• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do celebrities help or hurt causes?

Do celebrities help or hurt causes?

• Total voters
Depends on the celebrity and what they're doing to try to help.

I've seen videos on YouTube where celebrities express opinions and many of the comments by people about the videos are "who gives a sh*t what they think?!". And sometimes I would agree, but one video stands out for me...

YouTube - Matt Damon Rips Sarah Palin

Though one celebrity's opinion wont effect mine in many cases, Damon was expressing an opinion shared by many Americans... myself included.

Last edited:
A celeb to me is stupid and needs to gtfo until proven otherwise. Matt Damon is a pretty smart dude but eh.

Celebrities mean well, usually have decent motives, but lack the ability to reason with, IMO, fools. Those with this reasoning ability will never become famous, only disliked.
I'm thinking of Jane Fonda.

As others have said depends on the cause. IMO, when they jump into politics their opinion is worth no more than mine or yours. It doesn't matter what side they are on. IMO, they jump into some issues because they want media exposure. It may help with their fan base. For the most part it makes me think, "if only they had a brain".

They're usually so disconnected from the rest of the world, that they hurt the cause they involve themselves with.

I think "usually" is an over-statement.

Charitable & Philanthropic Celebrities

Perhaps ... but the damage done by every Sean Penn type out there, it gives a perception about the rest. And let's face it, Hollywood types are not the more connected folks with the real world. I'm not saying they don't give... but they're reasoning behind it... not so clear.

It depends. If you're a rabid fan they will help. If you live in reality, the political opinions of dysfunctional "pretty" people means nothing.

I've seen videos on YouTube where celebrities express opinions and many of the comments by people about the videos are "who gives a sh*t what they think?!". And sometimes I would agree, but one video stands out for me...

YouTube - Matt Damon Rips Sarah Palin

Though one celebrity's opinion wont effect mine in many cases, Damon was expressing an opinion shared by many Americans... myself included.

riiight...he expressed concern that the presidency would be turned over to someone with so little experience...like...no REAL experience at all...

ummm.....

do celebritities help...well...it certainly depends...doesnt it? When assholes like Sean Penn go put their hand in Saddam Husseins who leads him around and shows him what he wants the dumbass to see and report on...then of COURSE it helps. Saddam. Just like it helps Chavez. And Castro. because then these dumbasses like Penn and Glover and Oliver Stone then talk about how WONDERFUL they are. And the doe eyed sheep lick it up.

because Chavez is ALL ABOUT freedom of the press...individual freedom, etc...

Useful idiots indeed.

riiight...he expressed concern that the presidency would be turned over to someone with so little experience...like...no REAL experience at all...

ummm.....

No... actually that it would be handed over to an idiot. And like I said, many people agreed, including myself. She might be a good mascot being the mouthpiece for the Tea Party, but she has yet to prove to me that her inteligence extends beyond the constitution. Not to mention she has yet to prove to me she understands and accepts that there are people with different opinions than hers. These issues she feels she needed to put herself in are far more complicated than she makes them out to be. She's a mascot and will never become president (thank God).

Back
Top Bottom