• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Dixie Chicks fly to No. 1 in first full week of album sales

talloulou said:
I think they apologized due to the backlash they were receiving. I think now their feelings are more "en vogue" so they are feeling free-er to lash out again. :rofl

I think they apologized because they were getting death threats.

What that says to me is that those who were so offended by the statement enough to threaten death are just total whackos (and probably knew that Bush is a loser, which is why they were so offended).

Nah, of course it doesn't. But there is something to be said for the idea that I can insult my brother amoung my family but I wouldn't insult my brother outside the home in front of strangers. Of course if you don't give a crap about your brother then I guess anything goes anywhere anytime.

I guess for me, it shouldn't make a difference where the statement is said.

In the end who cares what the Dixie Chicks say? Johnny Depp compared the US to a dumb dog and that doesn't stop me from thinking that man is hot hot hot. :mrgreen:

A lot of people seem to care. I certainly don't, although I don't think I would have gone out of my way to support them and purchase their CD had this whole incident NOT occurred.

I agree with the being 'airheads' comment... but talented?

Sure, if you count three basic chord progressions as talent.

SixStringHero said:
Sure, if you count three basic chord progressions as talent.

Hey, Elvis got rich off of three chords.:mrgreen:

Actually, the airheads are extremely talented. Their vocal harmonies are awesome and two of the three are regarded in Nashville circles as some of the best instrumentalists in the business.

Now, if you don't like their music or their political persuasion, I can understand that.

But to say they are not talented is subjective at best. I do not know anyone credible that would agree with that.

Hey, Elvis got rich off of three chords.

shakin his *** didnt hurt his popularity. If natalie maines starts to do that, I feel for whoever is in the front row.

ProudAmerican said:
shakin his *** didnt hurt his popularity. If natalie maines starts to do that, I feel for whoever is in the front row.

Myself, I'd prefer Natalie shakin' her *** in front of me. But that's just me.

Whatever blows your skirt up PA.

Live like you wanna live! :mrgreen:

Jesus Christ.
You people are dumb.

Saying a group doesn't have talent because you disagree with thier politics.

Even going so far as to say that a nice looking chick's *** is not worthy of shaking in front of you at a concert, just because of her politics.

Thats ridiculous.

You know, I don't agree with some of the actions of the other country stars who have gone the other way, but, I still think they are talented.

Grow up.. sheeshh.

its got nothin to do with politics. the biatch is a hog.

and ive been a musician for 15 years. they dont have any freaking talent. they are a product of nashville marketing. just like most of the crap that comes out of that town these days.

their politics suck, but I hated them long before I knew their stance on Bush.

;)

ProudAmerican said:
its got nothin to do with politics. the biatch is a hog.

and ive been a musician for 15 years. they dont have any freaking talent. they are a product of nashville marketing. just like most of the crap that comes out of that town these days.

their politics suck, but I hated them long before I knew their stance on Bush.

;)

15 years?

WOW!! :shock:

Where can I go to buy one of YOUR platinum albums Mr. Talented?:mrgreen:

Captain America said:
15 years?

WOW!! :shock:

Where can I go to buy one of YOUR platinum albums Mr. Talented?:mrgreen:

you dont have to have a platinum album to know **** when you hear it.

;)

ProudAmerican said:
you dont have to have a platinum album to know **** when you hear it.

;)

I suppose.

But from one musician to another, I think they have mucho talent. But still, I'll take Pink Floyd over the Chicks anyday. I, personally, have never spent a dime on the Chicks and most likely never will.

Hell, I think the overrated Elvis sucks wang but I never said he don't have talent.

Micheal Bolton's voice makes me wanna put cigarette butts in my ears. I think Celine Dion needs an enema.

Bob Dylan? Tom Petty? Johnny Cash? Neil Young? Neither of those four can carry a tune in a toe-sack. Not to mention the whiney *****-rock on today's new-rock radio.

It's hard to actually define talent I suppose.

As much as the afore-mentioned drive me up the wall their millions of dollars suggest to me that somebody, somewhere thinks they do, in fact, have talent. Even though you and I may not think so.

Comparing their millions to yours or my millions, I would even suggest that, perhaps, they may even have more talent than you or I. Call me crazy.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Caine said:
Jesus Christ.
You people are dumb.

Saying a group doesn't have talent because you disagree with thier politics.

Even going so far as to say that a nice looking chick's *** is not worthy of shaking in front of you at a concert, just because of her politics.

Thats ridiculous.

You know, I don't agree with some of the actions of the other country stars who have gone the other way, but, I still think they are talented.

Grow up.. sheeshh.

Let's not be calling others dumb, hmm? :2wave:

Kelzie said:

You can call me dumb if ya wanna Kelzie. I don't care WHAT you call me as long as you call me.:mrgreen:

If I were only 15 years younger.....(well, maybe 20.......Okay, okay....25.)

Kelzie said:

errr...
I guess I should have wrote that to say "some" people are dumb.

Then I wouldn't be accusatory.

Caine said:
errr...
I guess I should have wrote that to say "some" people are dumb.

Then I wouldn't be accusatory.

Yeah! What's wrong with you dumbass? :rofl

Just kidding, of course.

Captain America said:
Yeah! What's wrong with you dumbass? :rofl

Just kidding, of course.

(in a deep Mr. T voice)

YEAH!

Captain America said:
You can call me dumb if ya wanna Kelzie. I don't care WHAT you call me as long as you call me.:mrgreen:

If I were only 15 years younger.....(well, maybe 20.......Okay, okay....25.)
dude, put that thing away, you neighbors are looking in your window.

::Major_Baker:: said:
dude, put that thing away, you neighbors are looking in your window.

Mama always said, "A mule that can't get up can't get out."
*********************Forest Rump

Captain America said:
I suppose.

But from one musician to another, I think they have mucho talent. But still, I'll take Pink Floyd over the Chicks anyday. I, personally, have never spent a dime on the Chicks and most likely never will.

Hell, I think the overrated Elvis sucks wang but I never said he don't have talent.

Micheal Bolton's voice makes me wanna put cigarette butts in my ears. I think Celine Dion needs an enema.

Bob Dylan? Tom Petty? Johnny Cash? Neil Young? Neither of those four can carry a tune in a toe-sack. Not to mention the whiney *****-rock on today's new-rock radio.

It's hard to actually define talent I suppose.

As much as the afore-mentioned drive me up the wall their millions of dollars suggest to me that somebody, somewhere thinks they do, in fact, have talent. Even though you and I may not think so.

Comparing their millions to yours or my millions, I would even suggest that, perhaps, they may even have more talent than you or I. Call me crazy.:mrgreen:

we agree on several of the musicians you named.

like I said, I never bought a dixie chicks record before i found out about their political views.
they just never floated my boat musically.

then again, the class of 89 was the last real talent to come out of nashville IMO, with the exception of a few.

as far as talent.....well, just about anyone in nashville these days owes their fame to the truly talented folks behind the scenes.....the song writers.

there are a few artists that are doing some of their own writing, but not many.

APS said:
I love that they have that much control over your actions.

Ain't a whole lot of control. I simply don't listen to them and don't buy their albums. You/re the one that went out to buy their album to support a political view, not me.
I just buy music that I like from people that I like to listen to and respect.

Caine said:
If being "patriotic" is acting like half the people on this forum, i.e. turning a blind eye to everything and not questioning ANYTHING that our government does, because.. WE ARE THE U.S.A...., if that makes you patriotic, I don't want to be patriotic either. I haven't seen that many people on this forum that I consider a true patriot, so I don't have anyone to compare them to. I guess maybe Gunney is a real patriot, he feels the way he does about certain things, is proud to be an American, and doesn't let, "Because our government said so" get in his way of finding out the real issue with something. AKA He thinks for himself.

You can quit putting words in our mouths. Typical drivel. Someone doesn't agree with the spoonfed Moveon.org crap, and automatically those that disagree are mindless drones without the ability to think. Wrong. Show me the quote where I said I blindly accepted everything that is said by the current administration.
As for who is thinking for themselves, that is something that is open for debate, as I've read some comments on here that make one groan.

Caine said:
But as for supporting people who proclaim they do not want to be patriotic, I don't care, if I like thier music, Im going to buy it, I buy music to listen to it and enjoy it, I don't give a rats *** if im "supporting them" by doing so.

A musicians patriotism is the least of my concern when I am listening to thier music. To make that a priority in how I chose my form of entertainment would be equal to being one of those overly "fake" patriotic folks.

I can find plenty of musicians and actors that shut their mouths and stick to what they are good at. I know 99% are far to the left, or barely middle of the road, and that is fine.
But just as soon as they start making stupid comments that I find offensive, I have the right as a consumer to 'fire' my entertainer. Easily done, and they make their living out of my pocket and everyone elses that listens/watches them. So, I can and do choose to spend in that manner.

Cuts down on time spent looking for a new movie or CD, too.

Blue Collar Joe said:
You can quit putting words in our mouths. Typical drivel. Someone doesn't agree with the spoonfed Moveon.org crap, and automatically those that disagree are mindless drones without the ability to think. Wrong. Show me the quote where I said I blindly accepted everything that is said by the current administration.
As for who is thinking for themselves, that is something that is open for debate, as I've read some comments on here that make one groan.
Moveon.org? Whats that? Much to your disbelief, many of us don't fall into that "radical" side of partisan politics that you seem to think we all do. I guess I could say the same thing then. If we don't all agree with Dan Coulwhore and Bill O'Reilley than we are liberal ***** pacifists right? I think not. And, I don't think I recall me mentioning you by name in that paragraph you quoted. So you can take your requests for quotes from you elsewhere.

I can find plenty of musicians and actors that shut their mouths and stick to what they are good at. I know 99% are far to the left, or barely middle of the road, and that is fine.
But just as soon as they start making stupid comments that I find offensive, I have the right as a consumer to 'fire' my entertainer. Easily done, and they make their living out of my pocket and everyone elses that listens/watches them. So, I can and do choose to spend in that manner.

Cuts down on time spent looking for a new movie or CD, too.
Well, if thats how you feel.
Personally, I can find a way to seperate politics from my entertainment.

But, I guess if I looked at things like you do, I'd stop going to the bowling alley up the road because the owner is a republican, or stop going to the mall because they had a guy selling "Support Bush" bumper stickers outside.

Rubbish.

Caine said:
Moveon.org? Whats that? Much to your disbelief, many of us don't fall into that "radical" side of partisan politics that you seem to think we all do. I guess I could say the same thing then. If we don't all agree with Dan Coulwhore and Bill O'Reilley than we are liberal ***** pacifists right? I think not. And, I don't think I recall me mentioning you by name in that paragraph you quoted. So you can take your requests for quotes from you elsewhere.

Quoted you and responded after you quoted me and responded. Remember what you write and who you write it to. Who the hell is Dan Coulwhore? Bill O'Reilly takes turns ******* off everyone, and I find him too loud for my taste. I don't listen to talk radio. I read the news, and watch it.
Otherwise, I am a big boy and can make my own decisions.

Caine said:
Well, if thats how you feel.
Personally, I can find a way to seperate politics from my entertainment.

But, I guess if I looked at things like you do, I'd stop going to the bowling alley up the road because the owner is a republican, or stop going to the mall because they had a guy selling "Support Bush" bumper stickers outside.

Rubbish.

Take my words out of context all you want. I'd be forced to quit shopping at a few stores as well. As I stated clearly: This is entertainment. And a radical, either side of the aisle, I won't support. I am a thrice damned moderate.

Captain America said:
Bob Dylan? Tom Petty? Johnny Cash? Neil Young? Neither of those four can carry a tune in a toe-sack.

How can you possibly not like Neil Young?

talloulou said:
How can you possibly not like Neil Young?

Are you kidding me? I love Neil Young! I probably got every thing he ever recorded.

But the topic was talent. Talent is subjective. Personally, I think Neil's style is the shiznet but I can see how another might consider his music to be rather shrill.

I dig Tom Petty and Johnny Cash too. Bob Dylan is Bob Dylan! But who can deny that neither of them obviously ever attended a voice class? Their style is signature only to them.

A previous poster proclaimed the Chicks were talentless. I was merely disagreeing with him and using these guys for example.

I do have to wonder how many "patriotic" Americans who boycott the Dixie Chicks drive a foreign made car?

Back
Top Bottom