• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DNC Trumps RNC on Star Power

You do realize that Trump is a celebrity in his own right, right?

I care because he said he would get some star power at the convention and he couldn't even deliver that! That's pretty troubling, to me.

Welcome to "voting with the stars" the most logical way to (s)elect a POTUS. ;)

Both the RNC and the DNC compete for star power. The problem for celebrities is that outside of the sound studio or set, their magnetism substantially lessens and their words become very hollow. In the political arena, it is politicians who most seem to be capable of giving moving monologues. Meryl Streep gave it her best, and while she was the best celebrity at the DNC, she gave a middling performance.

Evaluating the star power at a political convention isn't especially persuasive.

What happened to the star power and pazazz that Donald Trump promised us would be at the RNC?? Scott Baio seems to have been the best he could come up with??? Seriously??? From all that promise of change Trump has made. Wouldn't one think that the RNC would be the perfect opportunity for Trump to showcase what his brand of reality television could bring to the boring snooze fest that conventions and dare I say government is?? If Scott Baio is the best change Trump can come up with, I want no part in it.

Did Trump's worldview get shaken when he realized none of his good hollywood friends or athletes would come speak for him??

For reference these are the stars that attended the DNC: A Handy Guide to all the Celebrities Attending the Democratic National Convention—and What They're Doing There | E! News

This is what Trump had to say for himself now that it's all over: Donald Trump Defends RNC: "I Wasn't Looking for Star Power, I Was Looking for Policy" - Hollywood Reporter
What a hypocritical loser!

Trump was "looking for policy?"

Because they sure as hell didn't spend much time actually talking about policy.

If a celebrity supports a candidate that's usually a red flag for me. Most of them have wretched personal lives and are not people of integrity. Their single achievement is looking good and being able to act in most cases.

Isn't that also the primary achievement of politicians?

Let's see....

Demi Lovato admitted she's mental.

Paul Simon looked like a lifeless corpse.

Sara Silverman was typically rude.

Al Franken was completely unknown to the crowd.

Meryl Streep was half drunk.

Celebrities? Please tell me you don't really give a **** what celebrities support a candidate.

It's not just about celebrities. It's also about integrity

Trump promised a star-studded convention. It speaks to his highly touted ability to negotiate. If he cant even get a Doogie Howser level celebrity to show up to his convention, how is he going to convince foreign leaders to cooperate?

It's not just about celebrities. It's also about integrity

Trump promised a star-studded convention. It speaks to his highly touted ability to negotiate. If he cant even get a Doogie Howser level celebrity to show up to his convention, how is he going to convince foreign leaders to cooperate?

congrats! You are one of the few who get the point.

For months..."This Trump guy is a joke. The Republicans have nominated an entertainer. Who cares what a celebrity thinks! He's a joke. They need a real politician who actually knows what's going on with things.

Suddenly..."Look at all these Entertainers lining up to tell us what they think and how much they know about things. How come Trump doesn't have that! We should all listen to these Celebrities"

I seriously need a hammer to continually bang me on the head during this election cycle, it's the only way I'll maintain my sanity after it.

See my previous post. It's not about what celebrities think. It's about the stark contrast in Trump's promises and supposed negotiating skills and his actual performance

Last edited:
Both the RNC and the DNC compete for star power. The problem for celebrities is that outside of the sound studio or set, their magnetism substantially lessens and their words become very hollow. In the political arena, it is politicians who most seem to be capable of giving moving monologues. Meryl Streep gave it her best, and while she was the best celebrity at the DNC, she gave a middling performance.

Evaluating the star power at a political convention isn't especially persuasive.

I thought Eva Longaria's introduction of Cory Booker was pretty good

congrats! You are one of the few who get the point.

I would also add that he "negotiated" with Ted Cruz. Cruz got a prime time appearance where he got to promote himself. In return, Trump got nothing. Not even a measly endorsement

Celebrities? Please tell me you don't really give a **** what celebrities support a candidate.

My take: Obviously Hillary attracts those most skilled at faking for a living!

I would also add that he "negotiated" with Ted Cruz. Cruz got a prime time appearance where he got to promote himself. In return, Trump got nothing. Not even a measly endorsement

I'd gladly take a few boos of Ted Cruz over a walkout of the convention.

What happened to the star power and pazazz that Donald Trump promised us would be at the RNC?? Scott Baio seems to have been the best he could come up with??? Seriously??? From all that promise of change Trump has made. Wouldn't one think that the RNC would be the perfect opportunity for Trump to showcase what his brand of reality television could bring to the boring snooze fest that conventions and dare I say government is?? If Scott Baio is the best change Trump can come up with, I want no part in it.

Did Trump's worldview get shaken when he realized none of his good hollywood friends or athletes would come speak for him??

For reference these are the stars that attended the DNC: A Handy Guide to all the Celebrities Attending the Democratic National Convention—and What They're Doing There | E! News

This is what Trump had to say for himself now that it's all over: Donald Trump Defends RNC: "I Wasn't Looking for Star Power, I Was Looking for Policy" - Hollywood Reporter
What a hypocritical loser!

You can get away with being a Democrat in the entertainment industry...not so much for Republicans, which is why you often see people who's careers are pretty much over with at the RNC.

Even Mittens got Clint Eastwood to show up with his chair.

You can get away with being a Democrat in the entertainment industry...not so much for Republicans, which is why you often see people who's careers are pretty much over with at the RNC.

Greetings, JC. :2wave:

Did you see the interesting list of 27 Hollywood Repubs on Yahoo this morning - some were very surprising to me, if only in their stated reasons for not being a Dem! Some apparently used to be Dems - but they changed parties and gave their reasons for doing so... :shock:

I, for one, make all of my decisions and form all of my opinions based on what celebrities tell me.

Did you see the interesting list of 27 Hollywood Repubs on Yahoo this morning - some were very surprising to me, if only in their stated reasons for not being a Dem! Some apparently used to be Dems - but they changed parties and gave their reasons for doing so... :shock:

Morning Polgara :2wave:

I couldn't find it. :( Please send me a link if you come across it again!

I thought Eva Longaria's introduction of Cory Booker was pretty good

I guess I wasn't impressed because I completely forgot about it and only remembered his speech.

Morning Polgara :2wave:

I couldn't find it. :( Please send me a link if you come across it again!

I just looked, and it's apparently been pulled, damn it! Unbelievable! I should have printed it out to save it, but who knew someone would find it objectionable! :2mad:

I remember 2 famous instances of actors who were closet Republicans because they had jobs they wanted to keep.

One was Kelsey Grammer. While he was working on Cheers, Ted Danson and a few of the others were collecting money for a Democratic politician - I believe Barbara Boxer. Grammer was deeply opposed to her but knew he had to keep his mouth shut in order to keep his job. I think he said he donated some money and then got drunk.

The other was Dixie Carter, who was one of the stars of Designing Women. Her bosses were the Bloodworth-Thomasons, who were pretty much best friends to the Clintons. She said she had to bite her tongue. I think her character was supposed to be a progressive left wing southern belle too, which she found really ironic.

There are probably more celebrities who are right wingers than we know. I can't imagine it's easy to do in that town.

Back
Top Bottom