• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Dixie Chicks fly to No. 1 in first full week of album sales

vauge said:
Well, we all have opinions. They dissed our President and Texas on foreign soil. They are no longer worth my time and money. We both have the freedom to express our opinions as we see fit. I express mine though the pocket book and here of course. They did theirs on stage.

Bush & congress is not gathering much of my support lately. This immigration thing has really forced me to rethink my position on the parties in general.

I have been telling people that for years. Until I came to this board, I had been forced off of several boards for speaking my mind about it. Of course, over here, there is much more tolerance than some of the other troll pits on the internet. And today, you are not the only Republican who is changing his stance on political parties in general. There are quite a few others, many of them bolting the Republican party altogether.

3 years ago, on a board called Liberty News Forum, I made a statement that the Republican party no longer served the interests of Conservatives. For that statement, I was personally attacked to an extent that I did not think possible. Those attacks continued every time I chose to speak my mind about what had happened to the Republican party. I was even threatened with physical violence, and got one death threat on one board for my views, which I reported to the police. I was literally driven off of several boards for my views, and on the last board I was on, there was an organized effort in their "Republican HQ" to gang-attack me, and organized "hits" on me were set up in threads in that HQ, which included not only mass personal attacks, but character assassinations, with one of the mods there himself personally involved. Due to one of the members of that "Republican HQ" being upset at what he saw, I was able to participate in one of the threats planning a hit on me, using his user ID which he let me use for that purpose.

When I got here, I was still personally attacked by some, but due to the tight ship which is run, these attacks and vendettas eventually stopped. This is why I am still here.

Bottom line - What Republicans hate more than anything else is one of their own who jumps ship. Since I jumped ship 3 years ago, I have been getting hit with everything but the kitchen sink, but after 3 years, the tide has turned. There are many more just like me now.

to those Republicans who are now bolting or considering leaving, I salute you. To those others who choose to stay with the ship, then I give you a gloating "I told you so". The future of America is not with the Democrats or the Republicans, whose interests are not the interests of this nation, but only those very narrow views which exist to serve their own selfish and petty interests. Americans are now waking up to the con job pulled on them by the 2 major parties, and I for one, am proud to have stayed strong for the last 3 years defending what have turned out to be the facts. I am vindicated.

Because the point is:

Why does one individual feel that their feelings or their interests are more important than anyone else.

Its kinda like a situation where you are in the waiting room of say a Dr.s office. There is one TV in the waiting room. You want to watch a certain program, but there are 40 other people in the waiting room. Do you have the right to tell the other 40 that they have to watch your program?
The right thing to do would be to ask the others in the room if they mind if you change the channel if it is really that important to you to watch the program. Are you going to go up to the receptionist and tell them that unless they change the channel you are going to go to another Dr?

We all have to learn to get along and that begins by recognizing that one persons interests do not outweigh anyone elses.

disneydude said:
Because the point is:

Why does one individual feel that their feelings or their interests are more important than anyone else.

Its kinda like a situation where you are in the waiting room of say a Dr.s office. There is one TV in the waiting room. You want to watch a certain program, but there are 40 other people in the waiting room. Do you have the right to tell the other 40 that they have to watch your program?
The right thing to do would be to ask the others in the room if they mind if you change the channel if it is really that important to you to watch the program. Are you going to go up to the receptionist and tell them that unless they change the channel you are going to go to another Dr?

We all have to learn to get along and that begins by recognizing that one persons interests do not outweigh anyone elses.

At what point are his interest more important. He was just the guy that made the request. Why in gods name or any other would you sit by while something that was uncomfortable or annoying to you was ongoing... and not do anything about it? Maybe there were others in the restaurant that felt the same way but whhere scared to say anything. Why should I endure something I find uncomfortable when there is an alternative

If I was in the waiting room and what was on I found offensive I would request it be changed, thats my perogative. If omeone was interested in it and asked for it not to be chnged. Then I would have to make a choice. EIther put up with it or punch the crazy bastrd in his throat. Course being partly civilized I would probably either wait outside the waiting room or put up with the offense. "THe squeaky wheel gets the grease"

“ Until I came to this board, I had been forced off of several boards for speaking my mind about it. Of course, over here, there is much more tolerance than some of the other troll pits on the internet. And today, you are not the only Republican who is changing his stance on political parties in general. There are quite a few others, many of them bolting the Republican party altogether.”

I was forced off Beliefnet for a while for using the term….pro-abortion….I couldn’t even site sources that had “pro-abortion” in them. This site is really pretty fair and balanced and a much better avenue to debate issues. There is fair and open speech here for everyone and I like that. I could care less if people do not like what I have to say….that is America……..but at least they respect you on DP and allow you to say it.

I totally agree with this comment
………”The future of America is not with the Democrats or the Republicans, whose interests are not the interests of this nation, but only those very narrow views which exist to serve their own selfish and petty interests.”

Both parties are corrupt at the core.

Did anyone stop to consider the possibility that Vauge made this whole story up?

How believable is it that someone would say to a manager...'the Dixie Chicks are traitors to Texas and the president' because of a song playing? The whole thing is farcical. What woman would risk the embarrassment of going out in public with such a narrow minded and opinionated person?

Do you walk out of restaurants if you discover, to your horror, that the lettuce is NOT union picked by Americans?! ROTFL!!!

I'm sorry...send me to the basement, or ban me, but I don't believe this story for a second.

This is the whole problem with some right-wingers. Even if this story is true, which I doubt, would I leave an establishment because Toby Keith came over the PA?

Of course not...I'd be curious to listen to his right wing patriotic lyrics. I might learn something? But God forbid a right winger listens to a left wing song, or reads a left wing publication or listens to a left wing radio show, or reads a left wing opinion piece.

You do not form well rounded political views by tuning out the other side and refusing to listen.

I bet waitresses and managers cringe and run and hide when they see Vauge walk into a restaurant?

Grow up. You want to show support? Wear a prominently displayed button, or shirt. Do not force your views on others when out in public. Do not get mad and take your ball and go home...which is exactly what this 'story' implies. Immaturity. Which is why I don't believe it for a second.

I am of the opinion that another person's rights stop where mine begin and vice versa.

I totally respect the Dixie Chicks (not mention their music is GREAT.) And I want to listen to them. If the guy at the table next to me don't want to hear them, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out, because I do.

As much as I respect Vuage, I am glad I wasn't the patron at the table next to him for I would have insisted they put them back on just as a matter of principle.

I suppose as much as I agree with Vuage on so many other issues, it's ok not to agree with him on this one. Because I really do.

But I do agree he has every right to feel that way regardless if I disagree.

Hoot said:
Did anyone stop to consider the possibility that Vauge made this whole story up?

NO
Hoot said:
How believable is it that someone would say to a manager...'the Dixie Chicks are traitors to Texas and the president' because of a song playing? The whole thing is farcical. What woman would risk the embarrassment of going out in public with such a narrow minded and opinionated person?

YA ... godforbid you stand up and say something. It's so much easier to stay in the corner and do nothing. Why should you ever say anything if you find it offensive. And maybe the type of woman would be one that liked a strong personality willing to stand up for what he believes. As opposed to some wishy washy nasal whiner that is willing to put up and deal with whatever is thrown at him.
Hoot said:
Do you walk out of restaurants if you discover, to your horror, that the lettuce is NOT union picked by Americans?! ROTFL!!!

If I was a big believer in union workers and union rights for pickers... YOUR DAMM RIGHT I WOULD>>> THe question should be why wouldn't you. Are you scared to actually stand up for something you believe in. To actually take action?

Hoot said:
This is the whole problem with some right-wingers. Even if this story is true, which I doubt, would I leave an establishment because Toby Keith came over the PA?

THe fact that your scared to actually take action is entirely up to you. Would I be on your side if you complained about tobey Kieth and asked him to turn it. YOur damm right I would. HE does not have to turn, he can allow you to leave. But to do this you would actualy have to stand up and take action. ANd the whole problem with left wingers is your inability to actually stand up for something. Appeasing and appologizing should not be your strategy for dealing with everything. STAND UP, TAKE ACTION, DO SOMETHING. Talking it to death rarely works

Hoot said:
You do not form well rounded political views by tuning out the other side and refusing to listen.

THat has NOTHING to do with anything on this thread whatsoever

Hoot said:
Grow up. You want to show support? Wear a prominently displayed button, or shirt. Do not force your views on others when out in public. Do not get mad and take your ball and go home...which is exactly what this 'story' implies. Immaturity. Which is why I don't believe it for a second.

Grow UP and Grow a set. If you have a problem with something, you have every right to say something. No threats no scene. I can't see what your problem is with the whole thing. It's his money and his decision to want to feel comfortable where he is. If I am paying for my ball why should I cower in the corner and hand over my money?

YOur opinion of taking action is wearing a button. Vagues opinion of taking action was actually taking action. A simple request was made, nothing was forced, or coerced. NOt exactly sure where you made that up at.

Hoot said:

You are more than welcome to believe me or not. I love opinons on the forum, why would I not express them in RL (Real Life)?

I'm sorry...send me to the basement, or ban me, but I don't believe this story for a second.
no one is gunna ban you for disagreeing - you know that. lol

Of course not...I'd be curious to listen to his right wing patriotic lyrics. I might learn something? But God forbid a right winger listens to a left wing song, or reads a left wing publication or listens to a left wing radio show, or reads a left wing opinion piece.
I rarely listen to country music anymore so I am unfamiliar with the 'patriotic lyrics' you are refering.

I bet waitresses and managers cringe and run and hide when they see Vauge walk into a restaurant?
Muahaha - I could only hope.

Grow up. You want to show support? Wear a prominently displayed button, or shirt.
Feel free to purchase a DP T-shirt and show your support. :mrgreen:
Hint: Click on extras > store

Calm2Chaos said:
Embarrassed why? Because he talked to the mangager and "requested" something be done about a situation he did not like? He didn't demand or force the manager to do something. HE gave him a choice. If the results were not to his liking he was willing to leave and spend "HIS" money someplace else. I understand your unwillingness to actually stand up for what you believe but not everyone is like that. In this country the most powerful voice is your pocket. Money talks bullshit walks...

Hear, Hear, excellent points........:cheers: :applaud

Captain America said:
I am of the opinion that another person's rights stop where mine begin and vice versa.

I totally respect the Dixie Chicks (not mention their music is GREAT.) And I want to listen to them. If the guy at the table next to me don't want to hear them, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out, because I do.

As much as I respect Vuage, I am glad I wasn't the patron at the table next to him for I would have insisted they put them back on just as a matter of principle.

I suppose as much as I agree with Vuage on so many other issues, it's ok not to agree with him on this one. Because I really do.

But I do agree he has every right to feel that way regardless if I disagree.

Me too, Captain. I would have insisted that they not cave into someone's idosyncracies. You'd think that the restaurant was playing song after song of the Dixie Chicks. Songs last how long? Like 3 to 4 minutes? Someone cannot take a song playing for 3 to 4 minutes?

Again, I understand vauge's feelings about the Dixie Chicks, so my disagreement has nothing to do with that.

Oh, and Hoot, I would be shocked if vauge would lie about anything.

Last edited:
aps said:

Oh aps, my dear, you're so innocent. This is the internet, after all.

For example...I will never buy an Oreck vacumn cleaner because the guy gives all his money to republicans, but if I'm in a bar/restaurant and an Oreck ad comes on the tele, would I demand the manager instantly change that station?

Of course not...the whole idea is ricidulous, and I'm sorry, but I still don't believe Vauges story.

There are far better ways to show support for your political beliefs then imposing your will and idealogies on other patrons.

Calm2Chaos said:
Embarrassed why? Because he talked to the mangager and "requested" something be done about a situation he did not like? He didn't demand or force the manager to do something. HE gave him a choice. If the results were not to his liking he was willing to leave and spend "HIS" money someplace else. I understand your unwillingness to actually stand up for what you believe but not everyone is like that. In this country the most powerful voice is your pocket. Money talks bullshit walks...
Trust me, i stand up for what i believe. If I go to a bar/restaurant and hear some redneck song like "Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning"
I would simply be tolerant and let it play through. I mean, honestly what did vaugue accomplish by 'standing up' besides being an annoying customer at a public eating place? It's just silly, and I would not waste the time.

aps said:
Me too, Captain. I would have insisted that they not cave into someone's idosyncracies. You'd think that the restaurant was playing song after song of the Dixie Chicks. Songs last how long? Like 3 to 4 minutes? Someone cannot take a song playing for 3 to 4 minutes?

Again, I understand vauge's feelings about the Dixie Chicks, so my disagreement has nothing to do with that.

But thats the great thing... You have the right to do so. And if the manager changed it back he would then have the right to leave and take his consumer dollar with him, It's a choice. We have had a discussion in another thread about choices aps. You were kind of against it there also, wanting to force your desires on other people.

Now the fact that no one complained says one of two things. "they" didn't care one way or the other. Or they were scared to express there opinion, which is there problem. If it's the first then everybody is happy.. NO harm no foul. If it's the second then maye you need to start being a little more vocal and standing up for yourself.

::Major_Baker:: said:
Trust me, i stand up for what i believe. If I go to a bar/restaurant and hear some redneck song like "Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning"
I would simply be tolerant and let it play through. I mean, honestly what did vaugue accomplish by 'standing up' besides being an annoying customer at a public eating place? It's just silly, and I would not waste the time.

Annoying to whom? He excercised his rights? He accomplished making the experience in the restaurant more pleasant for himself. And since it sounds like no one else complained it was a win win situation. To you it would be a waste of time... To him it meant enough to make a decision. NOt so sure why thats so hard to understand. The other patrons have the same right to ask that it be turned back

I think the most shocking part about this whole thread is that people are actually saying that the Dixie Chicks make good music.

I for one can care less for their political affiliation. In my opinion they are just another brainless pop country group who were complete cowards for bashing America on foreign soil.

And it's no secret that the majority of musicians and artists in the mainstream are of the liberal persuasion. This would be a non issue if they were just another talentless Sheryl Crow.

Once they knew they couldn't take back what they said they decided to hop on the Douchebags for Kerry Tour (Vote for Change Tour).

Calm2Chaos said:
But thats the great thing... You have the right to do so. And if the manager changed it back he would then have the right to leave and take his consumer dollar with him, It's a choice. We have had a discussion in another thread about choices aps. You were kind of against it there also, wanting to force your desires on other people.

Now the fact that no one complained says one of two things. "they" didn't care one way or the other. Or they were scared to express there opinion, which is there problem. If it's the first then everybody is happy.. NO harm no foul. If it's the second then maye you need to start being a little more vocal and standing up for yourself.

Are you talking about the smoking issue? I hate smoking; however, I won't demand that a manager not allow people to smoke if it's legal just because I think it's vile and impacts my own health when subjected to second-hand smoke. In those circumstances, I will leave the establishment without imposing what I want on others.

Hoot, I know that vauge may be just another person to you on the internet, but that is not the relationship I have with him, and while I may be too trusting at times, I don't see vauge lying about this story. That's just not him. Look at how he manages this message board. He is a solid person, even if he demands that no one around him listen to the Dixie Chicks. ;)

aps said:
Are you talking about the smoking issue? I hate smoking; however, I won't demand that a manager not allow people to smoke if it's legal just because I think it's vile and impacts my own health when subjected to second-hand smoke. In those circumstances, I will leave the establishment without imposing what I want on others.

Hoot, I know that vauge may be just another person to you on the internet, but that is not the relationship I have with him, and while I may be too trusting at times, I don't see vauge lying about this story. That's just not him. Look at how he manages this message board. He is a solid person, even if he demands that no one around him listen to the Dixie Chicks. ;)

NO I was actually talking about your desire to have a law inacted to stop it. Instead of making a choice to not go into a smoking establishment you would rather that everyone be forced to accept your decision. It's all about personal choice .. Or at least most of the time ..lol

Calm2Chaos said:
NO I was actually talking about your desire to have a law inacted to stop it. Instead of making a choice to not go into a smoking establishment you would rather that everyone be forced to accept your decision. It's all about personal choice .. Or at least most of the time ..lol

To me, smoking is different, as it impacts those around the smoker. Regardless, I rarely go to a lot of happy hours after work because I hate cigarrette smoke. However, now with the smoking ban in DC, I can go to more. Wooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooo!

Calm2Chaos said:

*SHOCK* Yeah, it's unreasonable for someone to want to be able to eat somewhere without having to breath in smoke. :roll:

I think someone said it but I will repeat it......I thinks it wrong for any American be it Cindy Sheehan or the Dixie Chicks to go to another country and criticize this country be they Conservative or Liberal........There is a time and a place for criticism and that is not it.............It does not take much courage for a Sheehan to criticize the U.S. standing along side a scumbag like Chavez or the Dixie Chicks to do it in front of a bunch of Bush hating lefties in the UK............

Vauge, I have to say that your demanding the song be turned off was pretty petty. As a manager, I would have laughed at you. Petty complaints can be my competitors' concern. I think the Chixie Dicks suck. That's because contempory country sucks. It has nothing to do with their politics. I wonder if you demand the same thing when Willie Nelson comes on. What about Merle Haggard or Steve Earle? You might want to start considering cooking at home, take-out, or delivery.

“I'm sorry...send me to the basement, or ban me, but I don't believe this story for a second.

This is the whole problem with some right-wingers. Even if this story is true, which I doubt, would I leave an establishment because Toby Keith came over the PA?”

Right wingers? What the hell does this have to do with right wingers………..have you no idea what RADICAL LIBERALS DO AND SAY IN PUBLIC?

What, you're upset because someone showed a different viewpoint than yours? Someone with integrity stood up for what they believed in, and thats a bad thing?

Calm2chaos……..excellent post.

“I for one can care less for their political affiliation. In my opinion they are just another brainless pop country group who were complete cowards for bashing America on foreign soil.

And it's no secret that the majority of musicians and artists in the mainstream are of the liberal persuasion. This would be a non issue if they were just another talentless Sheryl Crow.

Once they knew they couldn't take back what they said they decided to hop on the Douchebags for Kerry Tour (Vote for Change Tour).”

You got that right.

Good points
……..”I think someone said it but I will repeat it......I thinks it wrong for any American be it Cindy Sheehan or the Dixie Chicks to go to another country and criticize this country be they Conservative or Liberal........There is a time and a place for criticism and that is not it.............It does not take much courage for a Sheehan to criticize the U.S. standing along side a scumbag like Chavez or the Dixie Chicks to do it in front of a bunch of Bush hating lefties in the UK............”

Interesting quotes from Natalie....she knew what she said was wrong and disrespectful......and she apologized to boost their miserable record sales. Now, when Bush polls are low....she gets out her knife again. Someone should tell her the war is still going on.

As much as I can't stand her I defend her right to say whatever she wants.

"Statement from Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks, March 14, 2003

As a concerned American citizen, I apologize to President Bush because my remark was disrespectful. I feel that whoever holds that office should be treated with the utmost respect. We are currently in Europe and witnessing a huge anti-American sentiment as a result of the perceived rush to war. While war may remain a viable option, as a mother, I just want to see every possible alternative exhausted before children and American soldiers' lives are lost. I love my country. I am a proud American."

Statement from the Dixie Chicks with respect to statements being reported in the British media, March 12, 2003

"We've been overseas for several weeks and have been reading and following the news accounts of our governments' position. The anti-American sentiment that has unfolded here is astounding. While we support our troops, there is nothing more frightening than the notion of going to war with Iraq and the prospect of all the innocent lives that will be lost." Maines further stated, "I feel the President is ignoring the opinions of many in the US and alienating the rest of the world. My comments were made in frustration and one of the privileges of being an American is you are free to voice your own point of view."

So they choose to bash America while in the UK........

Did Maine ever take a U.S history class and study WW1 and WW2? What would these chicks have done had they lived during those wars? Lets put it this way.......no American citizen would have supported them, they would have been outcasts, finished, done.

I admire vague for standing up for his beliefs and doing something about it. He has that right and he exercized it the same way Maine did. The difference being she was a high profile person and she bashed her own country and president both at home and abroad during wartime.

Jimmy Carter did the same thing over and over during Bushes presidency. That is something no former president has ever really done to another.

doughgirl said:
I admire vague for standing up for his beliefs and doing something about it. He has that right and he exercized it the same way Maine did. The difference being she was a high profile person and she bashed her own country and president both at home and abroad during wartime.

Jimmy Carter did the same thing over and over during Bushes presidency. That is something no former president has ever really done to another.

Oh brother. How her saying that she was embarrassed that Bush was from Texas is indicative of "bashing her own country" is beyond me. LOL

Can you blame Jimmy Carter? ;)

You go, Dixie Chicks! Who cares if people were offended. Those that are offended clearly feel that there was some truth to your words. I salute you and will be buying your "Not Ready to Make Nice" CD. Yee haw!

Navy Pride said:
I think someone said it but I will repeat it......I thinks it wrong for any American be it Cindy Sheehan or the Dixie Chicks to go to another country and criticize this country be they Conservative or Liberal........There is a time and a place for criticism and that is not it.............It does not take much courage for a Sheehan to criticize the U.S. standing along side a scumbag like Chavez or the Dixie Chicks to do it in front of a bunch of Bush hating lefties in the UK............

Why does it matter where they're voicing their concerns about this country? It's not like they're threatening our national security by voicing concern about our foreign policy. Also, I don't see why you think courage has anything to do with it. Are you going to hurt them for having different views from your own? Certainly people like Sheehan have criticized the war in Iraq while in this country.

aps said:
Oh brother. How her saying that she was embarrassed that Bush was from Texas is indicative of "bashing her own country" is beyond me. LOL

Can you blame Jimmy Carter? ;)

You go, Dixie Chicks! Who cares if people were offended. Those that are offended clearly feel that there was some truth to your words. I salute you and will be buying your "Not Ready to Make Nice" CD. Yee haw!

aps criticize your country all you want, just don't do it in a foreign country......Takes no courage to do that.........

Back
Top Bottom