• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Dixie Chicks fly to No. 1 in first full week of album sales

::Major_Baker:: said:
If I were the manager I would have laughed.
If the customer was offended for a legitimate reason like the lyrics in a song, then that's one thing. But if the customer was offended because of a political ideology of a certain artist, I would have laughed and let you leave.

How immature is that, when you sit and think about it vauge?:roll:

Then I guess it's a good thing you don't run a restaurant. And how did this thread veer onto vauge and not the dixie chicks.

Calm2Chaos said:
Then I guess it's a good thing you don't run a restaurant.

I disagree.

I would prefer going to a restaurant that doesn't bend over for all the anal people out there.

I would do the same thing. A little more diplomatic, but I would of politely informed the customer that we appreciate business from both liberals and conservatives and will not pander to one group exclusively.

If I lost his business because of it then good riddance to bad rubbish.

Calm2Chaos said:
Then I guess it's a good thing you don't run a restaurant. And how did this thread veer onto vauge and not the dixie chicks.
My restaurant would be fine without a few complaining, demanding people.
I would not turn of a song and deny the whole restaurant of music just because a few immature customers had their political feelings hurt.
Read the entire thread.

My restaurant would be fine without a few complaining, demanding people.
I would not turn of a song and deny the whole restaurant of music just because a few immature customers had their political feelings hurt.
Read the entire thread.

Hey ... if you don't need my money thats fine by me. I would be happy to go someplace I am comfortable and spend it. Thats the beautiful thing about capitolism, you let your pocket do the talking.

Kelzie said:
I don't know about the Dixie Chicks. They're rather ungreatful to the genre that made them what they are.

I hear what your saying. Had they been a rock group, nobody would have even cared. But I am sure they offended many of their usual base by their stance regarding the president. And they had to suffer the usual setbacks for that. I see this kinda stuff happening all the time. Take a position against the O'Reilly crowd, he calls for a boycott. Disagree with a whitehouse policy, lose your job or worse. A Kerry bumper sticker might get your car keyed. In their case, even death threats. The list goes on.

The people who take exception to the Dixie Chicks have the same right to voice their disapproval as the Chicks have to voice theirs. They have the same right to change their radio station or not buy their records. So be it.
The chicks have found themselves a new crowd appearantly. An even bigger one by all appearances.

Although, I think they were kinda of naive and stupid going political initially, I do kinda respect them pretty much telling those folks to go to hell, in so many words..... They deserved it.

Like you, I am a big Toby Keith fan. Now he knows how to play the political card to his advantage and he plays that card well with his fan base. That's thinkin' smart in a capitolistic sense. What's more, he comes across as genuine and I believe he is.

But the "FUTK" was priceless. I couldn't help but laugh.:rofl

Reminds me of several years back when Vanessa Williams was stripped of her Miss America crown because she had posed nude. She went on to become the most successful former Miss America there has been.

Dixie Chicks can take heart in the truth of the old addage "He who laughs last laughs best".

....Remember when people like Bill O' Reilly said their career was over? Maybe people in the Country music buying group aren't as close minded and ignorant as people would have you believe.

Maybe people in the Country music buying group aren't as close minded and ignorant as people would have you believe.

I don't think most country fans really care all that much about them slamming Bush. People like good music and if the Dixie chicks produce it, people will buy. There is sometimes a disconnect between media hype and what really goes on.

Of course you will always have people like some on this board who will go complaining and stop everyone from hearing their music on the radio and in businesses. They for their part are trying to make money and will indulge such people to keep down on the controversy that might surround them otherwise A little tolerance of others opinions would be nice.

A little tolerance of others opinions would be nice.

That would put people like Limbaugh and O'Reilly out of business.

ShamMol said:
I don't want to get in on that comment because frankly, I don't necessarily agree with it. I think that it is any paying customer's right to talk to the manager of a restaurant...and then it is up to the manager. MY point is that he should be above that pettiness.
I pay for a meal at a fine establishment - I expect to enjoy it.

zymurgy said:
What? Did Vauge place a gun to the managers head as well?

This is capitalism. Vauge simply informed them of the potential of lost revenue. They still had complete freedom to operate in any manner they pleased.
Absolutely! If you do not want something or disagree with it - do you buy it?

My "demand" wasn't a scream or a yell - a simple request - "Is the manager or owner available?"

It went down something like this:

"Please turn off this music. The Dixie Chicks are traitors of Texas and our President. I will not eat here if you continue to play their music."
"I'm sorry sir, but this is on Satellite and there is nothing we can do about it. If you will wait, the song will end soon."
"Ok, thank you. I will not be back. Here is $10 for the tea... Let's go sweetheart. Oh, btw, do you know how I can contact the owner?"
"I am the owner. Give me a second, I will see what I can do...."

3 seconds later - silence - then a local radio station.

Completely his choice.
BTW, since then we have returned and they play CD's not satellite radio.

So, if I get this right, it's not enough for someone to choose to boycott the Dixie Chicks on thier own free will but now others must do the same or suffer the wrath?

Had I been there and they cut them off due to pressure exerted by another patron, I would have insisted they turn them back on or else lose my business.

What a country!

Danged if you do, danged if you don't.:shock:

Vague-
No personal disrespect.....but am I the only one that thinks it a little strange that you are even listening to the music being played at the restaurant? What I mean is....unless you are at a sports bar or that type of place where the music is being blarred and played on video screens throughout the restaurant, most restaurants that I go to don't make music their focal point and usually is is played so low that it really can't be heard anyway.

It sounds to me that you weren't so much worried about the music ruining your meal as you were interested in making a political statement.

I go to a gym that has TV monitors tuned to various stations, MTV, ABC, Foxnews. Should I be offended that the gym chooses to put Foxnews on one of the monitors that people can watch just because I think that it is right-wing propoganda? Should I approach the manager and demand that my interests be placed above the other 300 people in the gym some of them who probably enjoy watching Foxnews?
It might be a political statement for me to do so, but it would also be selfish on my part to presume that everyone in the establishment should adhere to what I personally find appropriate or not.

vauge said:

My "demand" wasn't a scream or a yell - a simple request - "Is the manager or owner available?"

"Please turn off this music. The Dixie Chicks are traitors of Texas and our President. I will not eat here if you continue to play their music."
"I'm sorry sir, but this is on Satellite and there is nothing we can do about it. If you will wait, the song will end soon."
"Ok, thank you. I will not be back. Here is $10 for the tea... Let's go sweetheart. Oh, btw, do you know how I can contact the owner?"

Completely his choice.
How comical.:mrgreen: I so wish I would have been the manager in this restaurant. You are honestly not embarrassed about your behavior? I would have kept that little non-sensical rant to myself.

Did you boycott French wine to like Bill O'Reiily suggests?:rofl

vauge said:

Completely his choice.

I can't even begin to describe how disappointed I am. Sorry.

How comical.:mrgreen: I so wish I would have been the manager in this restaurant. You are honestly not embarrassed about your behavior? I would have kept that little non-sensical rant to myself.
I am more embarassed that the Dixie Chicks are from this state and a town that I grew up in. Again, it is capitolism.

lol - no I did not. But, I am boycotting a local resturant for observing May 1 'Day without a Mexican' - they have a map in their resturant that has Texas as being part of Mexico.

I cannot recall exactly, but there was either an anti-Natalie Maines sign on the door or the server was talking about pretty bad about them before the song even started. Either way, I probably would have not thought twice and not reacted. We had waited about 40 mins and she kept staring me down. Pretty sure it was that place. Because of Lubbock Texas and me watching her dad play so many times - I am a bit more sensative about it than most.

Captain America said:
That would put people like Limbaugh and O'Reilly out of business.

Yeah and Michael Moore and Ward Churchill to, oh wait, they are lefties I know why you did not mention them my liberal buddy.......

Just remember you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time...........

I worked as a waitress when that happened and one of the owners wanted us to change all the menus and specials to read "freedom fries" insteaad of french fries. Needless to say we just laughed at him and went on with our job. Good thing he somewhat has a sense of humor... but he was really serious about changing it.

Kelzie I think you are so right…..

They obviously have to get political again to get attention....nothing else has been workin.

And really who the hell cares what any Hollywood, or pop star thinks about anything, especially politics and religion. The majority have inflated egos……

I’m with you vague…hey maybe Michael Moore bought all the CD’s?

Aps you said, “Wow. I am disappointed to hear of your intolerance, vauge, and suprised as well. Your anger towards them gives their word credence. I guess you must know that Bush sucks as president.”

Gee Aps.. I am as surprised by your intolerance for vauges opinions. He can’t have any?

Vague said, “Bush & congress is not gathering much of my support lately. This immigration thing has really forced me to rethink my position on the parties in general.”

I am in total agreement. Neither party would get my vote come the next election. I live in Arizona……tell me about illegal immigrants………neither party really wants to do anything.

Disneydude said, “I go to a gym that has TV monitors tuned to various stations, MTV, ABC, Foxnews. Should I be offended that the gym chooses to put Foxnews on one of the monitors that people can watch just because I think that it is right-wing propoganda? Should I approach the manager and demand that my interests be placed above the other 300 people in the gym some of them who probably enjoy watching Foxnews?"

Yes, if you did not like the programming you have every right to express your views or to leave. Who knows maybe the other 299 were afraid to say something?

”It might be a political statement for me to do so, but it would also be selfish on my part to presume that everyone in the establishment should adhere to what I personally find appropriate or not.”

No it isn’t selfish and I admire vague for doing just that.

“Did you boycott French wine to like Bill O'Reiily suggests?”

He might not have, but I did and I know a lot of other people who did as well. It hurt them too.

I have to tell this funny story about what happens however when ya open your mouth in a resturant.

We were in a resturant (Cheesecake Factory) a few months back and there was a couple sitting in the booth across from us that were fondling and kissing...his tongue in her mouth, hers in his,.......He was sitting up....she had taken her shoes off and was about laying in his lap.....you get the idea.
My husband and I had our 21 year old son with us and he tells it like it is. We watched and listened for 10 minutes until we couldnt take it any longer. People in other booths I could tell were upset but no one did a thing. The place was packed.

My son got up from the table and left.......went to talk to our waiter who also happened to be theirs as well. Waiter said he understood that it bothered him too. He said he would talk to the manager. Nothing happened.

So our son....looked over and finally said, "Why don't you go get a room?". :rofl

Oh they heard......because the guy pushed his honey (who was young enough to be his granddaughter I might add) aside and stood up to confront our son. He said, "Do you have a problem?"......In which our son said, "Yes I do........we are all sick of your conduct in this resturant." The guy started swearing and said, " Lets take it outside".......Our son laughed but said, "Fine lets go."

The manager finally came up and asked if there was a problem........Our son TOLD THE STORY IN WHICH THE ENTIRE SIDE OF THE RESTURANT CLAPPED. This old man in the booth next to ours stood up and said, "They leave or we do." More applause.....The couple left and without paying I might add.

All it takes is one person to change things around. And we as consumers have a right to voice our opinions.

KidRocks said:
Way to go Chicks... no surrender-no retreat!

This made my day. I'll call the dumba_s radio station again now. I called them before to get them to play the Dixie Chicks, they said they would, but then they didn't. I'm SO GLAD to see them on the wrong side of things now.

You know what? They're dumb enough to STILL not play them. Instead they run commercials 25 minutes out of every hour.

When you show strange behaviour in restaurants and talk about it at the internet, then this is not a good thing for the place where you live.

At least it works this way for most places, why should it be different for Texas or Arizona?

Volker said:
When you show strange behaviour in restaurants and talk about it at the internet, then this is not a good thing for the place where you live.

At least it works this way for most places, why should it be different for Texas or Arizona?
Would you elaborate?

Why not stand up for what you believe in? Chances are that something you most dislike - someone has stood up for it to make it seem normal or acceptable.

That is an issue I see in todays society. People fear speaking their mind if they believe they are in the right. We seem too concerned about feelings and we are pandering to those on the opposite side of the isle.

I am not speaking of dissonance. I am simply refering to speaking your mind. Utilizing that tool that many countries have - Freedom of Speech.

doughgirl said:
All it takes is one person to change things around. And we as consumers have a right to voice our opinions.
Absolutely.

Its one thing to speak your mind and stand up for what you believe it, its a completely different thing to demand that your views/beliefs be imposed on everyone around you.

I certainly support Vauge's right to get up and leave the restaurant if he is offended. I support his right to write a letter to the restaurant expressing his views or to talk to the manager about his complaint. However, to demand that they turn off the song or whatever assumes that his interest is superior to everyone else in the restaurant.

Lets say that I go to a restaurant that serves foie gras. I believe that it is very cruel and inhumane the way that they make foie gras. Is it my right to demand that they remove the item from the menu? I certainly think that it is my right to boycott the restaurant and write to the manager and tell them that I don't believe it should be served, but to demand that it be taken off the menu?

See....the thing that makes America great is that we have choices....we have diversity of opinion. Can you imagine living in a world in which everyone does exactly the same thing?

Do you really want to be the only "perfect" person in an "imperfect" world?

Personally I believe one of the biggest problems in America today and the huge divide that Bush has created in this country lies in this very premise. So many of us are so concerned with imposing our views on everyone else rather than respecting other people's rights to enjoy what they want.

There was a little hamburger stand in downtown LA which did the whole "freedom fries" thing. He then became very active in supporting conservative candidates and posting their posters. I personally stopped eating there because I didn't want my money to go to support any right-wing causes. Apparently others did too because within a year he was out of business. So yes....you have every right to speak with your pocketbook....but should have I gone in there and demanded that he take down the posters and change the name back to "french" fries? Personally, I think that would have been a little ridiculous.

Last edited:
vauge said:
Would you elaborate?

Why not stand up for what you believe in? Chances are that something you most dislike - someone has stood up for it to make it seem normal or acceptable.
Well, I remember this Giant movie, where Bick Benedict (Rock Hudson) stood up for something he believed in, which was worth it.

What is all the trouble about the Dixie Chicks? They do not like their president and they said so. That's it? This is the a reason for not playing their songs in a restaurant?

vauge said:
That is an issue I see in todays society. People fear speaking their mind if they believe they are in the right. We seem too concerned about feelings and we are pandering to those on the opposite side of the isle.
It is a good thing if people stand up for things which need to be addressed. But here we talk about the indignation about what a Dixie Chick said in London, about people selling "freedom fries" or not drinking French wine. It makes a lot of difference to me.

vauge said:
I am not speaking of dissonance. I am simply refering to speaking your mind. Utilizing that tool that many countries have - Freedom of Speech.
Yes, this argument works for the Dixie Chicks and the restaurant owner, too.

Embarrassed why? Because he talked to the mangager and "requested" something be done about a situation he did not like? He didn't demand or force the manager to do something. HE gave him a choice. If the results were not to his liking he was willing to leave and spend "HIS" money someplace else. I understand your unwillingness to actually stand up for what you believe but not everyone is like that. In this country the most powerful voice is your pocket. Money talks bullshit walks...

I'm with ya vague....:lol:

I proabably wouldn't have cared since I wouldn't know a dixie chick if she knelt down in front of me and .......(you get the idea). But I like sticking to your guns and letting your money do the talking. I don't understand these people who's "Feelings" you hurt y excersicing your rights as an american and a capitolist.

disneydude said:
Its one thing to speak your mind and stand up for what you believe it, its a completely different thing to demand that your views/beliefs be imposed on everyone around you.

I certainly support Vauge's right to get up and leave the restaurant if he is offended. I support his right to write a letter to the restaurant expressing his views or to talk to the manager about his complaint. However, to demand that they turn off the song or whatever assumes that his interest is superior to everyone else in the restaurant.

Lets say that I go to a restaurant that serves foie gras. I believe that it is very cruel and inhumane the way that they make foie gras. Is it my right to demand that they remove the item from the menu? I certainly think that it is my right to boycott the restaurant and write to the manager and tell them that I don't believe it should be served, but to demand that it be taken off the menu?

See....the thing that makes America great is that we have choices....we have diversity of opinion. Can you imagine living in a world in which everyone does exactly the same thing?

Do you really want to be the only "perfect" person in an "imperfect" world?

Personally I believe one of the biggest problems in America today and the huge divide that Bush has created in this country lies in this very premise. So many of us are so concerned with imposing our views on everyone else rather than respecting other people's rights to enjoy what they want.

There was a little hamburger stand in downtown LA which did the whole "freedom fries" thing. He then became very active in supporting conservative candidates and posting their posters. I personally stopped eating there because I didn't want my money to go to support any right-wing causes. Apparently others did too because within a year he was out of business. So yes....you have every right to speak with your pocketbook....but should have I gone in there and demanded that he take down the posters and change the name back to "french" fries? Personally, I think that would have been a little ridiculous.

Demand??.... Seemed to me like he gave the manager a choice. He didn't make a scene, he simply was going to spend his money someplace else. I don't understand why this is upsetting to you. It obviously meant so little to everyone else that nobody said anything. The change made everyone happy or unconcerned.

Back
Top Bottom