• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Divorce and the inevitable Male Crash-Burn

I see it all the time. Female leaves man; man falls apart, resorts to heavy drinking, loses job, loses home, gets arrested or worse--shoots to kill the partner who left him and takes own life. It almost never fails. The only remedy for the inevitable Male Crash-Burn is the good fortune of finding a new woman with the strength to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Now, is this CB condition a 100%? Well, I am sure there are exceptions to prove the rule. However, for the most part, show me a dude whose life fell apart, and I'll say, "He just got divorced, didn't he?"

Thoughts?
Yes. That does happen......but come on now....."it almost never er fails"......??????

In reality the scenario you describe does happen but is very rare.

In the vast majority of cases the man and woman both have some issues with the divorce for a while......it is a big deal........and then they move on with their lives.

All these years, I thought the divorce was my idea. But, when you learn she married up--way up--you gotta wonder if maybe she was a master in the power of suggestion via reverse psychology.

Yes. That does happen......but come on now....."it almost never er fails"......??????

In reality the scenario you describe does happen but is very rare.

In the vast majority of cases the man and woman both have some issues with the divorce for a while......it is a big deal........and then they move on with their lives.
I can count the seamless transitions on one hand. But, I've lost count of the crash-burns.

Now, that's not saying all guys who get divorced end up on skid row. No. I'm saying that their standard of living drops, their performance at work falls off enough to cause job-related issues, substance abuse becomes noticeable. They date, but holding onto a gf for more than a few weeks or months isn't likely. In short, you can bet on seeing a spiral. The only question is how far will they fall.

I can count the seamless transitions on one hand. But, I've lost count of the crash-burns.

Now, that's not saying all guys who get divorced end up on skid row. No. I'm saying that their standard of living drops, their performance at work falls off enough to cause job-related issues, substance abuse becomes noticeable. They date, but holding onto a gf for more than a few weeks or months isn't likely. In short, you can bet on seeing a spiral. The only question is how far will they fall.
You know that is just anecdotal right. You know that is a fact that the vast majority of divorces don't end in the man crashing and burning.

I get your point but if you are being literal and saying the vast majority of divorced men either find another woman right away or crash and burn......then you are factually mistaken

You know that is just anecdotal right.
Did you read the op? If so, you need not have needed to ask that question.
You know that is a fact that the vast majority of divorces don't end in the man crashing and burning.
Hmmm...I know of plenty that ended with both parties dead, from gunshots. Read it everyday, in fact.
I get your point but if you are being literal and saying the vast majority of divorced men either find another woman right away or crash and burn......then you are factually mistaken
I'd say it's age dependent. If I ended up divorced at this age, approaching 60, I'd probably stay single and do just fine. But, if I could somehow divorce again at 30, I know I better find a woman right-quick or I'll be in big trouble before reaching 31.

All these years, I thought the divorce was my idea. But, when you learn she married up--way up--you gotta wonder if maybe she was a master in the power of suggestion via reverse psychology.

IMO, women are much better at relationship then men, having less ego for one reason among many others. By the time it gets round to taking action, by the man or her, she's already thought it all through and is totally prepared, however her emotional presentation may be at the time. Either you've painted yourself into a corner or she has painted you into a corner. You don't have a chance. And I don't have a problem with that.

IMO, women are much better at relationship then men, having less ego for one reason among many others. By the time it gets round to taking action, by the man or her, she's already thought it all through and is totally prepared, however her emotional presentation may be at the time. Either you've painted yourself into a corner or she has painted you into a corner. You don't have a chance. And I don't have a problem with that.
My second wife took it hard when I dropped the divorce on her. She could not believe I was leaving her to go get drunk and **** around with bar sluts. But, she got over it, especially after seeing the settlement I put on the table.

It was me who lived to regret it for years thereafter. Like I've said, "But for the grace of god" (believe in him or not)...I barely survived my brush with the crash-burn.

My second wife took it hard when I dropped the divorce on her. She could not believe I was leaving her to go get drunk and **** around with bar sluts. But, she got over it, especially after seeing the settlement I put on the table.

It was me who lived to regret it for years thereafter. Like I've said, "But for the grace of god" (believe in him or not)...I barely survived my brush with the crash-burn.

I never ran around after or during separation. My crash-burn and survival, though, was pre-destined. It just took a long time to hit the ground and took her 27 yrs to find out something I wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't do that she wanted, which is on me. Each of us is the only person we have to, must, live with. I looked around and there was nobody in here but me.

I never ran around after or during separation. My crash-burn and survival, though, was pre-destined. It just took a long time to hit the ground and took her 27 yrs to find out something I wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't do that she wanted, which is on me. Each of us is the only person we have to, must, live with. I looked around and there was nobody in here but me.
I found it very difficult to remain sober after my separation/divorce. It wasn't one of those wake up and get drunk or high issues tho, thankfully. But, the benders, what would today be called binge-drinking, were way over the top and far beyond what would be considered healthy.

I often wondered what part of me I have difficulty with when alone. It became apparent that there was some sort of there there when on business trips, times when even after not drinking for months when home I would immediately resort to massively binging in the hotel bar rather than sit in the room alone.

It took years to work through that. Not that I received any answers. Only that I managed to overcome the need to escape solitude. Now, I rather enjoy my alone-time. So much so, in fact, that I now book rooms in quieter hotels which don't have bars.

I I found it very difficult to remain sober after my separation/divorce. It wasn't one of those wake up and get drunk or high issues tho, thankfully. But, the benders, what would today be called binge-drinking, were way over the top and far beyond what would be considered healthy.

I often wondered what part of me I have difficulty with when alone. It became apparent that there was some sort of there there when on business trips, times when even after not drinking for months when home I would immediately resort to massively binging in the hotel bar rather than sit in the room alone.

It took years to work through that. Not that I received any answers. Only that I managed to overcome the need to escape solitude. Now, I rather enjoy my alone-time. So much so, in fact, that I now book rooms in quieter hotels which don't have bars.

I never needed separation/divorce et al to drink. Never knew the diff.

I went to an outside yearly planning meeting and having a beer in the morning in front of my suprer, the Regional VP. I ended up handling his personal auto insurance with a drunk driving conviction. I can't tell you the stories, without forgetting more than I've told, of public, corp officials , personal and whomever I've known, and their spouses, in this spectrum.

In none of these posts do you hold anyone accountable for the divorce. In some cases, it's a dwindling of the quality of the relationship.

In others it's something egregious like cheating. People have guilt from these things that also affect their 'recovery' from the divorce.

Usually both are accountable to some extent but if the train wreck was the person who committed the egregious acts...they suffer those consequences.

I'd say it's age dependent. If I ended up divorced at this age, approaching 60, I'd probably stay single and do just fine. But, if I could somehow divorce again at 30, I know I better find a woman right-quick or I'll be in big trouble before reaching 31.
Why?

What is the 'need' there?

Why?

What is the 'need' there?
Going by past experience, I do not fair well single as a young man. I might do better as an old one tho.

Going by past experience, I do not fair well single as a young man. I might do better as an old one tho.
Doesnt sound like you fare that well married either.

Seriously, I hope you've done more self-examination than that. If you are not 'enough' (disciplined, secure, etc etc) on your own, someone else cant fix that.

And yes, that comes from about a million books, movies, and TV.

Last edited:
^ consistently more predictable than future experience
much like past history being superior to future history

I keep seeing these articles about women struggling to find good men. I can't help but think that men are rising up and figuring out marriage is bad deal for them.

I see it all the time. Female leaves man; man falls apart, resorts to heavy drinking, loses job, loses home, gets arrested or worse--shoots to kill the partner who left him and takes own life. It almost never fails. The only remedy for the inevitable Male Crash-Burn is the good fortune of finding a new woman with the strength to keep him on the straight and narrow.
Nope. I'm sure there are some losers in life with no sense of morality or aspiration beyond "marriage and a job", and that they set themselves up for angst due to their own unhealthy dependency, but what your describing is not a "normal, healthy person" - just the typical "incel mindset" - which seems to be fraught both with loathing and unhealthy attachment.

I've had about 15 partners, most were fairly short-term affairs - never married or had any children (and didn't want to). The sex was sometimes good (albeit sinful) but it didn't satisfy me as a person. And rushing into a relationship or marriage out of purely unhealthy attachment and dependency would be even worse.

I'm also just not aware of any men (or women) who are somewhat successful in any way that matters who think like this (whether we look at successful entrepreneurs, scientists, thinkers, philosophers, philanthropists, or others).

Now, is this CB condition a 100%? Well, I am sure there are exceptions to prove the rule. However, for the most part, show me a dude whose life fell apart, and I'll say, "He just got divorced, didn't he?"

Thoughts?
Yeah, my thought is that this is just the same vein of "incel logic" which has been more than done to death, not just by the incels and male virgins here, but countless other "griefing" sites.

All these years, I thought the divorce was my idea. But, when you learn she married up--way up
Apparently not...

Honestly, in a lot of cases, the reality may simply be that the man isn't desirable enough in some quality or another which she can easily get from another - so it would be just as much in her own "self-interest" to look around elsewhere as it would for a guy to get a divorce because he wants to date younger women.

So if a man is so weak and dependent that he couldn't function if some woman left him, that doesn't say much about his prospects to begin with (certainly not as far as survival of the fittest is concerned).

Usually this will be to push it in the direction the court appointed psychologist recommends for the children. Going up against that is going up against a tidal wave, and most of those are women tending to be more sympathetic to women claiming "psychological abuse" and that he is an abusive "control freak." That is almost standard pleading language in divorces involving children - claiming he is verbally and emotionally abusive.
More to the point about incel logic here - I'm sure courts may tend to be "biased" towards women in regards to child custody, but this isn't due to "feminism" or whatever incel conspiracy you seem to be hocking.

If anything, it's actually more due to older, "pre-feminist" thinking, such as tending to presume by default that women are more naturally qualified to care for children due to their biology and such.

I keep seeing these articles about women struggling to find good men. I can't help but think that men are rising up and figuring out marriage is bad deal for them.
Yeah, I guess if a man (or woman) signs a legally-binding contract without even bothering to read the fine print, that it could end up being a "bad deal".

So my question remains, if the agreement is a "bad deal", why did they sign it to begin with - and how do they get off on keeping the same incel-mindset of "blaming women" for the marriage contract or divorce? It's not like she held a gun to his head and forced him to sign anything.

Yeah, I guess if a man (or woman) signs a legally-binding contract without even bothering to read the fine print, that it could end up being a "bad deal".

So my question remains, if the agreement is a "bad deal", why did they sign it to begin with - and how do they get off on keeping the same incel-mindset of "blaming women" for the marriage contract or divorce? It's not like she held a gun to his head and forced him to sign anything.
Seems like it's taken many decades for men to realize that marriage isnt such a great idea...or have they even done so?...is it really just to make sure they get steady sex? Cuz we've known for a long time that once married, that tends to diminish.

Why are men who arent ready suckered into marriage so easily? ESPECIALLY if they arent ready for kids? (Societal and family expectations for $400 Alex! [RIP])

Is marriage such a great idea for men? Doesnt really seem like it unless they want kids...thing is...we've known this for about a hundred years. Or at least 50. Sooooooo....why blame women? (for anyone that is).

Doesnt sound like you fare that well married either.
Third time is a charm.
Seriously, I hope you've done more self-examination than that. If you are not 'enough' (disciplined, secure, etc etc) on your own, someone else cant fix that.
There is some of that in this thread.
And yes, that comes from about a million books, movies, and TV.
I go by what I see in R/L. Younger divorced men tend to crash burn. Younger may even extend clear up to 60.

Look at who kills their estranged significant other more often. Hint: It ain’t the woman.

Third time is a charm.

There is some of that in this thread.

I go by what I see in R/L. Younger divorced men tend to crash burn. Younger may even extend clear up to 60.

Look at who kills their estranged significant other more often. Hint: It ain’t the woman.
Um, plenty of older....35+... kill their wives/ex-wives. But yeah, of course it's usually the men.

The rest doesnt change anything I wrote. Some men seem unable to mature enough to realize that women arent possessions. And a lot of young women seem to think that's fine...until they feel the restrictions in their lives.

People need to overcome their hormones and grow up OR wait longer to marry. Humans havent caught up with hundreds of thousands of years of biological programming.

Um, plenty of older....35+... kill their wives/ex-wives. But yeah, of course it's usually the men.
That’s why I said older can go clear up to 60. 35 is still too testosterone laden.
The rest doesnt change anything I wrote. Some men seem unable to mature enough to realize that women arent possessions. And a lot of young women seem to think that's fine...until they feel the restrictions in their lives.
I’m not sure the crash-burn is a matter of possessiveness. The murder-suicides are tho.
People need to overcome their hormones and grow up OR wait longer to marry. Humans havent caught up with hundreds of thousands of years of biological programming.
I never should have married the first wife. But, the alternative was likely a crash-burn of a different type. I was pretty dangerous single, with money. Marriage was good for me; wives make sure I never have an extra thousand dollars in my wallet.

Staying is an interesting dynamic in its own right. Many stay due to financial dependence. Others are foolish and believe they can change persistent behavior. The woman in the example above was somewhat stuck: two kids and no career prospects. Nonetheless, she opted out rather than stay with a drunk.

I know of another couple. In that case, the female wears the britches due to huge disparity in income. Dude there knows better than to come home drunk or step out of line in any way shape or form. It's almost funny, like when his phone chirps and he urgently replies, saying, "I better take this. It's the wife."

Now, there's a woman who will take no shit.

And maybe that summarizes the whole reason women were oppressed for so long -- they made less money than men.

And maybe that summarizes the whole reason women were oppressed for so long -- they made less money than men.
That has certainly been the dynamic.

Why are men who arent ready suckered into marriage so easily? ESPECIALLY if they arent ready for kids?
Because we are young, in love, expressive, we think that we know everything... a million explanations.
However, it is not necessary to hang all the sins exclusively on men. Women also see who they marry. And a broken marriage isn't always just a man's fault.
I have already married for the third time... I was the initiator of the divorce in the previous two.
Yes, I'm not going to engage in self-deception and try to share the blame for broken marriages equally. I was a bad husband, I wasn't faithful to my wives. This is not a reason for pride or anger. This is a fact and in my mind, it was simply too early for me to get married.
But my friends saw what I was like. Egotistical, narcissistic, prone to female attention. But they married me, and I didn't force anyone to marry me.

Because we are young, in love, expressive, we think that we know everything... a million explanations.
However, it is not necessary to hang all the sins exclusively on men. Women also see who they marry. And a broken marriage isn't always just a man's fault.
I have already married for the third time... I was the initiator of the divorce in the previous two.
Yes, I'm not going to engage in self-deception and try to share the blame for broken marriages equally. I was a bad husband, I wasn't faithful to my wives. This is not a reason for pride or anger. This is a fact and in my mind, it was simply too early for me to get married.
But my friends saw what I was like. Egotistical, narcissistic, prone to female attention. But they married me, and I didn't force anyone to marry me.
After experiencing two “friends” end lives via murder-suicide in the very early 90’s, I made a comment. “I never had a male best friend. But, the asshole who takes my wife will be my best friend forever.”

Two years later, I’m happily helping some dude move in with my soon to be ex wife. Cal lives by his word.

Back
Top Bottom