• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do American healthcare costs represent a broken market?

I actually don't want cheap medical care, or doctors who are trying to price bargain in order to get a competitive advantage, which means cutting corners. I don't think I'd opt for $50 brain surgery anymore than I want a Yugo. I want doctors to focus on professionalism in providing medical care, not hustling for profits like used car salesmen

So it isn't a good thing to have a choice of products and prices? If you don't want a Yugo, then you can opt for a nicer car, but if all you have is the money for a Yugo, buying a Yugo may be better than going without.

Health care simply isn't a typical market for the reasons cited. What people want is to get quality professional health care when they need it without going bankrupt and without going through the kind of stressful transaction costs (negotiations) that you would in buying a second hand end table at a swap meet. There are systems that provide that in the world. Ours doesn't. That's why we are falling behind in health outcomes.

Most people in the world would love to have a Yugo and would consider it a quality ride, when compared to no ride.

Finally, and this is critical, health care involves more than individual health. It involves public health. For individuals to remain healthy the entire society has to avoid bad health outcomes (like people with flu not going to the doctors because they can't afford it). So it's in everybody's interest that everybody get health care, not just those of us who are rich enough to afford it.

Sure, so the real issue here is price. Price and quality competition tends to decrease price while increasing quality.

(Not to mention that it's immoral to deny health care to people because they lack funds).

Is it immoral to deny someone a Rolls Royce just because they can't afford one? Probably not, thats why it's important that we have lower priced options, like the Yugo you mentioned. If our only crises is cost, then bringing down cost is the only solution.

you asked how access was guaranteed. i answered the question.

It seems to me that it is guaranteed moreso by the low prices offered by the market.

it means that we live in the bread basket of the world. food is plentiful and inexpensive. it's also not analogous.

Sure, the first colonists of America NEVER starved . . .

no, i go wherever is close and that my health insurance considers in network.

I'm not going to keep having this discussion with you if you can't separate when I'm speaking hypothetically and when I'm speaking about our current situation.

once again, food is not analogous. if they start charging $1,200 a pound for apples, i can eat oranges. or i can not eat fruit at all. if i have serious pneumonia, however, i can't just decide the price is too high. it's my ass on the line, and i have to pay whatever they ask. if i can't pay, i can either go bankrupt or default on the charge. then you get to pay for my treatment in the form of higher premiums.

Who is they? If one company starts charging $1200 for apples, then no one buys their apples and they go to another company. Do you not understand how competition works?

and we never will. a market for essential services with inelastic demand (and which is largely location dependent) cannot and will not happen outside of the big table at the Cato institute where they dream about it. if your kid is seriously ill and the price is a hundred bucks, you pay it. if your kid is seriously ill and the price is a thousand bucks, you pay it. if your kid is seriously ill and the price is a million bucks, you default, and everyone else pays it.

You know what else has inelastic demand? Gasoline. It seems to me that the market has provided thoroughly there.

this disconnect from reality in favor of a theory is a big part of why i'm no longer a libertarian. a free market for essential health care will not happen in real life. that's why it's best to guarantee care (which we already do in the most stupid, inefficient way possible) through a single payer entity which will have more power to force prices down. there are other things we need to do along with that, but this is the biggest piece of the solution.

If your understanding of economics is this sparse then it is understandable that you don't appreciate the libertarian position.

It seems to me that it is guaranteed moreso by the low prices offered by the market.

there will not be a free market for a service which has inelastic demand, which death or chronic illness can result from not purchasing, and which is location dependent.

Sure, the first colonists of America NEVER starved . . .

the food supply in colonial America =/= the food supply in modern America.

and once, again, food is not analogous.

I'm not going to keep having this discussion with you if you can't separate when I'm speaking hypothetically and when I'm speaking about our current situation.

in your hypothetical example, i would go to the nearest hospital or health care provider. my town is 30 miles from anything, and has one hospital.

Who is they? If one company starts charging $1200 for apples, then no one buys their apples and they go to another company. Do you not understand how competition works?

do you not understand how health care works? in a dynamic where someone's life is on the line, you don't sit down with a phone book and decide whether you should drive halfway across the state because they'll treat your broken leg more cheaply. you get in the damned ambulance and go get treatment.

You know what else has inelastic demand? Gasoline. It seems to me that the market has provided thoroughly there.

yeah, i just filled up this morning. great market. also not analogous.

i also think we should throw out the gasoline model, by the way, for a number of reasons.

If your understanding of economics is this sparse then it is understandable that you don't appreciate the libertarian position.

great zinger, but it does very little to prop up your argument. there isn't a market-only solution for health care. as i previously stated, we should guarantee access and do it in a more intelligent way. this will have one big market benefit : employers will no longer be health care providers, which they shouldn't be anyway. nobody else does that because it's stupid, and it's a huge drag on employers of all sizes.

there will not be a free market for a service which has inelastic demand, which death or chronic illness can result from not purchasing, and which is location dependent.

There are markets for plenty of goods that have inelastic demand. You're not answering WHY a market for goods that have inelastic demand could not have a market.

the food supply in colonial America =/= the food supply in modern America.

and once, again, food is not analogous.

Then why is the food supply greater? Why is it not analogous? Would people not die without food?

in your hypothetical example, i would go to the nearest hospital or health care provider. my town is 30 miles from anything, and has one hospital.

And if that local hospital was charging 10x more what a hospital 5 miles away was charging they would go out of business.

do you not understand how health care works? in a dynamic where someone's life is on the line, you don't sit down with a phone book and decide whether you should drive halfway across the state because they'll treat your broken leg more cheaply. you get in the damned ambulance and go get treatment.

Sure, but why are these hospital with exorbitant prices existing with free competition? It seems to me that they would be driven out of business because not many people would go there.

yeah, i just filled up this morning. great market. also not analogous.

i also think we should throw out the gasoline model, by the way, for a number of reasons.

Funny how all of these counter examples you say are not analogous. Incredibly convenient.

great zinger, but it does very little to prop up your argument. there isn't a market-only solution for health care. as i previously stated, we should guarantee access and do it in a more intelligent way. this will have one big market benefit : employers will no longer be health care providers, which they shouldn't be anyway. nobody else does that because it's stupid, and it's a huge drag on employers of all sizes.

Why isn't there a market solution? You're far from stating the case.

Producing whatever people want is not how you fix a broken market. People want a lot and want to pay little to nothing. Big surprise, but that doesn't solve squat.

The flu is not causing our cost problems. Nor is any other contagion. The public health excuse is just that, an excuse.

Your opinion of what is moral is warped by a profound sense of entitlement.

Oooooh, scary rightwing word: entitlement.

I wish it were an entitlement, but regrettably it's not, since millions of poor people don't get quality health care. What I said (and you didn't hear it since you have a rightwing script running in your head) is that is immoral for rich people to get health care and poor people not to get it. It's immoral to let poor kids die on the street because they can't afford a doctor. Period

I'm glad you've admitted that you think it is moral to let the poor die for lack of health care. It shows how morally bankrupt conservatism is.

Sure, so the real issue here is price. Price and quality competition tends to decrease price while increasing quality.

Actually no, it's not just price, since as I pointed out, life is too short to negotiate your heart surgery in a meaningful manner. You are simply ignoring transaction costs which in terms of time and information gathering, are prohibitively high in the health care market.

If you doubt me, just try to figure out how your health insurance compares with another policy. Good luck. I'm a lawyer and I can figure it out -- if I spend about three straight days of indepth analysis. And then if the policy changes, I have to analyze it again.

But even if it is just about price, we tried the for-profit system. It failed. We know why it failed. Market flaws. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of psychosis.

Is it immoral to deny someone a Rolls Royce just because they can't afford one? Probably not, thats why it's important that we have lower priced options, like the Yugo you mentioned. If our only crises is cost, then bringing down cost is the only solution.

Since health care isn't a vehicle but rather the difference between life and death, the comparison is meaningless. Not only that health care is a zero sum game. Car producers can produce Rolls Royces and Yugos, but our system can't produce high tech Rolls Royce health care for the wealthy, and affordable health care for the poor. The type of market we have cannot produce health care for the poor because it's for profit and based on income. That may be OK if the product is a consumer good. But health care isn't a consumer good. It's life or death.

So you've missed the point. It's Rolls Royces and nothing else, and only a few people get to drive.

I wish it were an entitlement, but regrettably it's not, since millions of poor people don't get quality health care.

You're saying US hospitals do not provide quality health care? Because all poor people get hospital care by simply showing up.

What I said (and you didn't hear it since you have a rightwing script running in your head) is that is immoral for rich people to get health care and poor people not to get it.

This is the same thing as saying it is immoral for one person to sell his services to another person in exchange for money. Again, what you think is moral is warped by your sense of entitlement.

It's immoral to let poor kids die on the street because they can't afford a doctor. Period

Good thing kids are minors, who are legitimately entitled to their needs being met by their guardians. Adults on the other hand are not children, therefore they have a responsibility to meet their own needs. I'm sorry that bothers you so deeply. Some people never want the responsibility of adulthood, I guess.

There are markets for plenty of goods that have inelastic demand. You're not answering WHY a market for goods that have inelastic demand could not have a market.

i've already explained this specific case thoroughly.

Then why is the food supply greater? Why is it not analogous? Would people not die without food?

one can purchase many different kinds of food at various prices anywhere. my town has one hospital. my town has many dozens of restaurants and grocery stores. it's not analogous.

And if that local hospital was charging 10x more what a hospital 5 miles away was charging they would go out of business.

there is no competing hospital 5 miles away. if there was a market only solution, there still would be no second hospital. you might get more hospitals built in urban areas, but not in rural or suburban areas. the population density just doesn't support it.

Sure, but why are these hospital with exorbitant prices existing with free competition? It seems to me that they would be driven out of business because not many people would go there.

one probably would out compete the other. then there would be one hospital again, which could again raise prices. there simply aren't enough people in many areas to support two hospitals, especially if there's a price war going on. and if there was a price war going on, we'd get the added benefit of cutting corners to cut costs. i'm very much for reducing costs, but i don't want it done that way. i would prefer removing the artificial barriers to med school to increase the supply of physicians who would then be paid less. i also support redesigning the drug approval process so that it doesn't cost a billion dollars to get to phase three.

as for the setup of the system, i'd like to see something closer to what other first world countries are doing.

Funny how all of these counter examples you say are not analogous. Incredibly convenient.

and incredibly true.

Why isn't there a market solution? You're far from stating the case.

refer to earlier posts.

You're saying US hospitals do not provide quality health care? Because all poor people get hospital care by simply showing up.

Actually they don't. You don't even understand the rules. But in any case, you're against the federal rule that require at least one county hospital to meet emergency needs, right.

So why pretend your for it? Oh, I forgot, it's because your can't make an honest argument.

This is the same thing as saying it is immoral for one person to sell his services to another person in exchange for money. Again, what you think is moral is warped by your sense of entitlement.

No, it's not, but I'm glad you think health care for dying poor kids is the same as selling DVD players. It's very telling how morally bankrupt conservatism is.

Good thing kids are minors, who are legitimately entitled to their needs being met by their guardians. Adults on the other hand are not children, therefore they have a responsibility to meet their own needs. I'm sorry that bothers you so deeply. Some people never want the responsibility of adulthood, I guess.

Jesus. More dishonesty. If the parents can't afford the health care, your answer is let the kids die. Perfect teabagger.

Actually they don't. You don't even understand the rules. But in any case, you're against the federal rule that require at least one county hospital to meet emergency needs, right.

So why pretend your for it? Oh, I forgot, it's because your can't make an honest argument.

Our laws entitle people to medical attention when they show up at hospitals. The only reason they'd be turned away is if they had no medical issue and were just malingering.

And I don't pretend I support this. I support cost control by way of introducing elasticity into the demand for it by making it cash-only.

No, it's not, but I'm glad you think health care for dying poor kids is the same as selling DVD players. It's for of telling how morally bankrupt conservatism is.

Your appeals to pity fallacies (that's what argumentum ad misericordiam is) have been repeated so many times it could virtually put me to sleep from boredom. Children are legitimately entitled to their needs being met by the external. Adults are not. There is no risk of children dying in the streets.

If the parents can't afford the health care, your answer is let the kids die. Perfect teabagger.

I'm not letting their children die. I don't have responsibility over their children. They do. If they can't handle that responsibility, then they are unfit parents and someone else should be the guardian.

But you fail to grasp that prices would come down into affordability if it were not for insurance and welfare programs giving them virtually perfectly inelastic demand structures.

Actually no, it's not just price, since as I pointed out, life is too short to negotiate your heart surgery in a meaningful manner. You are simply ignoring transaction costs which in terms of time and information gathering, are prohibitively high in the health care market.

Not really. It's not so much direct negotiation that lowers the price as it is price competition. When you go to Best Buy to purchase a tv, there is probably not a lot of negotiating room, but thats because they already have reasonable prices that are kept in check by competition. It's the price competition that our current system lacks, and thats due to having a third party pay for our medical purchases. When someone else pays, we don't bother to price shop.

If you doubt me, just try to figure out how your health insurance compares with another policy. Good luck. I'm a lawyer and I can figure it out -- if I spend about three straight days of indepth analysis. And then if the policy changes, I have to analyze it again.
Which is the reason that health insurance policies should be standardized, and identical, and purchased as a large group policy paid for by the guberment.

But even if it is just about price, we tried the for-profit system. It failed. We know why it failed. Market flaws. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is the definition of psychosis.
Again, that market flaw is due to the third party payer system that disincentivizes price shopping and thus price competition.

Since health care isn't a vehicle but rather the difference between life and death, the comparison is meaningless.

Aren't you forgetting that YOU are the one who opened the door to that comparison?

Not only that health care is a zero sum game. Car producers can produce Rolls Royces and Yugos, but our system can't produce high tech Rolls Royce health care for the wealthy, and affordable health care for the poor. The type of market we have cannot produce health care for the poor because it's for profit and based on income. That may be OK if the product is a consumer good. But health care isn't a consumer good. It's life or death.

So you've missed the point. It's Rolls Royces and nothing else, and only a few people get to drive.

Health care IS a consumer product. Without consumers, no one would "make" it.

Our laws entitle people to medical attention when they show up at hospitals. The only reason they'd be turned away is if they had no medical issue and were just malingering.

Regrettably, that's not the law. But I bet your against it, so why bring it up?

And I don't pretend I support this. I support cost control by way of introducing elasticity into the demand for it by making it cash-only.

So you were being dishonest when you pretended that a law that doesn't exist provides health care to the poor. That's complex.

Your appeals to pity fallacies (that's what argumentum ad misericordiam is) have been repeated so many times it could virtually put me to sleep from boredom. Children are legitimately entitled to their needs being met by the external. Adults are not. There is no risk of children dying in the streets.

So you're for Medicaid. Wait, you aren't. Make up your mind!

I'm not letting their children die. I don't have responsibility over their children. They do. If they can't handle that responsibility, then they are unfit parents and someone else should be the guardian.

You wash your hands of those poor kids. Thanks for the moral obtuseness. I expect as much from conservatives and they never disappoint.

So the way to provide health care to poor kids from poor families is to start a guardianship proceeding.

BWHHAHAHHAHAHAH! I love the lunacy that is conservatism.

But you fail to grasp that prices would come down into affordability if it were not for insurance and welfare programs giving them virtually perfectly inelastic demand structures.

Actually price wouldn't go down for well known reasons, but even if it did the mechanism only works if somebody can't afford to pay for it. An excellent model for DVD players. Not for cancer treatment. That sort of sums up market evangelists: moral obtuse and wrong model.

The overwhelming evidence from healthcare systems around the world, is that single payer systems work better than than the US for-profit system.

Not really. It's not so much direct negotiation that lowers the price as it is price competition. When you go to Best Buy to purchase a tv, there is probably not a lot of negotiating room, but thats because they already have reasonable prices that are kept in check by competition. It's the price competition that our current system lacks, and thats due to having a third party pay for our medical purchases. When someone else pays, we don't bother to price shop.

This misstates the market. You shop for medical insurance, and the insurance company bargains with the HC provider. So you already have what you want. It's failed. And we know why it failed.

Repairs for casualty loss to homes are also usually paid for by insurance. But home repair cost doesn't go up and up by 15% a year like medical care. That's because it's a different market. So your analysis is flawed. It's not whether insurance pays; it's the type of market.

Insurance would only be a problem in the health care market if its cost wasn't encompassing some large externalities. But that's not the case. I doubt you feel you're paying too little for health insurance. It's true that HC providers costs may be leaving out certain externalities (like the obligation of some hospital to treat the poor and eat the loss). But that's not a general problem. Basically, HC providers negotiate a price with payors (either insurance companies, the government or individuals) with tremendous bargain power on their side. No case can be made that HC providers in this country are underpaid.

Which is the reason that health insurance policies should be standardized, and identical, and purchased as a large group policy paid for by the guberment.

No argument there. But you'd still be comparing apples and oranges and it would still take incredible investments in time and information gathering to compare. If a policy stated that it didn't cover a long list of heart infarction treatments but covered a long list of others, would you be able to intelligently compare it to another policy with another list without going to medical school. I doubt it.

Again, that market flaw is due to the third party payer system that disincentivizes price shopping and thus price competition.

No, that is a myth. Other markets have high insurance profiles without huge inflation. Insurance companies have bargaining power and probably can get lower prices than you could negotiate (indeed that's been established since hospitals bill individuals who don't have insurance a huge amount more than those who do). So you already have a "free market" with parties negotiating prices (and insurance companies are better at it then you I assure you) Indeed, the health care market is dominated by for-profit actors with fierce competition, from drug companies to hospitals to doctors to insurance companies to drug stores. Still, prices rise every year often ten times the inflation rate.

The market flaws in heath care are well known. Insurance doesn't make things better, but it's not a key problem.

Aren't you forgetting that YOU are the one who opened the door to that comparison?

Just using flair to make a point: quality health care costs dough. You can't get it on the cheap. So no market can provide cheap health care. If you actually think you can get quality health care at bargain basement prices, I have a used Yugo I'd be happy to sell you.

Health care IS a consumer product. Without consumers, no one would "make" it.

No, it's not. Anymore than water is. It's a necessity of life, which if a society can't provide, time to change society. If a system can't provide water to anybody but the rich, we'd have a revolution tomorrow. Health care is a slow revolution. It's becoming increasing dysfunctional, and a privilege of the rich. Time to change that.

Last edited:
The overwhelming evidence from healthcare systems around the world, is that single payer systems work better than than the US for-profit system.

Exactly. The jury is in. Americans are simply stuck on stupid thinking "free markets" (they already have one) can make health care affordable when a market in health care has fundamental market flaws that can never be overcome.

To pretend that obtaining health care follows the same rules as buying used cutlery at a swap meet shows an incredible gap in economic knowledge.

That may be true, but is it not possible that we could come up with something even better than socialized medicine?

This misstates the market. You shop for medical insurance, and the insurance company bargains with the HC provider. So you already have what you want. It's failed. And we know why it failed.

Nope. I don't want individuals or their employer to have to shop for medical insurance, nor do I want insurance companies to set prices for medical care (which is what they do now). I want the competitive market to set prices.

Repairs for casualty loss to homes are also usually paid for by insurance. But home repair cost doesn't go up and up by 15% a year like medical care. That's because it's a different market. So your analysis is flawed. It's not whether insurance pays; it's the type of market.

Thats largely because contractors don't get most of their work from insurance companies. Most of their work is new construction or upgrades.

Insurance would only be a problem in the health care market if its cost wasn't encompassing some large externalities. But that's not the case. I doubt you feel you're paying too little for health insurance. It's true that HC providers costs may be leaving out certain externalities (like the obligation of some hospital to treat the poor and eat the loss). But that's not a general problem. Basically, HC providers negotiate a price with payors (either insurance companies, the government or individuals) with tremendous bargain power on their side.

Their negotiations are minimum, and essentially amount to getting a discount off an already jacked up price, pretty much like jewelery stores do. Any individual without insurance can get the same discount rate for not having insurance, I know, because I have ask for uninsured discounts and have received them with no questions asked. Insurance companies actually want health care costs to be expensive. The more unaffordable health care is, the more that insurance companies can justify their existence and their high prices for insurance.

No case can be made that HC providers in this country are underpaid.

I will agree with that. And it's because they don't have to compete on price.

Last edited:
If you haven't yet I recommend watching the next video in the series.

Exactly. The jury is in. Americans are simply stuck on stupid thinking "free markets" (they already have one) ...

You might as well stop right there. We do not have the normal free market forces in the health care market. What we have is largely a third party payer system, which is broken.

To pretend that health care is anything other than a consumer good which can be purchased on an individual need bases and can exist within the normal free market, shows an incredible gap in economic knowledge.

Nope. I don't want individuals or their employer to have to shop for medical insurance, nor do I want insurance companies to set prices for medical care (which is what they do now). I want the competitive market to set prices.

Thats largely because contractors don't get most of their work from insurance companies. Most of their work is new construction or upgrades.

Their negotiations are minimum, and essentially amount to getting a discount off an already jacked up price, pretty much like jewelery stores do. Any individual without insurance can get the same discount rate for not having insurance, I know, because I have ask for uninsured discounts and have received them with no questions asked. Insurance companies actually want health care costs to be expensive. The more unaffordable health care is, the more that insurance companies can justify their existence and their high prices for insurance.

I will agree with that. And it's because they don't have to compete on price.

This is simply nonfactual. Pharmaceutical companies, doctors, hospitals, insurance companies, drug stores, medical device manufacturers are all in competition. Most of them are for profit (the only exception being some hospitals). Not only that, there is very little vertical integration in the HC market: doctors don't usually own hospitals and pharmaceutical companies; drug companies don't own hospitals; hospitals don't hire doctors. It's set up for optimal price competition.

So what "extra" competition do you want to add? You going to the hospital and bargaining with them? Like I say, your insurance company already does that, and they're real good at it (better than any individual at least), and you can pick the companies that are better at it than others. Not only that, if you want you can dump your insurer and negotiate on your own. Lots of luck with that.

Except for Medicare, it's a free market free for all (and Medicare is one of the few limiting factors in price since it negotiates down prices). That's the problem not the solution. Free markets don't work for products that people need (that's why we have price supports for important food items and why electricity is a utility). Zero price elasticity despite all the competition. So you simply have the wrong model.

Last edited:
i've already explained this specific case thoroughly.

Saying that you did something does not make it true.

one can purchase many different kinds of food at various prices anywhere. my town has one hospital. my town has many dozens of restaurants and grocery stores. it's not analogous.

There is only one doctor in your town? Fascinating . . .

there is no competing hospital 5 miles away. if there was a market only solution, there still would be no second hospital. you might get more hospitals built in urban areas, but not in rural or suburban areas. the population density just doesn't support it.

It doesn't matter. Unless there is some barrier to getting in there a hospital with high prices would soon face significant outside competition.

one probably would out compete the other. then there would be one hospital again, which could again raise prices. there simply aren't enough people in many areas to support two hospitals, especially if there's a price war going on. and if there was a price war going on, we'd get the added benefit of cutting corners to cut costs. i'm very much for reducing costs, but i don't want it done that way. i would prefer removing the artificial barriers to med school to increase the supply of physicians who would then be paid less. i also support redesigning the drug approval process so that it doesn't cost a billion dollars to get to phase three.

as for the setup of the system, i'd like to see something closer to what other first world countries are doing.

Like I said, you don't understand competition. If one is charging too much, that's a profit opportunity and they get undercut. This process never stops.

refer to earlier posts.

No, it's not there.

You might as well stop right there. We do not have the normal free market forces in the health care market. What we have is largely a third party payer system, which is broken.

To pretend that health care is anything other than a consumer good which can be purchased on an individual need bases and can exist within the normal free market, shows an incredible gap in economic knowledge.

Your claim that insurance somehow vitiates a "free market" is false. There is no contradiction between competition and insurance. Where did you get this idea from? Show me your data.

I have car insurance. Every single driver in California does by law It's relatively cheap. But the point is, neither it nor the pay outs go up by 15% every year like health care does. This rebuts your claim on its face.

Last edited:
Regrettably, that's not the law. But I bet your against it, so why bring it up?

Because you falsely alleged poor people can't receive health care.

So you're for Medicaid. Wait, you aren't. Make up your mind!

I have made up my mind that children are entitled to whatever they need, and that adults are not.

Actually price wouldn't go down for well known reasons, but even if it did the mechanism only works if somebody can't afford to pay for it. An excellent model for DVD players. Not for cancer treatment. That sort of sums up market evangelists: moral obtuse and wrong model.

Providers of medical care would not stay in business if they offer a service no one can pay for, and therefore there would be tremendous incentive to develop treatments people would actually pay for directly, removing entirely the inefficiency of administering cost sharing insurance/welfare programs.

There most certainly is a debate about that. Have you ever tried to get a price for a specific service from the hospital? Even an x-ray?

Call your local hospital. Let me know.

Actually.. thanks to the Obama administration, that information is now public.

Hospital pricing gouges patients: Our view

The list clearly shows a broken system, with the same procedure costing 10x more at a hospital a few miles down the road.

https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statis.../Medicare-Provider-Charge-Data/Inpatient.html

in the database you can see places like in LA where a treatment for pneumonia varies by 100k... or a joint replacement in New York City area varies from 15k to 155k.. for the same procedure.

And the reason for this is simple.. lack of information, lack of consumer power and a total lack of oversight, transparency and accountability of the healthcare industry. For decades almost all legislation in the area has been written almost directly by the industry it self. A classic example is the Bush Medicare Part D legislation that outright banned Medicare in negotiating for cheaper prices for drugs... yes Obama broke his promise to change this.. he sucks bla bla,.. point is, it is just one of many examples of legislation protecting the industry and hurting the consumer and taxpayer.

As long as Congress is the pocket of the healthcare industry.. even with Obamacare.. then nothing will change. The irony with the whole repeal Obamacare bandwagon.. they have no alternative other than letting the industry keep running amok and screwing over the population. When Americans go to Mexico and India for healthcare because of costs.. then you know there is something seriously wrong. When an European with a broken leg is airlifted back to Europe to set the leg, because an airlift is cheaper than getting care at a US hospital.. then you know there is something seriously wrong.

Because you falsely alleged poor people can't receive health care.

So your rebuttal is that they can, but they shouldn't. Perfect.

I have made up my mind that children are entitled to whatever they need, and that adults are not.

Keep dancing.

Providers of medical care would not stay in business if they offer a service no one can pay for, and therefore there would be tremendous incentive to develop treatments people would actually pay for directly, removing entirely the inefficiency of administering cost sharing insurance/welfare programs.

Yeah, we tried that. It failed. Hence the rise of insurance and medicare.

It's as if history started yesterday with conservatives.

Back
Top Bottom