• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Disturbing Video Shows Transgender Woman Being Attacked on NYC Train as Riders Watch

LaylaWindu

One with the Force
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]Disturbing Video Shows Transgender Woman Being Attacked on NYC Train as Riders Watch[/h]An aggressive subway rider berated a complete stranger aboard a New York City train using homophobic, transphobic and racist slurs – all while others looked on and did nothing.“When I sat down, I saw the woman in front of me and she keeps talking about me," said Pearl Love, who was on the receiving end of the tirade last Thursday. "All bad things, for 5 minutes.”The Bronx woman, who identifies as transgender, tried her best to ignore the subway rider, but the verbal attack escalated quickly on the Manhattan-bound No. 4 train.“She gets even louder and even aggressive and I did not say anything,” she told WPIX. “I don’t even know who she is, she doesn’t know who I am and [finally] then she stood up, got so mad and hit me.

”That’s when the video ends. Love claims the woman continued to assault her, even chasing her at one point.“No one around me is helping me basically because that’s the way it is,” she said.“It’s everyday life I mean, [it happens] at least a few times a week.”A reluctant Love posted the footage of the April 28 incident on Facebook on the advice of friends. It has since been viewed nearly a quarter of a million times.Incidents like these happen so often, Love says, that she didn’t even consider pressing charges on her attacker.In 2014, she was the victim of a brutal stabbing. A year later she and a friend were attacked in the East Village. Both times, she said, she was targeted for being transgender.“So much of that happens [often] that I’m kind of ok [with it] now,” she said. “I think it's good that now I know my rights because I have to learn how to tell people on how to protect themselves.”

Disturbing Video Shows Transgender Woman Being Attacked on NYC Train as Riders Watch | KTLA

Wow that woman assaulting Pearl is the definition of what s piece of **** human being is . . .so said . . . its also said that nobody supposedly helped her. I would have.

Re: Disturbing Video Shows Transgender Woman Being Attacked on NYC Train as Riders Wa

She looked drunk..

Breaking: Woman attacks guy!! That never ever happens (shh don't tell anybody) but this time it matters because the guy wanted to be a girl..

Re: Disturbing Video Shows Transgender Woman Being Attacked on NYC Train as Riders Wa

She looked drunk..

Breaking: Woman attacks guy!! That never ever happens (shh don't tell anybody) but this time it matters because the guy wanted to be a girl..

I have no idea what you just said...

I have no idea what you just said...

I was wondering that myself.

That woman definitely should not treat handicapped people that way.

I'd say there's more evidence of criminal assault is handicapped then the victim.

I'd say there's more evidence of criminal assault is handicapped then the victim.

Feeling you are something you are not is a handicap, if it drives you to demonstrate it in circumstances in which you are continuously assaulted. That is not to say that the assault isn't stupid and criminal.

That woman definitely should not treat handicapped people that way.

The transsexual in this case is not handicapped in any way. I will offer you the same thing I offer others. If you want some education on this issue, ask.

Feeling you are something you are not is a handicap, if it drives you to demonstrate it in circumstances in which you are continuously assaulted. That is not to say that the assault isn't stupid and criminal.

So, not only are you completely misrepresenting what a transsexual is (not handicapped), but you are partially blaming the victim.

The transsexual in this case is not handicapped in any way. I will offer you the same thing I offer others. If you want some education on this issue, ask.

He is certainly handicapped. Whether it makes any difference is a different matter.

So, not only are you completely misrepresenting what a transsexual is (not handicapped), but you are partially blaming the victim.

Victimology seems to indicate that victims are often partly responsible for what happens.
And that it is a handicap is quite obvious. Or don't you recognize the challenge?

He is certainly handicapped. Whether it makes any difference is a different matter.

No, he is not. He is transsexual. And a victim is a victim. You blaming the victim is a really stupid argument.

No, he is not. He is transsexual. And a victim is a victim. You blaming the victim is a really stupid argument.

Blame? That is a different category. I was talking cause.

Victimology seems to indicate that victims are often partly responsible for what happens.

And since victims are not responsible for what happens, this does not apply.

And that it is a handicap is quite obvious. Or don't you recognize the challenge?

Actually, it is not... unless you choose to alter the generally used definition of handicap. Now, if you are going to get into a silly semantic argument, you are going to lose. The term used here is transsexual. Transsexuals are not considered handicapped. Your usage of the term is irrelevant. I hope we are clear.

Blame? That is a different category. I was talking cause.

Neither applies.

Fear prevented good people from intervening.

It is the America that we live in today.

Fear prevented good people from intervening.

It is the America that we live in today.

Maybe. Might also be a facet of the Kitty Genovese Effect.

Maybe. Might also be a facet of the Kitty Genovese Effect.

I read Harlan Ellison's fantasy short story based on Kitty when I was 12. Very intense and harrowing tale.

In all seriousness, could you please explain how you see this transgender person as being handicapped? Also, how do you see the victim of this particular assault as causing the attack? From my observation the person that was attacked was neither handicapped, or guilty of causing their own assault.

She looked drunk..

many people prefer to be jerks in this world and they are not always attacked

And since victims are not responsible for what happens, this does not apply.

Actually, it is not... unless you choose to alter the generally used definition of handicap. Now, if you are going to get into a silly semantic argument, you are going to lose. The term used here is transsexual. Transsexuals are not considered handicapped. Your usage of the term is irrelevant. I hope we are clear.

You don't like the term? Fine by me, if you want to lie to yourself. Because I can hardly believe you don't recognize that persons driven to behavior that puts them at major disadvantage and risk, while handicapping them severely in most spheres of life.

In all seriousness, could you please explain how you see this transgender person as being handicapped? Also, how do you see the victim of this particular assault as causing the attack? From my observation the person that was attacked was neither handicapped, or guilty of causing their own assault.

He feels driven to behave in a way that reduces his chances of success in most spheres of life, increases risks etc. This drivenness is an obvious handicap. That most of us don't think of it as such has to do with the fact that it is not the way we are supposed to think and is not at all pc to say

He feels driven to behave in a way that reduces his chances of success in most spheres of life, increases risks etc. This drivenness is an obvious handicap. That most of us don't think of it as such has to do with the fact that it is not the way we are supposed to think and is not at all pc to say

Its not a matter of it being 'pc to say' or not, its a matter of accuracy. Its been my experience that almost everybody 'behaves in a way that reduces their chances of success' in one way or another. That they are handicapping themselves in the arena of life doesn't make them 'handicapped' Nor does it in any way justify being assaulted or subject to violence. But I would be curious as to what 'handicap' you feel a person who initiates violence upon another suffers from.

Back
Top Bottom