• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

DNC Didn't Invite AOC to Speak - Sanders Had to Invite Her With a Nomination Slot

Surrealistik

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1296584700950175751

So the jist of it is that despite a supermajority of democrats wanting to hear from AOC at the convention, and despite being one of the most popular and notable democratic politicos in the country ( https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1295008521600282624 | CBS News Battleground Tracker, August 12 - 14, 2020.pdf - Google Drive ), AOC was not to get an invitation to speak at the Democratic National Convention at all, and in fact, Sanders had to give her one of his two nomination speaker slots to get her even the scant appearance that progressives rightly complained about as being inadequate. Meanwhile some mainstream media sources, despite obviously knowing better, are going after AOC for nominating Sanders in a traditional, procedural endorsement, or are lambasting her for not being supportive enough of Biden, lol ( Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez accuses NBC of spreading misinformation after DNC speech | US news | The Guardian ). You can't make this **** up.

I mean, it's sadly unsurprising. The Democratic establishment and certain allies are definitely apprehensive about her and the changing of the guard she and the Squad represents, recent losses of long time incumbents such as William Lacy Clay, Elliots Engel and Dan Lipinski to progressives ( two of these wins being huge upsets; Progressive Victories Signal Staying Power for the Movement - The New York Times ), and the crushing re-election of all Squad reps despite well-funded primary competitors, and thus seeks to minimize her exposure and prominence. Again, further continuation of the wagon circling behaviour we've seen throughout the primary and 2016.

More regressive posting to aid the GOP.

More regressive posting to aid the GOP.

More like justified progressive outrage at what is obviously a knowing stab in the eye, but think what you will; you're beyond hope.

So the jist of it is that despite a supermajority of democrats wanting to hear from AOC at the convention, and despite being one of the most popular and notable democratic politicos in the country ( https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1295008521600282624 | CBS News Battleground Tracker, August 12 - 14, 2020.pdf - Google Drive ), AOC was not to get an invitation to speak at the Democratic National Convention at all, and in fact, Sanders had to give her one of his two nomination speaker slots to get her even the scant appearance that progressives rightly complained about as being inadequate. Meanwhile some mainstream media sources, despite obviously knowing better, are going after AOC for nominating Sanders in a traditional, procedural endorsement, or are lambasting her for not being supportive enough of Biden, lol ( Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez accuses NBC of spreading misinformation after DNC speech | US news | The Guardian ). You can't make this **** up.

I mean, it's sadly unsurprising. The Democratic establishment and certain allies are definitely apprehensive about her and the changing of the guard she and the Squad represents, recent losses of long time incumbents such as William Lacy Clay, Elliots Engel and Dan Lipinski to progressives ( two of these wins being huge upsets; Progressive Victories Signal Staying Power for the Movement - The New York Times ), and the crushing re-election of all Squad reps despite well-funded primary competitors, and thus seeks to minimize her exposure and prominence. Again, further continuation of the wagon circling behaviour we've seen throughout the primary and 2016.

When you consider that Biden crushed Sanders in the primaries, meaning that the progressive faction couldn't bother to show up for their main man, it makes sense that Biden's convention would attempt to appeal to other types of people - those who do show up.

Beyond that, he has given her a seat at the table, and I don't see her complaining about it one bit.

When you consider that Biden crushed Sanders in the primaries, meaning that the progressive faction couldn't bother to show up for their main man, it makes sense that Biden's convention would attempt to appeal to other types of people - those who do show up.

Beyond that, he has given her a seat at the table, and I don't see her complaining about it one bit.

Yeah I don't think you read that right. Bernie always had progressives on the coasts, but he never connected with the black vote. Blacks in general are far more conservative politically. Bernie only really did well with black youth, open to new ideas. I don't think it's really such an indictment of Bernie's policy, as a big old fuddy duddy Jewish guy from New England, just doesn't connect with souther batptists in Georgia the way old familliar Joe does. I think aslo you have to consider, the DNC of course is not Bernie's friend, they tolerate him, but he's a threat to the legalized corruption, as is AOC.

Hell I am a Bernie supporter myself, but honestly, though I'd much rather have Bernie beat Trump (and I believe he could), admittedly I feel a little safer with Biden, it's that important Trump get tossed!

I don't agree with a lot of Biden's policy, but I don't doubt for a minute, he's a good man, and he will do his lavel best and truly Put America and Americans first. He doesn't need slogans, it shows in who he is. I am with Cenk from TYT on this, once Biden is elected, from t he progressive side we give him hell. But I doubt I will ever be questioning Biden's loyalty to the office and country.

I mean, Biden basically won on the back of Klob and Pete circling the wagons just prior to ST per all the polling data at the time, then coasted on momentum and the renewed illusion of electability thereafter, so uh, 'crushing' is probably not the word I would use, especially since Sanders wasn't even competing during a big chunk of the primaries (and Joe also needed Clyburn to bring his campaign back from the dead in the first place). By the way, I don't know what you mean by appealing to 'those who do show up' RE: neocons that Biden has made a big show of spiting the left to appeal to, who didn't really have much interest in Trump and supporting their party. So what Biden would actually be doing is leaning towards those who didn't vote on the right over those who he claims didn't vote on the left.

By the way, appealing to neocons is perfectly stupid when it's progressive policy that polls strongly nationwide: https://www.debatepolitics.com/2020...-joe-biden-dnc-address-10.html#post1072481957

Beyond that, establishment Dems are in a pretty awkward state of blaming progs for 2016, but then having to acknowledge that they made the difference and thus they shouldn't repeat the mistakes of 2016, or committing to doublethink in maintaining that blame, yet irrationally repeating the same mistakes while cleaving even more heavily to neocons for the sake of their greater alignment with establishment Democrat policy (and in an attempt to make up the difference).

Now, I will acknowledge that Biden has thrown progressives a bone with some of his task forces, but let's face it, it's purely ornamental lipservice until we see corresponding legislation (which Biden claims is not necessary to correct corporate malfeasance, and that he has no plans to commit to: Joe Biden Just Made a Big Promise to His Wall Street Donors ). AOC has subdued her criticisms recently because she, like Sanders, is anxious about removing Trump, and while I agree with this being of overriding importance, I'm also not going to just stand by as someone pisses on my leg and tries to tell me it's raining.

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think you read that right. Bernie always had progressives on the coasts, but he never connected with the black vote. Blacks in general are far more conservative politically. Bernie only really did well with black youth, open to new ideas. I don't think it's really such an indictment of Bernie's policy, as a big old fuddy duddy Jewish guy from New England, just doesn't connect with souther batptists in Georgia the way old familliar Joe does. I think aslo you have to consider, the DNC of course is not Bernie's friend, they tolerate him, but he's a threat to the legalized corruption, as is AOC.

Hell I am a Bernie supporter myself, but honestly, though I'd much rather have Bernie beat Trump (and I believe he could), admittedly I feel a little safer with Biden, it's that important Trump get tossed!

I don't agree with a lot of Biden's policy, but I don't doubt for a minute, he's a good man, and he will do his lavel best and truly Put America and Americans first. He doesn't need slogans, it shows in who he is. I am with Cenk from TYT on this, once Biden is elected, from t he progressive side we give him hell. But I doubt I will ever be questioning Biden's loyalty to the office and country.
It looks more like Biden is more loyal to his party and to that status quo that they want.

At least Bernie was able to sell the idea that he was all for the good of the people and even protecting them.

I still barely even know what it is that Biden plans to do to fix any of this.

It looks more like Biden is more loyal to his party and to that status quo that they want.

At least Bernie was able to sell the idea that he was all for the good of the people and even protecting them.

Sounds like an admission Trump's lack of leadership created a mess. You can parrot the talking points all you want, we did objectively far worse than ANY other nation. Third world countries response to this pandemic has been better than ours.

AOC for Speaker of the House !!!!

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like an admission Trump's lack of leadership created a mess. You can parrot the talking points all you want, we did objectively far worse than ANY other nation. Third world countries response to this pandemic has been better than ours.

Admission to what?

I think you're in the wrong thread again.

This whole thing seems pretty trivial, don't you think?

This whole thing seems pretty trivial, don't you think?

No.

A snub like this has significance, and notable implications.

Again, keep in mind that a solid majority of the party wanted to hear from AOC at the convention, and a comparable majority didn't want to hear from Kasich, yet despite her prominence, despite her popularity, and despite the wishes of the party at large, AOC was totally uninvited, and Kasich got a major speaking part. Kind of tells you A: What party leadership thinks of AOC and the progressives she represents, and B: What party leadership thinks of rank and file party members, the answer to both being evidently not much at all.

No.

A snub like this has significance, and notable implications.

Again, keep in mind that a solid majority of the party wanted to hear from AOC at the convention, and a comparable majority didn't want to hear from Kasich, yet despite her prominence, despite her popularity, and despite the wishes of the party at large, AOC was totally uninvited, and Kasich got a major speaking part. Kind of tells you A: What party leadership thinks of AOC and the progressives she represents, and B: What party leadership thinks of rank and file party members, the answer to both being evidently not much at all.

Nah, it's pretty trivial. But thanks for your input.

I tend not to bunch myself up over trivia.

Assuming the story is accurate, I would not have invited her either. Bernie slotting her as seconding his nomination was a perfect spot for her. This is politics children. Now go wipe your noses and go off for another nap. Those expressing outrage and those attempting to elicit outrage are past their bedtime.

Last edited:
When you consider that Biden crushed Sanders in the primaries,
BS. Bernie came storming out of the gate and was way ahead, but then the dem leadership saw that the corporations werent gonna back him, so they sabotaged Bernie's campaign.

BS. Bernie came storming out of the gate and was way ahead, but then the dem leadership saw that the corporations werent gonna back him, so they sabotaged Bernie's campaign.

They didn't have to sabotage it. That Biden bonfire was just waiting for somebody to light the match. Bernie never stood a chance.

Nah, it's pretty trivial. But thanks for your input.

I tend not to bunch myself up over trivia.

You asked.

And really, it's part of a broader pattern of wagon circling behaviour hewing all the way back to 2016, as opposed to being a freak/one-off isolated incident.

Just trying to keep the talking points out of the GOPs hands. It's strategic. First and foremost, get Biden elected. She'll get her moments when the time is right.

They didn't have to sabotage it. That Biden bonfire was just waiting for somebody to light the match. Bernie never stood a chance.

There is no Biden bonfire, just a tepid pool of senility. Bernie was cheated out of the nomination, just like in 2016 when the dem powers-that-be decided it was Hillary.

By 'lighting a match' you mean getting Klob and Pete to abruptly drop out and endorse Biden literally just prior to Super Tuesday? Particularly when Sanders was slated to win Super Tuesday by every poll going until then, and that Biden won ST by less delegates than those that they (Klob and Pete) were cumulatively expected to pick up?

Go to Biden's website. Last time I checked, there were 39 initiatives laid out in detail. There may be more by now. Go to Trumps website, there are zero.

There is no Biden bonfire, just a tepid pool of senility. Bernie was cheated out of the nomination, just like in 2016 when the dem powers-that-be decided it was Hillary.

Really, did Bernie have the delegate votes he needed in 2016? That would be NEWS TO ME. Though I must admit, DEM interest in putting the "first woman President" sheepskin up on their wall next to the "first black President" sheepskin was at an all time high and completely clouded their vision it was still their bag of marbles, their rules. Bernie's consistent, Standard Operating Procedure of dropping in to the DEM Party for runs at the nomination and dropping back out to maintain his Independent status in the Senate and in politics generally is what killed him then and now! He never had a chance.

Just trying to keep the talking points out of the GOPs hands. It's strategic. First and foremost, get Biden elected. She'll get her moments when the time is right.

AOC's appearance was fine; Kasich getting the time he did when most of the party didn't want him to speak at all, and the demonstrated disregard and contempt of party brass for progressives and rank and file party members alike who overwhelmingly wanted AOC at the convention is far more a disservice to getting Biden elected than trying to head her off. I would agree that it's strategic, but only so far as it relates to helping old guard Dems retain control of the party.

By 'lighting a match' you mean getting Klob and Pete to abruptly drop out and endorse Biden literally just prior to Super Tuesday? Particularly when Sanders was slated to win Super Tuesday by every poll going until then, and that Biden won ST by less delegates than those that they (Klob and Pete) were cumulatively expected to pick up?

Hum....are Amy and Pete committed to the DEM Party or do they dance in and out of it as Bernie does.

Back
Top Bottom