• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Do away with public education as we know it

I have this to say about our public school system. It rocks.

What you say? But we're not at the top of the world in education. It's the culture stupid. It's the kids who have been raised on PS2 and whose parents look at school like a cheap babysitter. It's school. It's not a miracle worker. You get out what you put in. That includes the parents as well as the students. I attended most of my schooling in the public schools of Colorado. 49th state in school funding. By all accounts, I should be barely literate. But no. I had a very supportive mother who pushed me to succeed. I tried in school. I did my homework. My schools, from elementary to high school, all had some sort of gifted/high achiever program. If you tried you got in. And it paid off. I'm not going to number drop, but I will say my SATs were comparable to any private school. And that's from a public schooling education.

Stop blaming the damn school. Get off your ass and help your kid with his algebra homework.

Well, I don't really like the systems we have in our country. I think the timing of day sucks, the methods used are crappy, and that the way in which classes are structured is poor. I think we can do better if we take some of the ideas from more successful contries--successful in some respects, anyway.

You are also right, though, that the culture itself is also to blame. We live in a time of cliffnotes and mindrot.

Personally, I think we need a different class structure, curriculum, and new way of dealing with troublemakers (at least from what I have seen and experienced, I don't like it).

I am not convinced, however, that going private will fix the problem. That's awefully simplistic and overlooking a lot of what actually goes into making private schools successful compared to public.

I don't have any kids and I don't plan on it. I hate children

Technocratic_Utilitarian said:
Well, I don't really like the systems we have in our country. I think the timing of day sucks, the methods used are crappy, and that the way in which classes are structured is poor. I think we can do better if we take some of the ideas from more successful contries--successful in some respects, anyway.

You are also right, though, that the culture itself is also to blame. We live in a time of cliffnotes and mindrot.

Personally, I think we need a different class structure, curriculum, and new way of dealing with troublemakers (at least from what I have seen and experienced, I don't like it).

I am not convinced, however, that going private will fix the problem. That's awefully simplistic and overlooking a lot of what actually goes into making private schools successful compared to public.

I don't have any kids and I don't plan on it. I hate children

I stand by my statement that anybody in our system can make it if they apply themselves and have support. And isn't the opportunity what it's all about anyway?

On this issue of education-I don't think we can ever completely do away with public education because people will demand it anyway. I think maybe we should make high school more like college and that might solve some problems.

Back
Top Bottom