• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do black people scare you?

I can't imagine anyone mistaken you for offensive, you're such a sweetheart Maggs.

might have something to do with her concealed carry

might have something to do with her concealed carry

You think she's hiding the nasty from our eyes? A good bowl of herb and a trip to Sandals Antigua might just reveal the nature of this naughty act?

Jokes are not always funny. At least not to everyone.

In this case it wasn't much of a joke. More a blanket statement of not trusting Jews. Kind of lame. Most Jews I know have no problem with ethnic jokes but branding a race of people as not trustworthy isn't funny to those of that race.

Better Jewish joke: What is Jewish foreplay? 4 hours of begging.

Look up Henny Youngman. Fantastic comedian specializing in one liners. Saw him in Atlantic City live.

Well, it was funny because the topic was why blacks are scary and he interjected Jews who are so NOT considered to be scary. That is a comedic device used in comedy called a "switch." A surprise.

It's funny.

It was also, of course, a little inappropriate, but not bigotry.

It would have been funny if the joke was based on "scary Jews" but it wasn't. It was based on trustworthiness.

In this case it wasn't much of a joke. More a blanket statement of not trusting Jews. Kind of lame. Most Jews I know have no problem with ethnic jokes but branding a race of people as not trustworthy isn't funny to those of that race.

Look up Henny Youngman. Fantastic comedian specializing in one liners. Saw him in Atlantic City live.
It wasn't a very good joke. I can completely agree with that statement. Offensive to Jewish people? Yeah, probably, but not a very big deal unless someone that's Jewish believes that there is some sort of reason why Jewish people aren't trustworthy. To be fair, I don't trust anyone but using nobody in my "joke" wouldn't have worked very well whatsoever. I generally save my best stuff for open mic at the senior center so I do apologize for any offense that may have been taken.

I had a work mate who was black and talked like an educated white man at work, but when I drove him downtown to his neighborhood he broke out in Ebonics. I asked him why the change and he said, "If I talk like a white man up in here they'll hand my ass to me". He said that's the ugly truth of it, we don't want to appear as sellouts to the white culture.

I had to laugh. I am not sure there is an official term for it, but find myself breaking into the Hispanic version of Ebonics depending on whose company I am in. Even in a group, we all "talk like a white man" when a non-Hispanic walks up to the group. Then revert back when they leave.

First of all, I find that "talk like a white man" is a misnomer being that my white friends and family also have a different way of talking in a business environment or mixed company.

But back to the OP. Why in the world would anyone be afraid of skin pigment?

I had to laugh. I am not sure there is an official term for it, but find myself breaking into the Hispanic version of Ebonics depending on whose company I am in. Even in a group, we all "talk like a white man" when a non-Hispanic walks up to the group. Then revert back when they leave.

First of all, I find that "talk like a white man" is a misnomer being that my white friends and family also have a different way of talking in a business environment or mixed company.

But back to the OP. Why in the world would anyone be afraid of skin pigment?

You actually answered your own question. 'Shorteh's fire burning up the dance floor' isn't in my Ebonics but it's acceptable.

It wasn't a very good joke. I can completely agree with that statement. Offensive to Jewish people? Yeah, probably, but not a very big deal unless someone that's Jewish believes that there is some sort of reason why Jewish people aren't trustworthy. To be fair, I don't trust anyone but using nobody in my "joke" wouldn't have worked very well whatsoever. I generally save my best stuff for open mic at the senior center so I do apologize for any offense that may have been taken.

Not a big deal. Looking back I took "distrustful" as lack of trustworthiness as opposed to scared. Which is why it didn't make much sense but if you substituted frightened I think it would have worked.

Not a big deal. Looking back I took "distrustful" as lack of trustworthiness as opposed to scared. Which is why it didn't make much sense but if you substituted frightened I think it would have worked.
I think "a little nervous around" would have worked as well. I definitely don't dislike any racial or religious groups of people. If I had to choose a group of people that I don't like, I would definitely choose politicians. I've never seen a class of people with such a lack of integrity.

I was shopping today in my local Walmart, which rarely has any black people and it was different today. There were 50% more than usual and a few of the males I walked by were talking about the recent killings. They were also eyeballing me pretty hard but causing no trouble. I'm often asked if I'm a cop, I guess because I workout and have short hair, not sure.

The atmosphere was definitely tense and different, making me wonder are others feeling any changes? I'm pretty much color blind, until someone gives me a reason not to be.

You mean sort of like in "The Birds"?

But no. Black people do not scare me especially, though, I did see a study that seemed to say that the darker a person's complexion the less that person is trusted in most cultures including African. But I guess we are equipped with a radar that warns us of nasty Whites or Arabs or Hispanics by their gesticulation and cloths and all.

Last edited:

Henny!

Funny guy.

I think "a little nervous around" would have worked as well. I definitely don't dislike any racial or religious groups of people. If I had to choose a group of people that I don't like, I would definitely choose politicians. I've never seen a class of people with such a lack of integrity.

Anyone over 50 with jet black hair.

Of course not. I live, work, and hang with an extremely diverse crowd so maybe I'm just not into looking at skin color. If I do get nervous around someone it would be a crackhead. You can never trust a crackhead.

I was shopping today in my local Walmart, which rarely has any black people and it was different today. There were 50% more than usual and a few of the males I walked by were talking about the recent killings. They were also eyeballing me pretty hard but causing no trouble. I'm often asked if I'm a cop, I guess because I workout and have short hair, not sure.

The atmosphere was definitely tense and different, making me wonder are others feeling any changes? I'm pretty much color blind, until someone gives me a reason not to be.

I thought about this before, when someone would say "then why do White people cross the street, when a Black person is coming towards them."
I almost agreed, until I thought a little harder.

It depends on the person and it's not limited to Black people.
I avoid White people that adopt the dress of attitude of hostility (aka overly loud rednecks) and Hispanics who adopt the Cholo style and attitude.
It's not the race, but the adopted image, when I would cross the street.

Jesus people . . . are you ****ing kidding me? There's so much of this type of thing in this forum lately I really swear some of you guys are just trying to prank us.

Well be fair now.
Some folks come live in places where minorities are like rare pokemon.

Like Goshin, Black people make up about 30% of the population here and Hispanic folks are about 5-10%.
So for some of us, they aren't unicorns but rather normalized.

Well be fair now.
Some folks come live in places where minorities are like rare pokemon.

Like Goshin, Black people make up about 30% of the population here and Hispanic folks are about 5-10%.
So for some of us, they aren't unicorns but rather normalized.

LOL like "rare pokémon". :lol:

On the kid side of things, I work in a very diverse school. I've been teaching since 2004. I can only think of a couple kids (and parents) who I have been a bit afraid of based on things they've said and things they've done -- they've all been white.

I thought about this before, when someone would say "then why do White people cross the street, when a Black person is coming towards them."
I almost agreed, until I thought a little harder.

It depends on the person and it's not limited to Black people.
I avoid White people that adopt the dress of attitude of hostility (aka overly loud rednecks) and Hispanics who adopt the Cholo style and attitude.
It's not the race, but the adopted image, when I would cross the street.[/QUOTE

"Jesse Jackson > Quotes > Quotable Quote
Jesse Jackson
“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/5978-there-is-nothing-more-painful-to-me-at-this-stage

What amazes me are the liberals who claim to see nothing strange in two young black men on a warm summer night walking up to a 7-11 store and putting their hoodies up before they go in.

"Jesse Jackson > Quotes > Quotable Quote
Jesse Jackson
“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/5978-there-is-nothing-more-painful-to-me-at-this-stage

What amazes me are the liberals who claim to see nothing strange in two young black men on a warm summer night walking up to a 7-11 store and putting their hoodies up before they go in.

Well, I've never seen that happen, but there are certainly other situations that I was a bit unnerved and given the area, it was warranted.
Then again, I've felt this way about both Whites and Blacks and again it was justified.

There's an area near my work(White backwoods) where they used to make moon shine and grow weed.
Anyone there, White or Black, that wasn't supposed to be there, was in danger of not making it back after dark.

Nasty attitude, rude behavior, lack of etiquette scares me.

Back
Top Bottom