Now that this is in context, it actually sounds like Jesus is saying he is fulfilling this scripture. In fact in John 14:12-14 Christ says that those who have faith can do even greater works than him. How can people be "greater" than God? The answer is that Jesus was the Son, not God himself.

35 If he called them gods to whom the word of God came (and the scripture cannot be broken), 36 do ye say of him whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest, because I said, I am Son of God?

God called the Jews "sons" of God. Jesus fulfilled the scripture (Psalm 82).

37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not; 38 but if I do, even if ye believe not me, believe the works, that ye may know and believe that the Father is in me and I in him.

Here Christ explains what "one" means. The spirit of the Father is in Christ Joshua and Joshua's spirit is in the Father. But any person can have the same relationship with God. Christ says so in John 14.

39 They sought therefore again to take him; and he went away from out of their hand"

John 10 Darby Bible Translation

And Christ Joshua (who you call "Jesus") also goes on to say God is greater than Christ and God can reside inside you, just as God's spirit is with Christ. Therefore, anyone can be on the same level as Christ, but no one can be on the same level as God, not even Christ. Please read below, John 14:16

"16 And I will beg the Father, and he will give you another Comforter, that he may be with you for ever, 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see him nor know him; but ye know him, for he abides with you, and shall be in you."

The Holy spirit of God will reside inside the faithful.

"18 I will not leave you orphans, I am coming to you. 19 Yet a little and the world sees me no longer; but ye see me; because I live ye also shall live. 20 In that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you."

The faithful will have the same spiritual "union" with God as Christ. They will be "one."

"21 He that has my commandments and keeps them, he it is that loves me; but he that loves me shall be loved by my Father, and I will love him and will manifest myself to him. 22 Judas, not the Iscariote, says to him, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself to us and not to the world? 23 Jesus answered and said to him, If any one love me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our abode with him."

Again, God will make a "home" in the faithful. They will build a spiritual home.

"24 He that loves me not does not keep my words; and the word which ye hear is not mine, but that of the Father who has sent me."

Christ isn't speaking for himself, he is a messenger of God. A servant.

"25 These things I have said to you, abiding with you; 26 but the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and will bring to your remembrance all the things which I have said to you."

The spirit of the heavenly father will reside in the faithful, teaching them miracles.

"27 I leave peace with you; I give my peace to you: not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it fear. 28 Ye have heard that I have said unto you, I go away and I am coming to you. If ye loved me ye would rejoice that I go to the Father, for my Father is greater than I."

The Heavenly Father is greater than Christ.

"29 And now I have told you before it comes to pass, that when it shall have come to pass ye may believe. 30 I will no longer speak much with you, for the ruler of the world comes, and in me he has nothing;"

Many times in the NT Satan is referred to as the "God or Ruler of this word."

"31 but that the world may know that I love the Father, and as the Father has commanded me, thus I do. Rise up, let us go hence."

John 14 Darby Bible Translation

My conclusion is that the man Christ, Joshua who is called Jesus because of a bad translation, was a spiritually devote follower and servant of God. That is the reason Christ "increased in wisdom and stature" Luke 2:52, questioned God's plan and begged for mercy Mark 14:32-42, asked God "Why have you forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46

"Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen," Isaiah 43:10. "I have laid help upon one that is mighty; I have exalted one chosen out of the people," Psalms 89:19.

Christ "I am among you as he that serve," Luke 22:27.

:peace

Last edited:
What religion do you follow, Joe?

The Second Commandment is a ban on making or worshiping any religious image. That's why synagogues don't have statues of Moses and why mosques don't have statues of Mohammad.

Exodus 20:4 (The Second Commandment of God)

"You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I The Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate Me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love Me and keep My Commandments."

God says pictures of Saints, Mother Marry or Jesus on the Cross is bad.

jesus2bon2bthe2bcross.jpg

This is idolatry. A violation of the Second Commandment, yet this image can be seen in every Christian Church. Millions of Christians pray to wood carving of Jesus and worship the image of a man being murdered. Can someone explain this?

Thanks.

The OT, with the exception of Genesis and Psalms, is mostly garbage, in my opinion. If one believes that God is jealous, I pity them. They would have to have a very dated idea of God.

I've wondered about this as well. My church doesn't have any statues, crucifixes or even a cross in the sanctuary. I often wonder why people stand in front of, say, a statue of Mary and pray. I would be uncomfortable going to a church with statues and such.

I also think it's highly inappropriate for humans to deem other humans "Saints," but that's for another thread.

and no one is asking you to attend a catholic church.

Last edited:
What religion do you follow, Joe?
I've studied Judaism and Christianity. But for all purposes here I'm a deist.
The OT, with the exception of Genesis and Psalms, is mostly garbage, in my opinion. If one believes that God is jealous, I pity them. They would have to have a very dated idea of God.
By "garbage" you are referring to God's own words on the subject.

So not only to you fail to refute the premise of my argument, but you insult God but claiming you know more about him than Himself. The quote you are referring to is from the 10 Commandments, which are considered God's own words. Christ Himself said to follow the 10 Commandments, which are quoted in my OP.

So, please enlighten me; what do you know that those two don't?

I've studied Judaism and Christianity. But for all purposes here I'm a deist.

And yet you still lack the clarity of understanding that just because someone prays to God and/or Jesus and just because someone possesses pictures and/or paintings of God and/or Jesus, that does not necessarily mean that that someone is praying to a picture and/or painting of God and/or Jesus.

Answer: absolutely, Catholicism melded Roman paganism with christianity - almost everything the Catholic church and its derivatives practice is a direct violation of scripture.

Example: 1 Timothy 4:3 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.

What do the Catholics do? Forbid to marry

“When you pray, don’t babble on and on as people of other religions do. They think their prayers are answered merely by repeating their words again and again. 8Don’t be like them, for your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him!"

what do a majority of christian churches do? repeat words over and over

LOL

Last edited:
And yet you still lack the clarity of understanding that just because someone prays to God and/or Jesus and just because someone possesses pictures and/or paintings of God and/or Jesus, that does not necessarily mean that that someone is praying to a picture and/or painting of God and/or Jesus.
I only know what the second Commandment says--and the definition of an idol.
i·dol
noun

an image or other material object representing a deity to which religious worship is addressed.
This is the definition of an idol. That is exactly what I'm talking about.

Christian Churches make images that represent Holy people to focus religious worship.

"You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I The Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate Me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love Me and keep My Commandments."
Exodus 20

Last edited:

This is the definition of an idol. That is exactly what I'm talking about.

Christian Churches make images that represent Holy people to focus religious worship.

Exodus 20

An image is a tool. It gives the mind assistance in focusing. Very few individuals are so uneducated as to view the object as more important than God.

Exodus 20

I am not disputing what the definition of an idol is. I am not disputing that Christian churches make images that represent Holy people to focus religious worship. I am not disputing what the Bible says about idolatry.

What I am disputing is you saying that just because someone has a picture or painting of Jesus Christ or God that person is worshiping that picture or painting instead of Jesus Christ or God.

The Second Commandment is a ban on making or worshiping any religious image. That's why synagogues don't have statues of Moses and why mosques don't have statues of Mohammad.

Exodus 20:4 (The Second Commandment of God)

God says pictures of Saints, Mother Marry or Jesus on the Cross is bad.

jesus2bon2bthe2bcross.jpg

This is idolatry. A violation of the Second Commandment, yet this image can be seen in every Christian Church. Millions of Christians pray to wood carving of Jesus and worship the image of a man being murdered. Can someone explain this?

Thanks.

(Someone probably already mentioned this)

But in my art-history class we briefly discussed the "depictions of Jesus in Religious art" . . .

In the Middle Ages the term 'iconoclast' was used for the people who were against depictions of Jesus personae (or other dieties) in religious art - but were OK with symbolism.

And then tehre were others who were "extreme iconoclasts" who wanted *all* depictions and symbols to be denied.

Interesting.

I dislike the iconic images of Christ because I don't think he looked a thing like that.

I dislike the iconic images of Christ because I don't think he looked a thing like that.

I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says "I want to be formal, but I'm here to party!"

(Someone probably already mentioned this)

But in my art-history class we briefly discussed the "depictions of Jesus in Religious art" . . .

In the Middle Ages the term 'iconoclast' was used for the people who were against depictions of Jesus personae (or other dieties) in religious art - but were OK with symbolism.

And then tehre were others who were "extreme iconoclasts" who wanted *all* depictions and symbols to be denied.

Interesting.

It's funny that you mention *all* symbols be denied. Because there is a symbolism between the Torah and Jesus Christ that I learned in my Old Testament class.

In Old Testament times, the Torah would be written on sheepskin as opposed to papyrus. There was a practical reason for this: sheepskin would last for generations and was quite sturdy, while papyrus was easy to ruin. However, there's also a symbolic reason. In order to get the sheepskin, a sheep would have to die. This goes along with the idea in ancient Judaism that animal sacrifices must be made to God as repentance for sin.

This also goes along with the idea that the Word of God, called Logos by the Greeks, is a living thing. It has the stuff of life about it because God's scripture is written on something that was living, breathing, and bleeding.

This carries over in the New Testament in John 1:1

John 1:1 said:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

So the Word of God, or Logos, was a principle part of God that was made manifest on Earth through the Torah written by the Jewish priests on sheepskin. However, during New Testament times, God made the Logos manifest on Earth through Jesus Christ. So there's a parallel of symbolism there.

That parallelism also continues in that just as a sheep must be killed for the Logos, so did Jesus Christ had to be killed for the Logos. This continues on with the symbolism of Jesus Christ's sacrifice on the Cross in atonement for mankind's sins much as a sheep must be sacrificed in atonement for mankind's sins before.

What made me think of all of this was how ironic it was for extreme iconoclasts to be against all symbols and symbolism when Jesus Christ is considered at the most a manifestation of and at the least a symbol of the Logos of God.

I believe it would just be drawn symbols: the fish, the sheep (but I might be wrong)
And the 'extreme iconoclasts' had a different name - "icono---" I forget the 2nd part (bad student!)

I pay too much attention to debate-content in my classes - the other week I was intent on writing out key points for an online debate during my teacher's civ lecture that I never heard him say "this section we're covering today will be on next weeks test."

LOL

Back
Top Bottom