• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Diversity trumps racism on Twitter after historic Miss America victory

opendebate

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Yeah, you're right. Racism IS dead.

I loathe this "competition" but come-on. She is a beautiful woman and evidently pretty classy because she chose to rise above and let it go.

Nina Davuluri … happens to be of Indian descent. In fact, she's the first Indian-American to be crowned Miss America,” Leslie Bentz reported for CNN.com. “But the tweets that followed the 2014 pageant in Atlantic City on Sunday night didn't focus on how it's the second consecutive year that a Miss New York has taken the crown, or about the judge's questions (including inquiries about Miley Cyrus and Syria). They were about Davuluri's heritage.”

On the feminist blog Jezebel, Laura Beck wrote, “Racists got so mad, they started mixing up Indian, Indian-American, Arab, Muslim, and everything in between. It's (literarily) a most impressive display of dumb mixed with intolerance and even more stupidity.”

some users tweeted that Davuluri was not ‘American enough’ to win the title while others went as far as to say she ‘looks like a terrorist

...after the dust settled a significant contingent of Twitter users voiced support for her.

It is however, encouraging to hear that so many supported her in response to the racist deluge.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...tter-after-historic-Miss-America-victory.html

Re: Diversity trumps racism...for some

Racists exist but there are more race-trollers than actual racists and they make up the majority of twitter, youtube and other such bottom-feeder comment sections.

I loathe this "competition" but come-on. She is a beautiful woman and evidently pretty classy because she chose to rise above and let it go.

Nina Davuluri … happens to be of Indian descent. In fact, she's the first Indian-American to be crowned Miss America,” Leslie Bentz reported for CNN.com. “But the tweets that followed the 2014 pageant in Atlantic City on Sunday night didn't focus on how it's the second consecutive year that a Miss New York has taken the crown, or about the judge's questions (including inquiries about Miley Cyrus and Syria). They were about Davuluri's heritage.”

On the feminist blog Jezebel, Laura Beck wrote, “Racists got so mad, they started mixing up Indian, Indian-American, Arab, Muslim, and everything in between. It's (literarily) a most impressive display of dumb mixed with intolerance and even more stupidity.”

some users tweeted that Davuluri was not ‘American enough’ to win the title while others went as far as to say she ‘looks like a terrorist

...after the dust settled a significant contingent of Twitter users voiced support for her.

It is however, encouraging to hear that so many supported her in response to the racist deluge.

Diversity trumps racism on Twitter after historic Miss America victory | Deseret News

Ms america.jpg

She's gorgeous.

Skinny legs, skinny arms, skinny nose and no military tattoos.

Liberal pretty I suppose.

All of the Miss America Pageant judges may have voted for Obama. (Story developing)

Are you actually claiming that liberals have a different definition of pretty than others, and that they conspired to fix the contest so that a "liberal body" would win?

Is a conservative body fat, big-nosed and tattooed? Frightening.

Are you asserting that the number racist morons exceed the number of morons that favored race based bussing and affirmative action? If race/ethnicity can be recognized and used for "good" then they certainly can be recognized and used for "bad". Reverse discrimination is still racial discrimination - is it not? That she chose to emphasize her Indian descent was a bit troubling to many, as this was a Miss America event, not a Miss Ethnicity event.

I love how people celebrate racial diversity as the peak of all diversity, when in fact, it's the most shallow and uninteresting form of diversity...
True diversity means diversity of thoughts, ideas, skills, backgrounds, fields of activity, pluarism in terms of ideology and the freedom to express and activate in all these things.

Celebrating racial diversity is like masturbating to a drawing made by Picasso. Sure it feels good but at the end of the day you only see what you want to see in that picture and you haven't achieved anything because Picasso's paintings aren't there to be masturbated to.

And the miss "anything" pageants are cultural cesspools anyway. Along with sweet 16, toddlers and tiaras and all that other crap.

Well you be the judge.

KellyM.jpg

Personally I don't think any liberal should be judging anything.
Not being capable of judging if a person would be competent as President back in 2008 could be considered just making a stupid mistake. But making the same mistake four years later. It's a dead giveaway that libs can't judge anything.

Diversity trumps racism on Twitter after historic Miss America victory | Deseret News

My state has an Indian-American Governor Nicky Haley imagine that the racist red state of SC having an Indian-American Governor. And it was the left that called her racist names im not talking about some anonymous blog post im talking about prominent Democrats. democrat Sen. Jake Knotts called her a rag head and and former democrat rep and SC DNC president "Dick" Harpootlian said we need to send her back where ever she came from

Last edited:

I love how people celebrate racial diversity as the peak of all diversity, when in fact, it's the most shallow and uninteresting form of diversity...
True diversity means diversity of thoughts, ideas, skills, backgrounds, fields of activity, pluarism in terms of ideology and the freedom to express and activate in all these things.

You sure didn't describe the Democrat Party. True diversity is forbidden under the Democrat tent. Goose stepping and being in lockstep is strictly enforced.

My state has an Indian-American Governor Nicky Haley imagine that the racist red state of SC having an Indian-American Governor. And it was the left that called her racist names im not talking about some anonymous blog post im talking about prominent Democrats. democrat Sen. Jake Knotts called her a rag head and and former democrat rep and SC DNC president "Dick" Harpootlian said we need to send her back where ever she came from

i'm not pointing fingers at any party. This article is about racism still being alive and does not mention any party. Why would you even bring that up? Defensive much?

You sure didn't describe the Democrat Party. True diversity is forbidden under the Democrat tent. Goose stepping and being in lockstep is strictly enforced.

To an extent, yes. However, I need only point you in the direction of "RINO" to let you know the same is incredibly true in the Republican Party.

Are you actually claiming that liberals have a different definition of pretty than others, and that they conspired to fix the contest so that a "liberal body" would win?

Believe it or not that is a claim being made. That the judges were liberal and this she does not represent american values because of her heritage. WTF

Not sure 'racism' applies here.

63% of Indians are Caucasoid. She appears to be just that.

And considering the Caste system, I doubt they are concerned about racism regardless.

The Twitter freaks don't even know what's what.

Believe it or not that is a claim being made. That the judges were liberal and this she does not represent american values because of her heritage. WTF

and are we not supposed to bring up political affiliation into the discussion? I guess it can not be mentioned if it makes the left look bad right?

Are you asserting that the number racist morons exceed the number of morons that favored race based bussing and affirmative action? If race/ethnicity can be recognized and used for "good" then they certainly can be recognized and used for "bad". Reverse discrimination is still racial discrimination - is it not? That she chose to emphasize her Indian descent was a bit troubling to many, as this was a Miss America event, not a Miss Ethnicity event.

This country is all about diversity. We are a melting pot. Embracing that reality and welcoming the traditions of the many ethnicities we represent, tolerance and acceptance. Those are pretty great values to present as American. Don't you think?

To an extent, yes. However, I need only point you in the direction of "RINO" to let you know the same is incredibly true in the Republican Party.

"RINOS", neoconservatives, conservatives, Tea Party conservatives, moderate Republicans, close to reactionary Republicans, pro amnesty Republicans, Rule of law Republicans, etc., etc. sounds like diversity to me.

"RINOS", neoconservatives, conservatives, Tea Party conservatives, moderate Republicans, close to reactionary Republicans, pro amnesty Republicans, Rule of law Republicans, etc., etc. sounds like diversity to me.

Not accepted diversity. Again, if you're accused of being a RINO, what they are really saying is "Get the **** out of this party."

and are we not supposed to bring up political affiliation into the discussion? I guess it can not be mentioned if it makes the left look bad right?

You can bring up whatever you like and I can comment on it as I like. I see it as a bit of a derailment is my point.

I know racists and other nutbags exist. However, APACHE is arguing that she has a liberal body. I didn't see him say anything about her heritage.

Media fascination with twiter is a mixed bag.I have no doubt that these opinions were shared by many. It is just that twitter and many other forms of online commentary typically bring the worst and most uneducated.

How does that necklace help swimming? -2 points.

It helps keep her top half submerged....Those wonderful globes look pretty buoyant ....:mrgreen:

I know racists and other nutbags exist. However, APACHE is arguing that she has a liberal body. I didn't see him say anything about her heritage.

I did not mean to imply that is what he was saying. I was referring to the racist nutbags the article references.

I'm not quite sure what he means by a liberal body but I'm liberal and that's exactly what my body looks like so, but I do have tatoos...so maybe he's onto something.

Media fascination with twiter is a mixed bag.I have no doubt that these opinions were shared by many. It is just that twitter and many other forms of online commentary typically bring the worst and most uneducated.

I don't know the details on that so I'll take your word for it. I consistently hear on this site that racism does not exist anymore so really, those are the people I am speaking to here.

Back
Top Bottom